test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STDiscovery: Best foot forward?

therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
So I just found out that Season 1 of STD is available for purchase on Amazon now. As an old Trekkie who's perpetually locked in a co-dependent relationship with the franchise, I'd like to check it out. Any recommendations for a good "hook" episode or two?

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    It's a slow burn, developing its arc over the entire season. Tough to pick out a "hook" from that, honestly, which may be the problem some have had with it.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    please use protection

(i have no idea what std is and google is not helping)
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    bluhman wrote: »
    please use protection

(i have no idea what std is and google is not helping)

Star Trek Discovery. I find it humorous that that comes out as STD though. Tee hee! :3​​
  • therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's a slow burn, developing its arc over the entire season. Tough to pick out a "hook" from that, honestly, which may be the problem some have had with it.
    I figured it'd be less episodic and more arc development. Is the burn worth it, though? Or is it something you eventually have to get medication for?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Watch it from the 1st episode...
    No matter where you start, you'll hate the klingons...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Well, I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to Season Two.

There's a couple of "twists" you'll probably see coming a light-year off, but that's just the nature of TV-style writing, really.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    There was Star Trek VOY and ENT but this one is STD rather than DIS?? Fair I guess... since we also have TOS, TNG & DS9...

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    There was Star Trek VOY and ENT but this one is STD rather than DIS?? Fair I guess... since we also have TOS, TNG & DS9...
    The official seems to be DSC. STD is from people trying to be either funny or mean. I like Disco myself :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    beezeeze wrote: »
    STD is from people trying to be either funny or mean. I like Disco myself :p
    I just think it's funny that whoever's job it was to think about public perception decided to let that one through...

Anyway, I've got an Amazon gift card and seven days of forced vacation. No more excuses!
    therealted wrote: »
    STD is from people trying to be either funny or mean. I like Disco myself :p
    I just think it's funny that whoever's job it was to think about public perception decided to let that one through...

Anyway, I've got an Amazon gift card and seven days of forced vacation. No more excuses!
    Hehe, that's an interesting way to look at it. The problem is you assume there's someone who actually does that as a job. Of course they have PR people, but... Do the PR people actually sit around trying to think up mean things to say about the series? probably not.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I could understand if the acronym involved a subtle twist or obscure reference, or if there was a language issue, but in this case I'd say the acronym is right there for anyone to see. Kind of puts it in this category...
    Actually, it's only obvious if you choose to shorten it that way. But the marketing people for Star Trek haven't done that for over a decade.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Actually, it's only obvious if you choose to shorten it that way. But the marketing people for Star Trek haven't done that for over a decade.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

In any case, I'm enjoying the series so far - though I have to think of it as "'Star Trek' inspired" rather than a canon prequel. I guess I shouldn't wait for an explanation of why Klingons have placoderm teeth now...?
    therealted wrote: »
    I guess I shouldn't wait for an explanation of why Klingons have placoderm teeth now...?
    Given that the best "explanation" of the ridged heads was given by Worf in "Trials and Tribble-ations", and the attempt at a canon explanation was a muddled mess that only works if a major interstellar empire doesn't understand the concept of quarantine or disease-vector control, perhaps you shouldn't really want more of an explanation than Roddenberry's original line, "They always looked like this, we just couldn't afford to show it."