test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nemesis mission idea

megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
I am making this for someone else. Since they wish to give an idea for a nemesis quest.

Comments

• Options
    ptfiredance#7940 ptfiredance Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    > @megaskullmon said:
    > I am making this for someone else. Since they wish to give an idea for a nemesis quest.

I'm a new account and can't make this thread myself, so a million thanks to my good bestie here for making the discussion. *hugs!*

I only started this game last October when megaskullmon mentioned it to me and I fell in love with it. I have to say that the nemesis feature is one of the most unique systems in any mmo I've ever played, and it makes total sense for a superhero-themed game like CO. After playing through the mission where your nemesis gets busted out of jail by their minions then playing through City Hall and the one in the desert mine with Ghost Veil, I had an idea for a new nemesis mission that I think would be really fun.

What if there was a mission where the player becomes their nemesis's mind-controlled lieutenant for part of the mission set? I don't know exactly how that would work as a team of players, but here's the general overview for both solo and team play:

It's a three quest series.

1: Exactly how the player receives the first mission in the series is not determined yet, so for the purposes of just getting this idea out there we'll say the mission starter item drops from a minion ambush like any other nemesis mission. The mission briefing tells the player hero that their nemesis is attempting to build another doomsday device (after their first one in the mission in Westside crapped out on them), so the mission is to make sure this doesn't happen. Upon arriving at the location and stepping into the instance, it's your standard hack-and-smash-and-blast your way into the compound with a duel against your nemesis at the end of the instance. But, when the nemesis drops to low health, say 25%, the nemesis springs the trap and the player hero is suddenly blasted by countless mind-control devices at once that are being wielded by the nemesis minions who had been hiding (these devices could be leftovers from the quest in City Center that has you gathering them from members of PSI). With the player hero incapacitated by all the mind control devices firing at once, the nemesis whips out their own mind-control device and this finally overwhelms the player hero. The mission auto completes and the next one is automatically given. (a possible title for this mission could be "Out of Ideas")

*because of how this mission set is meant to work, part 1 and 2 would be done back-to-back unless a way can be found to let the player hold onto part 2 and do it another time. It might even be possible to combine part 1 and 2 into a single mission*

2. This is the part of the series where the player character is acting on behalf of their nemesis as their mind-controlled lieutenant. The nemesis wants to take a break from threatening the world and pull a good old-fashioned bank heist, and the player hero will be the muscle. (I'm a little stuck on the exact story details for the bank heist part of this mission, so if anyone has any suggestions please share them!) Here's the current idea for this segment: inside the bank, the mc'd player hero beats down teams of security guards with the nemesis helping, then the nemesis gets one of the guards to let them into the vault. We move outside to the police barricade. (again I'm coming up short on ideas for the story elements of this particular part, so suggestions please!) This is where the nemesis takes the money and peaces out in their usual teleports-away fashion and their minions start fleeing.

In the crowd outside behind the police is a certain powerful proto-mentalist (the one the player rescued from PSI during the City Center mission line. I don't think it would be necessary to have that particular quest completed to be eligible for this nemesis mission series, since not everyone likes to do general questing). The proto-mentalist figures out pretty quick that the player hero is under a powerful mind-control, which she could break, but would need to maintain full concentration for it to have a chance, thus the task of keeping the player hero occupied falls to Defender, Witchcraft, and Kinetik who have also arrived on the scene (Ironclad isn't there because he's off on Monster Island, and Sapphire isn't there because she's not even in game except for specific mission events like the tutorial and Vibora Bay crisis). Now it's time for a boss event.

**the goal for this boss event is for the player to feel like a real super villain by crushing the meddling do-gooders trying to stop you. I don't know the exact details, but the general idea is for the player to fight against the Champions present while the proto-mentalist tries to break the nemesis's mind control over you.**

Story wise, after the fight has been going on for x amount of time (again there would have to be script in place to prevent the player from cheesing this part of the mission by just standing there and not dueling the Champions (you're supposed to be proving your worth and doing your new boss's bidding, lazy bones!)), or the player defeats the Champions enough times the proto-mentalist succeeds in breaking the nemesis's control over the player hero and the player hero passes out in a cutscene (as in not counted as a defeat in gameplay) and the mission auto completes. (possible title for this mission is "Whose Side Am I On?")

3. The final mission in the series is automatically given to the player after their hero wakes up from their little blackout in another cutscene. Where they wake up and how long they've been out for I don't know. Maybe at Mercy Hospital and a couple hours or so story-wise. *shrug* Regardless, in this final mission in the series, a minion of the nemesis who was captured during their retreat from the bank revealed that the nemesis actually has been building another doomsday device and that it is nearly complete. How this revelation ties into the player being mind-controlled by the nemesis and then used in a bank heist is up in the air. Maybe the nemesis just wanted to get one last laugh at you before they set off their new WMD. *shrug again* The finale of the quest series is the player hero leading the Champions, and the proto-mentalist (who comes along to protect the player and everyone from psychic effects in case the nemesis has more of that trick of their sleeve), in a raid on the nemesis's hideout where they're building the doomsday device which ends in another duel between the player and their nemesis. Whether the nemesis gets jailed as a result of this mission or escapes to threaten the player and world again another day is up in the air. I haven't been able to think of any possible titles for this final quest in the series

So? Thoughts and opinions? Obviously this is still rough around the edges, but this is just an idea I had, and like I said at the beginning of this more-or-less essay, I think it would be super fun to have some kind of mission where the player is turned into a puppet of their nemesis for part of it.
  • Options
    My friend made a little mistake so they're retyping it all.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    > @megaskullmon said:
    > I am making this for someone else. Since they wish to give an idea for a nemesis quest.

