test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I had warned you, Cryptic. And its happening as I said it would.

When you started that new premium pack and not allowed any new subscriptions, I immediately called you out, Cryptic.

I asked, what happens to Gold members free form slots of people when their payment method for their subscription expired?

I got no answer to that very serious question, even in the FAQs for the new way to pay for the game's content didn't mention it. The community caught wind of this too after I and a few others asked that and the pressure of that question and many other things about the new system that the community poked holes in forced you all to suspend the idea and do a slow roll out of it instead. I knew what the answer was, and the rest of the community figured it out, even though you all never told us.

Gold members whose payment method expired for their subscription could no longer play their Free Form toons (unless they bought free form slots for them).

And now they are held hostage for $20 dollars worth of Zen each by you. Or having to buy an expensive Life time Subscription (to those of us who bought the retail copy, that's like buying the game twice and then some). This will force many veteran players who subscribe to play to quit the game and even now its not possible to get enough people to do both Cosmics and Event Giant Monsters in MC. Who wants to play archtypes when they were free form for years?

My friend cannot play her toons in my super group because her card expired. She hates having to roll and play Archtypes after playing freeform toons for years. Her old toons are held hostage by you because of your lack of foresight that I WARNED YOU ABOUT and I'm about to try to do a heroic thing by getting her boxes of Q for her to turn to zen. I know this is highly inefficient but I'm low on real money to help (plus I spent enough on your old game since the day the game came out in stores) but I am high on Globals to buy crates of Questionite and make decent Globals in the AH daily, enough to maybe buy one a day until I can help her unlock all her toons.

I was fortunate to save up some money from a tax return a couple years ago and buy the LTS while it was on sale, but my friend isn't so fortunate. What an awful thing to do to my good friend, Cryptic, and to others who paid to play your game and had made their super hero fantasies come true.

-F-Zero

Comments

• strongbeaustrongbeau Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I know there is something to replace subscriptions, I think, but being LTS, I can't seem to find it. She said she already claimed the premium pack when I told her where to find that.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Tell them to save their money, wait for the sale on Freeform slots or LTS. We all understand the situation these players are in but that's how it is, PWE want returning players to spend more money and this is their way of getting it..
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2019
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Your numbers are incorrect, strong. Also, you're casually confusing one-time payments with ongoing subscription payments. And we've pretty thoroughly hashed all this out already, so really you're - well, the forum censor doesn't like the usual term for this, so we'll just say you're engaging in excremental posting.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited January 2019
    Just a random thought... there was that bug that allowed people to basically be subbed for free. Wonder how many of these super angry people were using that, and they're actually just mad they can't do that anymore. I mean I know, it's always the OP's "friend" who is effected... but you know... that's a trope.​​
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
    I say we if able organize and stage a ban on their game, I could do it i left a while ago and could do it again. Just don't do any of the content or spend money on it for a year, we can still log on and talk and just not do anything in game or spend money. Yes i know will not happen but was worth a shot.
    Which would have the net effect of completely killing the game, and frightening off any potential other superhero games because clearly the fanbase to play them isn't there, so instead let's just make a nice, safe Generic Fantasy Game #42,875. Congratulations. Oh, and no, that's not going to make subs come back, because clearly they weren't generating enough money else they'd still be here.

I mean, if you dislike CO so much, please, by all means, go away and play something else. But kindly don't try to force us all to go just because you don't like the way things work now.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited February 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    Your numbers are incorrect, strong. Also, you're casually confusing one-time payments with ongoing subscription payments. And we've pretty thoroughly hashed all this out already, so really you're - well, the forum censor doesn't like the usual term for this, so we'll just say you're engaging in excremental posting.

Excremental posting, that's a good sanitized way to negatively categorize my post. I'll remember that term. In response, I'll say your post was unhelpful and not sympathetic to what's going on.

My understanding is that the subscription, while the card was active, kept charging the customer every few months or how they originally had it set up before the subscription change. My friend's card expired and so it can no longer charge her for the subscription, so she lost access to her Freeform toons. On the flipside, I believe it was originally mentioned there was a way to buy a monthly access through the Zen store through some Zen purchase. I thought the Premium pack was associated with it somehow. Doing research found me a new FAQ that mentions it now. I never saw it before from the first FAQs I read until I followed leuchadegoutiere's link. Thank you.

