test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stockings no longer dropping Winter currency - bye bye event

I hate to say it but I'm done with the Winter Event because of this. :'(

I don't mind 'some' grinding for new items, but this is too much. I don't need a second job called a game that is supposed to entertain me. Instead of me playing more, this change has had the complete opposite effect. Not a good step Cryptic.

I understand they wanted to do this to keep people from 'stockpiling' currency for next year, but isn't there some better way to restrict this activity? (STO simply has 'yearly' currency that is only good for that year's event).

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Opening boxes and killing the tiny robots that come out of them still gives currency....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I haven’t farmed either because the store is disappointing this year, only 2 items that even looks interesting
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Yeah no, like I'm now just selling all the stockings because their base price (65 local) is generally more valuable than most of the things that come out of it.

I sure am enticed to open a bag that has chances to drop:
    • Joke currency for vendor in a volcano you need to farm all events for
    • Trash item I don't know if there's a use for or not (coal)
    • Trash item that generates another trash item for somebody that's also currently bugged to not have a cooldown (winter gift)
    • Joke healing item that can poison you (stale candy)
    • Not one, not two, but three different varieties of healing items that have meh side buffs
    • The christmas star, which does the exact same thing as the star refill except that it's blue rarity and stacks in a separate stack because that's sure great for my inventory that's already flooded full of special gingerbread cookies and egg nog.

This event has single-handedly killed all my christmas spirit. It has had tangible real-life effects on my experience and perception of what christmas is. I have regressed into a scrooge state. I'm growing green hair all over my body as my heart shrivels to one-third its original size. I have become the anti-christmas.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    I farmed the dailies with multiple characters the first 2 weeks (1 and a half really) and now I have enough tokens to buy all the costumes for all 4 the Weeks the event takes place, I don't even bother farming the event or fighting clarence anymore. I just do my Qzone dailies now

as for Stockings, yeah they are worthless​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    i will say that it is nice that there's presents in all different zones though since it means I can multitask farming for those last extremely elusive Vibora costume unlocks while fondling presents and beating toys to death.

There's been some odd mishandling of this event in general, such as Santa only showing up on the 27th instead of the 25th because Thursdays are extremely powerful in Cryptic time. Also the fun hiccups of Schrodinger's Clarence on that day.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I hate to say it but I'm done with the Winter Event because of this. :'(

Uh... you can still farm currency by running March of the Mecha Soldiers and Clarence you know. But hey, if you wanna throw the baby out with the bathwater go for it. Babies are stupid anyways and it's too cold for baths o3o

avianos wrote: »
    as for Stockings, yeah they are worthless

I dunno, I got some costumes out of the crackers so, less farming for me I guess. Also been using all the healing items it gives. Neat stuff.​​
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    Currency still falls out of the sky during this event. And if you want to give coins to characters that aren't farming, there's still yellow crackers, polkadot crackers, and toy parts.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Crackers are good, giving me costume items. And thanks to all that useless garbage and the good services of Karneeki, I've accumulated over a hundred Globals just in trash-vendor sales!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I mean functionally, instead of doing stuff to get stockings on one character, you're now doing stuff to get currency on multiple characters and in the end spending basically the same amount of time on it. This just seems like more of that "I hate change" stuff u3u​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    I haven’t farmed either because the store is disappointing this year, only 2 items that even looks interesting

I bought one item and that's about it. Idk why this event was so disappointing tbh
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    CO is the only game where they didn’t even gift us on XMas day
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I'm in the slow process of getting vehicles for all my heroes and the winter store has some decent looking ones. Other than that, there're about 3 costume pieces that I don't have yet (and that I want, no use for teddy costume) that I am working toward. Stockings, toy crates (it's not time efficient for me to try to put the toys together for 2 WC each; maybe if the were 5 each) and contents of green crackers are vendor trash. Some of the other crackers have given me pieces that I did not already have, and made a few 100 gs selling duplicates.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    saying its ok because crackers can drop things and you can get toy parts has no bearing on this argument about stockings though since neither of them come from stockings.

Taking currency out of stockings has made them worthless, just as the op said.

All they drop is trash of no use that you drown in if you open them, nothing of value and too much of it!
    edited December 2018
    saying its ok because crackers can drop things and you can get toy parts has no bearing on this argument about stockings though since neither of them come from stockings.

