What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20190228.3 - Circus Malvanum, Power Changes

2»

Comments

• stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    bluhman wrote: »
    So basically just forcing all tanks to absolutely be STR-based melee now, ok.

CoAP will still be used by the same builds using it now.​​

CoAP isn't even a option to use anymore on my builds. It's replacing your energy unlock with +18. I've found no way to boost that either. So, it's a net loss on my builds. I'm sure most will find this to be the case also. It'll go on the heap of powers that I avoid and ignore.

• grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    There's really no reason to add more sources of stacking since healers are gonna heal, and if you can't heal enough to keep your form stacked then you're in a situation where you don't need to heal at full power anyway.​​

In situations where you cannot heal, or do not need to heal, people use offensive abilities or other support abilities.
    Offensive abilities and some support abilities (like shields for example) performance also rely on the number of form stacks you have. So in such circonstancies, maybe you do not need to heal at full power, but you still need to deal damage or use alternative support options at full power.

A compassion using support got his damage somewhere between "crappy" and "only decent". I do not think they need to be kicked in the b#lls more by creating situations where their form, and so their damage is not stackable.

Removing sentinel aura as a compassion proccing condition was a coherent and defendable choice balance wise.
    Indeed, no other form can stack from spec only.
    But there is a new inbalance now. Now, we are in a situation where compassion became the only energy form allowing situations where you cannot maintain stacks.
    If devs want to remain coherent with what they started, they must find a way to bring that form on par with all the others, being stackable at any point while in battle. This is balancing.

Players should start getting on board with the new and stop clinging to the old.
    It's what we do. We want a new version of compassion, a version at the level of all other energy forms, the one that are balanced.

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I'm a little worried that having AoRP at cosmics may make building/maintaining Compassion stacks even harder. Everyone will need less healing and that might impact how easy it is to build stacks.

Make CoEW Great Again (was it ever great?)

I'm guessing that the CoAP nerf is intended to hamstring the 3 toggle PA builds? I guess at cosmics (if AoPM and AoAC happen to be around) this may not be an issue? Is other content easy enough that only 2 toggles are needed? Or, is this an effort by the Devs to get players to use Rec or End as PSS (are tree revamps coming soon?)?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Not a valid option for dodge tanks who need to use dodge gear, sadly.
    Con primary dodge tanks can take Resilient, which is a pretty decent knock resistance bonus.
  • pjz99pjz99 Posts: 143 Arc User
    Compassion changes shouldn't be a problem for any actual healers, other than bugged heals which will of course get fixed. There's really no reason to add more sources of stacking since healers are gonna heal, and if you can't heal enough to keep your form stacked then you're in a situation where you don't need to heal at full power anyway. I bet they're going to add more healing forms like the Fire one, which let you stack offensively hence getting around that issue entirely, which really is the better solution. Players should start getting on board with the new and stop clinging to the old.​​

The problem isn't so much with the idea of changing Compassion, it's that it was quietly changed on Live with no planning or forethought and it impacts a vast number of characters, without any retcon and with no open discussion of what's really intended. The change on Live really should be reverted and the goals of what the devs actually want should be spelled out in advance. Saying "lol deal with it" is glib and profoundly unhelpful.
  • johnystelar1johnystelar1 Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Not a valid option for dodge tanks who need to use dodge gear, sadly.
    Con primary dodge tanks can take Resilient, which is a pretty decent knock resistance bonus.

What about dex prim ones? They're pretty much screwed on that one, I'd say 'adapt' but in this case they'd lose a lot of damage going con, and they certainly have little to no room for any str.

I personally don't use the circles, but it is quite annoying when your dodge tank gets knocked through block by grond or gravi in TA, etc. and i've seen people who use them only for such cases.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    There's really no reason to add more sources of stacking since healers are gonna heal, and if you can't heal enough to keep your form stacked then you're in a situation where you don't need to heal at full power anyway.
    I think you're missing the point, in that no other form has this kind of problem. Imagine if Enrage only triggered if you actually knocked the target (so immune = no stack) or if Fiery Will didn't trigger if applying a burning effect already on the target--so a target affected by CF wouldn't yield a stack if you reapplied CF to that target before it expired. In fact, let's go a step further (because it's a thing for compassion users) and say you can't build your fiery will stacks if anyone else has already applied a burning effect to the target. That'd be moronic and you know it.

