test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Other super hero games coming up

psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
Here are some other games that are on the horizon some may be sooner than others and a few might not be, but who knows.
City of Titans - Not sure but may yet happen
hxxps://www.facebook.com/CityOfTitansmmo
Heroes and villains - lost in the fog and not sure if will find its way out
hxxps://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG/
Valiance online - has a working game in alpha now and might make it?
hXXps://www.facebook.com/ValianceOnline
Ship of heroes - this came out of nowhere, and has been moving fast and looks like it could be one of the first done.
hxxps://www.facebook.com/shipofhe

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    As I recall, CoT and Valiance were supposed to have had their betas available in 2015.

This is 2019. That does not fill me with confidence that these are anything more than vaporware.

Meanwhile, SoH doesn't appear to be doing anything except occasionally sending their backers some more concept art. Concept art gets you nowhere - that was as far as Perpetual Games had gotten with Star Trek Online for several years, until CBS finally got impatient, yanked the license, and granted it to Cryptic (with a one-year deadline to get the game online, which is one reason why the first few seasons of STO felt unfinished - they were unfinished).

Basically, while some of the ideas sound nice, we've heard all this before. And we've been hearing it for a decade or more. Until something more than the Valiance "alpha" (which, last I heard, was still just running around a small portion of an incomplete cityscape) comes out, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    > @scildtruma said:
    > Vaporware developers looking to squeeze a little more "funding" for games that have very little development or none at all. I noticed that the new CoH server buzz has its fans/players advertising in zone chat. Think I will enjoy the ride with Champs till the end. After what I have witnessed these other games do nothing for me.

I respect that. I rarely want to comment anymore but I saw the news surrounding CoH’s return. As life’s picked up for me I will only really(and even then that’s a stretch) have time for one MMO and I choose CoH for regular play. I don’t approve of advertising in CO zone, leave CO players to CO. But I will log in to spend that zen! :lol:
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    arnold-schwarzenegger-arnie-crazy-laughing-compilation-1365035312L.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    This is the most boring "These games are coming to get you" thread ever. You're just going around copy-pasting the same posts into different forum sections. So lazy. You actually make me miss those other guys who would come in here and go super nuts about these games over the past few years. It's too bad they're all dead.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    It's too bad they're all dead.

The guys or the games?​​
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
    This is the most boring "These games are coming to get you" thread ever. You're just going around copy-pasting the same posts into different forum sections. So lazy. You actually make me miss those other guys who would come in here and go super nuts about these games over the past few years. It's too bad they're all dead.​​

well this was just encase it was in the wrong section if you seen the other post then ok, but was just me passing on info to others who may not know it all like your almighty self. I have for one just log in to see if there has been any new costume options and power changes and fixes i really get bored doing the same old missions day in and day out. Some of the events are ok but each time they fix or expand they keep binding everything to the characters so, again only the costumes are account wide mostly. Graphically dated and the engine can not do climbing or running up walls and other things like real cars and ground vehicles. Some of the other games are doing this and much more and are plugging away at a slow pace, who is to say that they may or may not be. Please i am in no way saying or wanting this game to stop just want to have them try and do more for those who still like and play it. I find my self on less and less as the days go by and if a person like me who just loves to create finds the limits getting tiresome then they really should start to expand it more in some of the ways i suggested.
    Psy, we all know about those games. They've been trembling on the edge of "this is gonna kill CO" almost as long as fusion power has been "twenty years away". And they've shown just about as much reality.

Incidentally, if you want people to take you with any degree of seriousness, punctuation and paragraphs are your friends. And please, don't come at me with one of the classic objections like "I have a disability!" or "It's the internet, everyone does it!" Because clearly, not everyone does it, and many of us who type in complete sentences with commas and periods also have disabilities. If you need to stop and reread what you've typed, and correct errors, well, this is a fairly static forum, not Twitter. It's not a race to get your thoughts out before the whole thing scrolls away.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Yeah,
    I don't see viable alternatives there.

Champions is the first game people see when they think superheroes now.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited April 2019
    > @someguywhoplaysgames said:
    > Yeah,
    > I don't see viable alternatives there.
    >
    > Champions is the first game people see when they think superheroes now.

No they don’t. DCUO is, or, given this recent fiasco. CoH private server or servers, but barring that, DCUO.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • brfabeirasbrfabeiras Posts: 182 Arc User
    It's cool to play your hero inside the DC Universe, but that game got super clunky for me, at least through the years. I know it has way more content than CO, but it doesn't have nearly half the customization options CO has.