Just think of stockings as being stuffed with resources then. I mean personally I actually use all the healing items in them.
    All they drop is trash of no use that you drown in if you open them, nothing of value and too much of it!

Hmmm, I'm sure I can make a meme with this new "You're giving us too many rewards" thing o3o

jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    (it's not time efficient for me to try to put the toys together for 2 WC each; maybe if the were 5 each)

I agree... I guess.. I mean I did at one point sit there doing the toy quests a bunch and it did get me to 400 tokens for that ice cape. I'm not gonna do it again... but that's mainly cause I got the ice cape already.​​
    can't you sell toy crates on exchange? Might give a better price than vendor trashing them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited December 2018
    can't you sell toy crates on exchange? Might give a better price than vendor trashing them.

Crates go for 99s on the exchange right now. So yes o3o

I just noticed Toy Crates have varying vendor prices. Some are 55L, some are 10N, and some are 13N .-.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »

Just think of stockings as being stuffed with resources then. I mean personally I actually use all the healing items in them.

Hmmm, I'm sure I can make a meme with this new "You're giving us too many rewards" thing o3o​​

You make use of all the healing items, suuuure you do, there are not 1, not 2, not even 3, but 5 different healing items, meaning you get a healing item pretty much every other stocking, just how many healing items are you using!?!?

I've had thousands, and that's LITERALLY and not exaggerating, but THOUSANDS of stockings, which also would translate to well over a thousand healing items, and the event is only just over halfway!

As to a meme about too many rewards, that's not what i'm saying, i'm saying they are just piling trash upon us that has zero use, all it does is make us take the effort to destroy things we cant use - that isn't a reward !

Either they need to put something worthwhile back into the stockings to replace the previously only worthwhile item they removed (winter charms) or stop dropping them like water we have to take the time to pour down the drain. In other words for those who don't understand metaphors, don't keep throwing thousands of things at us we need to manually destroy as they are useless - that's a burden NOT a reward.

Finally again saying the toy crates are worthwhile is irrelevant, they don't come from stockings, which the complaint is about - the stockings now being worthless.
    I use healing items all the time. I play squishies remember? Use those things like I just got a bunch for free!

Also what are you manually destroying? Just vendor the stockings if you don't wanna deal with what's in them. I don't get the obsession with the idea that stockings must have something great in them. They're just a collateral reward you get from doing winter event stuff. They certainly aren't the whole of the winter event... it'd be really weird to be like "WELP stockings don't have anything good in them, winter event is pointless". The main draw of the event is the vendor rewards, and every activity in the event still gives currency for that. Guess what I'm saying is... who cares about stockings? Not me, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Well... unless they add some really nice xmas stockings as a reward on the vendor... now that I would care about!​​
    Not meaning to be rude but I still dont see how you can use up all the healing items from this event. I know you're at least as experienced at the game as I am, and 2 of my 3 mains are squishy dps, they get through maybe 1-2 stacks of healing items a week at most. This event drops stockings like water, just doing the 3 dailies will get you around 50, which will give you over a stack a day. Thats from barely doing the event at all.

Anyway, back to the point.

When the stockings could drop winter charms they had a use and a value, without them they don't. They are not even worth selling at 65L each it takes 153 to get 1G. You can get as much selling 1 yellow cracker on the AH as you can from 1500 stockings - 75 STACKS of them!

Thats throwing thousands of useless items around like water as I said, and is totally pointless, not having them drop would be preferable.

Either they need to make them worthwhile by having something worthwhile in them, or they should cut the drop rate to 1/10 and make them 10 times as good (even if its just in vendor price) so instead of flooding you with thousands of worthless items you get hundreds of small value items at least.
    Um... do you throw water around a lot? That seems like it would create a lot of property damage. Mold can be an expensive problem to deal with you know. You just keep mentioning throwing things around like water over and over... produces a certain mental image. Not sure if that's a common saying where you're from.

I'm not sure where this arbitrary requirement of using up the healing items in a certain period of time came from. What I said was that I use them. Then you tried to attach some sort of "you must use x in period y" stipulation which still doesn't really make any sense to me. I use them when I take damage. Happens.

If they're not worth selling, are they somehow more worth manually deleting? Again, you're attaching some arbitrary "need to be worth X resources" stipulation here, when what was said was "if you don't want to bother with what's in them, just vendor them" because that's convenient. But as far as resource value, Jon already pointed out that he got over 100G from the various drops during the event, so that says something to the vendor value of the stockings and their contents.

