test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So You Want to Fight Eidolon?

pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
edited January 2019 in Missions and Content
Since there was a big discussion of this in game tonight, I figured I would help out by creating another guide, kind of a meta-guide. This one will include the steps you need to take in order to be regularly invited to the currently organized Eidolon runs. I am going to keep this simple, and mostly just reference the resources available.

1) Learn how to create an effective build.
Resources: There are numerous guides on this forum with great builds (example, other example . There are plenty of people in-game who are happy to give advice and coaching. There is Discord for CO where you can discuss idea outside of game (example). There is the online HeroCreator where you can put together test builds. Then you can link that build in this forum, in-game, or in Discord, and have people take a look at it for comment.

2) Learn the basics of the fights.
Resources: Guides on the forum (example, lots of good videos and commentary in this thread. People in game. Discord. Even without training in the fight, you can learn the basic mechanics.

Once you have gotten the above two done, move on to:

3) Politely ask one of the Eido regulars if they would invite you when a run happens. Shouting at the Eido regulars that they are elitist jerks who are required to carry lazy players is definitely not going to get you an invite. I cannot reiterate this strongly enough.

4) And this one is VERY important: when you do get an invite, do not announce to the world that you are going. That will get you uninvited quicker than anything. Again, I cannot stress this enough. If the regulars even suspect that you might blab, you are probably not going to be invited.

Now, once you are there, here are the important guidelines for continuing to be invited:

5) LISTEN TO DIRECTIONS. LISTEN TO DIRECTIONS. LISTEN TO DIRECTIONS. LISTEN TO DIRECTIONS. LISTEN TO DIRECTIONS.
If you cannot or do not want to listen to and follow direction, then Eido is not for you.

6) And lastly, while you are joining in the fun, do not be a jerk. No name calling. No blaming. No whining. One thing that distinguishes these fights from any of the others is that you never (very rarely) hear any of that happen. Even when failing, they tend to be good humored and snarky in a funny way.

OR
The other option is to just blow off all the above and organize your own Eido run! Also cool!
- - - - -
SIGNATURE:
Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    100% accurate.

To add to this, in case you have no idea who the Eido regulars are, which is likely because we kinda try to keep that secret for obvious reasons, then simply saying at any cosmic "Uh hey... can a Eido person send me a tell?" is a functional way to get in contact with one.

Also, to address people who feel they don't have to do this and that the Eido people should just publicly announce their runs, consider this. Every time we do that, the run fails. We fight Eido for an hour, and walk away with nothing, and the "public" people that show up complain about how unfair and BS they feel Eido is. So, if you get your way and we start publicly announcing, you're not going to get what you're fantasizing about. What you're going to get is failed Eido runs, over and over. Just keep in mind that that is what you are actually demanding when you demand public runs - you are demanding the right to waste an hour of your time, and you don't need Eido for that, you can just go stand in a corner and stare at the wall for an hour and get functionally the same thing you're asking for. And no, this isn't just an opinion or a theory - this has been proven because there was a time where we did publicly announce Eido runs, and it was failure after failure because people who weren't willing to pull their own weight showed up.

So, if you are willing to put some effort into contributing, then do that. I guarantee you that you will be able to get into the cool kids club if you do. If you do it really well, you might even get invited without having to ask first.

If you're not willing to put the effort in, then just forget about Eido, it will only ever be a waste of time for you.​​
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    100% accurate, the first two posts. Think of Eido as the final boss of the game. You prepare for any final boss, in any game. This is no different. And these are the specific prep steps.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    List of Eido regulars?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I'm afraid to say, but I guess
    2qlnyn.jpg
    Post edited by monaahiru on
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    List of Eido regulars?

Well now that you've asked, they'll be watching you o3o and parsing you *spooky ghost music*​​
    Btw just to mention it, the fact that we have to keep the runs secret has recently been reinforced because randos have somehow been showing up and guaranteeing failure. Sort of just backs up what I said... sneak in, and all you're sneaking in to is an hour of wasted time u3u​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    List of Eido regulars?

