test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes 4/11/2019

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
edited April 2019 in Release Notes
Defender's National Training Program Event
Starting at April 12th 12:00am server time, we will be running a week long event where players are tasked with getting a brand new character to 40! Getting a new character to 40 will net the following rewards:
  • Jazzercise emotes (account unlock)
  • Overachiever Title and Perk (claimable once per character on your account)
  • 2 Exclusive Costume Tokens (claimable once per account)

The event has the following rules:
  • The character must be created and leveled to 40 within these dates: April 12th, 12:00am to April 18th, 11:59pm
  • Characters created before these dates will not count.

Upon reaching 40 you will be awarded the Overachiever perk and Jazzercise emotes. You can claim the title and tokens from the Bonus tab in the ZEN store.
If you are not granted the perk immediately, please try logging your character on and off.
Every character on your account can claim the title once achieved, not just the one leveled.
it doesn't matter how you get to 40.

Foxbatcon
  • Foxbatcon is over! The vendors will stick around a week.
  • Added currency exchange items for many of the costumes in the Swag Bags.

Lockbox
The Scion Lockbox is out! This lockbox can contain the following rewards:
  • Scion Costume Box
  • Electric Slide Travel Power Unlock
  • Electric Hover Disk Travel Power Unlock
  • Transcendence Power Unlock
  • Jazzhands Emote
  • Lightning Bolt Costume Transformation
  • Power Stone Costume Transformation

The Scion Costume Box can contain the following costumes:
  • Scion Tights 1
  • Scion Tights 2
  • Scion Collar
  • Scion Cape
  • Scion Shoulders
  • Scion Emblem 1
  • Scion Emblem 2
  • Scion Bracers 1
  • Scion Bracers 2
  • Scion Belt 1
  • Scion Belt 2
  • Scion Leg Armor 1
  • Scion Leg Armor 2
  • Scion Greaves 1
  • Scion Greaves 2

ZEN Store
New Key Pack!
  • 20x Cosmic keys of Power
  • Bulwark Armor Costume
  • 25x Valerian Scarlet's Radiance mods, boosts Celestial damage
  • 3x Triumphant Recoveries
  • 5x Safeguard Catalysts
  • 10x Healing Device Plus
  • 10x Energy Surge Plus

UI
  • Characters in the select screen will now be sorted by last logged in.

Account
  • Increased max character slots to 120 (from 100).

Performance
  • Players should no longer get a message stating their drivers are out of date.

Auction
  • Increased result cap to 999 (from 400).

Costumes
  • Golden Age Star and Golden Age Lightning Bolt emblems can be set to glow.

Powers
Illumination
  • Increased area effect to 20ft.

New Power: Transcendence
  • Ultimate
  • Repels targets and after a short time knocks them upwards.
  • Heals or resurrects nearby allies for a fixed amount of health. This amount does not scale with anything other than rank but increases if allies are affected by Illumination.
  • Leaves behind a Transcended Rune, which acts like a regular healing rune but will resurrect players standing in it periodically. This resurrect has a limited target cap and its frequency depends on rank. Players resurrected by this ability cannot be resurrected by it again for a set amount of time.
  • The healing on the rune also increases if the target is affected by Illumination.
  • This rune cannot be stacked.
​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• salmialmisalmialmi Posts: 29 Arc User
    Last logged in is going to be super annoying.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User

kaizerin wrote: »
    Defender's Training Program Event
    Starting at April 12th 12:00am server time, we will be running a week long event where players are tasked with getting a brand new character to 40! Getting a new character to 40 will net the following rewards:
    • Jazzercise emotes (account unlock)
    • Overachiever Title and Perk (claimable once per character on your account)
    • 2 Exclusive Costume Tokens (claimable once per account)

The event has the following rules:
    • The character must be created and leveled to 40 within these dates: April 12th, 12:00am to April 18th, 11:59pm
    • Characters created before these dates will not count.

Upon reaching 40 you will be awarded the Overachiever perk and Jazzercise emotes. You can claim the title and tokens from the Bonus tab in the ZEN store.
    If you are not granted the perk immediately, please try logging your character on and off.
    Every character on your account can claim the title once achieved, not just the one leveled.

[/list]

Challenge accepted! :)
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Ooh time to create an alt then =)
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Not excited about the new character select change.. but everything else is extremely yay! People are already very excited about doing some power leveling! That was a great idea : )
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • atherrisatherris Posts: 27 Arc User

UI

How many people said not to do this, yet you still did?.. Why?..
  • happy about most changes, really thank you ^_^

as of the character select screen change, why would you go through with something that everyone says they don't want and will only cause them more issues?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    UI
    Characters in the select screen will now be sorted by last logged in.
    WOW, Great Job guys at completely ignoring your playerbase's feedback and pleas about this change
    Not even gonna hold back this stupid feature to make it more customizable aren't you? You had a MAJORITY of people telling NO about this over 1 week and pointing out all the issues about this change
    Yeah go ahead and ignore the majority of your playerbase
    b3e.jpg_large

Oh man, I can't wait to log in and completely lose track of my 72 characters' position which I got used over 8 years
    WOW what a great quality of life this is​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Love the response to the player pleads
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    PER👏SO👏NAL👏 MAGNI👏FIERS👏!!

