test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    I fall on the part that's not on your hard drive, and can't see the pic.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    It's not here either?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    It's a .jpg file. If it's not on your hard drive, where is it? It's not on mine.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    Who is "we" and what kind of grid is that
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Between Toony and Photo-like...I guess.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's a .jpg file. If it's not on your hard drive, where is it? It's not on mine.

It's on the interwebs \o3o/
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Posts: 24 Arc User
    Your scatter grid is not represented correctly. Photo realistic would be the polar opposite of cartoon or toony so these items should be on the same axis. Heavy stylizing would mean very formal and the proper polar opposite on the other axis should be the anime style since the eyeballs and body parts are disproportionate to the image. All fixed now...

scatter-chart.jpg
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Not on there anywhere.
    [NbK]XStorm
    Your scatter grid is not represented correctly.

I didn't make it u3u though I disagree with your changes. Photorealistic is generally the opposite of stylized graphics
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Posts: 24 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »

I didn't make it u3u though I disagree with your changes. Photorealistic is generally the opposite of stylized graphics

I have to go to work today, but I spoke to a friend about it. I trust his artistic opinion over my own. He wasn't quite sure what I was talking about, so I sent him the two images. He said I am correct about, Photo realistic and Cartoon is the other ends of the spectrum. But anime is not the opposite of Heavy stylizing. In his opinion, he explained the correct axis would be a saturation line between Detailed to Abstract. Anime is a Japanese word that means animation, but it is also a style of its own, that could fall on several places on this grid and not just one end of it. After our talk this morning he asked, "What the heck are you working on over there, that you had to call and wake me up at 4 AM?" I replied, that if I told him, people would know, and that information could put him at risk. Best just go back to bed and forget I ever called you.

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    1. I could perfectly see the Image OP posted without an issue since the creation of the thread, I don't know what technical issues the first posts are experiencing

2. OP didn't make this Chart, Here is the Artist who made this chart https://bengaly.art/post/171394325469/the-only-true-compass-have-fun-calling-ur-friends posted on 28 February 2018

3. and that being set, my artistic inspiration and influence is inbtween Anime and Toony, but mostly greatly influenced by Kemono artists

4. I need to mentioned that Asian Anthro artists are called Kemono (translated literally into Beast/Beastmen) and have an incredible Distinguished artstyle compared to the west
    Just copy paste the definition of wiki from the booru, since it does better job explaining
    DWHqqAy.png
    Kemono Artstyle example: Nomad from Tokyo Afterschool Summoners (and every anthro character in the game) and is combined with the BARA Genre
    fg_nomad01.png​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Between Anime and Toony for me. :p
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    The second you put the feline heads in that "chart", my thought was *YECHH! Nowhere!!!!*
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited June 2019

I have to go to work today, but I spoke to a friend about it. I trust his artistic opinion over my own. He wasn't quite sure what I was talking about, so I sent him the two images. He said I am correct about, Photo realistic and Cartoon is the other ends of the spectrum. But anime is not the opposite of Heavy stylizing. In his opinion, he explained the correct axis would be a saturation line between Detailed to Abstract. Anime is a Japanese word that means animation, but it is also a style of its own, that could fall on several places on this grid and not just one end of it. After our talk this morning he asked, "What the heck are you working on over there, that you had to call and wake me up at 4 AM?" I replied, that if I told him, people would know, and that information could put him at risk. Best just go back to bed and forget I ever called you.

Ask your friend to give you an example of highly stylized photorealistic.
    avianos wrote: »
    and is combined with the BARA Genre

Avianos BARAS his way into the battle O3o
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    rSu9r34.png
    • Thick outlines everywhere
    • Characters that are mostly proportioned like real-life humans
    • Usage of a lot of realistic textures in spite of outlines
    • Attempts at anime characters in this game just look like strange bugs or goblins especially if they're guys
    • That toony tiger head will basically be a costume unlock by the end of this year.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

Well, I personally tend toward the photorealistic, what with existing in external reality and all that sort of thing...

