Install Arc

Lezard's "How to be an ASSet in High Noon" flowchart

lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Champions Online Discussion
RIP​​
Post edited by lezard21 on

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In the context of High Noon, hybrid should just have a pointer to "You're a tank".
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Yeah but then the chart would end up looking super ugly. Trust me I tried everything I could to be super inclusive towards hybrids and every scenario ended up looking this same way:
    sHnmOPH.jpg​​
  • But what if they're a CCer? Or a petmaster?
    But what if they're a CCer? Or a petmaster?
    Hm.

CCer: -> Go tank towers (because almost everything there can be CCed usefully)
    Petmaster -> Go tank towers (because the big bot blows up pets like mad, and pets are perfectly good at distracting all the spawns).
  • Has anyone ever told you that you take things far too seriously?
    Has anyone ever told you that you take things far too seriously?
    You asked a question that was not inherently dumb and was easy to answer. Why not answer it?
    plz no fighting, you'll end up getting my serious guide thread closed​​
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Hybrids = try to tank, get one shotted, please go back to MC, to make room for competent DPS.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Hybrids = try to tank, get one shotted, please go back to MC, to make room for competent DPS.

None of my toons are welcome. Gotcha. Guess I'll go play STO instead.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Oh, I see people have already forgotten that this is one of the more hybrid-friendly events and are trying to chase them off with dumb hybrid hate. Well, that didn't take long. u3u​​
    are you calling me a hybrigot?​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Yellow Tower bestest Tower!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I usually either tank or heal. If I'm on Tanya I'll usually tank a mini-boss because she's a Regen tank and can do that without a healer.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Should add a clause for how many roles a Hybrid can fill and then tell them to do them all at once.

BFBOHJ.jpg​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

deadman20 wrote: »
    BFBOHJ.jpg

d'aaawww yes you do :3
    DZKing.gif
    (this one is still my favorite)​​
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    As a Hybrid I take offense to this... I do massive aoe damage to the mobs around the towers and CC them at the same time.. I have enough defense keep me alive without having to rely on healers... I'm the guy you see pulling locking the mobs down in groups and stunning them.

Hybrids aren't useless we have our niche
    @Powerblast in game
    chuckwolf wrote: »

That's not true, you have all the niches!
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    You forgot one, Lezard.

Are you Munitions DPS?

No->Feeds back into the flowchart

Yes-> lol enjoy your upcoming nerf, better get those Ascii mods while you're still decent
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I see the event still has the problem of Wrong DPS-Tank distribution for the Towers thinking-face_1f914.png
    and European Hours is a huge NO-NO​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    As a Hybrid I take offense to this... I do massive aoe damage to the mobs around the towers and CC them at the same time.. I have enough defense keep me alive without having to rely on healers... I'm the guy you see pulling locking the mobs down in groups and stunning them.

The problem is that the hybrid's niche isn't relevant in most content. A hybrid with a defensive passive is tougher than a dps and has better damage and self-sustain (due to a healing bonus) than a tank. This gives them an edge where you don't expect a healer, you don't need the threat of a tank, and dps aren't durable enough, but that's a rather narrow use case.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited June 2019

The problem is that the hybrid's niche isn't relevant in most content. A hybrid with a defensive passive is tougher than a dps and has better damage and self-sustain (due to a healing bonus) than a tank. This gives them an edge where you don't expect a healer, you don't need the threat of a tank, and dps aren't durable enough, but that's a rather narrow use case.

This is exactly where I'm at I use a defensive passive so I ignore most attacks and those that can damage me are easily prevented through blocking. While still maintaining a reasonable amount of damage, sure I'm not DPS and I don't claim to be but I also don't get killed because a villian level mob decides to attack me and I miss a block either.

Outside of the Snake Gulch event that confuses me is when fighting Kiga, I still wonder how people are constantly dying to the storms, I completely ignore them, I don't even have to block. Yet others are dropping like flies to them it confuses me.
    @Powerblast in game

maxresdefault.jpg

You needa get one of these. It was a joke. The ha ha kind.

