test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fallout 76 aka The facts why Fallout 76 is bad. Or why Bethesda is.

1246

Comments

  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,766 Arc User
    still speculation if you don't know what Bethesda was using the variable names FOR.
    You can read, right? Stockholm syndrome much? Of course, now that gamers found out about the code being in place, Bethesda is going to pull the brakes on their plans. But still, it doesn't make their secret attempt at shoving MTX into the customers faces, less insulting.
    I've never played ANY game made by Bethesda....

    also whining about lootboxes is like whining about the fact you don't get all the perks for free... Initial sales are not adequate to run the servers for an online multiplayer game. You can stamp your feet about it being an "insult" as long as you want, it doesn't change that Bethesda makes games because they want your money.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    still speculation if you don't know what Bethesda was using the variable names FOR.

    You can read, right? Stockholm syndrome much? Of course, now that gamers found out about the code being in place, Bethesda is going to pull the brakes on their plans. But still, it doesn't make their secret attempt at shoving MTX into the customers faces, less insulting.
    Have fun not playing colonelwing! it is a flawed game but lots of us enjoy it. I truly hope Bethesda does a better job next time! Please do keep us updated on how horrible this game truly is. You're mostly right after all...even though most of us do not care. Have you tried it yet? probably not...if you had you would have personal experience to relate but instead you just post videos....

  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    You guys are creepy.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    :D

  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User

    You guys are creepy.


    eey colonel to be honest if you are right you are right.


  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    Oh no, microtransactions, I was told to be upset about those!​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,035 Arc User
    There you go:
    POST_ATX_Lunchbox_Effect_CarryCapacityBonus EDID changed to ATX_Lunchbox_Effect_CarryCapacityBonus

    Well, if that means opening gazillion lootboxes, i do fine without it. Stick it into the Atomic Store in form of Backbags, i'll buy it.
    I think i've lost "need-to-have" about 20 years ago.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,264 Arc User
    It's "creepy" to enjoy something you don't, and to find rumors based on supposed code crawls to be rather less than reliable??

    Okay, champ, you do you. I'm just over here having fun playing a game, even if you disapprove. Much the way I feel about CO, come to think of it...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    I'm not against microtransactions... in free to play games and if they're not pay to win. ^^
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    I'll give a care when they add microtransactions that automatically buy themselves without my authorization. So long as I don't have to buy them, microtrans away!​​
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,264 Arc User
    I'm not against microtransactions... in free to play games and if they're not pay to win. ^^
    Then these shouldn't give you so much as a moment's pause. But if you just plain don't like Bethesda, then I guess that's on you.

    On my backup XBox account, I'm working on a toon where I'm actually doing a bit of RP, even if it's just in my own head; his name is Eliot Garvey, and he's Preston Garvey's great-grandfather. And right now I'm saving up my atoms to get the Duster and Cowboy Hat from the Atomic Shop - should have all 1000 Atoms in a day or two, and probably make level 9 or 10. Meanwhile, he's looking kind of Fifties in his suspenders and slacks...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    The jig is up. We here defending FO76 are just a bunch of creepy Bethesda cultists trying to get poor innocent gamers to drink our kool aid.

    Meanwhile my character in the game is lvl 60 now and I am starting to run out of quests to do that are not dailies or events which is unfortunate... pretty satisfied with my character build though, which is a stealthy pistols/shotguns sort of deal that I typically go with in most fallout games. Bagged me a Mothman for the first time last night, it was also the first one I'd seen that was hostile and didn't just teleport away after 2 seconds. That was pretty cool.

  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    Jon, i have an Akatosh tattoo on my arm. I'm a Bethesda fan since daggerfall. (I'm older than you think). I also got myself the fallout power armor edition (PC), just for the helmet, though.

    Should i post about today's Bethesda oopsie? Regarding the false advertising of ingame items? Or will you people tell me, that it's all fine and dandy? At this point, they're digging their own grave (sadly).
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    Should i post about today's Bethesda oopsie? Regarding the false advertising of ingame items? Or will you people tell me, that it's all fine and dandy? At this point, they're digging their own grave (sadly).

    Do you think you'll be the anti-Bethesda warrior to finally win this battle?