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Considering all 4 corners feature furries, hopefully nowhere.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • animal character != furry - you need to learn the definition of terms before you go speaking out of ignorance...and so does most of the planet's population​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    animal character != furry - you need to learn the definition of terms before you go speaking out of ignorance...and so does most of the planet's population​​
    If most of the planet disagrees with you about what a word means, you're the one who's wrong.
  • no, it means most of the planet is full of ignorant assholes who never bother to do even the most BASIC research​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    The term "furry" is often used to describe anthropomorphic characters in general, not that I agree with it and believe that there should be a distinction between anthropomorphic characters in general and the term used to describe a subculture.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    yes, it is used wrongly - and usually in a derogatory manner to boot, so i will damn well verbally bitchslap anyone i see saying it every time it comes up

and the distinction ALREADY exists, really - 'furry' only applies to the people who are part of that particular culture, not their characters or any other humanoid animal - the correct term for the latter is ANTHRO; that's why it exists​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I mean, I'm willing to bet if you asked the majority of people who aren't knowledgeable about the subculture to describe the characters Judy and Nick from Zootopia, the automatic answer would be "bunny" and "fox" respectively.

Because "Furry bunny" and "Furry fox" just sounds stupid.
  • well...i think people would at least say 'talking' bunny/fox in that case...but essentially, yes​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    no, it means most of the planet is full of ignorant assholes who never bother to do even the most BASIC research​​
    Words mean what people think they mean, there is no such thing as objective meaning for words.
    no, it means most of the planet is full of ignorant assholes who never bother to do even the most BASIC research​​
    Words mean what people think they mean, there is no such thing as objective meaning for words.

And therefore sesquipedalian banana foxtrot. Peaches! Peaches and frottage!!

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    yeah, what he said...whatever the fork it was he said

wait, what the hell is sesquipedalian?! that's not even a w-oh my dog, it is a word​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    and is combined with the BARA Genre

Avianos BARAS his way into the battle O3o
    ALWAYS! Bara Kemono artists are the BEST
    fa8.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Prissy little shiz get too much attention. Boof Baras need more love!
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Excuse me,

what is this.

D9eYAvtXUAA8lOW.jpg
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited June 2019
    Excuse me,

what is this.

A reminder that the CO population has a lot of artists in it o3o at least that's what it turned out to be
    aesica wrote: »

Considering how many furry costume sets came out recently and the fact that you can always see at least 2 furries no matter where you look... I think we fall on all four corners simultaneously...and the axis between them are all covered in fluids u3u
    animal character != furry - you need to learn the definition of terms before you go speaking out of ignorance...and so does most of the planet's population​​

animal characters aren't furry? then what's with all the fur? is my dog no longer furry?
    2EVxWd7.png
    And therefore sesquipedalian banana foxtrot. Peaches! Peaches and frottage!!

Uh...bananas dancing the foxtrot while using big words? ...peaches rubbing against each other lewdly? ...or is it the art thing...

oh wait no, it's none of that. You actually have to tell me what new meanings you're using for those words because now we live in a world where everyone is using personal definitions for all words. FINE then my entire vocabulary is composed of the words Dark Souls being used for every single word in existence! Dark souls. Dark souls dark souls dark souls, dark souls dark souls. Dark souls dark souls? Dark souls!
    edited June 2019
    This chart is about ARTSTYLES! Nobody said Anime is the same with Anthro WTF?
    tumblr_ooa42tJVgP1w5n7slo4_1280.jpg
    Unrelated picture of Yohei from Grimoire of Zero... an ANTHRO character in anime ARTSTYLE. AKA A kemono :smirk:
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Not on there anywhere.
    aesica wrote: »
    Just pick an Artstyle and GO! This chart can literally apply on everything with an Stylistic choice. From Anthro to Humans to Monsters to Robots to Toasters to your shitty plastic Waifus with the personality of a cardbox tiger-35.gif
    Prissy little shiz get too much attention. Boof Baras need more love!
    MY MAN CHAOS KNOWS WHAT IS UP!

952.gif
    animal character != furry - you need to learn the definition of terms before you go speaking out of ignorance...and so does most of the planet's population

animal characters aren't furry? then what's with all the fur? is my dog no longer furry?

