test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SoDLaG's Bronze Anniversary CC

themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
To celebrate our 8th Anniversary, the Society of Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen (that SG with the unfeasibly long name) will be holding a costume competition THIS COMING SATURDAY, 30th of March at 6pm ST (Server Time) in the Power-house Theatre. An 8 year anniversary is also a Bronze anniversary, hence the theme.

Theme: THE BRONZE AGE OF COMIC BOOKS

Categories: DEADLY, GALACTIC, BRUTE, GADGETS, KUNG FU, BLASTER, BRAINS and WINGS.

Rules: The typical CC rules of no clones/switching. Powers/auras/homages are fine.

Prizes: 2000g prize per winner plus various unlocks.

"But what the hell is the Bronze Age of comics?"

I'm glad you asked...

The Bronze Age (c.1970-c.1985)

As suggested by its name, the Bronze Age wasn’t as lustrous as the carefree Golden Age or the experimental Silver Age. Having exhausted just about every dastardly scheme a supervillain could hatch, comics gave its heroes even tougher enemies to confront.

It all began with a story in Spider-man in which the hero’s best friend suffers a drug overdose. Spider-man is helpless, and his alter ego, Peter Parker, has no choice but to take the stage, relying solely on his gifts of persuasion and empathy to save the day. The Comics Code Authority opposed the inclusion of drug topics, whatever the message, but Marvel published the issue anyway, with reader support. This caused the public to lose respect for the CCA and led to the end of censorship, paving the way for darker stories

Around this time, Marvel revived a cancelled Silver Age series about a ragtag group of mutants called the X-men. Adding racially diverse, international characters to its cast, Marvel’s second wave of mutants still had godly powers, but now they were reviled by the public for that very reason. Echoing the struggles of the Civil Rights Movement, prejudice against the X-men’s genetic traits became the comic’s most enduring theme.

While the Golden Age portrayed social topics like War in typical Golden Age fashion, unfailing virtue and easy justice, Bronze Age comics dealt with the gritty realities of urban life in ways that had no real answer. Maybe Captain America could smack Hitler in the face, but how does a superhero attack the intangible foes of bigotry and addiction?

The Bronze Age also saw an increase in the number of superheroes from different ethnic backgrounds. Before this era, there were very few non-white superheroes besides Black Panther and the Falcon. Finally, other non-white Super Heroes started to appear, although many were stereotypes lifted from the pop culture of the time — big, tough black men with afros and “Jive Turkey” dialogue, Asian martial artists who spouted Confucian homilies, and so on. But some writers managed to transcend these cliches, bringing the first hints of true diversity to the genre. There were also many anti-heroes that burst onto the scene during the 1970s, such as Wolverine and the Punisher, the good-guy killers who ‘got the job done’.

As the stories became more focused around gritty, realistic themes, the style of the imagery morphed to match: comics traded in surrealism and experimentation for photorealistic depictions of the urban landscape; the alter-ego side of the superhero’s life is given more panel time, and sensational costumes took a back-seat to depictions of everyday people; depth of focus and lighting gave comics a cinematic style, heightening the reader’s emotional connection.

As far as superhero costumes go, in the Bronze-Age a new style of realism became apparent in the industry. The heavily stylized work of artists of the Silver Age or simpler cartooning of the Golden Age became less common, in favour of more realistic and detailed costumes. However, there were sometimes very little real overall differences between some Silver Age costumes and their Bronze Age counterparts.

xzYNVPw.jpg

Then the Dark Age of comics hit…… but that’s for another time, and another CC.

tl;dr... the Bronze Age was a slightly tarnished, yet more realistic, Silver Age.

Hope to see you at the CC :)

zrdRBy8.png
Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
Post edited by themightyzenith on

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Can I bring my furry princess???
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Can I bring my furry princess???

No sex-toys allowed.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited March 2019
    Slight change to the CC info... we've doubled the prizes :)
    zrdRBy8.png
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    It's confirmed, MG is insane.

'struth, though, the prizes have reached the 2,000G mark. For each winner. Oy. And it's HIS money! Whatever happened to the good old days when you could count on a Scot to pinch a penny 'til it screamed?

In addition to that hefty sum, they're will also be keys awarded to the winners, and a few melee weapon skin unlocks that were discontinued years ago. We hope to see you there.

