test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for help with an Energy build with some Melee

Hi all,

I'm super late to the champions party, but it's something I've always wanted to try and I finally have the chance. I am hoping to make a good, or at least decent, free form build, but most of the information is extremely old, and there doesn't seem to be a build doing what I want anyways. I am trying to model a character somewhat on DC's Starfire (I know there are a million and one different versions of her powers and what she does), but basically I am trying to create an energy/radiation/flame style blaster (depending on which works best) but one who is exceedingly tough, and can do some melee. Obviously sacrificing some DPS to do that would be necessary.

I found this build, which looks kinda like what I am going for in terms of radiation and survivability:

http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/2911/cosmos-power-cosmic

But I'd like to add some sort of melee, even if only just for flavor. In my ideal world I'd have a ranged/melee hybrid build but there seems to be no real way to do that, or at least not without severely screwing myself for end game —so at the very least I'd like to add a little punchiness to a ranged tank/dps just for RP purposes. Does anyone have any advice? Or any other builds that might work better? It'd be much appreciated. I'm pretty new so I don't think I am up for doing my own from-scratch build, cause I want it to be solid for PVE if possible.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    Well, you have to be careful trying to do too many roles/things w/ one build in CO- esp when starting out. And yea, CO doesn't generally allow you to mix melee into primarily ranged specs that well (ranged attacks can at least be used in melee builds for wider AoE or for situational extra reach). I may just start w/ a basic Fire dps build, make it a hybrid-dps w/ R3 Invuln so its sturdier (though has less dps), and then maybe leave a power slot for a melee attack:

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=32&n=&d=15830baWPXNQ000000200024052D0065009A032F05K5032M072N082O05ON012C01J2002Q000ckr3BIR2MGB20000000000&e=

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fireball (Rank 2, Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 6: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Pyre (Rank 2, Backdraft)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 23: Flashfire (Fan the Flames)
    Level 26: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Fire Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Defensive Combo
    Level 38: Fiery Embrace
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Fireball can be used as a basic ranged AoE and ranged opener attack, while Pyre is a wider pbAoE that you can charge in the middle of more scattered groups. Flashfire and Firesnake should generally be used when available to apply and refresh debuffs like Clinging Flames and Engulfing Flames. Incinerate is your main single-target attack to use while those buffs are rolling. I put unranked Defense Combo in there just for the melee theme, but ofc I wouldn't advise using it heavily or for serious content. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con and End.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    pistachioshakepistachioshake Posts: 3 Arc User
    Okay! I'll give it a shot, thanks a bunch!