test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not so Distinguished

nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 974 Arc User
edited February 2019 in Items and Crafting
This gear was meant to be the defensive option for people, with Justice being for dps and Virtuous for healers.
But Virtuous at the moment is better for both tanking and healing, and Distinguished is not really that worth anymore. this was a sub product of nerfing wardicator loop a while ago, this gear needs to shine again somehow.
I suggest either give it a flat +% damage resistance, more defense, or anything, if you need to get rid of other stats in the gear like knock in the freedom one or dodge/avoidance in agility, do it, just make this gear worth the grind.
Point is, make this gear THE tank gear.
Edit:
https://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1212702/distinguished-gear-suggestion
Vexx made a post about this, linking it
​​
Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day

Comments

• lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    When naciito says "buff distinguished gear" he doesn't mean "nerf virtuous and justice"
    wanted to clarify that just in case​​
  • sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    So I'm just going to go right a head and say distinguished is fine as is. If you're self healing as a tank something's wrong. That bonus healing is pointless from virtuous on a tank. And if I'm wrong, and it boosts outside healing sources too, again, something's wrong if you seriously need it for your tank.

Additionally, needing critical chance on a tank is also a bad sign. It's literally not needed unless you want nothing but aggro, or you're a focus tank. And even then, having dex is good enough. You don't need it, the offense from distinguished is better due to vindicator giving it back as defense, plus its just more damage anyway.

Distinguished doesn't really need anything. Aggro problems aren't related to gear, its related to statting, mods, and your rotations.

You might be wondering why I brought that up when the OP talked about resistances. Well, that's because people think Justice is best because of damage. In reality you're just a squishier tank that does slightly more damage with Justice.
    Distinguished still makes you a slightly tankier tank that does less damage.

However, once specs get put into play, The wardicator fix made distinguished better in that regard honestly. As a matter of fact, my main tank got a pretty big EHP increase as a result of the change, while on full distinguished, even if I don't have the 240%+ plus damage resistance I had prior.

It's pretty much fine where its at. It doesn't need a threat buff, it doesn't need a resistance buff, if anything, distinguished gear's dodge chance needs to be upped ONLY because it still doesn't make a lick of gat dang sense to me that legion's gear has more dodge chance than it. I guess it makes sense in the sense it has both dodge and avoid? But it could just have the sum of the avoid/dodge as dodge chance instead, frankly. That goes for all the agility defenses for all three sets, though.
    Post edited by sergeantmahoff1 on
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    According to real tested numbers Distinguished falls behind Virtuous in all categories, no matter how you spec. It doesn't fall behind by much, but the stats it gets to make up for falling behind in meaningful categories are just not worth it. Distinguished isn't behind by much, but the fact that it's behind across the board means it's certainly not fine. The only piece worth getting is the Utility piece if you need the energy proc, and at 2 Virtuous pieces you're already getting everything that makes Virtuous better than Distinguished. If you don't need the energy proc, then grats you also get some healing bonus on top of that and no tank is gonna say no to that considering they also get better damage mitigation, and better damage output with it.

Might as well just rename Virtuous to "All the actually good things" Gear :)​​
    So what that tells me is that distinguished doesn't need a buff, but virtuous needs a nerf.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 974 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    lezard21 wrote: »
    When naciito says "buff distinguished gear" he doesn't mean "nerf virtuous and justice"
    wanted to clarify that just in case
    ^
    I meant this as well btw mahoff, it's not about threat or agro or any of that, its the +10% resistance par of that gear that makes it better than dist for tanking, why nerfing virtuous when it's easier to just fix dist? you know, to actually make it better for what WAS meant for a more defensive end game gear?​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
    **** this forums
    stop eating my posts reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee​​
  • behemothking#9246 behemothking Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Comment removed by moderation​​
    Post edited by ph0toncann0n on
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The issues with Distinguished vs other sets are mostly in secondary effects:
    1. +15 all superstats, +10 non-superstats, is not as good as +25 all superstats. Sure, it's common to find some non-superstats valuable in small amounts, but it's rare to have three non-superstats that you particularly care about, and, well, talents exist. On your typical melee tank, Int, Ego, and Presence are dump stats (if tanks care about secondary benefits, they can slot cost reduction, cc resistance, and heal strength, all of which will perform better than the stat investment), Rec and End are nice to have a bit of.
    2. If I want knock or hold resistance, I can slot mods for that. People generally don't, if you look at prices, the 'Freedom' gear types are always at the bottom of desirability.
    3. Ditto for offense. People can slot Offense cores and don't. For that matter, post wardicator nerf they mostly don't slot defense either, they just go for hit points.
    (got bored of waiting 1 month for the mods to restore my post so rewriting it)

I MEAN

The thing is Virtuous was never actually the "Healing" gear. Justice set offered more healing thanks to it's healing glove offering a 30% bonus healing vs Virtuous 15%, it's offense that gets converted into healing bonus with Repurpose spec AND the 10 extra Superstat points.

