test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STARS - Let's talk about that change!

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited January 2019 in Champions Online Discussion
So stars were pretty much meaningless before and they still are. I don't really care about the change, it doesn't really matter to me. I can just discard stars if they clutter my inventory too much or whatever. Doesn't matter.

That's a problem though because the reason given for the change was that it was meant to make us care about stars, and use them instead of hoarding them. So in regard to the reason given, the change completely failed. I still don't really care about stars, aaaaaaand....lets look at a character's stars ever since this change:
P1O9zUG.jpg
I'm dumping them in my bank, since my characters' banks are generally empty. So where before I just let them collect in a single inventory slot, now I am actively going to the bank to dump my stars. I'm more of a star hoarder than I was before! This is because the problem that causes stars to pile up still exists: I get them faster than I can use them. The problem was never that I didn't use my stars. In fact I popped those things like they come out of a bottomless PEZ dispenser... because effectively they do, they're a resource that gets restocked faster than I can use it. This would hold true even if they made it so you can only ever have 1 stack of 20 on a character ever by preventing us from dumping them in our bank and somehow making the stack unique. That stack would just be at 20 nearly all of the time because it would rise back to that number faster than I could make it fall.

Ya dun goofed and made me into some crazy star hoarder o3o​ why you do this​

PS - I know I already largely made this argument in the PTS thread, but I wanted to include this screen shot as an example of the actual effect of this change vs the intended effect.​​
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• Options
    bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    The only change for me so far is that I sell excess stacks to the vendor, rather than building up big mega stacks in my bank. So I guess they're marginally more valuable to me now, since I get a small amount of resources from them?
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The big problem is having it cause your existing stacks to explode if you touch them wrong; I don't need 49 stacks of 20 stars and one stack of 19 stars to suddenly materialize in my inventory. However, I'd rather have the stars in loot drops replaced with auto-consume stars, since that way they don't build up and I don't need to ever think about them again.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    The big problem is having it cause your existing stacks to explode if you touch them wrong; I don't need 49 stacks of 20 stars and one stack of 19 stars to suddenly materialize in my inventory.

Just now I took a stack of 300 stars and split off a stack of 37. It didn't even try to explode into stacks of 20 so I don't think that's gonna happen with our old stacks. I just wasn't able to merge that 37 back into the big lump afterwards.​​
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    The big problem is having it cause your existing stacks to explode if you touch them wrong; I don't need 49 stacks of 20 stars and one stack of 19 stars to suddenly materialize in my inventory.

Just now I took a stack of 300 stars and split off a stack of 37. It didn't even try to explode into stacks of 20 so I don't think that's gonna happen with our old stacks.
    People have been reporting it happening. I'm not sure of the trigger as it hasn't happened to me.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I guess I'm happy they can be sold, now. Other than that, I can't possibly see what the issue was with hoarding them. I was less hoarding and more completely ignoring.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    VIP Room. Get some free Stars.
    FTW.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    hemslordhemslord Posts: 164 Arc User
    They needed to change the properties of the stars as opposed to simply reducing the max stack limit (which I still can't quite understand the logic behind) if they wanted us to care about them. I saw somebody (may have been yourself Spinny) mention that the star could apply timed buff upon consumption which piqued my interest.

At this point, the stars are effectively another form of, pretty useless, currency. I'd be happy enough if they simply got rid of the "5 Star" system and converted the stars into "Hero Recognition". It's unlikely that the devs would add a new vendor with new devices/costumes/consumables etc, so this could be a sort of universal recognition if you are a short of few until/scr/gcr.
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    LOL there was a star change? No seriously, that's how much I don't pay attention to them. Good now that I can just vendor them.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    If one of those kits from the event pops a star into your inv, and your main bag isn't full, it will explode your stacks. This may be true for picking up the ones that cosmics drop as well.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    IMO, they should just get rid of the star system altogether. It makes no real sense to me really.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    The hoarder in me feels upset since stars will take up even more valuable inventory space... but I suppose selling the spares may just net me a little extra pocket change. Eh, it just means more inventory management I guess.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!