I admit that my numbers are wrong, I think you'd have to buy either two $20 dollar purchases to have enough Zen for the 3,000 zen purchase of a free form slot or the more efficient $50 dollar purchase of Zen.

spinnytop wrote: »
    Just a random thought... there was that bug that allowed people to basically be subbed for free. Wonder how many of these super angry people were using that, and they're actually just mad they can't do that anymore. I mean I know, it's always the OP's "friend" who is effected... but you know... that's a trope.​​

I'll have to ask her if she was one of those. I agree too that its a trope, but I did mention I'm a LTS member (if you believe me, that's up to you), and that she is part of my Supergroup and I'd love for her to have her toons back. Also, I've been around enough to be somewhat familiar in the community, I do go by @F-Zero in CO and Forever Zero in other games but I'd rather stand on my words and actions (poor as they may sometime be) than any fame (or infamy).

In the mean time, I'll not spend money, only my stipend and what I earn in game and try to help her that way.

Post edited by strongbeau on
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    Personal opinion here, but I think the premium pack would be so much better if it included a FF slot or two... With CO having switched from a monthly fee to this "premium pack" but still locking existing FF characters behind yet another pay wall, after having had paid for those FF characters is a disgusting move.
    strongbeau wrote: »
    My friend's card expired and so it can no longer charge her for the subscription, so she lost access to her Freeform toons.

Your friend should've thought ahead and gotten a new card in time to change the payment information on the subscription. I mean the expiration date is right there on the card, so it's not like this got them by surprise. Don't blame cryptic/pwe for your own lack of foresight.
    gameon wrote: »
    Personal opinion here, but I think the premium pack would be so much better if it included a FF slot or two...

Yes, and we suggested this and many variations of it incessantly. Me personally I think they should have added FF slots to Veteran rewards, so that long-time subbers would get some free slots. But, well, the time for that is past. To be honest though, I'm surprised at how little we actually see former subbers complain about this, I figured we would be seeing tons of people make threads like this. I guess most people are being reasonable about it and just working with the new way things are, or just quietly leaving the game. I know that event attendance at no point made it seem like we had lost a lot of players.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I say we if able organize and stage a ban on their game, I could do it i left a while ago and could do it again. Just don't do any of the content or spend money on it for a year, we can still log on and talk and just not do anything in game or spend money. Yes i know will not happen but was worth a shot.

I've been on this forum for 6-7 years and I think that, indisputably, you deserve this. I do hope that the reason why is so evident that I don't need to explain it (even though someone else already did).

rm6NDCh.jpg

Congrats!​​
    I don't agree with a mass ban or boycott by the community either. For me, its just personal. I just want to stick up for my SG mate (as a guild leader should) and my friend. A mass boycott would be the quickest way to end this undersupported game, old as it is. I don't think I really want that to happen. I've already put so much money into this game that I could have bought it for its original retail price more than 10 times over with years of subscribing, microtransactions, and then becoming LTS. I just don't need to support it any more.

I do agree with you, spinnytop about the card, I know I would have in my friend's place (or quit playing the game). The cool thing is she doesn't want to quit, she wants to continue and also make new toons (archtypes) for our SG again to replace the ones she doesn't have access to. Also I think that some of the reason you don't see many complaining is that either former subbers ignore this forum (easy to do if you are turned off by excremental posts ;) ) or just stop playing the game, but I won't deny there are some out there that will grit their teeth and bear it (like my friend seems to be doing).

Also, you might remember me, spinnytop, for doing Cosmics with you and giving you some praise with you constantly at the top of the leaderboard when I participated.
    Also, you might remember me, spinnytop, for doing Cosmics with you and giving you some praise with you constantly at the top of the leaderboard when I participated.

I don't ever remember anyone praising me for topping the scoreboard actually. In fact... I don't think I ever see anyone praising anyone for being at the top of the scoreboard... except me praising Vixen Mighty for doing that. >.> Was this a long time ago or something?​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    The thing is (and it was discussed to death back then) the removal of subs was not a decision made by the game devs (both of STO, CO and NW) but by the higher ups in PWI.

