test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning Player: What qualifies as "High-Tier" and/or viable endgame DPS?

Hi, I'm returning to Champions Online after a few years away. My current build is intended to be primarily DPS with a dash of survivability and support. How high does DPS need to be to be "good" in the current rendition of the game? I start at 3.3k ish and when my Chilled Form gets 5 additional stacks (reaching max) I coast at 4.1k, with the ability to spike past 6k for like 12 seconds every 2 minutes. Just wondering if this is good enough for me to keep my okay survivability and support stuff or if I have to dedicate harder to DPS to make it in endgame stuff.

Comments

• clasackedclasacked Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    SIDENOTES: Running Power Armor in support spec with triple toggle and AOPM so I can superstat Ego main and Dex secondary. I use that along with specializations to expose (increasing crit chance) and flat increases of crit chance and severity to get good power and frequency overall. I've hit 49.2% base crit on all my AoE's (all of my attacks) which when hitting a thrice-exposed enemy increases to 58.2% on 105.8% severity. I hit 10x/s without using my ultimate so it's not that "random" how the damage distributes, and I use Uranium rounds on the Minigun to shred resistances. This also means the expose stacks 3x extremely rapidly. When I Implosion Engine, Lock and Load, and have max stacks on Chilled Form I hit 6400 DPS once I pop the toggles not including the Uranium Rounds debuff. All my attacks are AOE Lines except Implosion Engine which is radial, so my damage will hit multiple targets frequently. Numbers are assuming nearly optimal play which is very easy when dedicatedly DPSing but not as easy when having to alternate toggles with "not dying" stuff. I am still noobing it up a little bit though and it will probably be easier once I am more familiarized.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In general AoPM dps does not perform well in the current state of the game, and will also annoy other players at cosmic level content because you interfere with better auras from max-presence builds. With high end gear in dps role it's fairly straightforward for power armor to exceed 7k sustained dps and possible to exceed 10k.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    "Endgame stuff" dps is only relevant during Dino's dps check and Eidolon's Yellow, Red, or Green things.

All else is just getting it done faster and/or padding your score.

If you are concerned about survivability, you'd be better off getting a Defensive passive. Since you are probably running AoPM in Hybrid mode to get the dps you are getting, then an Invulnerability, Lightning Reflexes, Defiance, Personal Force Field, or Regeneration passive would make you more durable.

The problem comes about in your stats distribution. Since you are PSS Ego, SSS Dex, I'd suggest the final SSS as End.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • flagpole#4268 flagpole Posts: 38 Arc User
    Mandatory endgame DPS guide link:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1208228/endgame-dps-build-guide

But short answer, 4k-6k DPS is pretty good so I wouldn't worry.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    One that makes you able to get your name to the list and get the reward.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Thank you for the replies everyone. Highly informative, I did a decent amount of forum sifting before asking and didn't find much on it so the insights and links here are super super useful!
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    If you're asking this question in the first place you probably already are or shortly will positively contribute to the fights. But see my sig for links to some guides regarding the fights and relevant builds if you want to go further.
    warcanch wrote: »
    "Endgame stuff" dps is only relevant during Dino's dps check and Eidolon's Yellow, Red, or Green things.

All else is just getting it done faster and/or padding your score.

This is right on the mark. You can do most of the endgame without needing to think about your damage output as a DPS. In fact, even in the two cases above you could be pretty helpful by just using debuffs and spike damage devices or Ultimates.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    A good short answer is: way lower than most people seem to think. Some people make it seem like you need 10k dps, when actually it's like 3k dps which a pretty basic ranged dps can do o3o​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    As I recall green orbs have 290k hp and +75% damage resistance, and you have ten seconds. If there are 6 dps on each orb, each one should be doing about 48,000 damage against +75% damage resistance, equivalent to 70,000 damage against +20% damage resistance, though you will commonly have benefits (auras and shared debuffs) that you don't have in the powerhouse and you might have more than 6 dps (perfect splits on a full zone is 8) so you are probably pulling your weight at the 55k over 10s which was our old test. Unfortunately, the frequency of dps tests is more than once per 2 minutes (can be as low as 30s), though you are likely to have an AoAC.
    That's good info, should add it to the guide o3o​​
    I really appreciate all of the feedback. I've been toying with a lot of different Rdps specs recently. Endurance primary wrist bolter + 2 toggles with ego and dex secondary with burn through, 15% base damage increase, and hitting high 40s crit rate once expose stacks accumulate has some level of merit but I'm still in mercenary gear with legion's chest so I feel like I'm not that close to optimized on anything I'm doing. Plus side is you can jam 2 additional toggles (sparkstorm + ego storm) but it feels clunky and location-dependent to really rip in with all of it. It's pretty reasonable with the End HP boost to hit 7k HP with "meh" gear. I'm messing with an Electric Form version and a Composure/BCR version with Dark transfusion. The Composure version would be especially improved with better gear. The mitigation isn't absurdly strong but it allows for a better masterful dodge and a legitimately decent BCR for bullet-hell situations.

I've messed with CON/End/Dex crit with constant dark transfusion and electric form as well. This seems survivable with 6 attacks per second, 2% (high) health healed per crit, and a high-40's crit rate with expose, but you don't get dual offensive secondaries and your energy can be questionable if you aren't fairly intensively END spec'd and trying to (EB + 2 toggle) or triple offensive toggle. This is capable of surviving the 5 player "hard" training simulator playing on elite (if it matters) but I havent walked outside of the powerhouse with it because respecs are costly.

Gonna be looking into some more straightforward Ego lines and Dex lines too. I enjoy the process of building a lot.

Thanks again!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    There's no question that the higher end gear with high end mods are "better".

But don't be quick to poo poo basic blue or Mercenary gear. I still have lots of characters in these getups and using r5 mods. When they come to the Cosmics they do just fine. Not top of the scoreboard, but they easily qualify for the reward.

You DO want to make sure that you are using level 40 gear. And, as was linked above, check out the "dps guide". For tl;dr : Make sure you stack the stat your toggle FORM scales with.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    Click link in my sig if you are interested to see how much of a boost that fancy high end gear actually gives you o3o​​