test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ego Surge or Imbue for TK Blades

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
Working on a TK build and wondering which is better (i.e. yields more damage): Imbue R3 or Ego Surge R2 with Nimble Mind?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Imbue likely comes out on top because it gives you good chunks of both crit chance and severity beyond what Nimble Mind can produce. I got no numbers on that tho so just a theory.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Imbue is weird because its bonus is increased if your health is low. This is a bit tricky to arrange for, but if you can it's really strong.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Wait? What? I thought the bonuses were flat amounts. There's some kind of reverse scaling based on how low one's HPs are? Is this written up somewhere? This is completely new to me.
    Imbue is weird because its bonus is increased if your health is low. This is a bit tricky to arrange for, but if you can it's really strong.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Wait? What? I thought the bonuses were flat amounts. There's some kind of reverse scaling based on how low one's HPs are? Is this written up somewhere? This is completely new to me.
    It's not mentioned anywhere in game that I know of.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Yea, its not mentioned afaik, but Imbue does have its bonuses scale inversely w/ your health when you pop it. Prob makes it better for tanks that want an AO, but its solid even at its base bonus. Whether base R3 Imbue is better than R2/NM Ego Surge for TK prob depends on your gear and build a bit, though I imagine w/ decent crit Imbue would usually come out on top (keeping in mind its a bit more rng prone vs. an AO w/ a normal dmg bonus).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    When I tested these two AOs they were very similar if you always use Ego Surge at 5 Ego Leech stacks, and ignore health scaling on Imbue. But I generally don't want to pay attention to leech stacks just to time an AO, so I don't see a reason to use Ego Surge.
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    The 30% crit and severity you can get from the health scaling on imbue is extremely powerful. It becomes especially effective if you are using a Draysha Supercharger to manipulate your health before using imbue.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
    I was wondering if the Draysha device was part of the trick. Is this aspect of Imbue "working as intended," or something (a glitch) that may (soon?) be nerfed? Can't help but wondering about if/when we'll ever see a systematic retuning of AOs?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Is this aspect of Imbue "working as intended," or something (a glitch) that may (soon?) be nerfed?

It's intended. Well it was a long time ago.
    -Imbue has now been reworked into an active offense. This power now grants up to 30% bonus critical chance and severity. This bonus is based upon your health at the time of activation.

From here:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/comment/1827653

I believe the idea was that if your hp got low you could use it to boost heals and get yourself back to full. Hence the scaling when your hp is low.

Imbue is part of the Celestial set and contends with Ascension which serves a similar but different "need to spike up healing" use case in addition to buffing damage.

That said, Imbue's current predominant usage is mostly focused on dealing damage so maybe it needs to be reviewed to either reflect that usage or alter it.

Personally, I think it would be best to have an AO be updated as part of its powerset review.
    I was wondering if the Draysha device was part of the trick.

Dark Transfusion can also work. Or using Imbue right after you get rezzed.
    Hmm, seems like something about this scaling boost should be added to the actual power description, and not left to burial in the forums?

Have any of the AOs been updated in the power sets that have been revamped? Honest question. I can't recall. I was wondering if the Devs were waiting until basic reviews of all the power sets were completed before going back to touch up the AOs (and spec trees?)?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Since I am leveling a hero who uses DT I will be bearing this in mind ;)
    kamokami wrote: »
    I was wondering if the Draysha device was part of the trick.

Dark Transfusion can also work. Or using Imbue right after you get rezzed.

JwLmWoa.png
    Have any of the AOs been updated in the power sets that have been revamped? Honest question. I can't recall.

Yes. Fire, Unarmed, Darkness, and TK are ones that I remember.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I was wondering if the Draysha device was part of the trick. Is this aspect of Imbue "working as intended," or something (a glitch) that may (soon?) be nerfed? Can't help but wondering about if/when we'll ever see a systematic retuning of AOs?

Even without the health scaling Imbue is very competitive with other AOs, so I don't really see a reason for it. When (or if) Imbue gets nerfed is anyone's guess, but the devs have started nerfing some individual overperforming powers lately so it wouldn't surprise me if Imbue lost its health scaling before a full celestial/AO review.