Besides, if that healer doesn't need to heal, some extra damage output from them is better than just standing there, but they can't do that as well if their form refuses to stack.

I bet they're going to add more healing forms like the Fire one, which let you stack offensively hence getting around that issue entirely, which really is the better solution. Players should start getting on board with the new and stop clinging to the old.
    People only "cling to the old" because it actually stacks on a useful stat instead of forcing lolrecovery. Most forms stack based on a useful damage stat (int could be argued as something of an energy/dps hybrid stat due to its PSS specializations) and PRE is the healer equivalent of a damage stat. If you're building a healer, why would you choose a form that stacks with a stat less useful to healing over one that stacks with a better stat. If more healing forms like smouldering want to show up, that's fine and even great--but they need to scale with a stat that's actually useful for healers, and that means presence. Not just recovery.

Besides, I like the older forms because they're more flexible, and "forms" in general aren't something I enjoy. To me, a thing that stacks up in the background while I do other things is among the least interesting mechanics you can have in a game. I bet if forms were summarily removed from the game, nobody would even notice or care as long as damage and energy was adjusted to make up for the loss. You'd still use the same attacks largely in the same way (apply a damage type debuff, apply a mechanic, T3 spam thereafter) to defeat bad guys and stay alive in the process. Nothing of value would be lost.

That said, I (and others I imagine) just want a form that does its job in the background with as little nonsensical micromanagement as possible. If "clinging to the old" gets me one that does its job better, than great. That's what I'll use. This leads is back to the central issue here--healers don't have a lot of realistic alternatives to compassion, so that's why they flock to it and why many are annoyed at the callous approach that's been taken to "fixing" it.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited March 2019
    As of right now, Illumination/Mending produces Compassion stacks but Life Essence does not. This change really needs to be reverted from Live until it makes a little more sense.
    e: Light Everlasting does too lol
    Absorb Heat main heal does, but subsequent heal ticks from the same power do not
    Life Drain (the power) does not, Dependency does not

e: tbh I am not really sure about any of these, because sometimes doing the same things vs the same enemies I do get stacks and I don't understand why or why not. This is solo and it's not because I'm at full health. **** is just severely broke ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    aesica wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point, in that no other form has this kind of problem. Imagine if Enrage only triggered if you actually knocked the target (so immune = no stack) or if Fiery Will didn't trigger if applying a burning effect already on the target

This is in no way similar to the situation with Compassion. You are proposing situations wherein somebody would potentially not be able to stack their form at all for the entire duration of a fight, and that's simply not the case with Compassion unless you're in a situation where nobody is taking damage. If you are in that situation sit back and relax, the fight will be over in a few seconds and the group doesn't really need you to do anything. Just stand there and be a pretty aura-bot.
    People only "cling to the old" because it actually stacks on a useful stat instead of forcing lolrecovery. Most forms stack based on a useful damage stat (int could be argued as something of an energy/dps hybrid stat due to its PSS specializations) and PRE is the healer equivalent of a damage stat. If you're building a healer, why would you choose a form that stacks with a stat less useful to healing over one that stacks with a better stat.

Because the form that scales off of Recovery lets me build stacks without having to heal anybody and hence means that my healer can play offensively, like I do with my very awesome Fire Healer. You see, in this way the new form is more flexible than the old one. Also, the healing bonus from forms is what matters, not the bonus from presence, which means that a healer using the Recovery form can do just as good a job of healing as the old healer using the Presence form.

