test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Joining CO after years of STO...

crm14916crm14916 Posts: 7 Arc User
Hello all...

Long time player of STO here (since like February of 2011, I think that was when LoR was released). Recently asked my wife if I could add another game to my collection. She said yes, and I chose CO as it's play is very similar...

Anyway, just saying "hi" and asking if there are things I need to know before I get really far into this game and learn lessons the hard way.

Thanks all! Have fun and play hard!
sto-sig-pic.png

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    That’s not an easy question. But welcome.

Just ask as you go.
  • crm14916crm14916 Posts: 7 Arc User
    Thank you for your reply :)

As it turns out, beginning players are stuck out of most chat options, unless there’s a great CO chat channel (similar to the NoP for STO) that a starting player can join. I’ve tried joining zone chat, and receive a message telling me beginning accounts are blocked. No one responds to my questions in Local chat...

Anyway, I just barely discovered the Collections officer to turn in items I get as loot drops, and that has helped... :)

Any advice picked up along the way will be appreciated... in the mean time, if you see a white-haired guy dressed in green tights named Gabriel, please say “hi”... I’m a friendly guy... :)

Thanks!
    CM
    sto-sig-pic.png
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Welcome aboard... the chat issues you are having should clear up around lvl 10 or so.... it is a dumb thing they do to try and eliminate spammer accounts(and it mostly works!) Anyhow until that clears up feel free tp direct any questions you have about the game this way... or you know whenever after that... we're mostly helpful around here...

• sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Hello all...

Long time player of STO here (since like February of 2011, I think that was when LoR was released). Recently asked my wife if I could add another game to my collection. She said yes, and I chose CO as it's play is very similar...

Anyway, just saying "hi" and asking if there are things I need to know before I get really far into this game and learn lessons the hard way.

Thanks all! Have fun and play hard!

Well as we used to say in the USN Welcome Aboard 07.

If you see me in game (Saber Lynx in my main) feel free to PM or add me as a friend, I am still learning the game myself but I will help you anyway I can.
    Thanks all! Having fun so far! Looking forward to moving thru the game and making friends and having fun! :)
    sto-sig-pic.png
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Welcome to the party!​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I hit level 10 today and still no chat... I did make a friend tonight though... right before I logged out lol... hope I can find them online tomorrow night...
    sto-sig-pic.png
    I don’t know....I believe it’s time played. It’s one of those confusing things. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve had to worry about it personally
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Greetings, crm14916! Welcome to our little corner of the Internet. I hope you enjoy your visits here. :)

Since you raise the issue of what you need to know, I don't know whether you have any interest in the lore behind the setting, but if so you would probably benefit from this very good free downloadable PDF Lore Primer. Admittedly, it only skims the surface of the setting's potential -- the tabletop pen-and-paper RPG that this MMO is based on has been around since 1981, and the current official version of the setting is detailed in literally dozens of books. But the primer will greatly help you get up to speed on who's who and what's what.

Since the PnP version of the game is the detailed lore source, you can also visit the sub-forum devoted to it and peruse the threads posted there on many subjects, or post any questions you may have. You'll probably notice that I show up there a lot. :3 Champs lore is kinda my thing around here, and I'd be happy to answer questions or point you to where you can read more on any subject.
  • blackwolf305blackwolf305 Posts: 169 Arc User
    Welcome 🤗🤗
    Thank you to all, and a special thank you to @bulgarex for the lore document! I'll definitely give it a read! :)
    sto-sig-pic.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Don't forget to block!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    @MG means in zone

Booya!
    Haven’t figured out when to block, lol... but I have just figured out today how to change characters without logging out each time... I had been clicking the “C” next to the C-Store under the minimap and using the “logout” option, then logging back in... a wonderful player mentioned to hit ESC and choose “Change Characters” today, and voila!

I was also getting my trash kicked in the desert with all the radioactive zombie people yesterday, and today I had no issues... no idea why the difference...

I am also wondering if anyone can tell me about the Adventure Packs in the UNTIL Headuarters... They are missions, but I am afraid to start one since I don’t know how long it takes to complete one or how hard they are for a level 17 Inferno... Any advice or hints would be appreciated...

I also started experimenting with some of the different Archetypes today... Anyone have a favorite? What about travel powers... Any go-to favorites?

Thanks again and I’m totally getting a kick out of this game... Almost too bad the Star Trek Online Anniversary starts on Wednesday... Gonna have to find time to collect Omega particles and finish off the desert zombies... lol...

CM
    sto-sig-pic.png
  • blackwolf305blackwolf305 Posts: 169 Arc User
    @crm14916 I wouldn't suggest doing adventure packs alone at this stage in the game, especial if you're new to co, but I mean you can try but I wouldn't personally recommend it.
    Oh man... I tried to do the Adventure Pack solo, and lost all my stars after entering the first bunker... Fortunately, I have found a great Super Group with lots of lvl 40 folks willing to help. Over the course of a few nights, myself and 1-2 others managed to finish the first one. :)

CM
    sto-sig-pic.png