Furry has become such a Bastardized and homogenized Term over the years! The correct Term is still ANTHRO
    What are you gonna call a character with No Fur? Furry? They DON'T EVEN HAVE FUR!
    • Anthro Mammal with Fur chars are called Furries
    • Anthro Birds chars are called Avians
    • Anthro Reptiles chars are called Scalies
    • Anthro Insects chars are called Insectoids
    • Anthro Plant chars Flora Fauna
    Just call them Anthro. It's the Correct Term and has a Massive range! Even Insects and Plants can apply!
    WV4MfTC.png
    GREEKS didn't invent words and terms for you to NOT use them​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • why does this part of the forum not have a Like button the way the neverwinter portion does? we really need one here​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    your shitty plastic Waifus with the personality of a cardbox

Why are you like this? o3o
    Furry has become such a Bastardized and homogenized Term over the years! The correct Term is still ANTHRO
    What are you gonna call a character with No Fur? Furry? They DON'T EVEN HAVE FUR!
    • Anthro Mammal with Fur chars are called Furries
    • Anthro Birds chars are called Avians
    • Anthro Reptiles chars are called Scalies
    • Anthro Insects chars are called Insectoids
    • Anthro Plant chars Flora Fauna
    Just call them Anthro. It's the Correct Term and has a Massive range! Even Insects and Plants can apply!
    WV4MfTC.png
    GREEKS didn't invent words and terms for you to NOT use them​​

Wait... my dog is an anthro?
    CjcQBE6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    If you want to use definitions, then "anthropomorphization" refers to the process of ascribing human characteristics to non-humans, not human shapes. For instance, claiming your car doesn't start one morning because it's "tired" would be a case of anthropomorphizing your car.

However, we've been informed that words have no objective meaning and in fact mean exactly what the person using them wants them to mean, so instead froggy leftist pancakes.

Why are you like this? o3o
    Because I'm Gay and Tired​​
    edited June 2019
    However, we've been informed that words have no objective meaning and in fact mean exactly what the person using them wants them to mean, so instead froggy leftist pancakes.

If you think about it, objectivity doesn't exist because the only way for something to be objective means removing all subjectivity which means removing all non-omnipotent observers from the situation, but once you do that there's nobody to even think about the concept of objectivity to give it meaning. Nothing is nothing but it can't be nothing because nothing is nothing!
    How did you arrive at that from what I said? I did say that words have no objective meaning, but that doesn't mean that its meaning is what the speaker wants. The meaning of a word is whatever is communicated by using the word, so to the degree it has a preferred meaning, it's whatever the majority of listeners will understand it to mean.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    There's what the speaker (if attempting to be truthful; i.e. not playing word games like a politician) thinks/hopes a word means, and then there is what the listeners understand it to mean.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited June 2019
    How did you arrive at that from what I said? I did say that words have no objective meaning, but that doesn't mean that its meaning is what the speaker wants. The meaning of a word is whatever is communicated by using the word, so to the degree it has a preferred meaning, it's whatever the majority of listeners will understand it to mean.

At some point an objective meaning has to be defined. I guess maybe that's when a certain percentage of cultural undertow takes hold. The claim that words have no objective meaning is actually false. Humans determine objectivity, hence words can have an objective meaning. Yes, that means that objectivity is actually subjective, but that's the weird world of perception based on senses that give us input that we cannot verify as absolute that we live in.
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    At some point an objective meaning has to be defined.
    Why? You can make objective statements about how people interpret a given word, but that doesn't mean the word has an objective meaning.
    edited June 2019
    At some point an objective meaning has to be defined.
    Why? You can make objective statements about how people interpret a given word, but that doesn't mean the word has an objective meaning.

The rest of my post answers that. To put it more simply: because if we don't we can't communicate using words. Not sure if ya heard, but doing that is kind of a big deal for the entirety of human civilization, so kinda important.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|
    ┳┻| _
    ┻┳| •.•) It’s poorly cel-shaded
    ┳┻|⊂ノ Claymation
    ┻┳|
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Philosophy students. They'll starve to death next to a smorgasbord while arguing over whether "taste" is a real thing.

The rest of my post answers that. To put it more simply: because if we don't we can't communicate using words.
    Sure we can. Words don't need an objective meaning to be useful for communication, they just need an agreed on meaning.
    they just need an agreed on meaning.

That's how objectivity works.
    they just need an agreed on meaning.

That's how objectivity works.
    It pretty much is, everywhere except philosophy departments. My inclinations are more toward engineering - accepting the concept of an external reality is part of that.

edited June 2019
    It pretty much is, everywhere except philosophy departments. My inclinations are more toward engineering - accepting the concept of an external reality is part of that.

Yes, and I'm sure someday we'll figure out a way to sense that external reality in absolute, undeniable terms. Until then, bridges and power plants are just constructs of consensual reality. Also when we figure how to do that, philosophy pretty much dies.