And they don't understand nor care about how the videogame works, they just understand how many 0s comes after the first digit next to the $ symbol.

Whatever the reasons might have been they decided that removing the sub system would actually increase those 0s and, from the looks of it, it did or at least it didn't modify the number of players in STO. In fact in STO the removal of subs wasn't met with such a backlash by the community and the alternatives they got there seemed to be satisfactory and well received.

However that's not the case in CO because the sub system was intimately related with accesability and character customization. The game devs tried to provide a solution to it but either lacked the time, the manpower or their higher ups didn't give them free reign on what alternatives to provide.

The ideal solution would have been to make an announcement saying " Day x/x/2018 we are removing the sub system. Everyone with a current sub in place as of the day of this announcement will get to keep the FF characters he currently has. Further FF slots will have to be purchased. Players whose sub has relapsed as of the day of this announcement will have to turn their FF into ATs or purchase a FF slot to convert them. Every sub gets free Premium Pack", but again, that's not what happened wether to a lack of time, manpower or greenlight by higher ups.​​
    edited February 2019

I don't ever remember anyone praising me for topping the scoreboard actually. In fact... I don't think I ever see anyone praising anyone for being at the top of the scoreboard... except me praising Vixen Mighty for doing that. >.> Was this a long time ago or something?​​

About a year ago when you were doing cosmics on that character in your signature. It was late winter/early spring, I believe. Your toon was unmistakable. It is possible it could have been another player playing a Magical Girl type super hero at that time and being on top of the leader boards, but I doubt it. And this was before Vixen Mighty was around, months before. It was around the time my friend Icebella was on the rise in cosmic fights and I often accompanied her to them when I could.
    lezard21 wrote: »
    The thing is (and it was discussed to death back then) the removal of subs was not a decision made by the game devs (both of STO, CO and NW) but by the higher ups in PWI.

And they don't understand nor care about how the videogame works, they just understand how many 0s comes after the first digit next to the $ symbol.

Whatever the reasons might have been they decided that removing the sub system would actually increase those 0s and, from the looks of it, it did or at least it didn't modify the number of players in STO. In fact in STO the removal of subs wasn't met with such a backlash by the community and the alternatives they got there seemed to be satisfactory and well received.

However that's not the case in CO because the sub system was intimately related with accesability and character customization. The game devs tried to provide a solution to it but either lacked the time, the manpower or their higher ups didn't give them free reign on what alternatives to provide.

The ideal solution would have been to make an announcement saying " Day x/x/2018 we are removing the sub system. Everyone with a current sub in place as of the day of this announcement will get to keep the FF characters he currently has. Further FF slots will have to be purchased. Players whose sub has relapsed as of the day of this announcement will have to turn their FF into ATs or purchase a FF slot to convert them. Every sub gets free Premium Pack", but again, that's not what happened wether to a lack of time, manpower or greenlight by higher ups.​​

Thank you lezard, that was enlightening.
    It feeds into my fears as well that the game is too undersupported.

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

Why is this a fear? This has been a fact since like...On Alert?

CO lacks a meaty dev team, that does not take away from the great work that the current Development team do, but with more developers, CO could be better supported, but CO has had a "history" of surviving despite the odds...

Maybe someone should make a Cosmic Tank called "Champions Online"...
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Heh, I read up on how the sub system in this game works before playing it. I play STO and some things work the same some don't. Either way, the monthly sub option was never a good idea for long term. My one regret with LTS in STO was not getting it sooner. I was like "I'll try this and see if I like it" realized several months later that I'd waited a few more months than I should have. In CO I simply never did monthly at all. I waited until I could get LTS and went with that.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Why is this a fear? This has been a fact since like...On Alert?

CO lacks a meaty dev team, that does not take away from the great work that the current Development team do, but with more developers, CO could be better supported, but CO has had a "history" of surviving despite the odds...

Maybe someone should make a Cosmic Tank called "Champions Online"...

