test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions to console?

I'm sure it's been discussed but I can't find a search option for this forum. And Googling only brings me stuff from 2010 or 2016. Any news on Champions possibly coming to console? I know it was attempted and scrapped during the 360's days. But it just seems that with so many MMO's transferring over that it's just the shot in the arm the game could use. Especially with DCU being the only actual competition hero mmo wise there... And if there isn't. Does anyone have a suggestion for how those interested in a console version would go about getting Cryptic attention?

Comments

• soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    That was canceled last I heard. Due to reasons I do not remember. Been so long since I last saw the reasons.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    sabaition wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been discussed but I can't find a search option for this forum. And Googling only brings me stuff from 2010 or 2016. Any news on Champions possibly coming to console? I know it was attempted and scrapped during the 360's days. But it just seems that with so many MMO's transferring over that it's just the shot in the arm the game could use. Especially with DCU being the only actual competition hero mmo wise there... And if there isn't. Does anyone have a suggestion for how those interested in a console version would go about getting Cryptic attention?

Nope. Not a chance. Especially now, definitely not
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    sabaition wrote: »
    Does anyone have a suggestion for how those interested in a console version would go about getting Cryptic attention?

Be rich enough to buy Cryptic Studios from PWE and fund it yourself. Otherwise, Cryptic’s priorities are where they’ve always been: on whatever the next game to launch is, which today is Magic: The Gathering.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Back when CO was first being developed (according to the stories told by Tumerboy/Tacofangs, who was there and ought to know), it was going to be Marvel Online, with Marvel Entertainment and Microsoft's XBox Division providing support.

Then someone at Marvel decided MMOs were just a passing fad, and pulled support. Microsoft didn't see any way the new game could succeed without a big name like Marvel behind it, and departed as well. That left Cryptic with most of the code for a game, including XBox controller support, but no backing. That was when they came to the rescue of Hero Games, a small-time tabletop game publisher whose biggest hit had been one of the very first point-buy RPGs, Champions. Cryptic purchased the Champions IP, then leased back to Hero the right to publish a tabletop version (which left Hero still able to support their other lines - Fantasy Hero, Space Hero, and Justice Inc).

At this point in the story, Cryptic may or may not be interested in porting CO to consoles in a fashion similar to the STO port; however, it seems unlikely that PWE is at all interested, and Microsoft seems to have pretty well backed off the software end since spinning Bungie (which, IIRC, they had purchased) off into 343 Studios. So a console port of CO seems unlikely at best.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sabaitionsabaition Posts: 2 Arc User
    Dang... Thanks guys
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • leowyld#9736 leowyld Posts: 18 Arc User
    Just months before Champions Online went live, the Xbox 360 port was still planned, it had been announced since the first days of Champions Online being announced (as CO, not the Marvel thing). Had its own section on the CO forums (I remember because I frequented the forums and had been anticipating its Xbox 360 release). But then that support was dropped - something on Microsoft's end, supposedly. That was the closest we've ever been to a console port (although that was pretty close).
  • I used to play Champions Online on PC from steam about 8 years ago. I'm more of a console player now, and I've played rival Superhero MMO on my Xbox One, but the rival game has too many microtransations. I'll still hold out some hope since Star Trek Online made it to console (which I play), that maybe....just maybe Champions Online will too.