test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Build points per level?

So I've been trying to translate characters I've created in CO into Champions Tabletop, specifically 5th edition Hero System. But the online game uses a leveling mechanic unlike the tabletop game with is point based. So is there a translation rule? Any suggestions?

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Several years ago, before Hero Games suffered its downsizing, there had been plans by the company to publish a translation matrix between Hero System and CO. But with resources dwindling it became a low priority. At this point it's extremely unlikely to ever happen.

Given the fundamental structural and mechanical differences between the two games, any matrix could only have been a rough approximation at best. Enough to get someone in the ballpark, perhaps, but still requiring a lot of tuning. That's been true even for conversions between Hero System and other tabletop RPGs.
  • synthozoicsynthozoic Posts: 61 Arc User
    Okay, I'll wing it then. I was just checking.
  • cptpatriotcptpatriot Posts: 6 Arc User
    This game does not make it easy to do a translation like that, but consider the threats you've faced in the progression of the game.

Not including the tutorial, at level 6 you are fighting street level stuff, mainly gang members then moving up to your first 3 health bar threat with Weylan Talos. You reach level 10 about after facing off against Kevin Poe. From there, you are working larger threats to a section of the city with the prison break and a mounting escalation of hostilities in Westside.

You are gaining large improvements in power and ability and by level 14 - 17 you have generally enough powers to hold your own as a normal hero being about 350 points worth. Beyond that, the scale kinda breaks down with the wide change in locations and more exotic threats.
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    I'd suggest 50 to 100 point increments every 10 levels. It's not 100% accurate, but should be close enough. Also consider having some sort of "cap" inherent in the game for stats and powers. For instance, 500+ STR in CO still won't let you push buildings down but PNP Hero System, 100 STR can lift 25 Kilotons, throwing buses casually.
  • bricedaurybricedaury Posts: 14 Arc User
    I would convert them much the same way I used to convert CoH characters to PnP Champions- 250 points for starting characters with +10 character points per Game level until at level 40 you are roughly 640+ characters, which can be significantly powerful with the right builds. Hope that helps as a suggestion.
  • bricedaurybricedaury Posts: 14 Arc User
    PS: I should add that the above formula is used with 5th Edition rules as I fundamentally disagree with the design changes made to the rules in 6th edition, although there are a few nice things in it (Damage Negation? Bout time!)