Its a fear like the fear of a nuclear weapon (for lack of a less powerful example). They've been around forever, but you still fear them.
    To make sense of my analogy, for me, the fear of the closure of the game due to it becoming broken and too expensive to fix/support new hardware and drivers as it gets too old, or reasons such as lack of income vs. operation expense is similar (but no where near equal) to my fear of nuclear war pre 1989 when many people thought the end of the world by nuclear exchange was inevitable. That changed, but the weapons still exist and so does the fear of their impact. I fear the end of the game on a much smaller but similar level having lived through the end of City of Heroes and how painful that was. Hopefully the game keeps going and hopefully in the future, everyone associated with running this game treats their customers better.
    It's like when you get a game 2 years late and you're really excited to talk about it but everyone else has moved on. Like you may have just realized that the dev office is full of nuclear weapons, but most people have already known that for years, and in fact they've been denuclearizing lately. So like... yeah.​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Heh, I read up on how the sub system in this game works before playing it. I play STO and some things work the same some don't. Either way, the monthly sub option was never a good idea for long term. My one regret with LTS in STO was not getting it sooner. I was like "I'll try this and see if I like it" realized several months later that I'd waited a few more months than I should have. In CO I simply never did monthly at all. I waited until I could get LTS and went with that.

Well that's fine but you know this how? Do you have access to all of their financial statements and can tell how much of an expense vs revenue each year subs were?

Don't get me wrong, I too have decided long ago a LTS was worth it(on and off subbing for me was an inconvenience, not so much a financial expense as it was a time issue), but I see people making this claim of "subs were a bad idea for a long time/I knew this" when no one before subs were taken away said pretty much anything.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    It's nothing new that subscription based models have been vanishing in the industry, and things vanish because the customers just aren't into them anymore. I mean let's be real, there aren't very many people who are thinking of playing a game and then deciding not to because it doesn't offer some sort of sub system. People have no particular love for sub systems, and a lot of people think it's kind of ridiculous. I remember in one of these debates about the sub removal someone actually claimed CO would have trouble getting new players because subs were gone...and I mean that's just a bizarre claim to make. The reason the sub removal was bad wasn't because they removed subs, it's because they didn't have a better way for former subbers to more smoothly transition to being non-subbers. The removing subs part was great.

And no, nobody has access to the financial documents. However we can make a few simple observations. For one, absolutely zero hint of reversing course on it. Couple that with development continuing as it was before, and it seems that whatever effect the change had financially wasn't significant in either direction. As far as population, nothing changed as far as event participation, and I didn't notice any key players disappear. Maybe we lost a bunch of RPers or PvPers but I wouldn't know about that, and I'm not sure why that's where the majority of subbers would have been.

My best guess is that of the subbers we did have, they either didn't have many toons or didn't have many toons they were particularly invested in, so a lot of them probably just shrugged their shoulders and bought a FF slot or three and kept on playing with the intent to use what would have been sub money to grab FF slots. Basically I think there are a lot more Jonsills in the game than there are strongbeaus.​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User

Really? I see it plenty. I mean, not so much these days because nobody cares about scoreboards, as much. But, yeah, I've seen it.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    Basically I think there are a lot more Jonsills in the game than there are strongbeaus.​​

That's too bad, I hope not. More people need to stick up for their friends and try to help. To be honest, I've seen more of that in my time in this game and CoH (Virtue Server) and in this thread, than not helping. But you could be right, the majority who don't care might be silent.

Basically I think there are a lot more Jonsills in the game than there are strongbeaus.​​
    Point of order - while I don't disagree with what you're getting at, I subbed a couple of years back. I like to play a variety of toons, depending on the sort of trouble I want to get into on a given day (do I feel like punching things out? Bulwark. Do I want to make things die for daring to be nearby? Pyretta Blaze or Short Circuit. Do I want to sneak around and wipe out enemies before they even know I'm there? Moonwing. And so forth).

edited February 2019
    Yeah but from what I've seen you say, I doubt we'd be seeing you make a big fuss about it ( any more than we all did at the time the change was in progress ). Certainly no melodramatic "I WARNED YOU" threads o_O
    But you could be right, the majority who don't care might be silent.

Not what I meant, but okay u3u​​