test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Personal Magnifiers

lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
They have been sitting in PTS for almost 6 months.

Could we get a rundown list on things that need to be tested in order to help speed up their release on Live?​​

Comments

• atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    I'd rather they just not be released at all for sake of avoiding more mass community backlash
    And they still haven't done anything with the Shrinker devices yet
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I'd rather they just not be released at all for sake of avoiding more mass community backlash

Assuming they work as intended I don't see how there could be any backlash.​​
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »

Which is probably why they still haven't been released. But agreed with the Original Poster. Can we get a list of what needs to be tested and confirmed so that we can help?
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    When Magnifiers were first put up in PTS I did some power interaction testings and reported bugs related to them, mostly Enrage w/Giant Grow, Mini Drive or any other size changing stackable powers that might interact with the Magnifiers. That's as far as my creativity reaches, hence why I'm asking what other possible scenario the devs might want tested.

It' can't have any more negative backlash than it already has, heck there are players still on the fence about coming back to the game till these Magnifiers are released. Vexx as a popular example.​​
    edited November 2018
    lezard21 wrote: »
    It' can't have any more negative backlash than it already has, heck there are players still on the fence about coming back to the game till these Magnifiers are released. Vexx as a popular example.

I just wanted to point out that this is a lie o3o Vexx is currently away from the game for other reasons. Namely not having access to a computer. Lezard, there's no reason to make things up to try to drum up manufactured outrage in the hope that it speeds things along u3u​​
    Prior to him not having access to a computer he had stopped participating in Cosmics and OM training runs due to this change. It's on Discord. Dunno if the situation changed between then and now since I also took a break from the game after the Magnifier change​​
  • beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User

I think the buffet and "all you can eat" establishment owners in MC would disagree! When that tiny patron suddenly grows to ceiling height, the only food vendors left will be the ones selling hot dogs!

Prior to him not having access to a computer he had stopped participating in Cosmics and OM training runs due to this change.

What a huge baby o3o Oh I'm sorry, I meant tiny baby... you know since.. yeah uwu​​
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    > @spinnytop said:
    > lezard21 wrote: »
    >
    > Prior to him not having access to a computer he had stopped participating in Cosmics and OM training runs due to this change.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What a huge baby o3o Oh I'm sorry, I meant tiny baby... you know since.. yeah uwu​​

I took a break from endgame because I finished my all roles in one paladin, was about to come back to endgame to farm my main a bunch of confronts to r9, but my computer went out of commission. Mini-drive is a reason sure, but definitely the lowest reason.

Best believe if i come back in time, i'm devoting to these personal mags though.
  • oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    Not sure what exactly needs tested, but here's a list of bugs I've found, some probably incorrect speculations, and some suggestions I gathered over playing around with the devices on PTS. Not sure if any of this is useful or if the devs are already aware of these things.

(Massive wall of text incoming)

Bug: The Self-Magnifiers are disabled when being hit with a hold.

Bug: The Self-Magnifier visual effect is sometimes disabled when hitting 8 stacks of Enrage with the Giant Growth advantage.
    This can be worked around by toggling the device on and off again.

Bug: The Self-Magnifier visual effect prevents Miniaturization Drive's Reciprocating Gizmo visual effect from playing.

!-Speculation Alert-!

If I had to guess why this is happening, I would say it may be because the Self-Magnifiers might be based of the regular Magnifiers we have now. Earlier this year, the regular Magnifiers were changed to disable their visual effect stacking with Enrage's Giant Growth visual effect and Miniaturization Drive's Reciprocating Gizmo visual effect (as well as various other growth visual effects, like Draysha).

If the Self-Magnifiers were built off the regular Magnifiers, then they also inherited the same restrictions from it. The easiest fix in this case would be to lift the restrictions on the Self-Magnifiers. Since the visual effect is only displayed on the character's screen (and not everyone's like the regular Magnifiers are), then there shouldn't be much harm in letting these visual effects from working with each other. This would also fix Enrage disabling the visual effect at max stacks.

Bug: Using some powers with the Self-Magnifiers turned on will cause your character to vanish from the screen, and unable to interact with objects until the camera is readjusted. This depends on how big your character is, and how far away the camera is from your character.
    This bug can be fixed by fiddling with the camera. Using /camdist 200 is usually a surefire way to fix the bug.
    This bug can be avoided by having the camera pulled out far. How far you need to bring the camera out depends on how big your character is.

This bug was reported earlier by other players, but this doesn't actually seem to be a bug that is exclusive to the Self-Magnifiers.