Presence matters for auras, so you can think of that as the benefit/downside relationship with Compassion - you can stack Pre for your aura, but you can't stack your form offensively. That latter part shouldn't matter if you're making an old-fashioned pure healer of course, since you're literally just a heal turret and if nobody needs healing then you don't need stacks.

tl;dr - Compassion still does what healers need it to do, you don't need passive heals to stack it.​​
    Sentinel Mastery is producing stacks (and Kaiserin said it wasn't supposed to) but Mind Break's healing effect is not, "stop clinging to the old" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    pjz99 wrote: »
    Sentinel Mastery is producing stacks (and Kaiserin said it wasn't supposed to) but Mind Break's healing effect is not, "stop clinging to the old" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL. I think everyone's point is that this change needs more evaluation and testing before going LIve.
    edited March 2019
    This is in no way similar to the situation with Compassion. You are proposing situations wherein somebody would potentially not be able to stack their form at all for the entire duration of a fight, and that's simply not the case with Compassion unless you're in a situation where nobody is taking damage. If you are in that situation sit back and relax, the fight will be over in a few seconds and the group doesn't really need you to do anything. Just stand there and be a pretty aura-bot.
    1. You're assuming builds are extremes. What if my healer also has some damage-dealing capability and I want to use it, but due to a failure in form stacking, I end up doing so suboptimally?
    2. I've been in cybermind groups where, aside from maybe the probes, everyone was so tanky that nobody really took any meaningful damage. Thanks to passive stacking from sentinel aura, it was able to stack on someone dipping down to 99% health, but without that, I'd be lucky to get it past 4, and it wouldn't stay there very long.
    3. Encouraging players to "do nothing but be an aura bot" when they could do something is just lame. I should be able to contribute even if healing services aren't needed. I can't believe you of all people would encourage someone to be a leech.
    Because the form that scales off of Recovery lets me build stacks without having to heal anybody and hence means that my healer can play offensively, like I do with my very awesome Fire Healer. You see, in this way the new form is more flexible than the old one. Also, the healing bonus from forms is what matters, not the bonus from presence, which means that a healer using the Recovery form can do just as good a job of healing as the old healer using the Presence form.
    That works great for fire, but there's other sets out there. Being bound to a single powerset isn't "more flexible" at all. That said, Smouldering would be great if it also scaled off Recovery, but for whatever reason, a bad decision was made so here we are.
    Presence matters for auras
    And that's exactly why Smouldering sucks balls. Maybe it's time to update auras to not rely on presence, but on superstats overall like all the other passives (except defiance, but I see that getting fixed on the might pass)
    tl;dr - Compassion still does what healers need it to do, you don't need passive heals to stack it.​​
    Except 1) more than just full-on healers use it and 2) nobody's really asking for passive heals to stack it. Rather, the general consensus seems to be that people want to be able to stack it with active abilities, even if everyone's hp is full. That's not an unreasonable request.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    [*] Encouraging players to "do nothing but be an aura bot" when they could do something is just lame. I should be able to contribute even if healing services aren't needed. I can't believe you of all people would encourage someone to be a leech.

Yeah that was a pretty weird thing to say, considering other points Spinny made. It works fine until it doesn't work fine, in which case look away from the screen and pretend it's still really fine ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Added Roman Guard bracer and Regal Lion mask costumes to the store.

This made me happy to read. I had been looking forward to more Malvanum Lion pieces in the Neo-Roman gladiator-style theme of the event that can match the other pieces..... then I went to PTS for a look.

jjgjiHj.png

So for some reason we've switched the theme of the Lion pieces from Neo-Roman to Stargate-Egyptian. I was expecting some consistency, but this thing is just..... so many things off with this.... I can't even...

:s

b1anjad237e01.gif
    il_570xN.1570651903_5ijw.jpg

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I quite concerned about Circle of Primal Dominion changes.

It's another kick in the balls -after Wardicator loop fix- to what I call "non-meta" tanks, I mean every single tank that doesn't use STR prim w/ Defiance. Those tanks have way less DPS, threat, and damage&CC resistance values than a regular meta-tank, and current CoPD has great utility to fill their weaknesses.