And of course, the devs didn't care what the players said about the Character Select in the PTS. Typical devs forcing players to adapt to their ideas~
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • atherrisatherris Posts: 27 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »
    UI
    WOW, Great Job guys at completely ignoring your playerbase's feedback and pleas about this change
    Not even gonna hold back this stupid feature to make it more customizable aren't you? You had a MAJORITY of people telling NO about this over 1 week and pointing out all the issues about this change
    b3e.jpg_large

Oh man, I can't wait to log in and completely lose track of my 72 characters' position which I got used over 8 years

I have 40 characters I know knew the position of... as said in quoted: Disgusting. Why did they bother putting it on PTS to test if they're not going to listen to everyone who commented saying "Do not do this."
  • atherris wrote: »
    UI
    b3e.jpg_large

I have 40 characters I know knew the position of... as said in quoted: Disgusting. Why did they bother putting it on PTS to test if they're not going to listen to everyone who commented saying "Do not do this."

3 pages of characters here so around the same number lol. this is definitely gonna be annoying.

• slinkiisuslinkiisu Posts: 15 Arc User
    You are officially my arch-nemesis.
    Plus leveling up a toon just for an emote is not much incentives for a LT player.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    The vast majority of players rejected this? Why ask for feedback if you aren't going to go with what 90% of the responses told you?

UI

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    This sort change is confusing and just doesn't fit the game. Feels thoughtlessly hamfisted rather than delicately considered, especially since the character select screen is something some of us have intentionally cultivated for over 9 years now?? What is even the point? (I feel just awful for any players with OCD. This may have made the game unplayable for some.)

I want to hope that this could lead to more practical UI changes when it comes to the character select screen (like the long wanted ability to do it manually) but I severely doubt it.

Oh well, we'll get used to it, I guess. No other choice now. Other things in the patch notes are neat.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    Challenge and other things sound fun, but
    UI

this is going to be super annoying with multiple pages of characters and I really wish the devs had reconsidered. It's a quality of life change in that it will negatively impact many players' experience with the game.

f66.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    UI

2yc01f.jpg
    EDIT: actually 2 minutes after I posted this I really thought about the change's implications and completely changed my mind.
    2yc9yf.jpg​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • meneshmenesh Posts: 54 Arc User
    Sorry, but this new character sorting was a bad idea. If you want to make it easier for altaholics, just turn the sorting to creation date newest first would have been a much better alternative.

For someone like me, who goes through all their characters once a week for Vigilance this sorting by last logged in is extremely confusing.
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User

This needs to be an option along with the old sorting method. Having a constantly shifting selection screen is incredibly awful.
    I imagine them sitting around with champagne toasting each other to the great addition to the game! Well done! This is revolutionary!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever use these? Doesn't seem like much of a reward.

10x Energy Surge Plus
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited April 2019

This needs to be an option along with the old sorting method. Having a constantly shifting selection screen is incredibly awful.

Now that I've logged in I see why they couldn't make it optional in the way I was picturing it. It's not a per-selection thing, they changed the entire sorting method of the list. aka when you login next you'll see that your entire list has already been resorted by last login date. Making this optional would mean switching between sorting methods for the entire list at once, not one selection at a time. A drop-down for sorting methods would have been a better addition than just swapping it wholesale like this ._.​​
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    My theory is they were more than likely forced by higher powers to bring the game in line with other Cryptic games, which apparently all use last log in sorting. I don't blame our devs, but I am disgruntled nonetheless.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User

UI

giphy.gif

Wow... What a way to ostracize your players... Basically, a middle finger and laugh at our faces...
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
    Or.....they could have just not done it at all.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    My favorite part of the new character sorting is that it was unironically called a "quality of life change". Which I guess, in the literal sense of the phrase, it is, but you'd think those should improve quality of life.

EDIT to add:
    Ahahahaha holy crap, I just logged in and I already hate the new character select screen so, so, so, so, so much. Just an awful job, really.
    maleb666 wrote: »
    a way to ostracize your players... Basically, a middle finger and laugh at our faces...

Oh good, I'm glad people aren't exaggerating or being hyperbolic about this o3o​​
    edited April 2019
    When we said that CO needed some of the STO's and NWO's Features, we didn't mean THIS feature, this goes against the whole concept of CO's
    This is Quality of Life for people with only 10 characters, Altitis Veterans get royally screwed! What were you thinking? Why did you thought this was OK?