The power I was using to test this bug was Havoc Stomp. Vicious Descent is another power I encountered that can trigger this bug. Any power that seems to move your character around a fair amount may be liable to trigger this bug.

In the case of Havoc Stomp, when charged at least half way your character will jump up into the air instead of stomping. When you're using the Self-Magnifiers and have the camera too close, this bug will trigger and your character will turn invisible.

However, it is possible to trigger this bug by just using Enrage w/ Giant Growth or Miniaturization Drive's Reciprocating Gizmo and no Self-Magnifiers. It seems that if your character is big enough, and you pull the camera close enough to your character and use one of these powers, you can also trigger the invisibility. But without the use of Self-Magnifiers you have to have the camera extremely close to your character. Having the camera that close to your character is more-or-less unplayable.

Since the Self-Magnifiers make your character much bigger, it becomes much easier to trigger this bug. However, by having the camera pulled out far to start with, you can avoid this invisibility bug.

As for trying to get the visual effect to display on other players' screens, I've been unable to do so. I've also been unable to get the devices to stack with each other. The method being used to prevent the devices from stacking with each other, as well as the other size-changing devices seems to be effective.

Specifically what I've tried:
    • Simply activating two or more at a time
    • Activating two or more, and switching zones before the devices have a chance to detoggle.
      (The devices will properly detoggle upon entering the new zone)
    • Activating two or more, and logging off/force quitting the game.
      (When you log back in, the devices will properly detoggle)
    • Spamming them
    • Activating one, swapping its position in the device tray with another device and then activating that device in the slot the first one was just in.
      (The old device will properly detoggle as the new device activates)
    • Activating one, using the /movementreset command and then activating another.
      (The first device will detoggle and its VFX will be removed as the new one activates, even if it's been dragged off the device tray)
    • Activating one, using the /PowersCancelAllActivations command and then activating another.
      (Same result as using movementreset)

I've also done the above things in front of other players helping me test the devices. In every case, none of the players reported anything unusual happening.

Trying to glitch the Self-Magnifiers with each other resulted with nothing happening on their end, my character stayed normal size throughout my attempts on their screen. Trying to glitch the regular Magnifiers with the Self-Magnifiers resulted in my character switching between his normal size, and how big he should be with just one regular Magnifier on. The players that helped me test this reported that my character never grew beyond regular Magnifier size on their screen.

I've also have had other players use size-changing effects on me, such as the Miniaturization Drive debuff, while having a Self-Magnifier on. From their end, they reported my character being normal-sized, and then shrinking down properly. Mixing the above glitch attempts while under MD's debuff visual effect also seemed to have no impact.

This last part here is more speculation, but using the visual effect viewer in demo playback shows that the visual effects these devices apply are tagged "Local Player Only". As far as I'm aware, another device that draws visual effects client-side only is Target Locked. Looking at its various visual effects (TL applies multiple VFX, not just one) they are also all tagged with the same "Local Player Only".

The reason I bring this up is because I'm wondering if there was ever a case of Target Locked applying its HUD visual effects to players other than the one who activated it. If so, then the same method could be used to cause the Self-Magnifiers to draw their effects on other players' screens.

However, I'm unaware if something like that is possible. I use Target Locked quite a bit, as well as play with others who use it, and I've never ran into the issue where TL was drawing its effect on the wrong screens. Then again, none of us were actively trying to break the device or the VFX. Still it's something to look into.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I've pretty much given up at the personal magnifier. Mostly because devs don't make it a priority. And seeing how our only dev doesn't really like giant-theme, personal magnifier is probably shelved forever.

Although, I have a hunch that these Personal mags are set to be released(hah, if ever) on April 2019. It's the month where you get growth aesthetics. (e.g. Fisticuffs, Bobblehead) But that's only wishful thinking.

CO needs another dev that knows how to code. Kaizerin can't do everything alone.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    edited November 2018
    It has been pointed out to me that the Personal Magnifiers posses the same "Client Side" tag as the Target Locked HUD aura.

SUGGESTION
    Turn the new Personal Magnifiers into a client sided Aura just like Target Locked. That way, you prevent any device/power related interaction sheenanigans. Add an extra tag to the Old Magnifiers so they can't work as long as you have a Personal Magnifier Aura equipped

SUGGESTION
    In the same vein, make a Personal Shrinker Aura with the same restrictions as above mentioned.
    ​​
    Lezard is the hugest liar \o3o/​​
    What? Not at all. He's justified to assume, we all threw the second heaviest fit next to the subs goin' away. No need to try and paint people bad, speaks volumes about one's self afterall.
    But the world refused to change! Lezard remains the hugest liar! \owo/​​
  • beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User
    The word on the street is that Vexx had to flee MC to avoid extradition for some hug-related fatalities from years back...