If anything Virtuous was the "Hybrid" set. It was more defensive than Justice, and it was more offensive than Distinguished.

Pre-Wardicator nerf Distinguished offered 2-3% more damage mitigation than Virtuous and 5-6% more damage mitigation than Justice. It probably offered the same amount as Virtuous if you didn't take Wardicator (this part is speculation since I didn't test it back then RIP) but HEY that was not a problem back then since Wardicator was the be-all end-all of Cosmic aggro fight tanking, amarite? ^_^

Post-Wardicator nerf however (as you can see in @spinnytop 's informative chart that he posted in the topic I made about this same issue last August which I will not link cause nazi forums hate links) Virtuos was only offering 0.5% more damage mitigation than Justice AND was lagging 2% behind Virtuous. How anyone got more EHP on the same build post-wardicator nerf is beyond me.

So, TL;DR

Pre-Wardicator Nerf
    Offense: Justice > Virtuous > Distinguished
    Defense: Distinguished > Virtuous > Justice
    Healing: Justice > Virtuous > Distinguished

Post-Wardicator Nerf
    Offense: Justice>Virtuous>Distinguished
    Defense:Virtuous > Justice = Distinguished

So you see, asking for Virtuous to be nerfed is perphaps the worst possible suggestion anyone could make since Virtuous is not overperforming now or ever. It was and still is the Hybrid gear, only now Distinguished sucks super bad ^_^​​
    The obvious solution is to increase the effectiveness of Defense and Offense. Perhaps by 25%...
    (got bored of waiting 1 month for the mods to restore my post so rewriting it)

I MEAN

The thing is Virtuous was never actually the "Healing" gear. Justice set offered more healing thanks to it's healing glove offering a 30% bonus healing vs Virtuous 15%, it's offense that gets converted into healing bonus with Repurpose spec AND the 10 extra Superstat points.

If anything Virtuous was the "Hybrid" set. It was more defensive than Justice, and it was more offensive than Distinguished.

Pre-Wardicator nerf Distinguished offered 2-3% more damage mitigation than Virtuous and 5-6% more damage mitigation than Justice. It probably offered the same amount as Virtuous if you didn't take Wardicator (this part is speculation since I didn't test it back then RIP) but HEY that was not a problem back then since Wardicator was the be-all end-all of Cosmic aggro fight tanking, amarite? ^_^

Post-Wardicator nerf however (as you can see in @spinnytop 's informative chart that he posted in the topic I made about this same issue last August which I will not link cause nazi forums hate links) Virtuos was only offering 0.5% more damage mitigation than Justice AND was lagging 2% behind Virtuous. How anyone got more EHP on the same build post-wardicator nerf is beyond me.

So, TL;DR

Pre-Wardicator Nerf

Post-Wardicator Nerf

So you see, asking for Virtuous to be nerfed is perphaps the worst possible suggestion anyone could make since Virtuous is not overperforming now or ever. It was and still is the Hybrid gear, only now Distinguished sucks super bad ^_^​​

Calling anything hybrid, and then saying it should be 'more' than something else is a bit of an error in my opinion considering hybrid in CO means jack of all trades. If it was truly the hybrid set, it would be less than both in those regards. Additionally, Justice was the first set and had no chances to compensate for future item sets.

I'd also like to point out that, there was clearly a plan with these sets on creation, and I highly doubt it involved having pieces thrown around willy nilly like that. No one or two parts of a set should be considered irrelevant just because another set has a stat that doesn't make sense for it. Furthermore, virtuous gauntlets can give more healing in cases which one simply doesn't want to get justice gear. Virtuous as a full set also has 38% bonus healing on top of the 15%.

In conclusion, Justice was made to work for everyone's needs, Distinguished came as an option for tanks, and Virtuous came as an option for healers. there is no 'hybrid' set. Just one okay gear set, one fine as is gear set, and one that needs a change due to clearly overstepping its boundaries.
    Incidentally, the big problem with cc resistance is that, outside of PvP, all significant CC is either blockable or irresistible, and failing to block is likely to kill you even if you have cc resistance.
    edited March 2019
    The issues with Distinguished vs other sets are mostly in secondary effects:
    1. +15 all superstats, +10 non-superstats, is not as good as +25 all superstats. Sure, it's common to find some non-superstats valuable in small amounts, but it's rare to have three non-superstats that you particularly care about, and, well, talents exist. On your typical melee tank, Int, Ego, and Presence are dump stats (if tanks care about secondary benefits, they can slot cost reduction, cc resistance, and heal strength, all of which will perform better than the stat investment), Rec and End are nice to have a bit of.
    2. If I want knock or hold resistance, I can slot mods for that. People generally don't, if you look at prices, the 'Freedom' gear types are always at the bottom of desirability.
    3. Ditto for offense. People can slot Offense cores and don't. For that matter, post wardicator nerf they mostly don't slot defense either, they just go for hit points.

If you're trying to say that people don't purchase "Freedom" gear types because people don't care about knock or hold resistance, that doesn't make much sense because CC Resistance stat does not affect knock or hold resistance. CC Resistance affects your ability to break out of things like roots. Knock and hold are different categories of powers.​​
    Post edited by ph0toncann0n on
    If you're trying to say that people don't purchase "Freedom" gear types because people don't care about knock or hold resistance, that doesn't make much sense because CC Resistance stat does not affect knock or hold resistance. CC Resistance affects your ability to break out of things like roots. Knock and hold are different categories of powers.
    CC resistance affects stun, paralyze, incapacitate, confuse, and root.
    edited February 2019
    If you're trying to say that people don't purchase "Freedom" gear types because people don't care about knock or hold resistance, that doesn't make much sense because CC Resistance stat does not affect knock or hold resistance. CC Resistance affects your ability to break out of things like roots. Knock and hold are different categories of powers.
    CC resistance affects stun, paralyze, incapacitate, confuse, and root.

Last time I checked, hold resistance affects stun, paralyze, incapacitate. You only get hold resistance from EGO stat bonuses and the CON primary spec. CC resistance doesn't affect stun, paralyze, and incapacitate. You get CC resistance from PRE stat bonuses. If you can remember playing on a healer vs. an EGO dps, it's no easier to break out from holds on a healer from a non-EGO statted character but on an EGO dps, breaking out of holds is near instant. That's because CC resistance doesn't affect holds, only hold resistance affects holds.

I'll go do a full test.
    Post edited by behemothking#9246 on
    Will reply in parts cause...
    Furthermore, virtuous gauntlets can give more healing in cases which one simply doesn't want to get justice gear. Virtuous as a full set also has 38% bonus healing on top of the 15%.

Yeah, let's start with this point right here o3o

Virtuous offers: 15% healing bonus on gloves, 38% healing on set, 15 Presence (Superstat) and 0 Offense. 0 x 0.3 Repurpose = 0 additional healing. Total of 53% bonus healing + 15 Presence (with high enough Presence this represents nothing)

Justice offers: 30% healing bonus on gloves, 0% healing on set, 25 Presence (Superstat) and 147 Offense. 147 Offense x 0.3 Repurpose = 44% healing bonus. Total of 74% bonus healing + 25 Presence (again with high enough Presence this represents nothing).
    If it was truly the hybrid set, it would be less than both in those regards.

It was. Re:my 2nd reply to this thread (the one forums didn't eat). Here, I painted in yellow Virtuous position relative to the other gear sets so it's easier to see:

Pre-Wardicator Nerf

Additionally, Justice was the first set and had no chances to compensate for future item sets.
    (...)
    In conclusion, Justice was made to work for everyone's needs, Distinguished came as an option for tanks, and Virtuous came as an option for healers. there is no 'hybrid' set.