Nope. That's part of the test. Although, as a hint, I'll say, after a Cosmic, look up. (Probably too much of a hint.)
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Hello Exclusive club, this is rather disheartening anticipation of the game play ever since coming to pass like when QWZ was added, instead of encouraging team ups in general, it seems to have encouraged even more division of weaker vs stronger builds/players/people, much like in this indoctrinated world benefiting the financially wealthy to those that are not, the complacent finding ways to become even more so while dismissing others for personal gain, now how is this relevant to Eidolon?

It's exactly what you're doing in principal, dividing, criticizing, ostracizing, I mean I understand their is a expectation for a level of efficiency because of the encounter but my hopes is for those that have the benefit of playing at the prime time runs can still be included, then being at the mercy of variables like myself, maybe can play it again someday, been over a year since I have, anyways, as long as you get what you want right? we all have choices to make. :disappointed:
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Where did test come from? Not mentioned above:

"3) Politely ask one of the Eido regulars if they would invite you when a run happens. Shouting at the Eido regulars that they are elitist jerks who are required to carry lazy players is definitely not going to get you an invite. I cannot reiterate this strongly enough."
    List of Eido regulars?

Nope. That's part of the test. Although, as a hint, I'll say, after a Cosmic, look up. (Probably too much of a hint.)

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited January 2019
    rtma wrote: »
    Hello Exclusive club, this is rather disheartening anticipation of the game play ever since coming to pass like when QWZ was added, instead of encouraging team ups in general, it seems to have encouraged even more division of weaker vs stronger builds/players/people, much like in this indoctrinated world benefiting the financially wealthy to those that are not, the complacent finding ways to become even more so while dismissing others for personal gain, now how is this relevant to Eidolon?

It's exactly what you're doing in principal, dividing, criticizing, ostracizing, I mean I understand their is a expectation for a level of efficiency because of the encounter but my hopes is for those that have the benefit of playing at the prime time runs can still be included, then being at the mercy of variables like myself, maybe can play it again someday, been over a year since I have, anyways, as long as you get what you want right? we all have choices to make. :disappointed:

Well no, because the goal is to get people who want to do Eido into the channel. The goal isn't to exclude people, but to have a channel that can actually organize successful runs. There used to be public runs, and those failed horribly. I used to be a huge advocate of public runs, but the community proved me wrong on that. Eventually you just have to give in to reality on these things.

Keep in mind that this channel does absolutely nothing to prevent anyone else from doing Eido. If you want to start up some public Eido runs, go for it, we'll very likely show up to help. We want Eido to be a public thing that can just be casually called together and completed - it's just that so far the community has proven that to not be viable.

Eido has a 1 hour cooldown, so that's 24 Eidos per day that you can use to show that public runs are possible. Just hasn't happened yet.​​
    edited January 2019
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Well no, because the goal is to get people who want to do Eido into the channel. The goal isn't to exclude people, but to have a channel that can actually organize successful runs. There used to be public runs, and those failed horribly. I used to be a huge advocate of public runs, but the community proved me wrong on that. Eventually you just have to give in to reality on these things.

Keep in mind that this channel does absolutely nothing to prevent anyone else from doing Eido. If you want to start up some public Eido runs, go for it, we'll very likely show up to help. We want Eido to be a public thing that can just be casually called together and completed - it's just that so far the community has proven that to not be viable.

Eido has a 1 hour cooldown, so that's 24 Eidos per day that you can use to show that public runs are possible. Just hasn't happened yet.​​

Is it because I wasn't there?

c6l095n.jpg

Well that sounds like a noble cause, lets hope it can be a cosmic constant one day like the other 3, more fun to be had, more to play, am I right? :3

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    Well that sounds like a noble cause, lets hope it can be a cosmic constant one day like the other 3, more fun to be had, more to play, am I right? :3

At the moment, no, you're wrong. But we'll all happily see that change since successful public runs will likely be faster since they'll fill up faster. Main issue at the moment is that Eido involves a lot of standing around waiting, which is the lesser of two evils when compared to an hour of effort to just end up failing.​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

"3) Politely ask one of the Eido regulars if they would invite you when a run happens. Shouting at the Eido regulars that they are elitist jerks who are required to carry lazy players is definitely not going to get you an invite. I cannot reiterate this strongly enough."
    List of Eido regulars?

