test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Distinguished Gear Suggestion

gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
edited February 2019 in Suggestions Box
Very unsure if a suggestion thread has been posted about this, but I've been reading how the defenses and offenses Distinguished Gear grants makes it the most lack luster of the 3 endgame sets. While not trying to have a set outshine one another, each have their specific purposes and yet not be as strict to those roles, how about a direct buff to the bonuses the Distinguished Set gives?

Suggestion:
2 piece: +10 Superstats
2piece: +15 Non-Superstats
3 piece: +42 Defense -> 3 piece: +84~126 Defense or +20% damage resistance
3 Piece: +15% Threat Generation

Figured since, the Justice Set Bonuses tends to the more offensive focus and the Virtuous Set Bonuses tends to the more supportive focus, that the Distinguished Set Bonuses should tend to the more defensive focus that actually does make an acceptable or decent difference, even if the defense stat is already reaching or breaching the diminishing returns.
I'm not one with the Cryptic math, but with the 84-126 Defense or 20% Damage resistance, that should at least provide a jump in the natural damage resistance your hero has.
The threat generation amount can definitely vary between 5-15%, I only suggest 15% to have a total of up to 100% Threat Generation of attacks from, at max, two confront 9's (35% Threat Gen. + 35% Threat Gen.) and either Onslaught Gloves of the Defender (10% Threat Gen.) or Cosmic Fang of Wrath/Rage with a confront 5 (15% Threat Gen.).
Healers won't want threat at all, but it's not like tanks can't overtake healing aggro, especially at the endgame in CO. Definitely debatable whether the bonus threat gen should be Tank role only or not role specific. I personally wouldn't have it role-specific, mostly for ease of coding.
Just a thought.
Post edited by gentlegiantvexx on

Comments

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,075 Arc User
    Hopefully this doesn't derail or detract from your points. I just want to chime in about why I get the sets I play with.

Out of my 60 odd alts, only 2 have Justice Sets. Distinguished and Virtuous for any others that have been active at Cosmics.

The only reason I don't strive for Justice on the many dps characters is that I don't much care for 2 of the 4 Rampages, nor the RNG needed to get a token. I have tons of Gravitar tokens. A bunch of F&I tokens, but very few of LI and SC tokens. So, for me, the difference between Distinguished and Justice gear is not enough for me to work for Justice gear. All I have to do is earn the reward at the Cosmic fight and that character will eventually get a set that is fine for them.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    warcanch wrote: »
    Hopefully this doesn't derail or detract from your points. I just want to chime in about why I get the sets I play with.

Out of my 60 odd alts, only 2 have Justice Sets. Distinguished and Virtuous for any others that have been active at Cosmics.

The only reason I don't strive for Justice on the many dps characters is that I don't much care for 2 of the 4 Rampages, nor the RNG needed to get a token. I have tons of Gravitar tokens. A bunch of F&I tokens, but very few of LI and SC tokens. So, for me, the difference between Distinguished and Justice gear is not enough for me to work for Justice gear. All I have to do is earn the reward at the Cosmic fight and that character will eventually get a set that is fine for them.​​

Oh, for sure! We all humbly agree and already point others in that same direction you have here. Nowadays it's either Justice, or disregard Rampages and go strictly for the Virtuous Set unfortunately. Not saying that you don't take Distinguished, just that Virtuous offers more, especially with the crit gloves like Justice.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    The threat generation is perhaps a bit too specialized and marks the set as "TANKS ONLY". Damage, mitigation and healing stats are all universal and apply to any role. Instead of any sort of +/- threat stat that strictly locks the gear's role, it'd make more sense to add more +Offense so the piece remains universally applicable.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The problem is that there's a point system for gear, all the GCR sets are built on the same number of points, and Distinguished gear spends a bunch of points on things that are not highly valued, such as offense and CC resistance.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Get rid of the CC bonus and add in more HP.

Boost the amount of Offense so that it becomes meaningful. This still ties into the Wardicator loop, yes?

Make the Threat boost something that only happens if you are in Tank role. If in any other role add something else (Threat mitigation?)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Been there. Suggested that. Got nothing. Let go, start the healing and embrace the superior in every way Virtuous Gear​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Boost the amount of Offense so that it becomes meaningful. This still ties into the Wardicator loop, yes?

Wardicator doesn't loop at all anymore. Both Best Offense/Defense only grant bonus Defense/Offense based on your base (and set bonus) gear stat only.

This is mostly the reason why Distinguished gear lost a lot of offensive and defensive capability once the loop was fixed and ended up being outperformed by the other sets that have ways to boost damage and defense without relying on Wardicator (Justice has innate crit chance and severity to boost your offense, Virtuous has the 10% damage reduction inbuilt)​​
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    I can definitely see the threat being gone,
    I'd still feel incredibly strong that the defense is the major buff that should be beefing this set up.
    Offense and control resistance being given low value is a broader problem than distinguished gear.

The problem with offense is just that it scales poorly. I happen to have a character (healer) with some slotted for some reason -- crit severity is 50%, dex is 25. One r7 offense mod gives me +2.7% damage. One r7 crit mod increases my crit from 7.6% to 20.6%, which is a net +6.5%. With enough Dex offense actually can win out (on my 700 dex character, it's only about a 1% damage increase), but that certainly doesn't argue for using this gear on a tank.

The problem with control resistance is that important control effects in this game can mostly be completely negated by blocking and are usually potent enough that not blocking is a non-option.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    Suggestion:
    3 Piece: +15% Threat Generation [/b][/color]
    This is a big flat out no. Many players pick this set up as an alternate to the Justice Gear Set and this might make things more complicated if this part of the feature is added to the set.
  • pjz99pjz99 Posts: 143 Arc User
    There should be some awareness of current role for anything like that, yeah. The OV tank gloves are another problem like that.
    pjz99 wrote: »
    There should be some awareness of current role for anything like that, yeah. The OV tank gloves are another problem like that.

nowai dood, I use those gloves to tank in dps role​​
    You may be joking but people do exactly that, because the design of the item encourages it.
    You may be joking but people do exactly that, because the design of the item encourages it.
    It's not obviously a joke. I have deliberately tanked in dps role before, and I used defender gloves as part of my threat scheme for doing it.

I'm not joking at all, I tank alerts in dps role all the time. Hell I've tanked TA in dps role. These gloves are great for that so I'd prefer they don't become role-aware.​​
    edited February 2019
    Okay, that's literally the problem with that item's design \o/
    e: "I know it's broken and I like it broken" lol
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    I still like the idea that the DG set could give a bonus to aggro in the tank role and something else (crit chance?) in any other role.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    The problem with its design is that it's appealing to dps, because it's a defensive effect that scales with your offensive power. Defender gloves were always intended to be for tanks, it's an accident of design that other builds might want them.

It's intended for tanking, and I'm using it to tank. What's broken about that? :)​​
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    3 Piece: +15% Threat Generation

This fix may kill CCer build using Distinguished gears if applied. o3o
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I'd prefer a health bonus of about 3000.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Maybe not a straight-up threat bonus. I got distinguished on a few dps back when no one was running rampages, and virtuous wasn't out yet. I may eventually upgrade them, but I would rather not have to strip off the gear they farmed due to excessive threat.
    edited February 2019
    vonqball wrote: »
    Maybe not a straight-up threat bonus. I got distinguished on a few dps back when no one was running rampages, and virtuous wasn't out yet. I may eventually upgrade them, but I would rather not have to strip off the gear they farmed due to excessive threat.

That is a very good point. Having Defender Gloves ( minus the shield ) forced onto a dps wouldn't feel very good. I have a few dps in Distinguished as well.​​