I have much more fun trying to customize my hero with power/looks to achieve a specific character background than to play thousands of grinding content nonstop. Maybe I'm getting old (and lazier), but roleplaying is the thing that got me hooked to CO during the last few years :)
    > @brfabeiras said:
    > It's cool to play your hero inside the DC Universe, but that game got super clunky for me, at least through the years. I know it has way more content than CO, but it doesn't have nearly half the customization options CO has.
    >
    > I have much more fun trying to customize my hero with power/looks to achieve a specific character background than to play thousands of grinding content nonstop. Maybe I'm getting old (and lazier), but roleplaying is the thing that got me hooked to CO during the last few years :)

Oh no I’m not trying to be dismissive of CO’s potential at all or what it offers! I’m simply saying that for the most part that’s what people generally think of for superhero MMOs, in a recent order at least

42 40s, LTSer.
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    No they don’t. DCUO is

DCUO is just a gateway drug for CO.​​
    xcelsior41 wrote: »

Oh no I’m not trying to be dismissive of CO’s potential at all or what it offers! I’m simply saying that for the most part that’s what people generally think of for superhero MMOs, in a recent order at least

I know! Just sharing some thoughts!

But yeah, DC has a lot more visibility than CO, and it's only natural since it is a big multimedia brand. I hope Marvel has some plans for a MMO, I kinda miss Marvel Heroes a bit. :/
    edited April 2019
    brfabeiras wrote: »
    I hope Marvel has some plans for a MMO, I kinda miss Marvel Heroes a bit. :/

They did at one point... didn't go well.​​
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    OP. I would love it if a really good, new superhero MMO came along that had decent backing behind it.

They haven't, so I'm still here.

Give us an update each week on the progress of the ones you cited above. I await with baited breath.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    brfabeiras wrote: »
    I hope Marvel has some plans for a MMO, I kinda miss Marvel Heroes a bit. :/
    Reportedly, their first idea for an MMO is why we're all here today - this game's first iteration was nearly complete when someone at Marvel decided that MMOs were a passing fad and pulled out of the deal. Apparently Cryptic was at that point tired of trying to launch their supers game using someone else's IP that could be taken away (see also CoH), so they purchased the rights to Champions from a struggling Hero Games, then leased back to them the right to make the tabletop version.

The basic code for Marvel Online is all in here still, which is why it's so easy to violate trademark when making your toon. (Don't do it, though - Marvel got into a kerfluffle with Cryptic back in the CoH days, and nowadays they have Disney's legal team behind them. Nobody wants to mess with the Mouse.)

jonsills wrote: »
    Reportedly, their first idea for an MMO is why we're all here today - this game's first iteration was nearly complete when someone at Marvel decided that MMOs were a passing fad and pulled out of the deal. Apparently Cryptic was at that point tired of trying to launch their supers game using someone else's IP that could be taken away (see also CoH), so they purchased the rights to Champions from a struggling Hero Games, then leased back to them the right to make the tabletop version.

The basic code for Marvel Online is all in here still, which is why it's so easy to violate trademark when making your toon. (Don't do it, though - Marvel got into a kerfluffle with Cryptic back in the CoH days, and nowadays they have Disney's legal team behind them. Nobody wants to mess with the Mouse.)

Hmm, didn't knew about that, interesting.
    It's been a good while since I don't see a bunch of Marvel clones running around MC, I hope players keep it that way. It's a very scary thought to battle Disney inside a court :/
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    The basic code for Marvel Online is all in here still, which is why it's so easy to violate trademark when making your toon.
    No it isn't. The reason it's easy is because making a superhero costume maker that lets you produce a wide range of costumes and doesn't make it easy to violate trademark is super hard.
    Maybe Jon meant "assets". You know programmers, everything is code to them! Because it technically is.​​
    Maybe Jon meant "assets". You know programmers, everything is code to them! Because it technically is.​​
    What, it's not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAnuBtyEYE

I mean everything is technically just a string of values stored in memory, so you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.​​
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I have more faith in Star Citizen being released than these other projects.
    edited April 2019
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I have more faith in Star Citizen being released than these other projects.