I generally show up whenever I have time to any Eido runs going down, no knowledge of a "exclusive club" :lol:. No one's going to stop me, plus, as long as you're not acting an ****, no one notices. And of course for those who are upset at this even being a thing, remember; One, there are other cosmics/TA. Two, not take it so seriously. So what there's a club? Hell I'm hardly on enough to even be invited to a simple casual SG, let alone a dedicated club :scream: but I never have an issue getting the SCR I want for a toon or whatever else, so I hardly care. If anything it's funny.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Where did test come from?
    The essential requirement for being welcome is a demonstrated ability to be helpful. This is not all that demanding, the requirements for most people are 'decent dps' and 'can actually follow the rules of the fight'.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I'm still appalled that some peeps still do not listen. It's not that hard, but they do it anyway. And they have the gall to label helpful veterans "elitist jerks"... They're trying to ensure a successful run and not waste an 1hr+ just to fail.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    e: what the heck forum why is my post last now o3o​​
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I don't understand why people are angry at Eidolon regulars

I mean Eidolon of Destruction is the FINAL BOSS of the game, both in lore and game mechanics, additional he is EXTRA difficult due to his bugged orbs and state of Zen
    Shadow Destroyer, the Boss the game has been telling you about through all the missions in zones and lore turned into a Qliphothic God (or something)

He is not meant to be easy, he requires strategy and using everything you have learned so far
    Strategy requires Organization
    Organization requires people knowing the rules, in the right roles and right places
    And I geared up myself to contribute and fulfill my role in the fight

Is it so unrealistic to expect people to meet those requirements? in a MMO?

Eidolon is the closest thing we have compared to Final Fantasy XIV Epic Bosses and DEVs to go up to eleven using environmental puzzles to avoid making the boss yet another Tank and Spank​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    I haven't met any "Eidolon regulars" who turn away someone interested in attending and learning about how to be successful in this encounter.

You just can't show up expecting to have a successful run IF you don't pay attention to those (true gaming) heroes who call out what you should be doing and when.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited January 2019
    Welp, I don't want to see a people who are still not learning how to F&I, Cybermind, StE, or Ape, Dino, Kiga in a right way at Eido fight. Eidolon is simply just total of everything with few plus alpha.

I rarely see a someone who is just stand by MT blocking, with block power / devices that deal damages when damage applied, such like we can see at dino fight sometime.
    Even if it is able to leech at dino, it won't work in Eido because its so automatic fail wasting for over an 1h. Or even lucky happen, I think such way doesn't reach to get enough score to get any credits.

But I'm welcome for the people who want to learn and train. o3o
    edited January 2019
    Btw we're doing public training runs now, so anyone who is mad that they're being excluded, now all you have to do is show up when they're announced. Will they be successful? Eventually perhaps. Just put in the effort, learn good, and help prove that public runs can be a thing. We're all rootin' for ya!​​

You COMPLETELY missed the point of the post. Also, aren't you an Eido regular?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:

List of Eido regulars?

Okay, here's another hint to everyone out there, Jaaz is one of those Eido regulars. So be sure to spam his Tells if you want to get in the group.

- - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    ~*flames*~
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    edited January 2019

List of Eido regulars?

Okay, here's another hint to everyone out there, Jaaz is one of those Eido regulars. So be sure to spam his Tells if you want to get in the group.