Also how 2019 to take offense at your virtual character :^)​​

That's the opposite of the truth. Hybrids strengths are completely relevant in the vast majority of content. The only place they're not fully relevant is the handful of hyper-specialized trinity content, and even there they have the potential to fill a role. Just because some people have the build philosophy of "only build for cosmics" doesn't suddenly change the fact that hybrid builds dominate everything else.
    edited June 2019
    lezard21 wrote: »
    You needa get one of these. It was a joke. The ha ha kind.

Also how 2019 to take offense at your virtual character :^)​​

r u sure they were responding 2 ur comment? cause I wasn't, and you assumed I was too :^o nbxs is the most roleist one in the thread! you'll need to try harder if you want to compete with their roleism!
    spinnytop wrote: »
    That's the opposite of the truth. Hybrids strengths are completely relevant in the vast majority of content. The only place they're not fully relevant is the handful of hyper-specialized trinity content.
    Most of the game is too easy to make hybrid strengths relevant; a dps is faster unless the content is hard enough that you keep dying.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    A player may opt to use Hybrid role for their AoED to get the bigger percentage of its buff while solo'ing and letting teammates benefit from the smaller percentage buff during the occasional alert. Since the player isn't entirely support-focus, it means that self-buff is the primary focus and buffing teammates in alerts would be a side utility.

Just one example I can think of with the Hybrid role being relevant, if we aren't talking cosmics.

But since the majority of content is so easy, one can argue that there isn't any one role or build that has any real relevance over the other. It's just a matter of whether the build and role is gratifying to play on a personal level.
    Most of the game is too easy to make hybrid strengths relevant; a dps is faster unless the content is hard enough that you keep dying.

At best that makes all roles equal in that content, meaning hybrids are equally relevant. Not everything is about completing content 2 seconds faster.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    But, if you are a tank and not leveling up in a vehicle doing mostly OM missions during a 2xExp event, you may want to run in hybrid to take down mobs faster.
    That's the opposite of the truth. Hybrids strengths are completely relevant in the vast majority of content. The only place they're not fully relevant is the handful of hyper-specialized trinity content.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    But, if you are a tank and not leveling up in a vehicle doing mostly OM missions during a 2xExp event, you may want to run in hybrid to take down mobs faster.
    "This is a way to slightly boost your dps on a tank when not trying to tank" has some value to doing, but we could probably eliminate the role.
    edited June 2019
    Eliminating the best role in the game would be a mistake. Think of the DZPlayer!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

That's the opposite of the truth. Hybrids strengths are completely relevant in the vast majority of content. The only place they're not fully relevant is the handful of hyper-specialized trinity content, and even there they have the potential to fill a role. Just because some people have the build philosophy of "only build for cosmics" doesn't suddenly change the fact that hybrid builds dominate everything else.
    Yeah in the Kiga fight it matters far more how often you die than how high your DPS is. Dino? The DPS checks are the issue. Can you pass them with 20 hybrids doing the DPS?

One thing I've noted with High Noon is that taking a Regen tank to deal with the Mini-bosses is better than Defiance tank simply because I can do it without a healer. Yes, playing main tank as Regen tank is hard. some bosses you need to literally BLOCK EVERYTHING. Mechanon Liberator can hit hard enough for that actually. The mini-bosses don't.

What's this have to do with Hybrids? A relatively tough hybrid might not be able to do it solo, but maybe with a little support.

Also I regularly do healer duty on a character with Manipulator. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    One thing I've noted with High Noon is that taking a Regen tank to deal with the Mini-bosses is better than Defiance tank simply because I can do it without a healer.
    For the mini-bosses Defiance is fourth or maybe fifth choice for defensive passives; Invulnerability, LR, and Regeneration all handily outperform it there, and I'm not sure about PFF.
    Also I regularly do healer duty on a character with Manipulator. :p

What's fun is when you're healing people as a dps. I think we all kinda went a little overboard with specialization over the past few years u3u even though nobody even told us to do that.
    What's fun is when you're healing people as a dps.
    I have a telepathy dps that uses mind leech as a general dps power and mind drain for occasional healing or upkeep during storms. I heal maybe a tenth what a good healer would, but it can still be a meaningful number.
  • spinnytop wrote: »
    What's fun is when you're healing people as a dps. I think we all kinda went a little overboard with specialization over the past few years u3u even though nobody even told us to do that.

I've been saying this in one form or another for years.