test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there any plans to preserve this game?

There were news that Cryptic will disable foundry quest making feature for both Neverwinter Online and Star Trek Online, because it's too expensive to maintain.
And seeing a low population in Champions Online https://steamcharts.com/app/9880 . That raises the worry that Champions Online might cease to exist in following years.

Why do I write this? Well, two of my favorite games are shutting down: "Blacklight: Retribution" and "Orcs Must Die! Unchained". And I don't want another online game to get shut down.

It's difficult to get back to a game to have fun, because of fear of losing it at any moment.

I wonder if there is any emergency plan for the game, like Server Emulation that would've let you play it after official server shut down.

This video explains the Online Game Preservation in more details
https://youtu.be/S4SFE0a9Vqs

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    When Cryptic says the Foundry is too expensive to maintain, what they mean (as they explained) is that when the Foundry breaks, which it does every single time the game gets an update, the entire software team has to drop everything else (and I mean everything - bug fixes, new ships, what have you) to repair it, a process that can eat their entire personnel budget for weeks at a time. This to provide a service that only a minority of their userbase even uses. (I've played maybe three STO Foundry missions. One was superb, one was fair enough but littered with grammatical and logical errors as well as placing my character on a railroad worthy of "Divide et Impera", and one was a buggy mess apparently created entirely as a way to give a player quick XP for doing pretty much nothing. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the concept.)

CO is a different sort of beast altogether, and never had a Foundry in the first place, doggone it (I had such plans...). So the economic calculus is far from the same.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Cryptic representatives have repeatedly assured us that while Champions Online is far from a cash-cow, based on the existing fan base and the resources currently budgeted for it, it more than pays for itself. There don't seem to be any foreseeable practical pressures to terminate it any time soon. Managerial impulses, of course, are impossible to predict.
  • aredeinaredein Posts: 11 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    When Cryptic says the Foundry is too expensive to maintain, what they mean (as they explained) is that when the Foundry breaks, which it does every single time the game gets an update, the entire software team has to drop everything else (and I mean everything - bug fixes, new ships, what have you) to repair it, a process that can eat their entire personnel budget for weeks at a time. This to provide a service that only a minority of their userbase even uses. (I've played maybe three STO Foundry missions. One was superb, one was fair enough but littered with grammatical and logical errors as well as placing my character on a railroad worthy of "Divide et Impera", and one was a buggy mess apparently created entirely as a way to give a player quick XP for doing pretty much nothing. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the concept.)

CO is a different sort of beast altogether, and never had a Foundry in the first place, doggone it (I had such plans...). So the economic calculus is far from the same.

So foundry was implemented like a mod, that needs its own update. It's quite good summary you made. Thank you. But it is still alarming at least a little.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    You're fine.
    We're fine.
    The game is fine.

Why worry something that is inevitable. It will happen eventually. Games do that.
    Just enjoy the ride.
    When it's really, really sure, then gather in Ren Center with torches and signs that say "hell no, we won't go!".
    Until that:
    photofunky.gif

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Games are not forever, but it's not decaying very fast (looks like about -10% per year), so it could easily persist for multiple more years. Or not, there are sometimes code landmines that aren't visible from outside but make it no longer maintainable.
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Cryptic representatives have repeatedly assured us that while Champions Online is far from a cash-cow, based on the existing fan base and the resources currently budgeted for it, it more than pays for itself. There don't seem to be any foreseeable practical pressures to terminate it any time soon. Managerial impulses, of course, are impossible to predict.

It's good you mentioned "managerial impulse" factor. It's what can lead to the worst fate for the game.
    Maybe the game will live for next couple years, but I fear that it might collapse after that.

We also entered a time when bubble called "Games as a service" is bursting. More and more online games are shutting down.

And if "Champions Online is far from a cash-cow", then I hope the developers will do make some emergency plan to make game playable after servers shuts down.
    aredein wrote: »
    And if "Champions Online is far from a cash-cow", then I hope the developers will do make some emergency plan to make game playable after servers shuts down.
    I would be rather surprised by them doing something like that.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    You're fine.
    We're fine.
    The game is fine.