Agreed on the Justice set part coming at a time it didn't have any other gear set to compete against. Disagree on the rest.
    If Virtuous was made to be the healer gear it failed and still fails to do so. Distinguished WAS an option for tanks but now it's overshadowed by the 2 other sets. So all in all we currently have a Healing set that is not the best healing set, and a Tanking set that is not the best tanking set by a long mile.
    Just one okay gear set, one fine as is gear set, and one that needs a change due to clearly overstepping its boundaries.
    But Virtuous didn't overstep it's boundaries o3o Virtuous was created as more offense than Distinguished and more Defense than Justice. That was it's original boundary, one from which it hasn't move. What did move was Distinguished, it moved backwards when Wardicator got nerfed. Here, I painted in red the variable that changed positions in time so it's easier to see:

Pre-Wardicator Nerf

Post-Wardicator Nerf
    ​​
    Last time I checked, hold resistance affects stun, paralyze, incapacitate.
    Yes, but I was talking about CC resistance. CC resistance basically works against anything that stacks manipulator.
    You get CC resistance from PRE stat bonuses.
    In pathetic quantities. I get 0.7 points of CC resist with the presence on my healer, vs the 48 points on a rank 7 core.
    You get CC resistance from PRE stat bonuses.
    In pathetic quantities. I get 0.7 points of CC resist with the presence on my healer, vs the 48 points on a rank 7 core.

Yeah we were just noticing that too. What the frick @kaizerin o3o That should totally read 70% CC resistance, there's an extra /100 there that wasn't there before.​​
  • Yes, but I was talking about CC resistance. CC resistance basically works against anything that stacks manipulator.

Ok, you're right. Did a full test and learned stuff. Here are the results: https://i.imgur.com/hS3VreF.png

Interestingly, CC resistance only shows to be useful against stuns.

That explains a lot and seems like a bug.
    Incidentally, the big problem with cc resistance is that, outside of PvP, all significant CC is either blockable or irresistible, and failing to block is likely to kill you even if you have cc resistance.

The purpose of CC resistance should be for when you do miss a block or for those non-resistable CC effects. I think what you say indicates that CC resistance at the moment doesn't do enough or that players have no way of obtaining enough of it for it to be useful. The test that I did was with two R9 Sents and OV freedom gear which is near the higher end of amount of CC resistance you can get without specs and even with that much it hardly helps unless you are against a stun and it is outclassed by EGO modding. It's a weird situation how CC resistance has resistance to CC as its dedicated purpose yet EGO's secondary effect surpasses it.

I think it's worth considering giving Distinguished gear a huge bonus to CC resistance. Something like +150-+200 CC resistance would be a step towards making it a unique, valuable, and effective defensive choice for an endgame gear.
  • Yes, but I was talking about CC resistance. CC resistance basically works against anything that stacks manipulator.

Ok, you're right. I did a full test and learned a lot: https://i.imgur.com/hS3VreF.png

That explains a lot and seems like a bug.

CC resistance should be for when you do miss a block or those non-resistable CC effects. I think what you say indicates that CC resistance doesn't do enough at the current moment or that players can't get enough of it for the stat to be useful. The test I did above was with two R9 Sentinels and an OV Freedom gear which is near the highest end of CC resistance that you can get with gear and the shown benefit doesn't seem to be very much especially when you consider that you could have put in more defense or health into your gear.

I think it's worth considering adding a huge CC resistance increase to Distinguished gear. Something like +150-200 CC Resistance would be the start of making Distinguished a lot more unique, effective, and defensive over other endgame gear sets.

**** these forums ate my post again
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The obvious solution is to increase the effectiveness of Defense and Offense. Perhaps by 25%...

Maybe. The issue there is that now you're not just buffing Distinguished gear, you're also buffing Justice and a bunch of builds as well, some of which are already performing very well.

On the other hand, what about adding a % increase to base damage to Distinguished's 3 piece set bonus?​, and also bumping up the amount of Defense it gives? That could put it closer to, or even past Virtuous in regards to mitigation, and give it the role of "steady damage" gear, in contrast to Justice and Virt being "rng-ish crit damage" gear. I know tanks in MMOs have historically valued steady damage, and this also makes it not uninteresting to DPS.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • pjz99pjz99 Posts: 143 Arc User
    Tinkering with the base offense/defense mechanic in order to address a subtle disparity between two item sets seems totally bananas but that's just me.
    pjz99 wrote: »
    Tinkering with the base offense/defense mechanic in order to address a subtle disparity between two item sets seems totally bananas but that's just me.
    The thing is, it's not just those item sets. In mods, people mostly favor Crit Chance over Offense, and Hit Points over Defense, which suggests there's a balance problem with both.