test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm a super hero so I don't have to bother with normal social interaction.

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
"If I don't like what you say I can just kill you with my super powers and nobody can stop me or punish me for doing it"

Kinda falls apart when everyone around you is also a super hero, doesn't it o3o​​

Comments

• brfabeirasbrfabeiras Posts: 182 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Kinda falls apart when everyone around you is also a super hero, doesn't it o3o​​
    Not quite :p
    0Nn6qGh.jpg

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    They look like weak noobs, I bet I could one-shot half of them. That one nerd doesn't even have a head.​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I mean none of them are superheroes....where the pedo bait cat girl look?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Depends on the person possessing the powers, really. Those who would tend toward the classic superhero concept usually also tend to believe that most people with powers would do what they would. On the flipside, most people who would use their powers to abuse and subjugate others seem to believe that everyone else would be just like that, given the opportunity.

As I noted in another conversation earlier, there's a certain film producer popular with a near-fanatical crowd who's made some supers movies. And he doesn't seem to believe in superheroes - his credo appears to be, "With great power comes great bullying." The Seven is based on a similar concept. On the other hand, there was the Real movement a few years back, in which the guys dressing up in funny costumes and running around at night were actually trying to do good for others. (Part of the reason it fell apart, aside from fairly obvious legal questions, was the disagreement in the community about what exactly they were supposed to be doing. One faction, represented publicly by Portland's Zetaman and Phoenix's Citizen Prime, would go around in costume helping the homeless with things like food and filling out forms; they were extremely critical of more activist Reals like Seattle's Phoenix Jones and his group, who sought to combat low-level crime in areas that had inadequate police coverage.)

(OTOH, Jones' group did give us a wonderful tweet from the Seattle PD during the May Day protests a few years back. A group of violent anarchists had chosen to wear clown costumes that year, and the PD was called to break up "a fight in progress between superheroes and clowns." They also managed to get the PD to change the emphasis areas of their patrols, so places like Capitol Hill and Rainier Beach are a little less scary at night than they were - still not exactly recommended for moonlight strolls, but the body count is back down to the single digits annually.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I mean none of them are superheroes....where the pedo bait cat girl look?

V​​
    I mean honestly, things don't get real until some hyperactive teenage girl obsessed with anime gets super powers. When she's on main street replicating the satsui no hado in response to a fairly mundane mugging, that's when the real implications of super powers hits you.​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    brfabeiras wrote: »
    Not quite :p
    0Nn6qGh.jpg
    The Boys are comin' to toooown!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCei659yp4
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    The thing about being a superhero in a setting with other superheroes is that there's usually a bigger fish in some regard.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    satsui no hado
    Can you translate that for us non-weebs?
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    satsui no hado
    Can you translate that for us non-weebs?

Ryu from Street Fighter has this dark evil energy in him and whenever he gets mad or panics it makes him go into like Rage Mode and he's like stupidly strong but also loses control and tends to kill whoever he's fighting. It lets you do stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/MtCdQtbHJiY

In Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Thanos steals it from Ryu and uses it to try to destroy Death.​​
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    In Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Thanos steals it from Ryu and uses it to try to destroy Death.​​

There it is, the stupidest thing I'll read.
    In Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Thanos steals it from Ryu and uses it to try to destroy Death.

There it is, the stupidest thing I'll read.

It's pretty dumb, but also pretty cool
    https://youtu.be/dIFjlBu3RU0​​
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    If I were a superhero, I would wear as little clothing as I could tolerate based on the weather and my powers.
    Doctor Manhattan all the way.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    "I can do whatever the f..k I want" is pretty much the motto of every supervillain. If these Seven actually have that attitude, they're running a con on the general populace, like corrupt politicians or businessmen who maintain a respectable image. Whether their power is financial, political, or paranormal, they believe it insulates them from censure. Corrupt supers who had their facade exposed would face whatever level of force society needed to bring them in line, up to full military. The only supers who could laugh at consequences are those truly immune to that force, i.e. at Superman's level.

But in most superhero settings there are actual superheroes who believe in the rule of law and using their powers responsibly, who keep the villains in check. That's one of the things so appealing about them, the example that you can be strong and still be good, that power doesn't have to corrupt.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Wow that was like...super dorky. It's like really bad fanfiction, but...somehow an official product. Nice.

Edit: Not gonna lie, I was watching for Sonic to make an appearance somewhere.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    It's like really bad fanfiction, but...somehow an official product.

That describes it pretty much. Frank West, the main character of Dead Rising who is just some reporter, is involved in major aspects of the story and fights enemies who should just smush him like a bug, beside other characters like Thor.​​
  • neonriser#8214 neonriser Posts: 8 Arc User
    You know what people say... with great powers comes with great responsiblity.
    48056835291_148c7c03c2_o.png
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    And then those people die
  • neonriser#8214 neonriser Posts: 8 Arc User
    Which, sadly, is very unfortunate in today's society. Who would be there to protect them from those who abuse their power for whatever reason they have? Who will risk their lives protecting the weak from the strong? Is this why many superhero teams fight supercrime in the first place?
    48056835291_148c7c03c2_o.png
    Which, sadly, is very unfortunate in today's society. Who would be there to protect them from those who abuse their power for whatever reason they have? Who will risk their lives protecting the weak from the strong? Is this why many superhero teams fight supercrime in the first place?

That's easy, you just write a story where the hero comes back from the dead.
    Here in the real world, there actually are quite a few people who, given superhuman powers, would indeed use them to defend those unable to defend themselves from aggressors. (See the Real movement for examples; none of them have superpowers, of course, but neither does anyone else.) It's just that people who find themselves tempted by ultimate power don't seem to understand the altruistic mindset, and can't believe that not everyone would use their power to take over the world.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    "Kill" me i give you $50, You noob.
    Forum warrior.
    Bla, bla, bla.. 20k posts... Bla, bla, bla - hot air and autism.
    edited June 2019
    "Kill" me i give you $50, You noob.
    Forum warrior.

tAVlk8L.jpg

Blah blah blah... 183 posts... blah blah blah - no air and bigotry.