Oooor! Show up. Seriously all you need to do is show up/have read an Eido guide. That's it.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited January 2019

This is more of a expression of concern of the potential extremes this could transpire, we get enough of this division in world scenarios, Dislike the idea to manifest in-game on behalf of those hopefuls as well, do you understand my intentions now? in regards to being a regular, The circumstances like time zones don't offer that opportunity, I have only played Eidolon about a dozen times since it was released, last time I got to play was about October 2017, so no, I'm not a regular.

edited January 2019
    rtma, you're taking it way too dramatically. Over in WoW there are millions of people doing this everyday. It's called a guild. This happens in every MMO. You make it sound like people are engaging in apartheid, when really they're just organizing a group to take down an MMO boss. There's nothing wrong with them deciding who gets to be part of that group, and it's fine that not everybody is invited. EIdo has a 1 hour cooldown, that means there's 24 potential Eidos in a day ( more if another zone pops ), enough for every group to have a turn. Plus the zone has a limit of 30 people, we couldn't invite everyone even if we wanted to ;)​​
    in regards to being a regular, The circumstances like time zones don't offer that opportunity
    That's far more of a limitation than people being exclusive, because you will never get an invite to an event that isn't actually happening. Off-peak attempts to do Eido fail.
  • So, git gud, and no drama. This is good advice for pretty much everything in life... Yet so few ever grasp it.
    My native language is not English but I am still doing somehow with nice Eidolon people helping me desu~. o3o
    edited January 2019
    So, we had an impromptu eido at 11pm server, was announced publicly. Mostly experienced players, but at least some new. Worked fine (surprising how many top dps were on at 11 pm server time on a Tuesday night...).
    edited January 2019
    It was a lot of fun, thanks for setting that one up! I noticed about 5 or 6 names in the parse that are not at the normal Eido HQ runs so quite a few people were able to hop in that don’t normally get a chance!
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
    edited January 2019
    See rtma? The very people you accuse of dividing us are the ones bringing us together! O3O)9

Like the other day when I randomly started up an eido training run where we invited TEG, and several people from the private channel were very enthusiastic about helping to make it happen!

Some people were... less than excited about it u3u but they'll come around once the public runs start doing well.
    ​​
    So, git gud, and no drama. This is good advice for pretty much everything in life... Yet so few ever grasp it.

Hmp, lol, that's true!
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:

This is more of a expression of concern of the potential extremes this could transpire, we get enough of this division in world scenarios, Dislike the idea to manifest in-game on behalf of those hopefuls as well, do you understand my intentions now? in regards to being a regular, The circumstances like time zones don't offer that opportunity, I have only played Eidolon about a dozen times since it was released, last time I got to play was about October 2017, so no, I'm not a regular.

I dunno, rtma, you can gripe about me trying to be more inclusive, or you could actually help be more inclusive. So, whatever totes your boat.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    I actually dropped the Eido HQ channel recently. One of the admins kept spamming audio clips of someone into my SGs discord until we had to ban them and sending me insanely rude pms. Best of luck to the channel!
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
    I actually dropped the Eido HQ channel recently. One of the admins kept spamming audio clips of someone into my SGs discord until we had to ban them and sending me insanely rude pms. Best of luck to the channel!

Yeah, chasing good players out of the channel with rude behavior. That sounds smart!​​
  • poptartmaniac#8493 poptartmaniac Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I don't actually have an issue with private eido runs, as I know how hard it can be and how demanding it is of capable people,
    and such is end game content, and I do agree that people should get the ropes of the other stuff and fix their build before even bothering with eido. The issue is, some of the members in the private channels (Not all of them, not most), actually choose to not invite people into it simply because they don't like them, have a beef with them, or some selfish reason or another, excluding certain people who are more than capable and don't have a history of trolling runs, when it's supposed to be about making runs go smoothly no? Not to mention some of the members (Even admins of said channel) go out of their way to troll and stop other people's eido runs, for whatever reason, not sure why, either to get the map to themselves again, or just being toxic.

and I'm pretty sure that's what the "huge" discussion everyone's talking about, was about.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User

I dunno, rtma, you can gripe about me trying to be more inclusive, or you could actually help be more inclusive. So, whatever totes your boat.

