test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you use Threat Reduction Mods in your builds?

lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
thread title​​
Post edited by lezard21 on

Do you use Threat Reduction Mods in your builds? 37 votes

Yes, I use them
10%
williamkonyarblaquechaosdrgnz43sapphiechu 4 votes
No, I don't use them but I think they are useful
16%
itsbrou#5396bluhmansungunjestermarkhawkmantheravenforcegansetseg 6 votes
No, I don't use them and think they are not useful
72%
aiqapantagruel01morigosabaelogventurejaazaniah1royalflvshaesicadeadman20bringmeaslabsoulforgernbkxspsychicsluglezard21gradiicannotdenyspinnytoph4forumsphasestarrtmawarcanch 27 votes

Comments

• chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Yes, I use them
    Ah! Fk! I misread that as "Do you use Threat mods" in your builds. No I don't use -Threat Mods. They're trash mods like all the recent ones devs been throwing at us.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    Yes, I use them
    Shoot, same here, Chaos. D: I thought it was just "threat mods", not "-threat mods". I also don't use them. They get in the way of damage mods. I think they'd be far more fitting in Defense slots instead, as they're basically used for survival. They'd also need to be more potent, though, and probably not powerset-specific.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    What a terrible poll, I also chose the wrong answer.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Updoot the thread title because gdi u guys​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Full disclaimer: I think the way this game's threat is set up is utterly terrible and unnecessary bloated. +/- threat mods, weird advantages on individual powers to generate extra threat, extra threat on certain pieces of gear. Yeah what in the actual [filtered]. Literally all that bloat could be shoveled into the dumpster by making the following adjustments to the tank role:
    • Tank role gains even more bonus threat than it does currently
    • Tank role innately applies Challenge with all of its attacks.
    • Hybrids using Protector/Bulwark can get these benefits too I guess, but why are you tanking in Hybrid?

Deep breath

That said, I think my take on -threat mods is made clear by the above: I think they're completely stupid and a waste of a valuable mod slot. If you really are generating too much threat, take a threat wipe power and/or learn some self control. ;)
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    They're not useful, all dps builds should have a threat wipe power.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    The Threat reducing mods should be Utility mods.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I also support the idea that those mods should have been UTILITY
    They are pointless to me​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Wait...the game has useful threat reduction mods? No? Than, they are useless and I will never use them.
    So far accounting for the correct numbers

0 people use the mods
    5 people don't use the mods but think they are useful
    14 people don't use the mods and think they are hot garbo or could be improved

I think this tells the devs something o3o​​
    lezard21 wrote: »
    I think this tells the devs something o3o

It tells them that there are still people who think forum polls are useful o3o​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Them what now?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Yes, I use them
    So far accounting for the correct numbers

0 people use the mods
    5 people don't use the mods but think they are useful
    14 people don't use the mods and think they are hot garbo or could be improved

I think this tells the devs something o3o​​

it just shows that they purposely make useless mods to justify they create content. :)
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    It's more that they create mods so that people pay for more bank account slots to store them.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    It's more that they create mods so that people pay for more bank account slots to store them.

Eh? But I can just vendor the mods, why would I buy anything?​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Utterly stupidly ridiculously useless. If you are a DPS pulling too much aggro, just don't mash your buttons so hard, it really is that simple. Or take a threat wipe power. Or die.

I mean, the real way these things reduce your threat is by knocking down your crit damage since they take up offense spots.

But, really, the MAIN thing is, there are maybe 6 dps people who can regularly pull aggro off a good tank. All of those people know what to do if they accidentally pull aggro. They also know what to do to keep from pulling aggro off a good tank. As far as I know, there are zero dps people that can consistently pull aggro off a great tank. If you are teaming with a sucky tank, you have other much worse problems than Lezard pulling aggro on his DPS. So, there are, AT MOST, 6 people who might need these mods, and they don't.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Maybe I WANT to have aggro!

Maybe if Threat Reduction was available in any other core slot it'd be more appealing... otherwise, I'd rather not sacrifice power output for something that a prepared tank already handles.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    No, I don't use them but I think they are useful
    I don't know why I read the thread title as threat increase mods, I guess I was tired.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

I hate y'all​​
    So accounting for bluh, chaos and william voting yes when they meant no, and foxi trolling and voting no when he meant yes the totals so far are:

0 - on Yes
    4 - on No, but I think they are useful
    23 - on No​​
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    • Hybrids using Protector/Bulwark can get these benefits too I guess, but why are you tanking in Hybrid?
    Because I'm not currently standing in front of a Cosmic and have enough survivability to trade some off for extra DPS, but would still like to keep threat off of my squishier companions? For that matter, I've got at least one character who (again, excluding cosmic tanking) is actually more survivable in hybrid role than in tank role due to higher self-healing.
    edited April 2019
    Utterly stupidly ridiculously useless. If you are a DPS pulling too much aggro, just don't mash your buttons so hard, or take a threat wipe power, or use thread reduction mods. Or die.

I don't get why this sentence suddenly becomes ludicrous when I insert that one option. I mean, we already have "die" as one of our methods of controlling threat, why are mods more ridiculous than that?​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I don't get why this sentence suddenly becomes ludicrous when I insert that one option. I mean, we already have "die" as one of our methods of controlling threat, why are mods more ridiculous than that?​​
    Mods aren't ridiculous, it's just that slotting a threat reduction mod is both less effective and a bigger dps loss than taking a threat wipe power.
    I don't get why this sentence suddenly becomes ludicrous when I insert that one option. I mean, we already have "die" as one of our methods of controlling threat, why are mods more ridiculous than that?
    Mods aren't ridiculous, it's just that slotting a threat reduction mod is both less effective and a bigger dps loss than taking a threat wipe power.

Is it less effective and a bigger dps loss than getting killed?​​
    Is it less effective and a bigger dps loss than getting killed?​​
    Unless you're an AT, that's a false choice.
    Is it less effective and a bigger dps loss than getting killed?

How so?​​
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    No, if I can't take aggro from a Super tank with my own Tank then what makes you think a DPS build would do better with -Threat Gen in that role? simply aren't good enough to steal Aggro, and that's Okay, cause I don't treat the game like a math equation to dominate with meticulous min-max optimization (Or exploit) to break the game for personal gain.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    Is it less effective and a bigger dps loss than getting killed?

How so?​​
    Because you can choose to take a threat wipe.
    Because you can choose to take a threat wipe.

Archetypes can also choose to die to wipe their threat. What's your point?​​
    edited May 2019
    Archetypes can also choose to die to wipe their threat. What's your point?​​
    I already mentioned ATs with no threat wipes as an exception?
    Archetypes can also choose to die to wipe their threat. What's your point?
    I already mentioned ATs with no threat wipes as an exception?

There are FFs without threat wipes too.​​
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Given the effectiveness of threat wipes, threat reduction is not a useful mechanic. And even if it was, the more efficient way to reduce your threat, if you're not using a wipe, is to just attack less.

Or just don't slot any mods in there to begin with. Or unslot your primary offense if you're *really* concerned for a specific fight. You won't take away threat with either method and both methods are much simpler and cheaper.

Threat reduction mods would be useful if there was a situation in which you needed to attack at the same frequency (not even for the same amount of damage, but specifically the frequency) but also have lower threat.

I can't think of a situation where that would be the case.
    There are FFs without threat wipes too.​​
    Then they have decided that threat reduction is unnecessary. Maybe they have too low dps for it to matter. Maybe they consider death an acceptable threat wipe. Maybe they're just dumb. In any case, if they decide that threat reduction is needed, I would expect them to retcon into a threat wipe, not equip threat reduction gear.
    edited May 2019
    kamokami wrote: »
    Threat reduction mods would be useful if there was a situation in which you needed to attack at the same frequency (not even for the same amount of damage, but specifically the frequency) but also have lower threat.

I can't think of a situation where that would be the case.

To be fair, other than Green Orbs we don't have any situation where we need to attack for the amount of damage that high end dps can currently put out, so by that logic threat wipes are pointless cause everyone can just pause between power uses, thereby throttling their dps and never worry about pulling aggro - hell, everyone could just stop stacking so much Form attribute and instead stack a bunch of Con and keep their damage low enough that threat is never an issue. Like, why are we boosting our damage so high? So we have to waste a power slot on a threat wipe? Tsk.

Of course some people won't do that because that means that we would finish content slower, even if there aren't dps checks involved. So, for those people, something that allows them to keep attacking at 98% top damage rate without pulling aggro might be attractive. Now we just need to figure if there are any people like that, and how many. I'm sure if we look for people who use the word "optimal" a lot, we'll find some. Me personally I'm not one of those people, I'll happily throttle my dps so I can use that power point for something else - s'why none of my toons have a threat wipe, no point when you have a bit of patience.​​
    There are FFs without threat wipes too.
    Then they have decided that threat reduction is unnecessary. Maybe they have too low dps for it to matter. Maybe they consider death an acceptable threat wipe. Maybe they're just dumb. In any case, if they decide that threat reduction is needed, I would expect them to retcon into a threat wipe, not equip threat reduction gear.

Or, as Vixy points out, you can just not attack, or attack slower. So, all threat-related stuff is dumb and pointless. We can just do less damage to not pull threat. Get rid of Confronts, threat reducers, threat wipes, and challenge advantages, it's all just noob-traps.​​
  • You can only attack less to stop yourself from causing too much threat; you cannot stop other people from doing so. That is why challenge and confronts are so important for tanks.

As for threat wipes, that's more for when you have either already been dumb and pulled aggro, or when the tank has died from missing a block, and you're too squishy to be the secondary tank. But yes, threat wipes aren't strictly necessary; they're a luxury.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    I want to take all of my Confronts out and put in Coruscating Mights! More dps = more aggro.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    warcanch wrote: »
    I want to take all of my Confronts out and put in Coruscating Mights! More dps = more aggro.​​
    There's no mods that will increase your damage by enough to make up for confronts, unless you have literally no crit, in which case a gambler's might perform better than a second confront.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    I want to take all of my Confronts out and put in Coruscating Mights! More dps = more aggro.
    There's no mods that will increase your damage by enough to make up for confronts, unless you have literally no crit, in which case a gambler's might perform better than a second confront.

Exactly. Can't have the tanks doing more damage than the dps.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    I want to take all of my Confronts out and put in Coruscating Mights! More dps = more aggro.

I doubt CorMights stack.

Also I've tanked cosmics on a ranged tank without Confronts. I think Confronts were actually meant for tank builds that might have trouble holding aggro, not tank builds that were already holding it fine without them. For some reason everyone just started using them all the time even though we don't have to.​​
    I think Confronts were actually meant for tank builds that might have trouble holding aggro, not tank builds that were already holding it fine without them.​​
    Confronts are so cosmic tanks can prove their manliness by holding primary aggro rather than being a secondary tank.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    Ideally, they are meant for AT users that has zero access to Threat Wipe, or Behemoth or any AT tanks that want to act like DPS without drawing aggro. In reality, they're just mod fillers.
    qawsada wrote: »
    Ideally, they are meant for AT users that has zero access to Threat Wipe, or Behemoth or any AT tanks that want to act like DPS without drawing aggro

Hey there you go, qawsada done cracked it!​​
    That's a phalacy that's been already replied in the previous page.

If a Behemoth or any Tank AT wants to use the toon as a DPS he can simply NOT slot Confronts. That in itself is enough to prevent him from drawing aggro from any other tank. If he definitely never wants to Tank at all he can go a step further and NOT take Challenge advantage.

If said Behemoth or Tank AT wants to Tank sometimes, DPS sometimes and be mayonaisse other times he can take Challenge and get two sets of gear: one slotted with Confronts and one that is NOT slotted with Confronts and even that should still be enough not to pull aggro away from the main tank.

In the case of DPS AT, after the diminishing return fix on Unleashed and Fist I've never seen an AT take aggro away from a tank.​​
    If a Behemoth or any Tank AT wants to use the toon as a DPS he can simply NOT slot Confronts.
    Untrue. You can gain a lot of dps from not having to spend half your time blocking and shifting 300-400 Con into your damage stat. The only reason it's moderately rare for tank ATs in the dps pile to draw aggro is because the people who do that are generally low skill and poorly geared.