test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Death Rattle: Our First Serialized Story!

We're rolling out a brand new way to bring new stories to Champions Online - Serialized Stories! Learn more about the first, Death Rattle, here!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11191513

Comments

• ragadolfragadolf Posts: 95 Arc User
    OK, now this sounds fun and interesting.

Looking forward to more info!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    And playerbase get to vote who will die and after that the game ends....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • I am pleasantly surprised. I hope this leads to more new content.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    With a title like this I am hoping for a skull-shaped maraca as a costume/weapon unlock ;).

I am guessing this is something to celebrate the game's 10th anniversary as well?

Hoping that this new features goes well.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Getting new content is encouraging in itself, however it pans out. Hopefully it will prove to be a sustainable format going forward.

I just pray this one isn't magic-based. The game really needs to branch beyond that. :#
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Agreed.
    bulgarex wrote: »
    I just pray this one isn't magic-based. The game really needs to branch beyond that. :#

I wonder if we'll see Nemesis villains in any of these? That would be a nice way to vary the content in a small way so that the runs are a bit different.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    Champions Online: Battle Royale​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And playerbase get to vote who will die and after that the game ends....

Ahhh...interesting catch there :smile:
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Well, that's promising. But of course, there will still be people going about like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzuRXLzqKk
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    This is awesome. And given that it seems to focus on a Biker Gang in Westside, it gives the vigilantes out there a theme appropriate story to play.

I do find the name "Death Rattle" a bit Freudian. Given that the Cobra Lords use a snake theme, the name makes sense. But it's also kinda funny given how many doomsayers we having claiming the end of CO is near.
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    Something new! I’m excited to learn more about these.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    OMG1 Hell must have frozen over...actual NEW content for Champions Online (supposedly at a faster pace then once per calendar year? What happened did someone put the proposal on Neverwinter or Star Trek Online letterhead; and the suits with the purse strings didn't realize what game they approved expenditures for until it was too late? ;)

Damn, I might actually have to log into the game again....>GASP< :astonished:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • brfabeirasbrfabeiras Posts: 182 Arc User
    That's just awesome! And since today is my birthday... best present ever!!!
    Time to hit 40 with my costumed vigilante :)
    I really hope this new kind of content goes well and we have it on a regular basis.
  • Does it provide tokens to spend at an event store?

(also, somebody forgot to post the Personal Magnifiers picture in this thread)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The new way of releasing content appears to be identical to a comic series, but new content is always welcome.
    The new way of releasing content appears to be identical to a comic series, but new content is always welcome.

I had a similar thought, but it sounds like they're not coming out as a package like the comic series did, but more spaced out, I guess as time and budget permits. But we'll see.
    edited June 2019
    This is a completely unfounded, wild guess, but I'm hoping this series will
    introduce King Cobra and COIL to Champions Online.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 736 Arc User
    I'm amazed you guys have resources to do this, seeing how most of the production is either going to NWO or Magic the Gathering: the MMO.
  • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Posts: 64 Arc User
    I'm excited about the prospect of new stories. I hope this proves to be a successful and sustainable model.

Since it's starting with the Cobra Lords, I'm hoping, but not holding my breath, for a cruiser-shaped grav bike, feet-forward riding position and all. Can't imagine we'll get new content and new toys, though.
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Every time I see the boss of the Cobra Lords in that meeting with Hi-Pan that you and Defender end up crashing (which has been quite a few times by now), I always have the thought that the Cobra Lords should get more love. Glad to see that they're finally getting it! =)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I had a similar thought, but it sounds like they're not coming out as a package like the comic series did, but more spaced out, I guess as time and budget permits. But we'll see.

Comic series' came out spaced, though I wouldn't be surprised by the spacing being longer.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Unfortunately, the PTS seems to be down, so we can't test it out yet.

Comic series' came out spaced, though I wouldn't be surprised by the spacing being longer.

Well, technically. One episode released per week, which implies they had the whole thing ready to go when they started. When the Death Rattle announcement says the first episode will be delivered "over the coming weeks," and the whole thing will come out "over the course of time," I get the impression they're still working on it and the episodes will have much longer gaps in between. But perhaps I'm too pessimistic.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    New story-led content is a good thing, and it's good to see some of the existing NPC characters being re-used (haven't done Bunker Buster for ages but always found it fun). I hope the story is self-contained, has a beginning, middle and end - no enigmas or Q zone style "The struggle goes on...." cop outs - and that there are enough resources to finish it. Too many loose ends and half finished ideas in CO, let's make this one work!
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Let's just hope this won't end up as forgettable content like 80% of the game. Even the recent ones are mostly ignored, I'm kind of surprised we're getting some "content" now.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    Clickbaiting name as it is: I assume this is like the old identical comic series that was released a few years back and not what most people think it is, yes?.
    Psi.
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    avianos wrote: »
    Champions Online: Battle Royale​​

And the first joke of the day, well done.
    Post edited by circleofpsi#4619 on
    Psi.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Perhaps the time is right for repayable content giving generally useful rewards. If it doesnt have a team finale, even better.
  • dialamx wrote: »
    This is awesome. And given that it seems to focus on a Biker Gang in Westside, it gives the vigilantes out there a theme appropriate story to play.

I do find the name "Death Rattle" a bit Freudian. Given that the Cobra Lords use a snake theme, the name makes sense. But it's also kinda funny given how many doomsayers we having claiming the end of CO is near.

I get it, they're letting us down easy. Giving some content as anesthetic then the deletion happens...…. Then all we will have is DC Online. :s
  • If this is a West Side story (excuse the jokes), then I think at least the first bit will be easier because there's no magic involved. Cobra Lords are just guns and muscle. I find them to be easy kills, granted we won't be dealing with the level 10 versions either.
  • thecrusaderxthecrusaderx Posts: 11 Arc User
    Alright Cryptic, you gained my interest in coming back to this game.

I am just glad its something new for a change. I do like this game so anything new is a good thing to me.

• captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    Wow, wow, wow.

Really looking forward to this. :)