    Yeah yeah I know, tatoo on your arm. That's not going to make you anymore successful in what you're trying to do though. People are having fun and you can't stop them.​​
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The thing is, the gamers have had enough. In case you have not noticed it, the long needed video game - market crash is happening right now. The triple A publishers tried cashing in on casuals and trendies. Said crowd is highly vocal, (they make it seem like everybody loves messed up games) when in fact they're just a minority and Bethesda aswell as other triple A clowns shot themselves in the foot (great!). I am merely trying to save the future of video games, by informing people what's really going on. As i mentioned, the few buying into the lies, are a major part of the issue, by sugar coating obvious shady business practices. This is not the only forum i am active on. As it stands, the gamers are actually winning the 'war'.

    Is this a bad thing? I highly doubt it.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Jon, i have an Akatosh tattoo on my arm. I'm a Bethesda fan since daggerfall. (I'm older than you think). I also got myself the fallout power armor edition (PC), just for the helmet, though.

    Should i post about today's Bethesda oopsie? Regarding the false advertising of ingame items? Or will you people tell me, that it's all fine and dandy? At this point, they're digging their own grave (sadly).

    You mean releasing stupid holiday themed cosmetic junk as being "for sale" during the holidays even though they were not yet released at full price? I assume that means that after the holidays the prices on those items will go up slightly. Oh dear how awful. Truly a travesty. More clickbait outrage..it does keep piling up though doesn't it? At least it is keeping angry youtubers occupied.

  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    The thing is, the gamers have had enough... I am merely trying to save the future of video games... As it stands, the gamers are actually winning the 'war'.

    TESVI and Fallout 5 are gonna sell like hotcakes. There is no war.​​
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    You mean releasing stupid holiday themed cosmetic junk as being "for sale" during the holidays even though they were not yet released at full price? I assume that means that after the holidays the prices on those items will go up slightly. Oh dear how awful. Truly a travesty. More clickbait outrage..it does keep piling up though doesn't it? At least it is keeping angry youtubers occupied.

    That is false advertising. Items that have not been sold prior to going on sale, have no discount.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited December 2018



    So limited time discounts are not technically a sale, I guess I can see your logic there. Duly noted.
    As it stands, the gamers are actually winning the 'war'.


    Sure it's a war, and ok... your side is winning. Cool.


    Bethesda makes fun games that I enjoy and FO76 falls into that category with the rest of them. That is my personal opinion, I am not on a crusade. I have no interest in saving gaming or gamers whatever that even means. If I like the game I will play it and support it, if I don't like it or am uninterested I will move on.

  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,264 Arc User
    Colonel, face it - you've become a Stop Having Fun Guy. And tattooing your arm proves nothing except your pain tolerance.

    So go ahead, hate the game. Like I said, I'll just be over here playing it. Somehow, I think I'll have more fun than you will...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    https://www.dexerto.com/fallout/fallout-76-players-are-being-banned-for-a-surprising-reason-263136

    I mean duh, it's online, so modding is an issue. Can't these people just wait until Beth puts out the private server thing?

    I like how the article says "Considering Bethesda’s previously open attitude towards the modding community, these bans could signal a dramatic change to that moving forward." as if they're banning modders on all their games and not just F76. The ability of people to be dumb and try to manufacture outrage in this case is amazing.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,766 Arc User
    Modding in MMOs is basically seen as cheating. People need to actually respect the TOS.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    Modding in MMOs is basically seen as cheating. People need to actually respect the TOS.

    Bs, plenty of mmos allow mods. At this point, i believe you're merely posting for the sake of posting. Cheating and modding are two different things.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I mean duh, it's online, so modding is an issue.

    Yes, because that wide screen mod along with some texture loading tweaks gives them an unfair advantage over others! Not..
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,766 Arc User
    Modding in MMOs is basically seen as cheating. People need to actually respect the TOS.
    Bs, plenty of mmos allow mods.
    Prove it. You say "plenty" I figure 3 examples should suffice. I don't think you can name even one though.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    UI mods are still mods - and there are dozens of them for both WoW and ESO...but those were the only two i could find that allow UI mods; none of the other big-name MMOs seem to allow it

    so 'plenty' is stretching it​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Yes, because that wide screen mod along with some texture loading tweaks gives them an unfair advantage over others! Not..

    Did I say anything about unfair advantages? No, so it doesn't matter to me that you're referencing them. Modifying online games is commonly known to be a one way ticket to a ban. Doesn't matter how you're modifying it or how harmless you think your little tweaks are, the software is set up to detect tampering and bans you accordingly. That's just common sense at this point. If the game doesn't explicitly state that you may modify it, then the correct assumption to make is that it is just like the other vast majority of online games. If you assume otherwise, then you do so at your own risk.​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    still speculation if you don't know what Bethesda was using the variable names FOR.
    You can read, right? Stockholm syndrome much? Of course, now that gamers found out about the code being in place, Bethesda is going to pull the brakes on their plans. But still, it doesn't make their secret attempt at shoving MTX into the customers faces, less insulting.
    I've never played ANY game made by Bethesda....

    also whining about lootboxes is like whining about the fact you don't get all the perks for free... Initial sales are not adequate to run the servers for an online multiplayer game. You can stamp your feet about it being an "insult" as long as you want, it doesn't change that Bethesda makes games because they want your money.

    Initial sales aren't adequate because of bad word of mouth for the state it was released in tbh.
    Modding in MMOs is basically seen as cheating. People need to actually respect the TOS.

    Bs, plenty of mmos allow mods. At this point, i believe you're merely posting for the sake of posting. Cheating and modding are two different things.

    WoW does it and that's about it. Maybe a few smaller ones but yeah. Also, it sucks for those who were actually doing like in FO4 where they fixed bethesda's common half-**** development of games with mods that helped. But hey! for those not cheating, look at it on the bright side, you're perma banned; might as well return it for another game you want
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

    42 40s, LTSer.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    In an online potentially competitive environment tweaking graphics that could give players smoother/improved gameplay could be seen as an unfair advantage over others I would say.

    but anyway improved gameplay or not it is pretty common knowledge that modding is not allowed by the vast majority of mmos and players who mod mmos can potentially be banned.

    This is just another article mostly stolen from reddit to create more drama and clickbait.

  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    In an online potentially competitive environment tweaking graphics that could give players smoother/improved gameplay could be seen as an unfair advantage over others I would say.

    So.. people with better computers get banned? Since they have higher fps? What about people with better internet than others?

    You crack me up.

  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Prove it. You say "plenty" I figure 3 examples should suffice. I don't think you can name even one though.

    Do i come across as some sort of errant boy? You know how to google, right? I did it for you, anyway.. otherwise you'd most likely provide me some tumblr link.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/94rn3a/modder_friendly_mmorpgs/


    Have a good one.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »

    Did I say anything about unfair advantages? No, so it doesn't matter to me that you're referencing them. Modifying online games is commonly known to be a one way ticket to a ban. Doesn't matter how you're modifying it or how harmless you think your little tweaks are, the software is set up to detect tampering and bans you accordingly. That's just common sense at this point. If the game doesn't explicitly state that you may modify it, then the correct assumption to make is that it is just like the other vast majority of online games. If you assume otherwise, then you do so at your own risk.​​

    As long as the tweaks are client side, i usually do whatever i want, since it has no impact on the gameplay or gaming experience of other gamers. I have tweaked CO so it runs smoother. I disabled some annoying aura effects, because the developers did not bother tying a great bunch of the newer auras, power FX, aswell as the newly added, larger snow FX (fills up memory within minutes) to visual effects settings.

    Since it is only visible to myself - no harm done.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    And if you ever get banned your response should be "well I knew the risks".​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    And if you ever get banned your response should be "well I knew the risks".​​

    I've been tweaking CO client side, since.. 2013. Give it up buddy, your arguments are invalid. You know where the rubber room is, make sure to close the door behind you.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    And if you ever get banned your response should be "well I knew the risks".

    I've been tweaking CO client side, since.. 2013. Give it up buddy, your arguments are invalid. You know where the rubber room is, make sure to close the door behind you.

    Are they invalid? People are being banned from Fallout 76 as we speak. I think my argument is not only valid, but being put into practice, and not just in Fallout 76 but hundreds, or even thousands of other online games. Did you forget the conversation isn't about tweaking CO? Even on that topic, there is no statute of limitations on these things. They could start looking for those changes tomorrow and if they banned you, saying "But you've let me get away with it since 2013!" wouldn't get you unbanned.

    You thought tweaking CO was a good argument for why people being banned in F76 isn't justified? I think that rubber room is for you!​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,035 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I've been tweaking CO client side, since.. 2013. Give it up buddy, your arguments are invalid. You know where the rubber room is, make sure to close the door behind you.

    share, pls.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,264 Arc User
    People get away with things in CO that will get them banned; we don't have enough GMs to catch them, is all. If you think Bethesda (or Blizzard, or any of a number of other companies much wealthier than Cryptic) aren't watching for that, well, just don't act all surprised when the banhammer falls, ya know?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    So.. people with better computers get banned? Since they have higher fps? What about people with better internet than others?

    You crack me up.

    Glad you're having a laugh!

    You're right, having a better computer or internet connection isn't against the rules...but altering game files for better performance apparently is.

    Also keep it on the DL about all those CO mods you've been using, because that sort of thing could get you banned on this game as well.

  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    beez has a point. Doing it, and announcing you're doing it on the forums has been the difference between getting away with something and getting caught for others in the past.​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    And if you ever get banned your response should be "well I knew the risks".​​

    I actually agree with spinny on this one regarding only CO though. I don't know what mods exactly anyone in FO76 were/were not using so I can't specifically say. Plus, their TOS is not concrete in defining the relationship with mods as well as CO is(surprising tbh)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

    42 40s, LTSer.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    Yeah, disabling some aura FX (only disabled for me, on my screen) is evil and gives me unfair advantages over others... That's basically all i ever edited, aside from tweaking the FOV some. The FOV mod is actually from an official Cryptic thread (Neverwinter) and is encouraged to be used, because the standard FOV in CO, NW aswell as STO can (and in my case does) induce massive headaches.

    Like i said, rubber room, now.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Yeah, disabling some aura FX (only disabled for me, on my screen) is evil and gives me unfair advantages over others...

    Calm down nobody said doing that made you an evil person that is just nonsensical crazy talk, people are just advising you not to talk about mods on the forums regardless of the effects they have and even if they only effect you personally. Its probably unlikely but that sort of thing could get you banned so best to play it safe right?



  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    is evil

    You either die cause you don't have an advantage, or you mod the game long enough to see yourself become a villain.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,766 Arc User
    Prove it. You say "plenty" I figure 3 examples should suffice. I don't think you can name even one though.
    Do i come across as some sort of errant boy?
    First rule of proving a point: If you make a claim it's up to you to provide evidence substantiating that claim. this is sometimes paraphrased as "pics or it didn't happen".

    Anyways, you act like "harmless visual changes" are the only thing people are getting banned about. Part of why MMO devs take a dim view is due to things like nude mods, or that Overwatch mod that gave you auto aim. Technically they're both client side UI mods.

    What Bethesda is thinking about? Well stuff like those, but also mods that give you free gear, since those were pretty common in Skyrim and FO4.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    edited December 2018

    I like how the first post I see in there says:

    "people make texture mods for lots of games (i know there are communities for ffxiv and wow at least) and while the devs will in some cases turn a blind eye to that sort of thing, i don’t think any mmo officially condones or facilitates it due to the possibility of gameplay-relevant modifications"

    Is that the good one I was supposed to have?

    As for the rest of that reddit discussion thread, it doesn't really support your claim that "plenty" of mmos allow modding. Had you said "a handful of online games kind of allow it, but it's certainly not such a standard practice that anyone could be justified in assuming it was allowed in any given online game" then maybe. I mean what, you thought a reddit thread with 17 responses was going to make your point for you? To the romper room with ye!​​
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Anyways, you act like "harmless visual changes" are the only thing people are getting banned about. Part of why MMO devs take a dim view is due to things like nude mods, or that Overwatch mod that gave you auto aim. Technically they're both client side UI mods.

    What Bethesda is thinking about? Well stuff like those, but also mods that give you free gear, since those were pretty common in Skyrim and FO4.

    Pay close attention to what Todd Howard says at the beginning of the video and maybe, watch the rest of it.




    I got banned, over a 4k res. texture mod. I am now forced to write an essay to get unbanned. I have yet to come across a single cheater, tbh.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    blurps​​

    I could put more effort into it, but i just went with the first thing that actually popped up.

  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 243 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    Yeah, disabling some aura FX (only disabled for me, on my screen) is evil and gives me unfair advantages over others...

    Calm down nobody said doing that made you an evil person that is just nonsensical crazy talk, people are just advising you not to talk about mods on the forums regardless of the effects they have and even if they only effect you personally. Its probably unlikely but that sort of thing could get you banned so best to play it safe right?


    Nah, i disabled all the mods, i don't trust you guys.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    Nah, i disabled all the mods, i don't trust you guys.

    That was a good move ;)​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 15,980 Arc User
    Pay close attention to what Todd Howard says at the beginning of the video and maybe, watch the rest of it.

    I listened to what he said, what's your point? Mods were going to be supported via private servers, which aren't implemented yet.​​
Sign In or Register to comment.