Okay, I made one little screw up with an edit on the original post and ended up with a smiley face emoji instead of the idea I intended to share. So here it is all again, without the oops...

I'm still a relatively new player, having just started CO last October, but I've fallen in love with this game and can see myself playing it for a long time. I have to say that the nemesis system is one of the most unique systems I've ever seen in my 18 years of playing mmos, and it makes sense given the game's superhero-themed genre. After playing through some of the nemesis missions, I had an idea for a new nemesis mission set I think would be really fun.

What if there was a mission set where the player gets mind-controlled by their nemesis? How a quest like this would work as a team of players I'm not sure, but here's the general overview for both solo and team play:

EDIT 1/29: rinzler156 posted an idea below for this to be a 1-5 player, 5-mission set (preferably repeatable because this is vs nemesis) or even an adventure pack which I think would honestly be even better than what I originally posted. The player would be acting like themselves normally in the first and final mission, and if it were me, they would spend missions 2-4 under the effect of the nemesis’s mind control. The player hero gets taken captive and put under the mc at the end of the first mission, then gets rescued and freed from the mc at the end of the fourth mission. Spending several missions as your own nemesis’s mindless servant would make your victory over them at the end of the mission chain all the sweeter I think! If you’d like to see my original idea then read on. ^_^

This is a three mission set. If at any time the player has SOCRATES pull them back into the regular game world when inside one of the mission instances, the game treats it like leaving an adventure pack or comic adventure and saves your progress. To return to the instance, players can click on a "return to mission" button that is on the mission briefing in the player's mission log, or some other way to fast-return to the mission without having to travel all the way back to the hideout in part 1.

1. "Out of Ideas." How the player obtains this mission is up in the air, so for the purposes of just getting the idea out there we'll say it's obtained via an item dropped in a minion ambush like other nemesis missions are. The player learns that their nemesis is building another doomsday device (to replace the one that crapped out on them in the Westside nemesis mission). The goal of the quest is to stop that from happening. Going to the location, the mission is a standard hack-and-slash-and-blast their way into the compound, with a duel between the player and their nemesis at the end. But, when the nemesis is reduced to low health, say 20 or 25%, the trap is sprung (in a cutscene), and the player hero is blasted by a dozen or so mind-control devices all at once by nemesis minions who suddenly appear. These devices could be leftovers from the quest in Millennium City Center that has you looting them from members of PSI. With the player hero incapacitated by this heavy assault on their mind, the nemesis whips out their own mind-control device and this finally overwhelms the player hero. The mission auto-completes and the player is automatically given the next part.

*because of how this mission set is meant to work in terms of story, part 1 and 2 will be done back-to-back, unless someway can be found to enable the player to hold onto the quest and do it later. It's also possible 1 and 2 could be combined into a single mission*

2. "Whose Side Am I On?" Now under the mind-control, the nemesis tells the player they want to take a break from world-scale schemes and indulge themself in a good old-fashioned bank heist. The nemesis will lead the initial raid, but to have some fun with it by waiting to reveal the player hero's fate until when it would be the most shocking, the nemesis makes the player wait to be summoned (not an actual wait in real-life time, just for story purposes). We cut to the inside of a Millennium City bank. Whether this part is just a cutscene or there's some combat action in here is up in the air. If there is gameplay happening in the bank, the player could beat down security guards with the nemesis helping. *shrug* The nemesis makes someone open the vault.

The next part of this mission is a boss event outside the bank. This is where the nemesis takes the money and peaces out in their usual teleports-away fashion. The nemesis minions also retreat. In terms of story, someone in the crowd gathered behind the police barricade quickly realizes the player hero is under a powerful mind control. This someone is the proto-mentalist the player rescued from PSI during the City Center missions. (completing that questline shouldn't be required to be eligible for this mission set). The mentalist can attempt to break the mind control, but needs to maintain full concentration for it to have a chance. The task of keeping the player occupied falls to Defender, Witchcraft, and Kinetik who've also all arrived on scene hearing news about the player hero's involvement in this heist. Ironclad isn't there because he's off on Monster Island, and Sapphire isn't there because she's not even in-game save for specific mission events like the tutorial, Vibora Bay crisis, and a mission line in Vibora Bay.