Well, not YOU, most of us aren't as good-looking as our avatars. It's them we want to see, so you don't need to change out of your bathrobe or shave anything.
  • This seems like a lot of fun. I won't be able to participate, but I look forward to watching the competition from the sidelines. Hope to see lots of people!
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    Ohh this does sound like a lot of fun! I can’t wait! But i have to so i will : )
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I'll be there in a costume that doesn't match the theme or any of the categories, and afterwards I'll angrily make accusations of the CC being rigged! \o/​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I know I bribed a judge already. :p

Oh wait, that was a DONATION.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    I will give the judges 1000g to pick me so I can win 100g!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    I will give the judges 1000g to pick me so I can win 100g!
    What are you, running for Congress or something?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Just a reminder that this is taking place this Saturday :)

zrdRBy8.png
    I look forward to removing my clothes for you
    I look forward to removing my clothes for you

Sick buckets will be provided for all contestants.

zrdRBy8.png
  • calistariuscalistarius Posts: 5 Arc User
    I have read through all the posts here a few times to make sure... but I could not find what I was looking for... so... I think you need to clarify the time of "6pm ST"... by adding an actual time zone... ;)

Because if the ST you used there is ment to be "Standard Time", then you are going to confuse a lot of people around the world. Because "Standard Time" does not refer to a specific time zone, but rather the local "Winter Time" (opposed to DST, Daylight Saving Time) of each country or region.

So what you are basicly saying to everyone, by saying "6pm ST", is that your competition will take place at 6pm in their local time... or alternativly, and it is a bit of a stretch, that you are running essentually a 24+ hour costume competition on the 30th. XD

So... unless I am mistaken about your use of "ST", then you need to get the information out there pretty quickly which time zones 6pm you mean. Since in about 50 minuts from the posting of this post (12:10pm Swedish time, as in 11:10am in Britain), there are going to be places on earth that will reach the 30th of March. ;)
    ST means Server Time
    What the last poster said.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Fair enough, I am closing in on my 4th week of playing CO, and I don't remember server time being used much if at all back 10+ years ago when I played mmo's regularly. So to me it looked like you where talking about "Standard Time". XD

Well... good luck with the contest! :)
    edited March 2019
    It's the standard practice for CCs in CO, easier to use and easy to find. Just hover your cursor over the clock under your mini map...

swxgAgy.png

And the CC is tomorrow. Come along, mate :)
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Fair enough, I am closing in on my 4th week of playing CO, and I don't remember server time being used much if at all back 10+ years ago when I played mmo's regularly. So to me it looked like you where talking about "Standard Time". XD

Well... good luck with the contest! :)
    It comes from the fact that unlike most MMOs, Cryptic only has the one server farm, so all their games run in a single time zone. (The really odd part is that the farm is in the Eastern time zone, while the "server time" is in keeping with their office location - Pacific zone.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

Thank you all for the information. :)

Usually I am good about finding hover text like that, I always tend to explore every single thing I can find in a games UI, hud, menus, and options (I am even one of those people who will actually read a manual if I happen to get or find one... even for electronics! Imagin that... XD ). But for some reason I don't recall ever hovering the arrow over the time area on the minimap, or even seeing it pop up... which is strange, considering it is instant I see. XD

Also, I could not make it to your competition... for once I have a close to normal sleeping pattern, plus I have a cold, so I was sleeping by the time it started. Hope it went well though! :)
    It’s later today
    Thank you all for the information. :)

Also, I could not make it to your competition... for once I have a close to normal sleeping pattern, plus I have a cold, so I was sleeping by the time it started. Hope it went well though! :)

We haven't held it yet. As ealford said, it's happening later today.

zrdRBy8.png
    Fortunately, 6pm server time is 6pm Pacific time, which is currently UTC-7 (as our government has decreed that Daylight Savings Time shall last from early March to early November, for no sane reason I can comprehend). As I type this, it's 8:40am PDT, so the contest will take place in 9 hours and 20 minutes.

• braddacklinbraddacklin Posts: 1 Arc User
    just wanna thank you for the awesome Competion,

Greetings Red Rhino
    Heya, RR! Thanks for showing up :)
    zrdRBy8.png