Comments

• chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    CO is next for lawsuit.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I dunno, handsome lawyer makes it sound like the suite isn't going anywhere o3o​​
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Notice that EVERYONE is joining the bandwagon of suing Fortnite over dances while completely ignoring any other game with the same dance emote

The answer is simply, because right now Fortine is so damn popular and commercially successful everyone wants a part of that SWEET SWEET Fortnite Cash money $$$

also HOW THE HELL CAN YOU COPYRIGHT DANCE MOVES?

Even the person who the created the Moth Lamp meme tried to sue Fortine because they recreated the picture with moth skin​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    More like Tortnight, amirite?

...who gonna get that pun o3o​​
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Pretty sure usage of the dance in Fortnite and any other game falls under fair use. It can be considered a parody.

Even if there are actual legal grounds for a lawsuit, the actor who played Carlton doesn't own the intellectual property that the dance is part of; Warner Bros. does. An actor saying that they own the copyright to a dance they did in a movie makes as much sense as Clint Eastwood owning the copyright to the famous line "You feel lucky punk?" and he gets to sue anyone referencing it. I'm not surprised if the case gets thrown out early.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Heh, I was wondering how long before someone else saw that. already watched it a few times.

2 Milly and Backpack Kid probably don't have valid copyright claims at all. The Carlton dance... As Legaleagle pointed out, the law seems to be written to protect theatrical productions, not "short routines". And the Carlton dance is almost certainly a short routine.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Like someone might as well try to copyright head banging, or twerking. That's about the same level of creativity and originality that carlton and backpack kid's "arm waving and some hip movement" things have.​​
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    If Michael Jackson (or his estate) never sued anyone for the umpteeentetrallion number of parody's and homages to the moonwalk or smooth criminal, doubtful this would fly.
    edited December 2018
    btw LegalEagle also does fun stuff on his channel like watch courtroom scenes from movies and TV shows and comment on them and how accurate they represent court room proceedings. His episodes where he reviews two court cases from Always Sunny In Philidelphia were particularly amusing. Plus he is just... so handsome o3o​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    If Michael Jackson (or his estate) never sued anyone for the umpteeentetrallion number of parody's and homages to the moonwalk or smooth criminal, doubtful this would fly.
    That's just it, DID MJ invent those or did he popularize them? To my knowledge the moonwalk was not actually his original idea.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters