test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which DirectX best for CO?

I currently use DirectX 12, and have been having hard crashes only about twice a day, and otherwise am able to run CO max with no lag/other issues besides the random crash, and figured it might actually be because of a directX issue.
Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.

Comments

• aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    DX11 is a bit more stable than DX9, in particular on big events. But when you run all settings on max, you're just going to run out of memory (CO can only use 2GB RAM+VRAM) at some point and CO will crash.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    How are you running in D3D12?
    CO has D3D9 and a halfway done D3D11.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    How are you running in D3D12?
    CO has D3D9 and a halfway done D3D11.

It's apparently what im operating on :confused:
    aiqa wrote: »
    DX11 is a bit more stable than DX9, in particular on big events. But when you run all settings on max, you're just going to run out of memory (CO can only use 2GB RAM+VRAM) at some point and CO will crash.

That's odd. regardless of how good/new the PC is?
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    xcelsior41 wrote: »

Yes. It's a CO issue not a computer issues. You can try improve it a bit with some settings, and by always restarting CO when changing characters, and restarting CO after every few big fights. But it will not be perfect until cryptic improves CO's memory management.

Also CO itself will not use DX12. It doesn't matter what your computer or operating system supports, CO is going to use DX9 or DX11. Which is perfectly normal, old games don't just go use DX12 automatically. And porting a game to DX12 isn't trivial at all.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    aiqa wrote: »
    xcelsior41 wrote: »

Yes. It's a CO issue not a computer issues. You can try improve it a bit with some settings, and by always restarting CO when changing characters, and restarting CO after every few big fights. But it will not be perfect until cryptic improves CO's memory management.

Also CO itself will not use DX12. It doesn't matter what your computer or operating system supports, CO is going to use DX9 or DX11. Which is perfectly normal, old games don't just go use DX12 automatically. And porting a game to DX12 isn't trivial at all.

Ahh I see. Well then, that's (slightly) good news in that it isn't my PC. The hard crash didn't happen yesterday, but I believe it's because I didn't do too much strenuous activity besides cosmics/Eido and a TA

42 40s, LTSer.