test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Increasing player population - daily 'log-in' bonus

I've been trying to think of a way to increase the player population at here at Champion Online.

One way is to keep people interested by simply logging on to the game. Once in the game, they remember they have all sorts of options to enjoy themselves playing superheroes. This is the antithesis of the phrase, "Out of sight, out of mind".

Many games have daily log-in rewards, all being small, but useful things, that over time can be quite valuable. From crafting materials to tiny amounts of in-game currency. Take Star Trek Online for example; there is a 'log-in' reward for simply answering a trivia question. It rewards 480 Dilithium Ore (STO's Questionite equivalent) for each character on an account that gets it right every day.

Why not have something easy like that here at Champions simply to get people to log on? (the closest we come to that right now is the Alert Questionite Reward for doing three Alerts - which rewards more Questionite, but is very time consuming - not something you can do on each character every day easily).

I know I have certainly been guilty of going WEEKS without logging into CO (and spending any money) even though I love the game. But you better believe I log into STO everyday, because as I said earlier, those little easy rewards start adding up. It keeps me engaged with the game and I usually end up doing a lot more once online than just the trivia questions.

I'm sure other folks can come up with better suggestions for a daily log-in task, but why not mirror what STO has and include a 'Villain's Lineup' as the daily question? Have this available at any of the Mailbo… err, UNTIL Databases that are around the game, that show you a picture of a villain that's in the game, and three names as answers. Pick the right name and you win. This tests your knowledge of the game, fits the superhero theme of keeping up on bad guys, and is quickly accomplished (right or wrong). The amount won doesn't have to be 480 Questionite like in STO. The Devs can set this to an amount they think is correct for the games economy - but would have to be enough to draw people into the game on a daily basis.

I think this would get more players to log in everyday, and not with just one character to see if anything is new (umm, like me :'( ). What do you all think? Good idea or is there something else that's easy for the devs to implement to get folks motivated to log in and play all their characters everyday?

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Take Star Trek Online for example; there is a 'log-in' reward for simply answering a trivia question. It rewards 480 Dilithium Ore (STO's Questionite equivalent) for each character on an account that gets it right every day.
    Really? Can't say I've ever seen that - and 480 Dil would be a pretty rich reward for such a thing, 96 times the reward for a typical Duty Officer assignment (or twenty Dil less than the reward you can choose for completing the daily Omega Particle game during the anniversary).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    We have daily missions, but sure a login thingy is always nice. Could do something like the daily login is some resources, every few days you get some questionite, and some longish time period of concurrent logins gets you a cosmic key. Standard mmo fare.​​
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I think the biggest problem in CO is stagnant character progression. Every time they added some character progression there was a big spike in activity.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    It's like PvP, no amount of incentive is going to make it fun because it's basically an exploitation fest, experiences aside, coming from gear, devices, powers, latency, timing, competition spreading disparity, similar analogy can be applied to the rest of the game, it's like giving people incentive to care for each other, like, what? are you listening how shallow that sounds? are we all that self absorbed that if we see someone struggling, do you choose to help cause you can/good thing to do or do you expect arbitrary digits for "Helping". . . how is that healthy for anyone? look at the Auction House, that's the business indoctrinate talking. . . point being so how would incentives for logging in keep people playing a stagnant game that drove them off for whatever justifications/rationalizations/reasons change that?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited February 2019
    rtma... repeat after me... "It's just a video game".

Also he explained how it would get people to play. They login for the daily rewards, and then potentially get interested in doing some stuff. It's the idea of "well while I'm here I might as well do a thing". That's how it works in other games with this system, pretty simple concept.

aiqa wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem in CO is stagnant character progression. Every time they added some character progression there was a big spike in activity.

