test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online very underrated

I take a few months off and this game continues to improve in all directions. Good job devs and good job player community with feedback. This is truly a passion project and a game shown a lot of love.
Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    What game are you playing?
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Devs lately aren't quite listening to players' feedback. They also barely interact anymore.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    gemini2099 wrote: »
    Good job devs and good job player community with feedback.
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not due to the recent change which the majority opposed and the DEVs ignores the feedbacks of

Are we playing the same game?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Waaaaaah, they changed the sorting!

It's sad that someone showing gratitude for all the hard work the devs put in is immediately met with "this must be sarcasm" xD​​
  • thebluelinkthebluelink Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    spinnytop wrote: »

What, the new character sorting method thing? 'Cause if so, I certainly think it was an 'odd' decision and one literally nobody asked for, but definitely a relatively petty thing for people to get genuinely upset over. (Nevermind this point, I realize it's the fact that people opposed the change but were ignored is the real issue, seemingly.)

Also, yeah, this topic is kinda sounding like "Dev's are bad ):<" right now - and I sure won't defend the devs myself either - but they must be doing SOMETHING right still if we're all still here~ :3c
    Post edited by thebluelink on
    nice profile picture bro
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    There was a period where devs weren’t doing anything and we were still here.....so.....yeah
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    For what it is I do think CO is an underrated game. Still one of the best superhero mmo's out there and it doesn't seem like a lot of people know about it.

• zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    Alternately, there people are people who knew about it but don't know it's still around. Bumped into a few people like that who express surprise when I mention that I play.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    I mean, at least they didn't pull a complete 'Culling 2' maneuver, if anything -- a bunch of changes and additions that would turn the game into the opposite of what everyone actually wants.

Like I said though, you won't see me showering the current team with nothing but praise as I certainly have some criticisms of my own. At the very least, I can definitely agree that the devs going against unanimous opinions of the community can be a bit counter-productive in the long run and is just generally a "lame" thing to do, to put it lightly.
    nice profile picture bro
    edited April 2019
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    Alternately, there people are people who knew about it but don't know it's still around. Bumped into a few people like that who express surprise when I mention that I play.

A massive chunk of the people commenting on the Polaris Monster Factory video were people like that. There are people who actually think this game shut down years ago, meanwhile here we are enjoying tons of dev attention lol.

I can definitely agree that the devs going against unanimous opinions of the community can be a bit counter-productive in the long run and is just generally a "lame" thing to do, to put it lightly.

The forum regulars saying they don't like something isn't tantamount to "unanimous community opinion" - the forum community is neither equivalent to nor representative of the CO community. Even I initially said it was a bad idea, but I have no illusions about being anything other than part of a minor section of the community that actually posts on the forums. Folks need to get over the idea that we're somehow voting on these things, because that's never been the case, so no reason to act all insulted that it suddenly still wasn't the case this week.

Also I was wrong when I said it was a bad idea. Now that I've gotten my hands on it I like it, so I'm glad they didn't count my "no" vote.​​
    The forum regulars saying they don't like something isn't tantamount to "unanimous community opinion" - the forum community is neither equivalent to nor representative of the CO community. Even I initially said it was a bad idea, but I have no illusions about being anything other than part of a minor section of the community that actually posts on the forums. Folks need to get over the idea that we're somehow voting on these things, because that's never been the case, so no reason to act all insulted that it suddenly still wasn't the case this week.

Also I was wrong when I said it was a bad idea. Now that I've gotten my hands on it I like it, so I'm glad they didn't count my "no" vote.​​

Not gonna lie, that really was foolish of me to say that the vocal minority makes up the playerbase majority, so my bad on that one~. Still though, I guess your third sentence is why I'm personally not excessively torn up over the matter or anything, there are definitely things I would like to see change with the game, buuuut I enjoy the game enough as is to usually keep mum on the matter.

Guess I just mean that I'd definitely be nice if this relatively small MMO community could get along with the also-small dev team, reach some kind of common ground where the community doesn't decide every single thing but does still have some input on the direction of development via. suggestions that may or may not be considered -- just some wishful thinking, really. Don't mind the occasional "dev team bad haha" comments, jokes, and all, but seems like we've been going on about this for years at this point.