Why worry something that is inevitable. It will happen eventually. Games do that.
    Just enjoy the ride.
    When it's really, really sure, then gather in Ren Center with torches and signs that say "hell no, we won't go!".
    Until that:
    photofunky.gif

I can agree with you, but at the same time, not entirely. With this logic, games that were from PS1 era should have perish once new generation of games came in. I still can play these old games via roms and emulators. Their playable state is vastly increase. Without these things, these games would mostly fade away if not such preservation.
    Games are not forever, but it's not decaying very fast (looks like about -10% per year), so it could easily persist for multiple more years. Or not, there are sometimes code landmines that aren't visible from outside but make it no longer maintainable.

Well, yes. But there is a way to prevent that. Like people who extracted old games into roms and can be played via emulators. So they're closer to immortality than before.
    I would be rather surprised by them doing something like that.

I would be surprised too. In a good way.
    Well, yes. But there is a way to prevent that. Like people who extracted old games into roms and can be played via emulators. So they're closer to immortality than before.
    That doesn't work for games with both a client and a server unless the server software is released, and server code tends to be exceptionally hairy.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    Jon summed up the Foundry situations quite nicely.

To Bulgarex’s point about self-sufficiency and managerial impulse, I worry about Magic: The Gathering’s impending launch. Cryptic has been exceptionally quiet about it since its announcement, but if it’s on track, the launch is bound to impact CO in some way. Hopefully, they’ll have learned the necessary lessons from the Neverwinter/Legacy of Romulus simultaneous crunch that left CO in an effective maintenance mode for much of 2012. There’s still a chance that MtG’s development could upset the balance CO needs to remain viable, though. Maybe they haven’t learned their lesson, and there’s another dev vacuum coming when MtG hits its pre-launch crunch. Maybe data center space or cost becomes a problem and CO gets squeezed out. Maybe, like NW and STO’s Foundries, years of accumulated technical debt comes due, and MtG’s engine enhancements break CO to the point that it’s too expensive to fix. Or maybe that managerial impulse simply says that as MtG approaches its launch date, it would be a good time for CO to $TRAVEL_POWER off into the sunset.

Anything data center-related would likely be terminal. I doubt Cryptic or PWE want to allow player-run CO servers because allowing even binaries to exit their control would put STO, NW, and MtG at risk for exploits, since they all use the same engine and architecture. Migrating player accounts out of Arc would also be a significant risk. Other than that, maintenance mode would be an option, and might keep the game alive for a while longer, but I don’t like CO’s chances of lasting in that state as long as, say, Guild Wars 1.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Jon summed up the Foundry situations quite nicely.

To Bulgarex’s point about self-sufficiency and managerial impulse, I worry about Magic: The Gathering’s impending launch. Cryptic has been exceptionally quiet about it since its announcement, but if it’s on track, the launch is bound to impact CO in some way. Hopefully, they’ll have learned the necessary lessons from the Neverwinter/Legacy of Romulus simultaneous crunch that left CO in an effective maintenance mode for much of 2012. There’s still a chance that MtG’s development could upset the balance CO needs to remain viable, though. Maybe they haven’t learned their lesson, and there’s another dev vacuum coming when MtG hits its pre-launch crunch. Maybe data center space or cost becomes a problem and CO gets squeezed out. Maybe, like NW and STO’s Foundries, years of accumulated technical debt comes due, and MtG’s engine enhancements break CO to the point that it’s too expensive to fix. Or maybe that managerial impulse simply says that as MtG approaches its launch date, it would be a good time for CO to $TRAVEL_POWER off into the sunset.

Anything data center-related would likely be terminal. I doubt Cryptic or PWE want to allow player-run CO servers because allowing even binaries to exit their control would put STO, NW, and MtG at risk for exploits, since they all use the same engine and architecture. Migrating player accounts out of Arc would also be a significant risk. Other than that, maintenance mode would be an option, and might keep the game alive for a while longer, but I don’t like CO’s chances of lasting in that state as long as, say, Guild Wars 1.

These two videos will explain what I mean.

https://youtu.be/tS9vvF1V1Dc

https://youtu.be/fvxaadSzvxU

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Sorry, not going to watch basically blind-linked videos. Had too many people trying to prove things about ST:DSC by linking to Midnight's Edge videos.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    jonsills wrote: »
    Sorry, not going to watch basically blind-linked videos. Had too many people trying to prove things about ST:DSC by linking to Midnight's Edge videos.