I kid! I miss seeing the big guy casting a friendly shadow over the new folks zoning into CO. :(
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I think the reason they haven't gone live is pretty clear. Many of the people wanting this device use them on canine-like characters, but the dev is a cat person. Just need everyone who wants this device to pose together in RenCen with their newly tailored wannabee giant felines. ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I think the reason they haven't gone live is pretty clear. Many of the people wanting this device use them on canine-like characters, but the dev is a cat person. Just need everyone who wants this device to pose together in RenCen with their newly tailored wannabee giant felines. ;)

Alright, time to throw on the lion mane!
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    Been waiting for these for about 6 months. lol, Forgot I was waiting for them actually because I have been playing other stuff.
    A couple of folks have been testing this, both in PTS and in demorecord and were unable to find a way to break the client side tag. Heck, the client side tag the Magnifiers posses is the same as Target Locked and I haven't heard of it popping up in other people's screen. But who knows, maybe someone found a super obscure way of breaking the tag and thus the devs want to test some more.

Maybe 2019 will be the year Magnifiers are released \o/​​
    I wonder if permanent shinkers will ever happen? I have a use for those.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    edited January 2019
    Any ETA on these? Or at least can we know how high are they on the priority list? Some of us folks have been witholding our zen in the eventuality that they are released just saying.​​
    Do the devs ever give us ETAs?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Any ETA on these? Or at least can we know how high are they on the priority list? Some of us folks have been witholding our zen in the eventuality that they are released just saying.

GIVE IT TO US NOW OR NO SPEND ZEN O3O​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Dem wat magnifers????
    Is tis somthing gaemchangig that i should quit my job, devorse the wifey, put kid in adoption, dump my sidechic, sell my 4x4 and shot my doge?
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Any ETA on these? Or at least can we know how high are they on the priority list? Some of us folks have been witholding our zen in the eventuality that they are released just saying.

GIVE IT TO US NOW OR NO SPEND ZEN O3O

plz bait harder

I'm not saying I'm not going to spend zen if they are not released.

I'm asking wether I should keep saving zen waiting for this to get released anytime soon or if I should just spend my zen cause they are not coming anytime soon.​​
    Personal Magnifiers or we boycott dem freakin' cat AFs.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    I always sell cat AFs for chump change. I like the idea that cat people are subsidizing the game for me.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Personal Magnifiers or we boycott dem freakin' cat AFs.

Been doin' that since day one catday.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Haha, the rainbow kitten from this last one goes for about 10 thousand gold.
    [NbK]XStorm
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Haha, the rainbow kitten from this last one goes for about 10 thousand gold.

Quit trading people gold for in-game items, ur gonna get us in trouble with Belgium!​​
    Any updates @devs?​​
    Devs: "We will release Personal Magnifiers when KH 4 comes."
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    I know from insiders that they aren't abandonned. The team doesn't have time yet to do their own test in the current plans.
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
    edited February 2019
    I know from insiders that they aren't abandonned. The team doesn't have time yet to do their own test in the current plans.
    Can confirm this.
    Patience is golden.

• lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    Why can't the Personal Magnifiers be used alongside Super magnifier? If it is only for your screen, I hardly see an issue.

I don't really mind it at all, but I find the choice odd. Unless it's to avoid bugs and whatnot, I suppose?
    This month marks the 1 year anniversary of this thread.. 🎂🐼
    Same progress as ever.
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png

"Don't call me lizard!"
    This is the only topic in the PTS section, Personal Magnifiers coming out soon confirmed! \o/
    edited December 2019
    Also this topic, despite having 1.7k views, almost from 5 to 10 times the general views any topic gets, including patch notes, which would suggest it's a topic of interest to the community, has been tagged to sink a long while ago, meaning new posts in it don't show up under "Last post made"

Not to mention I have the strange sensation that a couple posts have been deleted. You can only fit so many topics under the "stuff the devs don't want people talking about" rug​​
    Or perhaps many people keep coming back to this thread who haven't made a comment check up to see what's been new. Then find out nothing has changed. Then leave.
    I don't think these threads account for 'unique visitors,' so it's everyone looking back here now and again.
    However I do expect whenever they do release in whatever form, this thread's gonna explode.
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png

"Don't call me lizard!"
    has been tagged to sink

1. how does that matter when there's only ever like...4 things in this section
    2. if they really wanted to silence the issue, wouldn't they delete it?