If any of them do launch in some form, I bet it would be in a similar "permanent beta alpha" state as Star Citizen for years to come, minus the $2500 ships.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    I look forward to the sudden dip in population causing CO to shut down o3o then we can all be like OP​​
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    Those alternatives will be released around the same time the long-awaited Traveller and Call of Cthulhu MMOs.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Even mentioning Heroes and Villains AKA Golden Girl making low quality 2004 tier renders to post on Facebook.
    2db.gif

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Why is that game clasified as a superhero MMO?

I don't see any wolves or unicorns​​
    lezard21 wrote: »
    Why is that game clasified as a superhero MMO?

I don't see any wolves or unicorns​​
    Or wolvicorns, with slavering fangs and a single horn....

Hang on, brb, gotta go hit the Character Creator. :smile:

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Here are some other games that are on the horizon some may be sooner than others and a few might not be, but who knows.
    City of Titans - Not sure but may yet happen
    hxxps://www.facebook.com/CityOfTitansmmo
    Heroes and villains - lost in the fog and not sure if will find its way out
    hxxps://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG/
    Valiance online - has a working game in alpha now and might make it?
    hXXps://www.facebook.com/ValianceOnline
    Ship of heroes - this came out of nowhere, and has been moving fast and looks like it could be one of the first done.
    hxxps://www.facebook.com/shipofhe

why are these links hxxp? Does this forum block facebook links? I'm not about to go through the effort of following a link to facebook since I don't want to get bombarded by the 99+ notifications of a social network I don't even use anymore.

This looks cool. Would make good competition against the likes of [PROTOTYPE], InFamous, or Saint's Row IV. Don't know if it strictly fits into the realm of MMO though.

Could you post similar videos for the other games? I'll see if I can find any neat stuff for the most up-to-date footage of each of these, let each of them give their best impressions.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Here's latest gameplay footage for City of Titans I can find. The game's been in development for around 5 or 6 years now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJGxQwmAJQ

Latest video on Valience Online I can find from the dev source. Checking the channel it looks like he's working on several other games and MMOs as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrDZ8SSk-B4

Here's another similar dev video for Ship of Heroes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfKt3sQD96Q

I can't find anything for Heroes and Villains, the name is too generic to return anything relevant to that project, and the op does mention that it's "lost in the fog".

I usually type a lot but I'll let people make their own decisions based on what I'm showing here.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited May 2019
    Rage 2 has Wasteland Superheroes....
    When the hit sounds from the Valiance video started playing my dog ran out of the room.​​
    CoT has figured out, after all these years, how to render what appears to be their own office in Unreal. Well, that's money well spent, hey, backers? Not sure the character can open a door, and something seemed off about his proportions, but the cape at least flowed cleanly.

Valiance Online isn't ready for prime time yet (gotta work on those character interactions so it's more clear how the power affects the target), but there's some really nice particle effects in there, so kudos on that score. Wish we'd seen some sort of travel power as well as the glowy-hands punches.

SoH has pretty backgrounds. Pity the character moves like a poorly-designed automaton. Still some work needed there.

CoT has figured out, after all these years, how to render what appears to be their own office in Unreal. Well, that's money well spent, hey, backers? Not sure the character can open a door, and something seemed off about his proportions, but the cape at least flowed cleanly.

Valiance Online isn't ready for prime time yet (gotta work on those character interactions so it's more clear how the power affects the target), but there's some really nice particle effects in there, so kudos on that score. Wish we'd seen some sort of travel power as well as the glowy-hands punches.

SoH has pretty backgrounds. Pity the character moves like a poorly-designed automaton. Still some work needed there.

CO has a good costume creator but the faces not matter the work look like garbage

CO hasn't recieved mission content. In 3. Years.

CO is finally getting power balancing, but it's got quite a bit of work.

Of course I honestly don't care about these other projects, I just don't think it's fair to criticize a growing game with the state of CO as it was.

42 40s, LTSer.
    Of course it's fair. If a car company is showing off its new prototypes, it's perfectly fair to critique them for not having the capabilities of existing cars, even if the current model hasn't been changed for a few years. Why should I be impressed by the brand new Ford Hypotheticalmobile if it wants to be the new SUV, but can't carry large loads or travel offroad like an Expedition?

Has it really been 3 years since we got the Qliphotic Warzone?​​
    Has it really been 3 years since we got the Qliphotic Warzone?​​

Yep.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • donorodonoro Posts: 1 Arc User
    Yeah,
    I don't see viable alternatives there.

Champions is the first game people see when they think superheroes now.

Nope...not even close.
    edited April 2020
    Kinda late, to debate.
    Elaborate.
    :#