test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning - All My Gold Freeform Characters

So with monthly subscriptions gone, how do I unlock my gold freeform characters and make them playable again? I hate archtypes.

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Two options:

1) Go LTS. All your toons are Gold then.

2) Purchase Freeform slots (don't remember the cost on these, but they're less expensive than they used to be). You can then transfer the character into a Freeform slot.

Which of those works better for you depends on how many toons you have (if the total on the FF slots you'd need comes to less than an LTS, well, there you go), and on how badly you want that 500Z-per-month stipend. A lot of the other Gold bennies are available to you in the Premium Pack that's currently sitting in your C-Store - in the Bonus tab, I think. (Unless, of course, you've already claimed it.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    AnchoredMasculineHamadryad-size_restricted.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • lmcneil1202lmcneil1202 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Its like $50 gives you two characters which is ridiculous. I've been debating whether i really want to come back or not its so expensive. Its ridiculous they really need to bring back subscriptions. This game cost $50 when it came out like wtf should I have to pay $30 per character. I am getting angry all over again.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    This game cost $50 when it came out like wtf should I have to pay $30 per character.

The alternative is that the game shut down and there's nothing for you to come back to.​​
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    its 4500 zen to unlock 3 chrs, then you dont have to pay again EVER to play those 3, thats a better deal than subbing every month. You can unlock more if you want by using in game money (q to zen) but seriously you can happily play with 3 chrs. Also right now you can get 15% zen bonus on purchases.

Also every sub bonus except gold chrs are free for former subs by claiming the premium pack from the zen bonus tab

Finally you can play for free for ever for any number of archetype chrs.

Why do people keep complaining, guess they must not like a bargain.
  • sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Cryptic got railroaded into this decision. They've been trying to ease the burden buy selling more Freeform slots and adding that value pack. All you can do is buy Freeform slots while they are on sale.

You don't know how lucky you are if this is your first brush with the effects of communism.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    sannia1 wrote: »
    ...communism.

o_o
    Train+derailment_ff13aa_4431331.gif​​
    And a complete non sequitur, as well.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • daboss03daboss03 Posts: 4 Arc User
    its 4500 zen to unlock 3 chrs, then you dont have to pay again EVER to play those 3, thats a better deal than subbing every month. You can unlock more if you want by using in game money (q to zen) but seriously you can happily play with 3 chrs. Also right now you can get 15% zen bonus on purchases.

Also every sub bonus except gold chrs are free for former subs by claiming the premium pack from the zen bonus tab

Finally you can play for free for ever for any number of archetype chrs.

Why do people keep complaining, guess they must not like a bargain.

Some people like to create alts in games like this, when they get an idea for a powerset they want to play. That doesn't mean they want to delete the old character. It just means they will come back to it. it's called altitis. Now, you either have to pay for another slot or delete the one you had.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    This game cost $50 when it came out like wtf should I have to pay $30 per character.

The alternative is that the game shut down and there's nothing for you to come back to.​​
    No, the alternative is to reward players so they WANT to spend money on the game. This? This is petty from them, nothing more.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    If we all made winnie the pooh homage characters and called them Xi the game would be down in 24 hours ;)
    sannia1 wrote: »
    You don't know how lucky you are if this is your first brush with the effects of communism.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    No, the alternative is to reward players so they WANT to spend money on the game. This? This is petty from them, nothing more.
    The devs give me stuff in return for the money I paid them. :p that feels adequately rewarded.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    No, the alternative is to reward players so they WANT to spend money on the game.

They do that right now, so that wouldn't be an alternative.​​
    No, the alternative is to reward players so they WANT to spend money on the game.

If players(the players that are relevant to this topic, mind you) only have the option of spending money or not playing at all, they're definitely not getting rewarded.
    If players(the players that are relevant to this topic, mind you) only have the option of spending money or not playing at all, they're definitely not getting rewarded.

Well you started talking about players in general, so that's what I commented on. I made plenty of great suggestions about how they could reward long time subscribers at the time this was all going down. Here we are.​​
    Well you started talking about players in general, so that's what I commented on. I made plenty of great suggestions about how they could reward long time subscribers at the time this was all going down. Here we are.​​
    Apologies, I didn't think I needed to specify.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    How many people actually have that problem though? "can't play", to me, means you can't make any new characters, have no AT characters, and can't claim the bundle thingy from the z-store.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    Also if they subbed to play before they were payign to play anyway so no difference then to now - pay to play, although you have the option of playing for free with Ats, or playing a few chrs for less as well...
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The essence of "rewarding" is "if you give them money, you get your money's worth".
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Personally, I think cryptic should have awarded a couple of free FF slots to long term subscribers. I know I wasn't the only person who suggested that. But Cryptic did permanently slash the cost of FF slots. What I did was wait for FF slot sales and then bought FF slots for the characters I really wanted to play. I couldn't afford to buy 10 FF slots at once (even with a sale). But the sales occurred frequently enough, that I now have access to my favorite FF's again.

Also, AT's are not as bad as they used to be. The newer AT's are quite playable and a few of the older ones were revamped w/the power changes. Also, some folks still seem to be able to play using the old subscription time cards. I have no clue how they are doing this, but there's apparently a work around.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!