test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TP Advs Not Worth it?

circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
edited November 2018 in Power Discussion
So been toying around with the Advs from Super Speed and Athletics.

Versatility & Impact: Each seem to do the opposite of each other, but seem to be either broken or not explained quite well on how they work. Impact boosts your Physical damage when active, but quickly turns off when in combat (that don't make sense, as you'll be wanting to dart around if you have Melee builds)

The other seems to make you run quicker but gives no damage or damage reduction buffs

So am I missing something?
Psi.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Versatility can be okay. I'd just prioritize normal ranks cause they are only 1 pt and apply at all times the TP is on, vs. Versatility only applying if you've recently gotten hit. I can't really attest to Impact in PvE; I wouldn't find the cost worth it usually, but perhaps others have gotten some good mileage from it on mobile encounters or for openers.

Also, from some testing, apparently Impact doesn't work for R2 and R3 for Mach Speed? I guess that's a bug, cause it seems to be fine for Superspeed..
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Flippin can be something for min/maxing a Dodge build. Uhh... Otherwise, not many great choices. Most of the time all my points are wrapped up in making my other powers useful.

TP advs have never seen a balance pass and they likely never will, it's in kind of the same feature group as stuff like interaction nodes in interior maps that need 300+ crafting skill during a level 20 mission; it's been will fully ignored cause it's too much to try and fix for the benefit it'd give
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Versatility isn't terrible but usually not worth 2 advantage points. Impact only works if you're traveling at noncombat speed and attacking puts you at combat speed, so it usually doesn't do anything. Flippin' is an okay dodge buff, but most content where you'd care about the bonus turns off your travel powers, making it irrelevant. Earthen Embrace is not a large enough bonus to be worth the hassle of using it. I have no idea if Rebounding Resilience does anything useful, but hold resistance is usually marginal in value.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    The only one I've ever found useful is Versatility, and that was for PvP where other players have travel powers too. In PvE you're fast enough without it since NPCs don't have travel powers. These are all very old advantages that weren't even useful in their own time.​​
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    In most case I don't pick Advs for any travel powers unless few points left after build. TP R1 is nice.
    We don't need to hurry unless you are PvPer. o3o
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    If I have 2 points to **** around with, Versatility is fun, specially if you have Antagonize and/or Electric Siphon cause it allows you to go zoom zoom.​​
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Cheers fokes

Cuz I was thinking like TP having Advs whuold be ideal in their own right if they gave certain buffs/debuffs to them. for example

Flight: Can have a quite high Damage Reduction and some dodge (cuz being in the air, like say in XCOM games)

Super Speeds: Maybe not has the slow effect, when in combat (any ones that have elemental, fire.ice. etc, have a chance to proc)

Acrobatics/Athletics: Maybe buff in physical damage and dodge, or even healing?

just spitballing concepts
    Psi.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    BTW anyone here take adv. or rank up your e-builder? o3o
  • Options
    monaahiru wrote: »

I did one time when I first started playing the game on my first character o3o/​​
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »

I did one time when I first started playing the game on my first character o3o/​​

All of us goes toward wrong way at vewy first. o3o
  • Options

I do it, if I like the EU effects that R3 gives, but then I get slapped by Flow
    Psi.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    cryneting wrote: »

I do it, if I like the EU effects that R3 gives, but then I get slapped by Flow
    eh, why worry over a visual effect for something you won't be using :p
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Sometimes, I kind of want to so they look cooler, but 2 points per rank for something I'm generally only going to use for fun isn't worth it. :(
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User

Did this once... didn't see a real increase in damage output nor do I remember a visual improvement/change (though being a a melee nut that might be why...). Ended up caning the character and making another in their place. Never bothered ranking the e-builder since. Been tempted with a few of the booster advantages, but can never justify the Advantage Points for what is often a change occurrence for a rather limited time. Most fights these days my E-builder never even gets toggled on... barring a really bad run of luck where none of my, other, energy generating methods pop before my energy tank hits E.
  • Options
    This talk of energy builders makes me think to like... I dunno, a year ago? When people were going nuts about changes to powers and how they had to occasionally use their energy builders and how it was not fun and ruining the game and dooooooooooom and how people like me are horrible masochistic elitists for being willing to work with the changes and seeing them as good.

And here we are with none of that doom having happened. Seems like we always end up here despite all those impassioned claims that we won't. ^_^​​
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User

Only the Energy refraction on force bolts as it reduces the cost of a Force Cascade every time the bubble appears.

@Powerblast in game
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    cryneting wrote: »
    So been toying around with the Advs from Super Speed and Athletics.

Versatility & Impact: Each seem to do the opposite of each other, but seem to be either broken or not explained quite well on how they work. Impact boosts your Physical damage when active, but quickly turns off when in combat (that don't make sense, as you'll be wanting to dart around if you have Melee builds)

The other seems to make you run quicker but gives no damage or damage reduction buffs

So am I missing something?

Apparently the one for Superspeed was bugged and they fixed it... still not worth it probably ;)

• Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Putting any points in any TP even for r3 is a waste of points, that can be better placed somewhere else in the build. Use a device for travel, it's free points. And for the EB, if you ever need to touch it, then the build needs work. A proper build should never need to touch the EB at all.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    Giving up a device slot to save 2 advantage points seems questionable...​​
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Giving up a device slot to save 2 advantage points seems questionable...​​
    Well, you can always have your travel build and your fighting build.