Wait...you mean we can actually do something about our problems instead of just complaining about them and placing the blame on someone else?

img-brain-universe.jpg​​
    edited January 2019
    I don't actually have an issue with private eido runs, as I know how hard it can be and how demanding it is of capable people,
    and such is end game content, and I do agree that people should get the ropes of the other stuff and fix their build before even bothering with eido. The issue is, some of the members in the private channels (Not all of them, not most), actually choose to not invite people into it simply because they don't like them, have a beef with them, or some selfish reason or another, excluding certain people who are more than capable and don't have a history of trolling runs, when it's supposed to be about making runs go smoothly no? Not to mention some of the members (Even admins of said channel) go out of their way to troll and stop other people's eido runs, for whatever reason, not sure why, either to get the map to themselves again, or just being toxic.

and I'm pretty sure that's what the "huge" discussion everyone's talking about, was about.
    Sure, there are rude people everywhere. But that is really easy to get around. As you said, most of the members are not like that. So, just ask the nice people for an invite.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    edited January 2019

Sure, there are rude people everywhere. But that is really easy to get around. As you said, most of the members are not like that. So, just ask the nice people for an invite.

I actually did, and the bad people either banned me or said no, so I coudn't get in in the first place. Mainly cuz some of them are admins of these channels. This has happened to others as well. And this was all before the huge drama/discussion in the public chats about it.
    Without addressing the merits (I don't know who you are in game, and I might not know you at all), personal conflicts are in fact a perfectly justifiable reason to exclude someone from a private channel, and other than 'organize your own runs' there's not too much to be done about it (Eido HQ is probably imploding anyway, details not relevant here. There have been a few recent Eidos that were announced publicly).
    edited January 2019
    Without addressing the merits (I don't know who you are in game, and I might not know you at all), personal conflicts are in fact a perfectly justifiable reason to exclude someone from a private channel, and other than 'organize your own runs' there's not too much to be done about it (Eido HQ is probably imploding anyway, details not relevant here. There have been a few recent Eidos that were announced publicly).

Oh okay so because some random troll or toxic player who happens to be admin or just in the channel doesn't like a person either because they beat them in pvp, or beat they're score in a cosmic they were in or whatever meaningless reason you can think of for someone not liking someone else in a video game when they haven't really done anything wrong, they can't get in, so basically you should have just said that from the start, I thought it was a channel to organize eido not a social party, thanks for the answer.

As for the organize your own runs part, people tried that, and people from x private channel trolled and griefed the runs. so that they could gain control of the zone again. or whatever reason. I mean didn't the leader of the channel themselves leave because their members and admins were being toxic and biased, and the channel is now an extension to a toxic supergroup? Many people left too over being harassed. Unless this forum post is about a whole new channel and not Eido HQ. Then forgive me for the misunderstanding.
    edited January 2019

So basically, because someone in the channel doesn't like someone for whatever meaningless reason you can think of, like being beaten in pvp, or being outscored in pve, or just some members being toxic and/or biased, 'Capable' people can't get into the channel, people who don't troll, and are known to either be good at eido runs or even be good at organizing it and leading it,
    I thought this was a channel about making eido runs not a social party, thanks for the answer.

As for the make your own runs part, people tried, and members from that channel went and griefed/trolled the runs, preventing people from completing, to get the zone back to themselves or whatever reason, I don't know.
    Didn't the leader themselves leave or stand up against the toxicness and bias in the channel? Maybe the problem is this channel is an extention to a known troll SG of people who have been kicked out of several other supergroups for being toxic or whatever other reasons. WIth additional members from outside the SG, as you said the channel is imploding.
    I mean, it's an open mission. Not like anyone can block anyone from being there, barring zone caps (but those affect everyone). Like you said, there are only a few actual jackasses, so it should not be hard to find one of the nicer Eido runners, make friends with them, and ask them to invite you to runs. As long as you aren't hindering the run, the majority of people aren't going to care at all.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • When I log in, I open up the search for people, window and type in "Canad" then "monst" then "warz".... This never ever fails to tell me what cosmics are currently happening... No channel needed. The only real reason to be in the channel is because you want to be in the channel.
    I thought this was a channel about making eido runs not a social party, thanks for the answer.
    It's not my channel at all, I don't even have admin privileges. However, everything on an MMO is a social party.
    As for the make your own runs part, people tried, and members from that channel went and griefed/trolled the runs
    Never seen this happen though there's plenty of things I haven't seen, and I've organized runs on multiple channels. Adding non-veterans significantly increases the odds of failing for reasons entirely unrelated to trolling.