It has been a bit since we've had some new stuff to go after - well, not counting new event rewards. A nice big new chunk of stuff would be good tho. Power revamps too. Those get me excited at least.​​
  • theigmotheigmo Posts: 21 Arc User
    Personally, I'd like to see something like:

The first time you log in after the daily reset, gain a stack of "Vigilant," which lasts for 36 hours, stacks to 5, and all instances are refreshed when a new stack is gained. Vigilant could have varying effects based on role:

Melee/Ranged DPS:
    +2% damage
    +1% crit attack chance

Support:
    +2% healing
    +1% crit heal chance

Tank:
    +2% max HP
    +1% resist all damage

Hybrid:
    +1% damage
    +1% healing
    +1% max HP

That way, you're giving players a useful buff that has to be maintained, but also won't cripple players who aren't able to play daily. Sort of like the new Endeavor system in STO, but without being permanent bonuses, and allowing players to get more meaningful bonuses right away if they switch roles.
  • You kind of have this now with daily limits on converting Qnite ore. But thats mainly for endgame chars and not new players.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    rtma wrote: »
    It's like PvP, no amount of incentive is going to make it fun because it's basically an exploitation fest, experiences aside, coming from gear, devices, powers, latency, timing, competition spreading disparity, similar analogy can be applied to the rest of the game, it's like giving people incentive to care for each other, like, what? are you listening how shallow that sounds? are we all that self absorbed that if we see someone struggling, do you choose to help cause you can/good thing to do or do you expect arbitrary digits for "Helping". . . how is that healthy for anyone? look at the Auction House, that's the business indoctrinate talking. . . point being so how would incentives for logging in keep people playing a stagnant game that drove them off for whatever justifications/rationalizations/reasons change that?

ygLD0YE.jpg​​
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    We have daily missions, but sure a login thingy is always nice. Could do something like the daily login is some resources, every few days you get some questionite, and some longish time period of concurrent logins gets you a cosmic key. Standard mmo fare.​​

There's a reason why the daily mission thing isn't rock-solid, though. Benefits like these should make the player think to themselves 'huh, I haven't logged in to this game today. I should go and pick that up.' The key is consistency.
    But then there's the difference in how many people do the different types of alerts, and for what reasons.
    • GRABS are for sub-40 characters almost universally - they are the only ones that use EXP.
    • SMASHES are for level 40 characters almost globally - lv 40 characters make the most money from Smashes
    • BURSTS are for insane people - half the time (more than half actually) it's a Pyramid Power which takes way too long and rewards you with a bunch of level 3 mods you'll either waste fusing or by throwing away because they're taking up space.
    • APBs are for people who ware willing to plan out doing all the different dailies to maximize Q gains, and that isn't a big set considering exactly how often Bursts occur...

So the fact that this suggestion was made kind of points to a more fundamental issue with how our daily missions are being handled, and that's that they're not always seen as something worth doing. And that should be fixed.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

But Grabs are my favorite daily mission. And also I like Pyramid Power oAo​​
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
    how about a random currency grant of some type that can only be gotten on holidays or during events. Not a bunch mind you just a few maybe 1 or 2. I know i would log in with all 60 or so each day or try to just to get the rewards, but i am crazy too so there is that.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    spinnytop wrote: »
    rtma... repeat after me... "It's just a video game".​​

I assume your message is 'Don't take it so seriously' I understand that but still, is that a rationalization to just dismiss what happens to anyone of us even yourself, it's still a medium of expression, to experience our adventures, to make connections with people we interact with, to feel a myriad of emotions from immersion, we still apply ourselves regardless if it's digital or not, to say it's just a game is like telling someone they nearly died "It's just a Near Death Experience" or being bombarded with life threatening radiation "It's just Cancer", even anyone being psychologically tormented on a social media outlet that attempted suicide afterwards "It's just Depression" still doesn't change how it affects us, the negative damage has been done, hope that helps clarify my response.

@lezard21
    ValidSparklingFieldspaniel-small.gif

Post edited by rtma on
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited February 2019
    rtma wrote: »
    regardless if it's digital or not, to say it's just a game is like telling someone they nearly died "It's just a Near Death Experience" or being bombarded with life threatening radiation "It's just Cancer", even anyone being psychologically tormented on a social media outlet that attempted suicide afterwards "It's just Depression" still doesn't change how it affects us

It's not like any of those things at all. You'd have to be insane or completely lacking in empathy to think those comparisons make sense O_O

or, preferably, you just take video games way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously if you think those comparisons make sense u3u kinda hoping it's this one.​​
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    One thing that is proven to increase player population is marketing. It is hard to get new players to the game if they don’t know about it.

This won’t fix retention issues though.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie