test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why bother with Laser Sword when Single Blade can do more for less?

wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
The question is in the title.

Inversely, you can tell me why I could favor Laser Sword over Single Blade, if you're inclined to do so.

Comments

• lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Lol

wut

In order to maximize SB DPS you have to do a really wonky rotation.

Laser Sword rotation is the most boring and impossible to screw rotation ever.

1) Drop a Circle of Arcane Power
    2) Lightspeed Strike w/Particle Aceleration combo into 5 stacks of Plasma Burn (or just 1 combo and Meltdown)
    3) Full Charge spam Luminescent Slash r2 w/End of The Line
    4) Every 5th Luminescent Slash or so tap Lightwave Slash w/Burn Bright and Light Mend to refresh Plasma Burn and Radiation

With the right Specs and Mods that's the easiest 10k DPS you can make​​
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Why use Enrage when Focus is far better? Why use Str when Dex is far better?

The answer to these are fairly simple.

Because they want to.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Cuz they're fucking LASER SWORDS!?. Who wants a bent and shaped piece of metal, when you can have a Plasma or lazer sword?

Unless your a weeaboo and think "giant swords are king" then the door is behind you
    Psi.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    If you think "single blade does more for less" then I bet you're not even doing as much damage with it as you potentially could because it certainly shouldn't feel like you're doing less than you would be with Laser Sword. I have a single blade character and a laser sword character, and I can confirm what lezard says. They can both achieve peak dps, the only real difference between them is the rate at which that damage comes out. Laser Sword is going to be putting out a constant level of dps, while Single Blade has long periods of lower dps with a huge spike at the end. This also means that Laser Sword is easier to use, while Single Blade becomes more difficult to use optimally in situations where you have to interrupt your rotation a lot. In exchange for being more difficult, Single Blade has that huge spike which can be used to great effect.

Of course the real answer to your question is: Because the character you want to make uses a laser sword. On the other hand if you don't have an image of your character in mind and you just want whichever power is better, then you'll have to weigh all the stuff I said and decide that for yourself. The sets are pretty even.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    To add to what Foxi said, SB is a gambler DPS.

Your Bleeds might all proc and your RE might crit leading to a humongous burst spike

or

Only 1 or 2 Bleeds proc and RE doesn't crit which leads to smol spike.

On a parser over 10 or so mins both LS and SB average around the same, but on small windows of time LS deals a more constant DPS whereas SB is all over the place​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    cryneting wrote: »
    Cuz they're fucking LASER SWORDS!?. Who wants a bent and shaped piece of metal, when you can have a Plasma or lazer sword?

Unless your a weeaboo and think "giant swords are king" then the door is behind you

A lazer sword user calling a giant sword user a weeb is an oxymoron
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    I love the quick speed of laser sword attacks, it’s very different than any other melee set.

On my eido parse yesterday i had an average of .45 seconds between my attacks. It’s a very unique play style that has an extremely high performance ceiling. I also enjoy the energy management it requires.
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Cuz they're fucking LASER SWORDS!?. Who wants a bent and shaped piece of metal, when you can have a Plasma or lazer sword?

There are far more examples of superheroes in western comic books using swords than laser swords. There is no door.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • cryneting wrote: »

There are far more examples of superheroes in western comic books using swords than laser swords. There is no door.

I shell make the door for you, Har har!

But yes, lazer swords all the way!
    Psi.
  • xcelsior41 wrote: »

A lazer sword user calling a giant sword user a weeb is an oxymoron

Mhahhahahahah
    Psi.
    ya anime is so full of laser swords and totally not giant swords o3o also samurai were known for their light sabers, which were folded one thousand times.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    ya anime is so full of laser swords and totally not giant swords o3o also samurai were known for their light sabers, which were folded one thousand times.​​

I think if either calls eachother a weeb...well, actually scratch that, if MOST people i've seen in rencen call anyone a weeb I suggest a mirror :tongue:
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Star Wars fans are weebs confirmed o3o​​

Kinda? They DO have an anime.

42 40s, LTSer.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Totally not Jedi....
    Two of those are TK blades tho. Now let's list the hundreds of thousands of anime with giant metal swords and katanas :D​​
    qyVBegc.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Hell happen to her nose
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    My laser sword is made of solidified light folded and hammered a thousand times. Way more powerful than a hunk of metal ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Hell happen to her nose

Anime happened to it.

zrdRBy8.png
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    OK but Bishonen Chewie tho

L'Oréal, Because I Worth it
    tumblr_n7nsfeYFqF1qb8z52o2_500.pngtumblr_n7nsfeYFqF1qb8z52o3_500.png
    tumblr_n7nsfeYFqF1qb8z52o4_1280.png​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Did he break Hans nose ?
    Avi stop bringing your weird bara stuff into it D8<​​
  • zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    Recently I learned that the Laser Sword ... is actually really good. ANd the reason I haven't tried it before because the only things I heard about it were "lol it's sh*t", but that is not the case at all. Luminescent Slash is really fast to use and it deals good damage. Luminescent's fast charge and activation time makes it a pretty good contender with MA charges. I use Laser Sword with INT primary, DEX secondary (INT heavy). One thing might be annoying is that you need to apply Plasma Burn with something, so you can apply the Debuff, which is not really a problem when you take a look at the powers.

apply Plasma Burn + Particle Smash + Meltdown + Spam Luminescent Slash...(when debuff ends) + Particle Smash + Luminescent Slash

Sure way to apply Plasma Burn is Particle Wave. Cybernetic Tether is a bit slower and the chance is only 46% on tap.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    zemmax wrote: »
    Recently I learned that the Laser Sword ... is actually really good. ANd the reason I haven't tried it before because the only things I heard about it were "lol it's sh*t", but that is not the case at all. Luminescent Slash is really fast to use and it deals good damage. Luminescent's fast charge and activation time makes it a pretty good contender with MA charges. I use Laser Sword with INT primary, DEX secondary (INT heavy). One thing might be annoying is that you need to apply Plasma Burn with something, so you can apply the Debuff, which is not really a problem when you take a look at the powers.

apply Plasma Burn + Particle Smash + Meltdown + Spam Luminescent Slash...(when debuff ends) + Particle Smash + Luminescent Slash

Sure way to apply Plasma Burn is Particle Wave. Cybernetic Tether is a bit slower and the chance is only 46% on tap.
    The ultimate lazy approach is probably this:

Cybernetic Tether + Burn Bright + Radiate (Only need to tap it to apply Radiate)
    Luminescent Slash R2 + R3 or EotL (R3 lets you opt out of the energy level babysitting EotL requires for extra damage)

Probably not optimal though.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    I use Lightspeed Strike( Particle Acceleration ) to both apply Disintegrate and the first stack of Plasma Burn.

Then I use Cybernetic Tether( Radiate ) to apply the rest of the Plasma Burn stacks while I start spamming Lumi Slash.

I refresh Plasma Burn and Disintegrate with Lightwave Slash(Light Mend, Burn Bright ).​​