test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Premium Pack vs Life Time Sub? If you already bought the Premium Pack?

Greetings!

I'm a new player, and I've been enamored with the game, the amount of detail, costume choices, the stylized cell shading, it's all my jam. So, as I played the game and became more and more charmed by it, I bought the premium pack thinking it a good way to support the company since I was playing for free, but also because the perks were really decent.

So now, after maybe a few days of buying the Premium Pack, I learn about the Life Time Sub... and I'm wondering, is it economical / a good idea to buy this if you see yourself playing this as your 'main' MMORPG even after buying the Premium Pack? Is there overlap with the Premium Pack? Have I pulled the trigger to early and spent money on the Premium Pack when I should have just shelled out the 300 for what's in the Premium Pack and more?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• phasestarphasestar Posts: 116 Arc User
    I have never regretted my LTS - it really opens up the game, but get it on sale if you can.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Go For Life.
    LTS FTW. Even the fixed toned down one.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • carnosaurxcarnosaurx Posts: 6 Arc User
    phasestar wrote: »
    I have never regretted my LTS - it really opens up the game, but get it on sale if you can.

How often does it go on sale? 300 is pretty hefty but the perks seem nice.
  • phasestarphasestar Posts: 116 Arc User
    Seems like about once per quarter it goes down to $200 - up to you if that's worth waiting for.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    carnosaurx wrote: »
    Greetings!

I'm a new player, and I've been enamored with the game, the amount of detail, costume choices, the stylized cell shading, it's all my jam. So, as I played the game and became more and more charmed by it, I bought the premium pack thinking it a good way to support the company since I was playing for free, but also because the perks were really decent.

So now, after maybe a few days of buying the Premium Pack, I learn about the Life Time Sub... and I'm wondering, is it economical / a good idea to buy this if you see yourself playing this as your 'main' MMORPG even after buying the Premium Pack? Is there overlap with the Premium Pack? Have I pulled the trigger to early and spent money on the Premium Pack when I should have just shelled out the 300 for what's in the Premium Pack and more?

You want my opinion? You're still new. I'm glad you enjoy the game, but really get a feel for it before committing. $300 is nothing to scoff at, and I'm sure you'd hate to spend that amount if say later on you don't have this fascination anymore
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I wager there will be an LTS sale in June, or perhaps around July 4. In the mean time, level up the characters you have now and explore the content. Probably by the time a sale rolls you will have an idea of whether it is a good value to you. Personally, I've never regretted my on-sale purchase. It long ago paid for itself.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I wager there will be an LTS sale in June, or perhaps around July 4. In the mean time, level up the characters you have now and explore the content. Probably by the time a sale rolls you will have an idea of whether it is a good value to you. Personally, I've never regretted my on-sale purchase. It long ago paid for itself.

I agree to wait for a sale and get a feel for the game. July isn't too far off
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    carnosaurx wrote: »
    Greetings!

You want my opinion? You're still new. I'm glad you enjoy the game, but really get a feel for it before committing. $300 is nothing to scoff at, and I'm sure you'd hate to spend that amount if say later on you don't have this fascination anymore

This is a good point too! I'm torn on it.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Yeah, I Think I'll wait till June-July if it goes on sale. I have my answer, and I thank you all.

If you want to keep discussing the merits please do! I appreciate all the opinions.
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    When I joined the game, I played F2P for a week, and took advantage of a three-months-for-the-price-of-one-and-1/3 when the different subscriptions were available. I loved having access to the extra costumes that subbing enabled, as well as enabling freeform characters, more power sets, more travel powers, etc.

A year later, I went LTS during a $200 sale, as it basically equated to about one more year of subbing at my current rate, and I definitely knew by then that I was in the game for the long haul. I love my Champions Online. I love the community (as dysfunctional as it often can be).

Whenever people ask me what I think about the consistent rumors of CoH coming back (will never happen in an official capacity), or the other projects (City of Titans, Ship of Heroes, etc.), I quietly remind them that these 'replacements' for CoH have been going through a near-constant development pace that makes current CO development look fast and efficient, and all originated from the City of Titans team that fractured and split up when the devs couldn't agree with each other. If one of them becomes a live and functional game, good for them, but I honestly doubt that will happen in the lifetime of CO.

At this late stage, I don't personally know if I could recommend LTS to a new player that hasn't yet gotten used to the idiosyncrasies of this nearly ten-year-old game, but if you love the genre, like the tongue-in-cheek-yet-serious flavor of the game setting, and can wait until the next LTS sale, I'd not dismiss a decision to go ahead and buy it.

I say near constantly that it is my intention to be logged into Champions Online, on my favorite character, when they shut down the servers for the very last time. Here's hoping that this won't be for a very long time yet.
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg