test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online: Noir

The newest major update to Champions Online, Noir, finally brings the anti-hero content you crave.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11127103

Comments

• When I saw this I thought CO devs had reversed their stance on accepting player ideas and they read my Noir Lockbox concept thread after all.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1211475/noir-lockbox

Could it really be? Were players going to see a lockbox without a tech theme for once? A new event seemingly tailor made to a genre what gets no love in any MMO to date?

NfNNpNk.jpg

I perked up for half a heartbeat...then I remembered what day it is.

oW2IgiD.gif

aaand all the energy went right out of me.

Well done guys, it's great to see my idea finally acknowledged by somebody, though it's a shame it had to be in this capacity.

tenor.gif?itemid=4050281
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    For a second I thought your Noir Lockbox idea was being implemented too, and I was ecstatic.

Then realisation dawned.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    Doubt anyone was fooled by this. No testing, no notes. I will say, April fool jokes are reserved for games that are more established. I face palmed when this showed up in my launcher lol. DCUO was smart enough not to pull an April fools joke. Think they realized how the game is a joke in itself. Someone like Bungie or Blizzard can get away with it.
  • Doubt anyone was fooled by this. No testing, no notes. I will say, April fool jokes are reserved for games that are more established. I face palmed when this showed up in my launcher lol. DCUO was smart enough not to pull an April fools joke. Think they realized how the game is a joke in itself. Someone like Bungie or Blizzard can get away with it.

Yeah that'll teach us to bring ideas to the table.

MXBTtrH.png
  • Doubt anyone was fooled by this. No testing, no notes. I will say, April fool jokes are reserved for games that are more established. I face palmed when this showed up in my launcher lol. DCUO was smart enough not to pull an April fools joke. Think they realized how the game is a joke in itself. Someone like Bungie or Blizzard can get away with it.

Stop being such a negative nancy, it's a videogame, it was funny for some people, not funny for others, and the people in between are enjoying taking badass screenshots or just don't care.

I do wish that noir lockbox was a thing though x.x
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    For about a minute I thought something was wrong with my graphics card but that was all. They've done pranks before, like the squeaky Therakiel sword. I was mostly annoyed that the device to turn things normal turns off when you hop in a vehicle. The QWZ is too dark as it is and I couldn't see anything while I was there today, so lost a day of farming scr; no biggie.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • gkvector#0573 gkvector Posts: 11 Arc User
    :/ Most annoying April Fools joke I've seen in a while...
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    and the people in between are enjoying taking badass screenshots

I've certainly been taking this to heart.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Posts: 64 Arc User
    So we have a device to turn it off. May we have a device to turn it back on again after April Fool's Day? Please?
  • So we have a device to turn it off. May we have a device to turn it back on again after April Fool's Day? Please?

Or aura, there was one in PTS for a while.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    Millenoir1.PNG

Millenoir2.PNG

Millenoir3.PNG

Millenoir4.PNG
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • @tigerofcachtice

3JYqGPU.gif

If that doesn't convince devs to create my Noir Lockbox concept, nothing will.
    edited April 2019
    It works for more than just noir, too. Retro-futurism? Just look toward the Ren Center from Westside and try not to think of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. Classic sci-fi horror? How about the resemblance between Monster Island and the island from the original King Kong. The possibilities are only limited by one's own level of interest in vintage cinema.

...with the filter active, that is.
    Post edited by daderganonumbers on
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    Thanks for this effect, I found it really fun to check out the various Zones with the filter on.

It was a totally different atmosphere. I did the Daily Foxbat Hunt mission and it was really gritty, pulpy. The other place I really enjoyed the effect was in the deep jungles of Monster Island, it felt like an old serial. Very fun. It might be a thing with the recent graphical upgrade, I noticed more godray-like lighting? Looks really cool.

I do like everyone's ideas above, too. Like even if there was a "new" Zone version of Millennium City in black and white, basically recycling the old assets with this filter for an alternate history like how Multifaria is. Like we'd start in Westside as a Noir Detective setting, and make our way towards Ren Cen that's more like a Fritz Lang Metropolis.

It'd hopefully be low effort, but I'd imagine a few of my alternate characters "living" in that black and white Zone.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Thanks for this effect, I found it really fun to check out the various Zones with the filter on.

It was a totally different atmosphere. I did the Daily Foxbat Hunt mission and it was really gritty, pulpy. The other place I really enjoyed the effect was in the deep jungles of Monster Island, it felt like an old serial. Very fun. It might be a thing with the recent graphical upgrade, I noticed more godray-like lighting? Looks really cool.

I do like everyone's ideas above, too. Like even if there was a "new" Zone version of Millennium City in black and white, basically recycling the old assets with this filter for an alternate history like how Multifaria is. Like we'd start in Westside as a Noir Detective setting, and make our way towards Ren Cen that's more like a Fritz Lang Metropolis.

It'd hopefully be low effort, but I'd imagine a few of my alternate characters "living" in that black and white Zone.

These are great ideas to add to CO, and would be well received by the players judging from the positive feedback of our posts. Sadly they won't happen, as the devs have mentioned before they will not look at our ideas unless they specifically ask for them (like during a contest) for fear of being sued.
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    I really enjoyed the noir-overlay, and the Grimdark Foxbat had a good speech! I'd love to see more of this, or even a noir-themed zone, even if it was just a little one. It gave the game a lot of new qualities, like folks have said, classic movies. Good stuff- thank you for that! :D

• xparibax wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the noir-overlay, and the Grimdark Foxbat had a good speech! I'd love to see more of this, or even a noir-themed zone, even if it was just a little one. It gave the game a lot of new qualities, like folks have said, classic movies. Good stuff- thank you for that! :D

What exactly are you thanking them for? Not giving us what we wanted?
  • flagpole#4268 flagpole Posts: 38 Arc User
    xparibax wrote: »

What can't you understand?
    I really enjoyed the noir-overlay, and the Grimdark Foxbat had a good speech! [...] It gave the game a lot of new qualities [...] Good stuff- thank you for that! :D

Maybe if you stopped being so negative and butthurt about how they "ridiculed" your Noir Lockbox suggestion, you'd actually read things carefully.
  • xparibax wrote: »

What can't you understand?
    I really enjoyed the noir-overlay, and the Grimdark Foxbat had a good speech! [...] It gave the game a lot of new qualities [...] Good stuff- thank you for that! :D

Maybe if you stopped being so negative and butthurt about how they "ridiculed" your Noir Lockbox suggestion, you'd actually read things carefully.

Well, when they pick your lockbox idea and turn it into a one-off April Fool's joke (ensuring it won't actually become a legitimate thing) then you'll know how I feel.
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    I really did enjoy it, I would like more to be done with the noir-film, it was a great effect. :)
    I'm still plugging for travel power: rollerskates- have been since 2012-but i'm not angsting over it not becoming a thing, either. ;)

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    It was fun
    Harmless fun​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Minecraft did a version in the form of Doom."the original shareware Minecraft 3D." It looks just as bad as doom did
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2019
    A new zone with this filter would be nice. It shouldn't even be that hard, since new models and textures would be few and far between. Recycle pieces from Westside, Millennium City and maybe a bit of Feral Tangle, Monster Island, sounds/music from Vibora Bay. Probably re-use some of the New Purple Gang mooks, among others.

The zone would be set in the past (obvs) and accessible through Juryrig's time machine, à la the mystic portal to the QWZ in Until HQ.

Devs! Money incentive, here! I, and I'm sure others, would feel extra incentive to buy things like the Pulp and Golden Age costume sets to look the part in a new zone such as this.
    Sadly they won't happen, as the devs have mentioned before they will not look at our ideas unless they specifically ask for them (like during a contest) for fear of being sued.

I WON'T SUE. That statement should hold up in court. Though over what would I sue? Everything I suggest in this post is just a repurposing of their own creations...based,of course, at least partially on your suggestions. Are you going to sue?
  • Just repeating what a dev told me.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Never seen that said anywhere here.
  • Never seen that said anywhere here.

Because it was through PM.
    I didn't mean to come off confrontational or accusatory. I believe what you say. It sucks, but it kind of makes sense.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    It's not true; devs have certainly looked at and occasionally even implemented suggestions (and the ToS of the forums gives them rights to ideas posted), though they probably can't look at third party websites (which have no such ToS). However, the reality is that 99% of suggestions are going to get circular filed. Some of them are dumb. Some of them are impractical. A lot of them are just "we don't have infinite resources, and we like another idea better".
    Yeah, no dev messaged you in this game that.
  • jebidiahbeetus#4643 jebidiahbeetus Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, no dev messaged you in this game that.

[deleted]
    Post edited by jebidiahbeetus#4643 on
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I foresee moderation in your future for posting that, Jeb.

Anyway, if that's word for word then the guy's wrong. Many have had their ideas implemented outside of "a contest or other situation where we specifically ask for them"

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Well technically I said in the game, so still not wrong.

But at least now you know you were told correctly and can continue playing Champions: Noir.

Oh wait....sorry! This is awkward...
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    No, you're totally wrong. It was a long time ago, and Poz isn't around anymore, but way back when he was in charge, I found and put together 100% replication steps for a bug that enabled us to call our Contacts remotely, back when the game was new and we were supposed to run back and forth like in Old MMOs, to lengthen game experience. You could even turn in missions, recieve mission rewards and take new missions via this bug I found, and it really wasn't supposed to be allowed.

I brought the bug to Poz directly on my friends list because I knew as the games lead producer at that time, he'd know what I should do with it.

He not only took my suggestion that we make it a thing outside of a replicatible bug for QOL reasons, but also due to the fact that Cell Phones exist, and he even directed me to post the bug and it's steps on the forums so other players could enjoy using it until they removed the bug and re-added remote contacts as a feature.

They had had to add UI and pick out certain contacts liker ghosts and such that it didn't make sense for.

So, no. You are wrong. People can and have communicated with this games devs directly and increased the games quality of life drastically, implemented into the game from player suggestion.

It's hard to find now since the old forum migration into Arc destroyed all the old posts user names, but it's there. And it was me. I'm sure some of the other old timers remember and can back me up.