But, like I said before anyway, people are still here playing the game despite all the complaints so glad to see there's clearly still something that keeps the game just as appealing as it always has been...relatively so, anyway. :P
    nice profile picture bro
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    gemini2099 wrote: »
    I take a few months off and this game continues to improve in all directions. Good job devs and good job player community with feedback. This is truly a passion project and a game shown a lot of love.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game. Folks that have been around for a while get kind of cynical but I'm always happy to hear about a new player enjoying the game.
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    I am a WoW refugee and I can safely say that this dev team has less help/funding but accomplish way more than the WoW dev team.

I love Champions because travel isn't an afterthought and travel powers are part of the fun (TWO travel power choices). In WoW they have tried to remove flying mount usage and now restrict it for a year of an expansion length for level cap content.

WoW has taken away player choice in building characters by making everything RNG based on gear, gem slots, etc. Champions has a vendor and loot drop system that is fair for top player and casual player alike and freeform is basically the ultimate in character building in the MMORPG genre that Champions offers. The silver archtypes in Champions have more fluid and interesting rotations and choices compared to WoW.

Champions is like stepping back in time during the golden age of MMORPG design IMVHO.

Too many other MMORPGs these days are like action RPGs or MOBAs but lack the depth, fun and nuance that Champions has.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

edited April 2019
    The silver archtypes in Champions have more fluid and interesting rotations and choices compared to WoW.

Wow... I heard they dumbed things down over there but if that statement is true then they went way overboard. WoW rotations used to be pretty great when I played it with interesting interactions of various abilities and a decent skill ceiling on utilizing them. One issue I still have with CO that hasn't really been addressed is that while we have a lot of choice with our builds when making a FF, the game still doesn't really reward any attempt at making a very involved rotation. I can add a bunch of powers to my build with the intent to add them to my rotation while dpsing, but the end result will pretty much always be lower dps. After all this time and effort it's still a "spam one power, use another power every 10-12 seconds" rotation game. Makes me miss the rotations that existed when I played WoW where I would use a whole bunch of powers constantly, even while just dpsing a single target.

That's why I like content that involves groups of mobs that can actually be effected by all powers, since that's where a diverse build really shines.​​
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

What, the new character sorting method thing? 'Cause if so, I certainly think it was an 'odd' decision and one literally nobody asked for, but definitely a relatively petty thing for people to get genuinely upset over. (Nevermind this point, I realize it's the fact that people opposed the change but were ignored is the real issue, seemingly.)

Also, yeah, this topic is kinda sounding like "Dev's are bad ):<" right now - and I sure won't defend the devs myself either - but they must be doing SOMETHING right still if we're all still here~ :3c

While I had not said it on the forums, I have wished they would introduce ways to sort the character select screen. But, what I wanted was choices, not a forced sort.

Perhaps this was more or less a test to see if it is possible to sort the character select screen and they will introduce other ways to sort? If so, than I am all down for that.
    soulforger wrote: »
    While I had not said it on the forums, I have wished they would introduce ways to sort the character select screen. But, what I wanted was choices, not a forced sort.

Perhaps this was more or less a test to see if it is possible to sort the character select screen and they will introduce other ways to sort? If so, than I am all down for that.

Oh, I absolutely would be too! Seems like the best way to remedy this particular 'issue' at this rate. I suppose I lack any personal stakes since I only have four created characters as opposed to the literal hundreds that others may have so virtually nothing has changed for me -- at worst, my characters may be in slightly different positions than I remember, but an optional sorting method sounds like a happy ending to the matter.

Honestly, I guess it's just a weird thing to have been changed in the first place but eh, life goes on~.
    nice profile picture bro

Oh, I absolutely would be too! Seems like the best way to remedy this particular 'issue' at this rate. I suppose I lack any personal stakes since I only have four created characters as opposed to the literal hundreds that others may have so virtually nothing has changed for me -- at worst, my characters may be in slightly different positions than I remember, but an optional sorting method sounds like a happy ending to the matter.

Honestly, I guess it's just a weird thing to have been changed in the first place but eh, life goes on~.

Oh...so...like me....with my 180 characters and 20 empty slots. Wait... 181 characters and 19 empty slots. It is now confusing finding toons.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Folks need to get over the idea that we're somehow voting on these things, because that's never been the case, so no reason to act all insulted that it suddenly still wasn't the case this week.

I don't think most people are under the impression that we're "voting on these things" (community feedback has been ignored for years), and I don't think most people were "insulted" (though some had reactions I would classify as over-the-top, sure).