My EGO, END and PRE PSS ranged tanks will suffer way more from this change than my STR tank (wich doesn't use any circle because it doesn't need it) It often happens I'm losing aggro against high DPS with those tanks, and I already fear the results of being deprived of CoPD. They will have to sacrifice more things -such as offence for threat, or defence for CC resists- than my STR tank to stay in the race. And as an overal result to be even more weaker anyway.

Should Circles be changed ? Why not, but to be different, not weaker when you're already weak. It's an oversight to the whole picture. Things would need to be changed as a subsequent consequence to keep everything else balanced too. (Specializations, Distinguished set, energy management for tanks, etc.)

Overalll, I don't have the feeling this change -alone- will help diversity among tanks, nor making this diversity fun.

That was for the emotional part :p For the number part, as kamokami wisely pointed out, CoPD doesn't make sense at all to be taken anyway.
    Post edited by leuchadegoutiere on
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Several other stats have a similar spec as Strength for using the Secondary Super stats to get more defense. However, none of them are as good as the one in Strength.

Suggestion:
    Make the Spec in these other Primary stat trees' work out to about equal what Strength PSSs' spec provides.

Now we have some better options to get that very important Defense up there.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    flyingfinn wrote: »

b1anjad237e01.gif
    il_570xN.1570651903_5ijw.jpg

That would be much more preferable than the terrible one we now have.
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

Got a hot take for ya: bugs should be fixed ;)​​
    edited March 2019
    You're assuming builds are extremes. What if my healer also has some damage-dealing capability

I'm not assuming that at all. You know that Fire Healer I keep mentioning? Guess what. It has some pretty significant damage dealing capability. Heck even my Compassion healer has an attack, just doesn't do as much damage with it as the Fire Healer does. I guess you were assuming what I was assuming. She has no issues with form stacking. See what you should be asking for is more healing forms that stack offensively. That way you can be more than just an aura bot! Out with the old in with the new! Just don't have your heart set on them scaling with presence, cause it makes sense that they wouldn't.
    That works great for fire, but there's other sets out there. Being bound to a single powerset isn't "more flexible" at all. That said, Smouldering would be great if it also scaled off Recovery, but for whatever reason, a bad decision was made so here we are.

Sooooo what you're saying is, we need more of these new healing forms that stack offensively. I agree!
    And that's exactly why Smouldering sucks balls. Maybe it's time to update auras to not rely on presence, but on superstats overall like all the other passives (except defiance, but I see that getting fixed on the might pass)

Nah, auras are already strong enough so they don't really need to be buffed in that manner. Auras are a benefit of a presence stacking form, so that benefit really shouldn't be entangled with offensive stacking; if it is, then it would have to lose the ultra-powerful healing. Too much and all that. However if you are interested in playing a more offensively oriented toon that uses an aura, you have the new Darkness form now! Gotta love that new stuff adding more build diversity!

Except 1) more than just full-on healers use it and 2) nobody's really asking for passive heals to stack it. Rather, the general consensus seems to be that people want to be able to stack it with active abilities, even if everyone's hp is full. That's not an unreasonable request.

Sooooo what you're saying is, we need more of these new healing forms that stack offensively. I agree! Kaizerin, get on that plz!​​
    Nah, auras are already strong enough so they don't really need to be buffed in that manner.​​
    It would be a nerf, not a buff. Basing it on superstats would mean you'd use the average value.
  • grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    See what you should be asking for is more healing forms that stack offensively. That way you can be more than just an aura bot! Out with the old in with the new! Just don't have your heart set on them scaling with presence, cause it makes sense that they wouldn't.​​
    ​​

Yeah, getting more healing form that stack offensively would be cool. Sadly it wouldn't resolve anything, because looking the other way and give up one broken power to get another one will not fix the first power which will still be broken and unbalanced.

The solution to balance compassion and put it on par with every other forms of that game is pretty simple:
    "Proc a stack whenever you use an active power tagged as a heal in battle, you can get a stack every 4 seconds"
    Really not complicated. Not overperforming since it works like all other forms of the game. It covers the "defensive" aspect of the form since it works only with powers tagged as heal.

Rebuke: heal or offense => proc
    lifedrain: offense + heal => proc
    arcane vitality: heal => proc
    conviction : heal => proc
    etc......

It is the more logical, coherent, and balanced solution for an updated compassion, on par with all other forms of that game.

If the "balancing" thing and "exception hunting and destroying" is not just an hypocrit pretext devs use to do what they want, this is the solution @kaizerin will use to update, fix and balance once and for all compassion.
    Because it's logical, coherent and balanced.

It makes sense, works like all other forms, is limitated to one type of active powers (heals), and is restrained by the 4 seconds cooldown of the form. And very important : IT DOESN'T ALLOW ANY SITUATION WHERE YOU CANNOT STACK, like every other form.

edited March 2019

Got a hot take for ya: bugs should be fixed ;)​​

So you're saying this bugged implementation should be reverted, I agree, Kaizerin get on that please!

yeah no one likes that kind of wording but there you go
  • cohcaloriecohcalorie Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Added Roman Guard bracer and Regal Lion mask costumes to the store.

jjgjiHj.png

So for some reason we've switched the theme of the Lion pieces from Neo-Roman to Stargate-Egyptian. I was expecting some consistency, but this thing is just..... so many things off with this.... I can't even...

:s

I agree... that ankh is awful.
    Post edited by cohcalorie on
    edited March 2019
    So you're saying this bugged implementation should be reverted, I agree, Kaizerin get on that please!

No I meant the actual thing they did in the very next set of PTS notes. i.e. fix the bugs.. the thing I typed.. you know... "bugs should be fixed"? o3o​​
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    Well, I suppose I won't have a shield on my support now since it means I can't get Compassion stacks if people are shielded.

And I suppose on normal content with the overflow of Regeneration, I'm supposed to fight against their passive to get my stacks.

Couldn't we just get compassion stacks for attempted heals during Combat? That avoids the very clear problem of getting to 8 stacks without even being in fight (I'm looking at you Dragon Kick).
    Just don't have your heart set on them scaling with presence, cause it makes sense that they wouldn't.
    Yeah just like it makes no sense to stack offensive forms with dex, str, ego, or even PSS int. Riiiigh. No, they should stack with Presence for the same reason dps forms stack with offense-based stats.

I will say, however, that Presence's innate bonus really should have proper diminishing returns on its innate healing bonus just like all the other stats do. Part of what makes it so powerful right now is the fact that it doesn't.
    Nah, auras are already strong enough so they don't really need to be buffed in that manner. Auras are a benefit of a presence stacking form, so that benefit really shouldn't be entangled with offensive stacking
    If you want people to actually want to use the non-presence-healing forms you keep yipping on about, you have to make it rewarding to do so. Right now, if I want to use an aura and heal, I have no reason to choose a non-presence form over a presence one. If auras stacked with superstats in general, it wouldn't really be a buff to them, but rather, a buff to non-presence support forms like Smouldering.
    Sooooo what you're saying is, we need more of these new healing forms that stack offensively. I agree! Kaizerin, get on that plz!​​
    As long as they don't stack with trash stats like Endurance or Recovery, I'd actually be fine with that. Give me one that stacks with...pretty much anything else via wound applications and I'd pretty damned pleased.
    edited March 2019
    They could also make Compassion no longer scale with Presence. That'd be a good way to make people stop only using that. It'd also make it so aura support is no longer about just stacking Presence and instead is about finding a balance between multiple attributes. Build diversity. :3c​​
    They could also make Compassion no longer scale with Presence.
    Eh, the real problem reason people superstack presence is auras scaling with presence. No-one actually needs the amount of healing strength you can get out of Compassion.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    The FORM (Compassion) is what should scale on Presence. The AURAs should scale to superstats.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    warcanch wrote: »
    The FORM (Compassion) is what should scale on Presence. The AURAs should scale to superstats.

Actually the FORM should be changed entirely to be tied to a power set o3o​​
This discussion has been closed.