And all this the same time the Characters' limit get increased to 120, what the hell DEVs?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    But, but what if i'm in character limit and can't make new ones....
    And now the Character Selection is like crazy mix up of Marvel and DC characters, all their teams broken down....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2019
    This is Quality of Life for people with only 10 characters, Altitis Veterans get royally screwed! What were you thinking?

Well technically no. This feature is pretty irrelevant to people with only 1 page of characters since it functionally changes nothing for them. This is a QoL feature for people with like 10 pages of characters who only use a handful ( 13 or less optimally ) of characters actively at a time and have to scroll through all those pages to get to their various characters. For those people, this will bring all their frequently used toons to page one, meaning less time flipping through pages.

One place where I expected this change to create a QoL issue is people who play a bunch of toons actively and do dailies on them in bulk. Those people, which I'm one of, probably like to go through their character list from beginning to end, finishing their dailies on each toon in turn - a static list made this process nice and simple because it made it easy to keep track of who had done what dailies. However now that I'm looking at it I notice there actually is a benefit here as well: we can do the dailies in any character order we like now. The characters that are done will sort to the start of the list, and we can hop around as we like. I know this will actually be a refreshing change for me.

The people who will have the hardest time adjusting are those that used a ton of characters ( like at least 13+ but more like 26+ ) all equally actively and had the locations of all those toons memorized. They're in for some daily frustration as they have to search for their character's new daily location. BUT... at least those characters will be likely to be somewhere in the first three pages.

So yeah it sucks to adjust to this change, but adjusting can potentially have some benefits.​​
  • gbjohngbjohn Posts: 9 Arc User
    Please add my name to the list of people extremely unhappy with the new character select screen change. With somewhere around 80 characters, this is going to suck in a huge way. Thanks ever so...
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Thank you for listening to us.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited April 2019
    Deep down I was hopping that the DEVs would have the decency to postpone this feature to improve it after the massive negative feedbacks, the same way they did when they removed monthly subs and added the Premium pack and programmed Silver-to-Freeform convert system.
    I was hopping that they would add Sort by Alphabetic and Created options, both would be much superior options
    Thats the KEYWORD we are looking for, OPTIONS

NOPE gotta force this feature because we desperately need to follow what STO and NWO
    screw you Altitis fans and your Roster, you get to see all the characters you made over the years scattered in a laggy roster mess

I'm both disgusted and disappointed, this is not a Quality of Life, thats a backstab, you didn't even respected your Playerbase's pleas, concerns and feedback, you just forced it on live just like that

Imagine if you played Super Smash Bros Ultimate, a game with over 70+ characters roster and the roster got updated automatically with the last played algorithm
    e0e.jpg​​
  • valheri6valheri6 Posts: 8 Arc User
    Well, I'm not a UI designer, but I'm pretty sure that a character list that changes its order on its own is a really flawed concept. Especially in this game where people have like 20 characters (and quite some far beyond that) they often or occasionally log in to.

Let us move characters up and down manually or at least add a sort button which switches the list between "last logged in" and "date of character creation".
    edited April 2019
    screw you Altitis fans and your Roster, you get to see all the characters you made over the years scattered in a laggy roster mess

* - sorted by frequency of use
    I'm both disgusted and disappointed, this is not a Quality of Life, thats a backstab, you didn't even respected your Playerbase's pleas, concerns and feedback, you just forced it on live just like that

Mmm... yes... no exaggeration or hyperbole to be found at all owo​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    So yeah it sucks to adjust to this change, but adjusting can potentially have some benefits.
    I REFUSE!
    Foxi i'm not even going to bother with your Devil's Advocate and This is Fine approach
    I accept power revamps and power changes but I will never accept this!​​
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    a way to ostracize your players... Basically, a middle finger and laugh at our faces...

Oh good, I'm glad people aren't exaggerating or being hyperbolic about this o3o​​

Right? I mean... It's not like 99 out of 100 players asked to be optional or not do it at all!! -.-
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Plus leveling up a toon just for an emote is not much incentives for a LT player.

Honestly I'm glad silver players get a chance at things like this ^_^ this is really nice, as for LTS players like myself i'll be getting the emote.
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Just a few relevant questions regarding the Defender Training Event:

1. Does the character need to start at level 1 and go through the tutorial or does starting at lvl 6 work for the perk?

2. Do level up packs count towards the perk or does that void it out?
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
    edited April 2019
    So yeah it sucks to adjust to this change, but adjusting can potentially have some benefits.
    I REFUSE!
    Foxi i'm not even going to bother with your Devil's Advocate and This is Fine approach
    I accept power revamps and power changes but I will never accept this!

I'm not even being devil's advocate. Now that it's live and I've actually seen it, I like this new sorting method. I can choose the order to do my Vigilance dailys in willy nilly now, and that gets an A+ from me ^_^=b

Also technically this would not be a stab in the back, this would be a stab in the face since they did it in plain view of you while you were protesting o3o Don't worry though, in a month you'll have totally forgotten about this ^_^

Right? I mean... It's not like 99 out of 100 players asked to be optional or not do it at all!! -.-

Well that's an exaggeration. This game doesn't even have 100 players o3o​​
    Holy crow, Spinny just set a new speed record for Stockholm Syndrome! Do you go to Vegas and cheer when the house wins?

:p
  • sparklisinasparklisina Posts: 113 Arc User
    I'm so disappointed by this. I cannot even be angry because I expected our objections to fall on deaf ears but there was that small bit of hope that maybe for once the devs would listen to us.

I'm not sure how you expect to run a game without even listening to players even a little bit.

Thanks for working on the game but that energy could be put into things we actually want and/or need.

Rose_sig.png
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    Stockholm Syndrome! Do you go to Vegas and cheer when the house wins?

:p

Ah yes, a forum completely devoid of hyperbole. s( u w u )z​​
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    Is this new Sort change going to remain forever? Could we have an explanation as to why? Right now it feels like taunting everyone who spoke against it, which was a fairly large number of people.
  • grunspelgrunspel Posts: 15 Arc User
    I was one of the many people who "voted" against this on PTS forum, but after reading comments here I decided to keep an open mind until I experienced it on the live server myself. I have 42 characters (only 4 at level 40) and knew where everyone was in the list. I actively play roughly half of those and occasionally (at least once every 1-2 months) play all of them. While I can certainly live with the change, I do not like it. It takes me a few extra seconds to find the character I want to play, so it isn't a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but it's certainly a minor decrease in "quality of life" for me. I don't know why this was done despite the overwhelming majority on PTS forum asking for it not to happen, but it definitely makes me question the value of the PTS as a place to evaluate potential changes. Apparently, PTS is really just a place to warn everyone what is about to happen regardless of whether or not the players think it's a good idea. Given that, I see little value in spending time on PTS (except during Live shard maintenance).

As a side note (and a request in case any devs read comments on this forum), we never received an official response in the PTS forum to the 3 pages of mostly negative comments from players regarding this change. I'm sure we would all appreciate an official explanation here for why this change was made. I'll be optimistic and start holding my breath now. Thank you.
  • thatguymatikzthatguymatikz Posts: 65 Arc User

UI

giphy.gif

Side note: the accessories on these Scion pieces are very, very nice. The shoulders in particular fill a niche we've needed for years. Another great job by whomever is making costumes these days.

(I would still like the option to use long gloves and long boots to be able to use those cool patterns with plain/other tights. Think about it for next time, please!)
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Posts: 68 Arc User

UI

Not happy about this change at all...

All my characters were grouped up the way I wanted them for ease of finding them. They were created in a particular order since we have no character sorting options as it is...

IMO, this was a ridiculous move.

edited April 2019
    grunspel wrote: »
    it definitely makes me question the value of the PTS as a place to evaluate potential changes. Apparently, PTS is really just a place to warn everyone what is about to happen regardless of whether or not the players think it's a good idea.

PTS is for bug testing, and that's pretty much always been the case. By the time something ends up on PTS the devs have already put a lot of thought and work into it so they're not going to completely change course just because players complain about it. Suggestions from players for minor alterations that were backed up by mechanical realities have been implemented, but once something is on PTS it is eventually going to see live unless there are some really big issues with it that prevent it from moving forward wholesale.

The idea that stuff is put on PTS for players to give their opinion on it is largely something dreamed up by players. People keep being amazed that our opinions don't influence what comes down the pipe, despite that having been the case for years. Also it's a bit absurd that people conflate "not listening to players" with "not listening to players who complain on the PTS forum" - fact is a lot of the changes coming down the pipe is stuff that players have been asking about for years. Not this change obviously, but I already pointed out what's good about this change so it's more of a case of things players didn't know they wanted.
    grunspel wrote: »
    As a side note (and a request in case any devs read comments on this forum), we never received an official response in the PTS forum to the 3 pages of mostly negative comments from players regarding this change. I'm sure we would all appreciate an official explanation here for why this change was made. I'll be optimistic and start holding my breath now. Thank you.

"We think it's a good idea." can be assumed to be the default response anytime you ask "why did you do this?". Some people are theorizing that the devs were forced to do this to make CO more like STO and NWO, but I don't think so. I think the devs saw the benefits of this change would outweigh the drawbacks. Even if it was the case that they were forced, they would never say that because it would be unprofessional to do so.​​