This just seems to be an instance where they pushed through something (1) that received overwhelmingly negative feedback both before and after its implementation, (2) without giving any rationale for why it happened, why it needed to happen, or why they wanted it to happen.

Why would they not explain the decision? Why would they not see dozens of people (with our population, that's substantial) in-game complaining about how much they hate it and decide to re-examine? We understand that it's the devs' right to do what they want... for better or worse, it's "their" game, and you either support it, play it for free, or leave, no big deal. But I don't know why we (you) need to act like it's a grand act of Solomonic foresight when they make random changes that upset large portions of the playerbase with no explanation. That seems to be the main issue.

Was this forced by higher-ups? If so, cool, it would answer the question and everyone could move on. Is it a part of something else they're doing later? Oh, okay, we'll see what happens next then. Do they just legitimately think this is better? It seems stupid to me, but w/e. Any explanation would work, really. But when you make a "quality of life" change and many people are confused and irritated enough to report it as a bug, some re-evaluation or one sentence of dev communication might be in order.

By and large, I think most people are over it. The change sucks and it has a negative impact on my experience, but it's far from crippling. Oh well. The issue mainly comes up again when you continue to make a snarky reply to every single person who has ever expressed a legitimate grievance about any single decision made by a dev, and someone replies to you (as I've done here, so, joke's on me).
    The important thing is that we all agree there should be a drop down menu that allows us to pick sorting options, which means people acknowledge that this method is not inherently bad. It's just annoying for people with lots of toons who actively use a large percentage of them, which I guess might mean this is another one of those "there aren't a lot of those people" situations .-.​​
    "Why would they not explain the decision? Why would they not see dozens of people (with our population, that's substantial) in-game complaining about how much they hate it and decide to re-examine? We understand that it's the devs' right to do what they want... for better or worse, it's "their" game, and you either support it, play it for free, or leave, no big deal. But I don't know why we (you) need to act like it's a grand act of Solomonic foresight when they make random changes that upset large portions of the playerbase with no explanation. That seems to be the main issue."

Simply put, they don't want to deal with certain types of people that just ooze malevolence. To many people like that and that is what typically happens when Devs speak on forums, those malevolent people ooze out of the depths to attack for petty reasons.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    On the rare occasions where there has been some communication about changes, I've seen the opposite. People freak out when something they don't like happens, and then a dev says, "Hey, sorry guys, it has to be this way because _____," and then everyone calms down and accepts it.

Even with that aside, "I don't want to deal with some hypothetical mean people" is pretty poor reasoning for cutting off all communication with actual good people.
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    On the rare occasions where there has been some communication about changes, I've seen the opposite. People freak out when something they don't like happens, and then a dev says, "Hey, sorry guys, it has to be this way because _____," and then everyone calms down and accepts it.

This is too much positivity for one thread o3o​​
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    "Jaw drop"
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

jonesing4 wrote: »

This is too much positivity for one thread o3o​​

I know right? But, that is not what I seen. I seen people still fuming even after devs said things. But, everyone has their own experiences.
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I have been in this game for nine years. This is one of the first Postive threads I have seen awhile. I like the new sorting system. It feels more worked to me. I have seen to many people insult the devs here. I don't blame them for not showing up much. If people would be a little more respectful to them. I think they would start caring what the players think more. Instead of folks going all I hate this on them.

I know it's taking awhile to get new stuff. But you got to remember at least they're working on it. Unlike a few years ago.. When they did nothing.
    I know right? But, that is not what I seen. I seen people still fuming even after devs said things. But, everyone has their own experiences.

Everyone is proving you right in the PTS forum section. Dev gave an answer, and people just complained more.​​
  • jakeesanjakeesan Posts: 32 Arc User
    Let's see:
    The devs lied to us about an expansion to give us grey heroes or villains like COH has
    The devs spent 4 years focusing on vehicles and nothing else
    The devs then screwed us with despicable loot boxes, which im not even against in most games, but when you're hiding travel powers and costumes in them, you are despicable
    The devs havent added in many of the powers they promised us like plant and water powers
    LOL imagine not understanding why we thing OP is being sarcastic. Any who, bout to go play the other superhero game that just came back at the end of April. It's been so fun playing that. The ONLY thing CO does better is allow usage of any power and a SLIGHTLY better costume creator. Slightly.
    Toodles.