test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for Advise for my Tank Concept

New player looking for some advice on my 1st attempt at a free-form tanking build. Going with an Offensive styled tank, kinda like the good old Brutes of the CoH/CoV days. Done some research, but could use some experienced FF builders advice on it.

Name: Armored Juggernaut

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Behemoth (con 10/ str 10/ rec 10/ end 8)
Level 6: Quick Recovery (con 5/rec 5)
Level 9: Relentless (str 5/ rec 5)
Level 12: Physical Conditioning (str 5/ con 5)
Level 15: Boundless Reserves (con 5/ end 5)
Level 18: Bodybuilder (str 5/ end 5)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (rec 5/ end 5)

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Surge of Strength)
Level 6: Mini Gun (Rank 2, U-238 Rounds, Challenging Strikes)
Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Gauntlet Chainsaw (Rank 2)
Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
Level 17: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity)
Level 20: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 26: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Challenging Strikes)
Level 29: Unbreakable (Rank 2)
Level 32: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Shockwave (Rank 2, Power Shift, Challenging Strikes)
Level 38: Aggressor

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Rocket Jump
Level 35: Jet Boots

Specializations:
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Quick Healing (2/3)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

Trying to stick with an Power Armored trooper of the Viper villain group. I'm unsure on MSA and the Medical Nanites, the slot with Aggressor is open or for more damage while soloing. Also will the Warden and Guardian Trees overlap in bonuses, if so...going to love the Gain 20 Offense stacking 5 times, bonus +80% defense from items, and bonus +200% of Defense as Offense.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Okay, a few basic things here:

- Enrage only procs when you attempt to knock, while many powers here are incapable of knocking.
    - Slotted PA toggles like Minigun or Micro Muni will lockout all other powers when used, and there's a delay to when other powers can be used once you turn all the slotted toggles off. This generally means that you shouldn't be mixing slotted PA attacks w/ other types of attacks.
    - Guardian + Warden is an okay hybrid option, but usually mixing Warden or Guardian w/ specs like Brawler, Vindicator, or Avenger is better for dps, while Protector is generally better for tanking. And even if those multipliers seem impressive, Offense has a DR and isn't a final dmg bonus in of itself, and other specs can offer defensive bonuses too.
    - Unlike other slotted passives, its generally a waste to rank up Defiance, as ranks only help w/ starting stacks, and it should be relatively easy to stack Defiant as a tank.
    - Speaking of slotted passives, you took two here (Defiance and Med Nanites) when you can only have one slotted at a time. Unless you plan on swapping roles and passives somewhat frequently, I'd drop one of them (Med Nanites here, if its a tank).
    - You also have a general amount of attack redundancy here, mainly when it comes to AoE powers. Although its fine to include multiple diff attacks for various reasons (usually theme-related), going overboard can crowd the build out of other potentially useful things.
    - It also seems like you are using an older character builder, judging by the 'Challenging Strikes' advs being listed instead of 'Challenge!'. I'd suggest using the HeroCreator builder:
    https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm

There's other things to nitpick atm, but I'd rather see the build tweaked a bit more and have its attack set be more streamlined. If you want to make it a PA build, I'd generally either use non-slotted PA attacks if mixing w/ other powersets, or just make it a committed PA build. Keep in mind its generally trickier to mix ranged and melee in CO as well.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    As another point against slotted PA powers: you can block when using slotted PA powers, but that locks out the power, and it remains locked out for a short time (maybe a second) after you release block. This makes PA toggles not very usable in content where a lot of blocking is required, such as most Cosmics (it's okay for Kigatilik).
  • Options
    gangrel21betagangrel21beta Posts: 8 Arc User
    Thank you for the knowledge, like I said still new ( 2 weeks old) and learn something new every day. Looking to get that old CoV Brute feel again :) I'll do some more brainstorming.
  • Options
    gangrel21betagangrel21beta Posts: 8 Arc User
    How about this build changes?

Ready
    Data Edit Preview Export Settings Help About
    Forum Preview
    Armored Juggernaut - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.27:30

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Surge of Strength)
    Level 6: Defiance
    Level 8: Gauntlet Chainsaw (Rank 2)
    Level 11: Aspect of the Machine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Mini Gun (U-238 Rounds, Infrared Guidance System, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Demolish (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Laser Deflection (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Energy Wave (Reverse Polarity, Recharge, Challenge!)
    Level 29: Uppercut (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Unbreakable (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Shockwave (Rank 2, Power Shift, Challenge!)
    Level 38: Aggressor
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Rocket Jump
    Level 35: Jet Boots

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    HeroCreator is a character planner for Champions Online™ based on Kyle Sherman's PowerHouse

Using Minigun for Aggro, Energy Wave and Shockwave to pull them closer/aggro them. Got aggressor to fill the slot and soloing. Cut down the Power Armor stuff, but still want me some Minigun goodness. Or switch it with Gatling Gun, thinking of also dropping Energy Wave.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Well, you generally don't want to rank forms like Aspect of the Bestial. AotB procs on bleeds or poisons, which you don't really have here. You also kept a slotted PA attack (Minigun) in there, which can have all the issues mentioned before, and you'll likely have some energy problems using the Chainsaw heavily (a fitting energy unlock could help w/ that, though).

The build still seems to be a bit all over the place in terms of attack types, and many are still somewhat redundant. Its prob easier to narrow it down to 2-3 attacks you consider the most fitting for your character concept; building around that could be an easier start, potentially (ofc, staying away from slotted PA, generally).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!