test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Get Rid of Bold Primaries from Lock Boxes

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
These are pretty useless rewards. Not useful as gear. Can't even sell them on AH for much more than just selling them to the trash vendor. How about some nicer rewards for our money?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    They're neat for toons you're leveling up since they conform to the level of the toon that opens the box.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    These are pretty useless rewards. Not useful as gear. Can't even sell them on AH for much more than just selling them to the trash vendor. How about some nicer rewards for our money?
    It's the nature of lockboxes to drop something common and low value. It's just a question of what it is.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Personally I'd rather have the boxes drop some more single stat mods (r5s) than Bold primaries. I always seem to have some better gear on hand from drops than what they offer.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    I haven't bought Zen since February 2018 when the Lockboxes were changed to drop crap dual stat mods and mercenary gear drop chance was reduced along with the introduction of crap bold gear.

But I guess that's just me and apparently more people are buying zen nowadays than before when the Lockboxes were worth a damn​​
    I bought a bunch of zen recently and opened a bunch of boxes! :D​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    They're neat for toons you're leveling up since they conform to the level of the toon that opens the box.​​

They're not much good, though... a little better than the low-end Green gear that drops from enemies, worse than the Dual Stat Green gear, and they don't make you feel like you're getting value for money from a cash shop lock box. Along with those blasted R3 core mods (the ones which give something like 5 energy every 5 seconds) they're a reason why I look at the current lockboxes as poor value.
    Locboxes are currently trash, removing the Bold gear and the dual stat mods is the first step to fixing them into what they used to be.

There's a reason why people only open Collector Lockboxes or pre-dual stat/bold boxes. After week 1 people don't open the new lockboxes anymore they'd rather wait them to be included in the Collector's store and outright buy what you need with vouchers, than play the RNG game with boxes that won't give you your money's worth back after the costume prices plummet to double digits.​​
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Along with those blasted R3 core mods (the ones which give something like 5 energy every 5 seconds) they're a reason why I look at the current lockboxes as poor value.

I think there's some misunderstanding in this thread about Lockbox drops.

Booster Modification Cases (that contain various R3 special mods) are a guaranteed drop from each Lockbox, like the Booster Box IV's. Getting one doesn't mean you didn't get another drop, it's just something that's guaranteed with the lockbox.

Bold Gear was added as an additional bonus to the existing Modification Case (R5-R5 basic mod drops) reward. So everytime you get the mods as a drop, you can get gear with it. You will never get Bold Gear as a sole drop from a lockbox, it will always be paired with a Modification Case.

Same goes for the Rare Modification Case (r6-7 mods), you can get a piece of Mercenary Gear with it as a bonus.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    For me Bold Gear is vendor trash that I sell ASAP. I'd rather the drop box give me 1 G instead of a piece of (for me) nigh worthless Bold Gear.
    JwLmWoa.png
    I might be wrong in this since I don't have access to the loot table information but going from

Modification Case
    Rare Modification Case
    Mercenary Case

To
    Modification Case
    Modification Case with Bold
    Rare Modification Case
    Rare Modification Case with Mercenary

Doesn't just overall reduce the chance at getting Mercenary gear at all?

Not to mention that overall Rare Modification Cases have always had a lower % chance than normal Modification cases.

So in practice what I observed was now I was getting double the amount of Modification cases only sometimes now they came attached with some crap gear, and less Rare modification cases that sometimes come attached with good gear.

I had a SG bank tab that was filled with Mercenary gear and now it's almost empty​​
    edited May 2019
    kaizerin wrote: »

I think there's some misunderstanding in this thread about Lockbox drops.

Booster Modification Cases (that contain various R3 special mods) are a guaranteed drop from each Lockbox, like the Booster Box IV's. Getting one doesn't mean you didn't get another drop, it's just something that's guaranteed with the lockbox.

If the Booster Mod Cases dropped the Mods which were of any utility (the ones which buff damage types, defence or threat) then they might be worthwhile. But they drop the ones that do nothing of value other than clutter the inventory.

Bold Gear was added as an additional bonus to the existing Modification Case (R5-R5 basic mod drops) reward. So everytime you get the mods as a drop, you can get gear with it. You will never get Bold Gear as a sole drop from a lockbox, it will always be paired with a Modification Case.

Most times Bold Gear feels like trash, and no-one wants worthless rewards from a cash shop transaction. Yes, you get the mod case as well, but those only give you a chance of getting the mods that you want. If the idea is to make people spend more money to build up a mod cache to then put in the Bold gear..... I don't think it works, because Bold Gear is only 5%-10% better than the lowest tier of random drops, and inferior to decent random drops, mission rewards or equipment packs. When I got Merc Gear + mods from lockboxes it felt like a worthwhile investment, Bold Gear + mods doesn't.
    lezard21 wrote: »
    Locboxes are currently trash, removing the Bold gear and the dual stat mods is the first step to fixing them into what they used to be.

There's a reason why people only open Collector Lockboxes or pre-dual stat/bold boxes. After week 1 people don't open the new lockboxes anymore they'd rather wait them to be included in the Collector's store and outright buy what you need with vouchers, than play the RNG game with boxes that won't give you your money's worth back after the costume prices plummet to double digits.​​

Yup. Thankfully I have a big stash of old boxes.....
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Well you don't need to get Merc from lock boxes. you can buy it with Q.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Except most people who open lockboxes probably also have heirloom gear, which is a far superior choice due to its scaling and exp bonus.
    Bold Gear was added as an additional bonus to the existing Modification Case (R5-R5 basic mod drops) reward.
    Honest question: Does anyone actually end up using it, though? Every time I've ended up getting Bold stuff, I ended up trashing it due to how bad the stats are and how poorly it sells on the AH. Based on what I'm seeing here, I'm far from alone. The low-tier mod cases are already the "ugh" lockbox reward (especially with the addition of dual stat mods) so bumping Bold up to Mercenary would make it a less-bitter pill to swallow. Bold is the kind of thing I'd expect to drop off mooks or something. It's Karneeki fodder. :)
    Well you don't need to get Merc from lock boxes. you can buy it with Q.
    It's way overpriced in the Q store. You can usually get it (or the similar-strength blue gear with 2 slots + 1 preset stat) for just a few gold pieces on the auction house per piece. Compared to the Q-store price, it's arguably even better to just take the next step up and grab heroic gear (have an alt do some QWZ farming) from the recog vendor. In fact, Heroic is what I usually outfit my new 40s in since (being alts) it's likely the best they're going to have anyway.

(Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    Except most people who open lockboxes probably also have heirloom gear, which is a far superior choice due to its scaling and exp bonus.

But heirloom doesn't come from lockboxes, so why would you assume lockboxers have it?​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    But heirloom doesn't come from lockboxes, so why would you assume lockboxers have it?​​
    Not directly, but:
    • Defensive Heirlooms: Available for Drifter Salvage, which does come from opening lockboxes.
    • Offensive Heirlooms: Available from the collector store for Gold Foil Item B vouchers, which come from the collector's lockbox or sometimes from C-Store packs. Anyone who buys keys for Zen would probably be inclined to buy these packs when they're available because, if memory serves, all past offensive heirlooms were once part of key ring packs. Compared to buying keys individually, key ring packs are a better deal even without the extras. (100 single vs 90 per in the key ring pack)

So that really just leaves the utility heirlooms, but those are questionite. That said, by the time you've bought 3 pieces of disposable Merc gear from the Q-Store, you could've bought a reusable heirloom. So there's that.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited May 2019
    Good point, but I still don't see that as a reason to assume that most lockboxers would have heirloom gear. It makes sense that a lot of folks would consider it a waste when you could save your salvage for something that won't stop being useful at lvl 40.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    Perhaps Bold Gear could be replaced with an Equipment Kit, as drops from Custom Alerts? These provide more useful gear which can be traded or even - the horror! - used by a character?
    Make em have a small chance to drop in Grab alerts.​​