**the whole point of this boss event is for the player to feel like a real super villain. You're supposed to stop those meddling heroes from interfering in your new boss's plans, lazy bones! Some kind of script would have to be in place to prevent the mission from progressing if the player isn't actively fighting against at least one of the Champions present in the story. Maybe the only way to progress the mission is to defeat each Champion, or at least two of them. The most important thing is that this event is a little more challenging than a regular mission Master/Super Villain, but not migraine-inducing when being done in solo play. If anyone has an idea on a good way to do this please share it!**

So after the boss event concludes, the proto-mentalist succeeds in breaking the player hero free of the mind-control and the player passes out (this is done in a cutscene, and is not counted as a defeat in gameplay) from the mental exhaustion of it all. The mission then auto completes.

*part 3 could be held onto in case the player doesn't want to finish the missions series immediately*

3. (I haven't been able to come up with a title for the finale) The player hero wakes up from their coma. Where they wake, and how long they were out for... maybe Mercy Hospital and a couple hours. *shrug* Anyway, the gist of the finale for this mission chain is that the player hero learns what happened. One of the nemesis minions that was captured by police during their retreat has revealed that the nemesis actually has been building another doomsday device and that it is almost complete. How this revelation ties into the player being turned into a mind-slave of the nemesis and then used in a bank heist is up in the air. Maybe the nemesis just wanted to get one last laugh at you before setting off their new WMD. *shrug* The mission finale is the player hero leading Defender, Witchcraft and Kinetik in a raid on the nemesis's hideout where they've been building the new doomsday device. The proto-mentalist who freed the player in part 2 of the mission series comes along as well to protect the player and everyone just in case the nemesis has more of the mental tricks of their sleeve. The player and company fight their way into the compound and the mission ends with another duel between the player and their nemesis, as well as the player retrieving all the money that was stolen from the bank. Whether the nemesis is jailed after the mission, or escapes to threaten the player and the world another day is up in the air.

Thoughts, everyone? Again this is just an attempt at the idea. Even if the specific idea above can't be made to work, I still think it would be really fun for there to be some kind of nemesis mission where the player hero gets mind-controlled by the nemesis, and then made to do their bidding as part of the mission series.
    Post edited by ptfiredance#7940 on
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Sounds neat. I like the idea of beating up Defender, Witchcraft, and Kinetic.​​
  • Options
    rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 103 Arc User
    I also enjoy the idea of beating up Defender, Witchcraft, and Kinetic. The idea of this nemesis mission is pretty nice in my opinion, could use a bit of fine-tuning just to make it better for the enjoyment of nemesis missions. The fact that this is a bit of a three parter mission makes me think of two things however.

1. It should be a 1-5 mission you could do with multiple people, and perhaps make it so that it's not just one nemesis, but all 5 of the player's nemesi(?). This also allows for developers to add in more content to the mission itself.
    2. It should be an adventure pack, and just add even more content and ideas to the missions, perhaps make it so that it's not just 3 missions, but 5 parts of a long mission.

Those two are just ideas but I think that'd also be really neat, it would make the experience of fighting your nemesis more worthwhile rather than just farming for Nemesis Recognition tokens. So I approve!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    > @rinzler156 said:
    > I also enjoy the idea of beating up Defender, Witchcraft, and Kinetic. The idea of this nemesis mission is pretty nice in my opinion, could use a bit of fine-tuning just to make it better for the enjoyment of nemesis missions. The fact that this is a bit of a three parter mission makes me think of two things however.
    >
    > 1. It should be a 1-5 mission you could do with multiple people, and perhaps make it so that it's not just one nemesis, but all 5 of the player's nemesi(?). This also allows for developers to add in more content to the mission itself.
    > 2. It should be an adventure pack, and just add even more content and ideas to the missions, perhaps make it so that it's not just 3 missions, but 5 parts of a long mission.
    >
    > Those two are just ideas but I think that'd also be really neat, it would make the experience of fighting your nemesis more worthwhile rather than just farming for Nemesis Recognition tokens. So I approve!

Hmm. The idea for it to be an adventure pack never crossed my mind. :o Interesting idea. How much of the ap would the player spend as their nemesis’s mind controlled minion? As long as they spend a good amount of time under the mind control (since that was the thought that sparked this whole idea in the first place!) I’m all for it being an adventure pack. :)

Since you mentioned it, I think your idea of a 5 mission series or even adventure pack would work better than what I posted originally. So what would the spread be? Obviously the first and last mission is the player hero normally, but how about 2-4? The player is under the nemesis mind control for 2 3, 3 4, or all three middle missions? If it was up to me it’d be all three. That way when you confront your nemesis in the final mission, victory will be all the sweeter! :D
    Post edited by ptfiredance#7940 on
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Now that I think about it... I really like the idea of beating up Sapphire... plz add.​​
  • Options
    > @spinnytop said:
    > Now that I think about it... I really like the idea of beating up Sapphire... plz add.​​

Maybe there is a way for that, especially if we go with rinzler's idea for this to be a 1-5 player, 5-mission chain or adventure pack. :)
  • Options
    Hmm well I do hope that something like this at least happens.
  • Options
    > @megaskullmon said:
    > Hmm well I do hope that something like this at least happens.

Me too. It just sounds so fun and would add more content to the nemesis system.