Even the whole idea that "stockings need to have X value of rewards" is completely arbitrary. Why do they need to have a given value? They're just collateral rewards you get from doing winter event stuff. They don't take any extra effort to acquire, you get them as a consequence of farming Winter currency. So long as they give more than 0 then they're just extra free stuff. Sure they take up bag space, but that would seem to more logically lead to us asking for bigger bags, not less rewards.​​
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Seems like a lot of this objection is to do with feeling gratification and you're no longer deriving it from a belief system about enjoying gifts, instead of getting what you want you basically want to ruin the fun for everyone else? it's a novelty at best, enjoy it or don't.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    Then just don't worry about them. Delete them.
  • combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    You still sometimes get currency instead of stockings or toy boxes......
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The real gift given by stockings this year is "inventory management."
    So long as they give more than 0 then they're just extra free stuff. Sure they take up bag space, but that would seem to more logically lead to us asking for bigger bags, not less rewards.​​

1) Just because something's free, that doesn't make it good. I've started discarding them because it's less work than selling them for the pittance they're worth. If I could buy a "Stocking/Toy Crate Vaporizer" device that prevented them from ever reaching my inventory at all, I'd gladly do so.

2) For me, it logically it just leads to #1. I don't want to carry around crap that has no value. I found like 100+ toy crates on one of mine and there's NO WAY I'm going to bother opening those. They're going in the dumpster.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    Just because something's free, that doesn't make it good.

That's basically the most insane thing you've ever said.​​
    Just because something's free, that doesn't make it good.

That's basically the most insane thing you've ever said.​​

Not really. Not every free thing IS innately good. Not bad either though, it's just inconsequential at best or complete crap(and rightfully free) at worst. I throw away the toy boxes as they're clutter and I already got all the perks.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited January 2019
    No, you're insane. If someone tries to give you a christmas stocking full of juice boxes and you're like "I don't have time for this!" you should be locked up immediately o3o​​
    No, you're insane. If someone tries to give you a christmas stocking full of juice boxes and you're like "I don't have time for this!" you should be locked up immediately o3o​​

Maybe they don't like juice boxes? :P. idk. I'd honestly if I didn't like them throw them away. What's to lose?

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited January 2019
    I’m giving away free poop! Who doesn’t like free!!??

Spinny?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    I'm just wondering in what universe it's easier to drag-and-drop all those items for destruction, than to open the Sell menu with Karneeki and click on every item you want to be rid of. And the second method gives you Resources, which are always handy (I tell people who can't figure out what to give me on Christmas or my birthday that cash is always the right size and the right color...).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I’m giving away free poop! Who doesn’t like free!!??

Spinny?

Yeah I'll take it. It's going right in my garden :)​​
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Haha, I've discarded 1000s of this crap since I've been grinding clarence. It's a waste of time to open the stockings, and even more of a waste of time to sell all the crap that you get from them for less than 1 silver.
    [NbK]XStorm
    Damn, must be nice to be so rich o3o some of us gotta scrape together every bit of resources we can get.​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    lol run 1 smash and you've probably made more than what you'd get from selling a daily's worth of stocking trash.

Time is a valuable commodity too you know.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Stocking is still good, for the toons still not having Dried Mistletoe device. And a rock.
    Lets run layers to get "Stolen kisses" perk.
    You want holiday tokens? Just do mission "misfit toys" every day. o3o
  • lan#8253 lan Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    It basically come to this:
    - stockings: I only use the social items like snowballs and mistletoes. Everything else gets dumped. Life is too short for the rest of this trash.
    - crates: stopped doing the AF missions because I've been at max currency for 2 weeks (no interest in anything in the store), so now I sell all of the crates
    - crackers: gold are great, purple are good, maybe I'll sell what comes from a yellow (everything else is trash)
    lol run 1 smash and you've probably made more than what you'd get from selling a daily's worth of stocking trash.

Time is a valuable commodity too you know.

There's no time for Smash, we have to farm Winter Bear, and as a side effect of doing that we get free stockings. So sure you go waste your time in Smash, everyone else is gonna farm Winter Bear and then get free G o3o​​
    Yeah, Teddy guts are worth $$$. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters