test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback Thread: Power Changes

13»

Comments

• chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    After testing Feral Rage for a while, I concluded that it's not worth getting.

It's a shame too. It's a neat-looking power but it's cons outweighs the pros. The movement speed boost seem ideal, but it's just too hard to move to the target when it's active. In other words, you become too fast and might outrange the target.

Oh well. another Ult to the recycling bin.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I think Ultimates as a whole have to be reevaluated as to what are they intended to do. Ultimates, if used within the intended set, currently can be divided into 4 groups:

Burst and Increase in overall DPS: Vorpal Blade, Whirling Dragon Strike, Ego Blade Pandaemonium, Unleashed Rage, Master of the Mind?, Gravity Driver?

Burst but overall decrease in DPS: Crashing Incantation, Devastating Strikes, Meltdown, Feral Rage, Showdown, Fire All Weapons, Mental Impact, Storm Strike.

Low damage and decrease in DPS: Meteor Blaze, Endbringer's Grasp, Energy Storm (lol)

Utility: Whirpool, Implosion Engine, Fractal Aegis, Power Chord, Planar Fracture, Mind Link (it's worth mentioning that outside of Whirpool, all other powers in this category suck at their intended "Utility" role).

Out of the 3 categories of Ultimates that deal damage 2 of them are actually detrimental to your overall performance, which is something that you don't think of when you think the word "Ultimate". Ultimates should either
    a) increase your overall DPS, or
    b) deal burst damage while mantaining your overall DPS​​
    Post edited by lezard21 on
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    lezard21 wrote: »
    b) deal burst damage while mantaining your overall DPS

That is generally not how the dynamic between dps and burst damage works. Burst produces lower dps, because its value lies in producing a big chunk of damage. If a power can take out 3/4ths of a group at the start of a battle, then it's a bit much for it to also be good dps. There's more to the game than cosmics, so it's fine if not every power in your tray is useful at cosmics - though of course many of the powers in that 2nd category apply Overpower, so they are useful at Cosmics. Meltdown is a great move to start dpsing as a laser sword with because it starts up all your plasma burn stacks. Also not so sure Devastating Strikes is a dps decrease, it does quite a lot in a very small window of time. Fire All Weapons can literally kill an entire group on its own.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    b) deal burst damage while mantaining your overall DPS

That is generally not how the dynamic between dps and burst damage works. Burst produces lower dps, because its value lies in producing a big chunk of damage.

Said chunk of damage should always be equal, or ideally higher, than the amount of DPS that you'd do in the same amount of time of the Ultimate's charge/activation time but using your normal rotation.

In all of the cases cited under "Burst but Overall Decrease in DPS" you'd do more damage in that same window of time just by sticking with your normal rotation. Exception being the newly introduced Feral Rage whose decrease in DPS comes from the fact that it eats all your form stacks.

(pd: I moved Gravity Driver up into Burst and Overall increase in DPS since the criteria I used was "when used within their own powerset")​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I would rename your 'Burst but overall decrease in DPS' to '10 target AoE nukes'. Meteor Blaze and Endbringer's Grasp are also supposed to fill the role of blowing up groups of foes but are bad at it. Whirlpool is a dps increase (and implosion engine is if it doesn't get killed).
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    After testing Feral Rage for a while, I concluded that it's not worth getting.

It's a shame too. It's a neat-looking power but it's cons outweighs the pros. The movement speed boost seem ideal, but it's just too hard to move to the target when it's active. In other words, you become too fast and might outrange the target.

Oh well. another Ult to the recycling bin.
    Gotta wait for Fighting Claws Ultimate now to fill the gap, I will never use Feral Rage, sticking with Unleashed Rage​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    I would rename your 'Burst but overall decrease in DPS' to '10 target AoE nukes'.

I'll do that once we get any fight where there are 10 targets that you want to kill fast or with little time inbetween each. So far the only endgame fight were you want to kill multiple targets at once is FnI, and that's only 2 targets.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I'll do that once we get any fight where there are 10 targets that you want to kill fast or with little time inbetween each.
    They tend to have uses for warzone farming. Note that the ones that apply Overpower are likely to be a dps increase at cosmics.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »
    Gotta wait for Fighting Claws Ultimate now to fill the gap, I will never use Feral Rage, sticking with Unleashed Rage​​

I'm scared that Kaizerin might bring back UR's Enrage consumption so she can "balance" it with Feral Rage.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »
    Gotta wait for Fighting Claws Ultimate now to fill the gap, I will never use Feral Rage, sticking with Unleashed Rage

I'm scared that Kaizerin might bring back UR's Enrage consumption so she can "balance" it with Feral Rage.

Oh you beasts and your irrational fears :P​​
This discussion has been closed.