That's OK. I just wanted to say that online game death is preventable.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    PS: Steam charts are a bad way to measure our population since many people don't login through Steam. It's entirely possible that a majority of the population doesn't, since CO started outside of Steam and is primarily promoted through ARC.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    PS: Steam charts are a bad way to measure our population since many people don't login through Steam. It's entirely possible that a majority of the population doesn't, since CO started outside of Steam and is primarily promoted through ARC.​​
    They're a fairly plausible way of measuring change over time, though, absent some reason to think the percentage of steam users has changed dramatically.

I can agree on that. Unfortunately, I don't have info on how many players are here on ARC. So my bad, I suppose.
    I can agree on that. Unfortunately, I don't have info on how many players are here on ARC. So my bad, I suppose.
    A lot of people don't use ARC either, you can fire up the launcher directly.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    A lot of people don't use ARC either, you can fire up the launcher directly.

Guilty as charged. I don't use Steam and don't use ARC.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    We haven't seen that much new stuff lately. Certainly not as bad as those dark days. I know some have argued that that they are working on fixing code so that future development will be easier, but atm it "feels" like not much is going on in CO.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    We haven't seen that much new stuff lately. Certainly not as bad as those dark days. I know some have argued that that they are working on fixing code so that future development will be easier, but atm it "feels" like not much is going on in CO.

I hope they'll continue supporting CO. And if not, we need to ask the developers if the have any emergency plan for the game to keep it's playability after it stops giving money.
    I heard that developers are likely to read forums here than in steam forum.
  • galactickirigalactickiri Posts: 92 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »

I hope so, because I've really become rather fond of this game. I didn't become an instant-fan like I did with City of Heroes; it took me time to warm up to it, but it really is the best MMO of its genre in operation.

• n8mcdn8mcd Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Keep in mind, Steam's login numbers only represent one channel of access to CO, and that is all Steam CAN track.

Many like me, launch the game directly, and many more use the ARC game browser to access CO. Steam isn't showing you those numbers
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    They're a fairly plausible way of measuring change over time, though, absent some reason to think the percentage of steam users has changed dramatically.

There's also no reason to think that a change in the number of steam users equates to a change in any other population. On any given day 100 steam users could rage-quit the game, while 200 new players join through Arc meaning steam charts would give an impression of population change that is the opposite of reality.

Yeah nobody really has that information. Some people in the past were really stubborn about repeatedly posting Steam numbers and claiming they proved the game was dying. And here we are years later with the game still alive, and those people are dead.
    I hope they'll continue supporting CO. And if not, we need to ask the developers if the have any emergency plan for the game to keep it's playability after it stops giving money.

The developers would have no ability to do anything if the owners decided to shut the game down, and the owners don't read these forums. I bet the devs wouldn't even be allowed to tell us ahead of time if they were told the game was shutting down soon.​​
  • paneth48paneth48 Posts: 31 Arc User
    The game runs on the same servers as STO and Neverwinter as far as I know, so the cost of keeping it up is probably low and won't be shut down unless STO and NWO gets shut down. It also still brings in some money, probably not tons but enough, and since they really don't develop content for it aside from lockboxes and sometimes bug fixes not really any cost there. In addition they bought the IP for Champions (Which is a table top RPG) so they don't have to pay anyone for its just sitting around and gathering dust. In the case for the Foundry being shut down, its because no one knows how to keep fixing it as the last person who knew how no longer works there. That can be seen many ways but mainly both STO, NW, and CO are fairly old games MMO wise so it's not a surprise that staff would change and some things lost. Their main problem was anytime they updated STO or NW it broke the Foundry for weeks at a time so they would have to have someone hunt and peck code to fix it instead of fixing content on the games themselves. The Foundry was also not bringing them money to support these fixes so eventually they axed it.
  • paneth48paneth48 Posts: 31 Arc User

There's also no reason to think that a change in the number of steam users equates to a change in any other population. On any given day 100 steam users could rage-quit the game, while 200 new players join through Arc meaning steam charts would give an impression of population change that is the opposite of reality.

​​

It probably also doesnt count people like me who log in through the original STO launcher I've been using ever since it came out.

Yeah nobody really has that information. Some people in the past were really stubborn about repeatedly posting Steam numbers and claiming they proved the game was dying. And here we are years later with the game still alive, and those people are dead.

The developers would have no ability to do anything if the owners decided to shut the game down, and the owners don't read these forums. I bet the devs wouldn't even be allowed to tell us ahead of time if they were told the game was shutting down soon.​​

And that is what makes me worried, that we are not allowed to know how well the game is going from their perspective.
    We also don't know what amount of money goes to support the game and what amount of money is going to owner's wallets.