test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Size and Mass manipulation powers

Hello. I’m Subesan; a fairly new lifer. I’ve done some digging and seen both the love and hate for some players’ obsession with growth effects and larger characters. While the new magnifiers on ptr are a nice gesture, it’s, quite frankly (imo), dull compared to what players use to be able to do. Granted, the growth-obsessed were the source of large (pardon the pun) problems, such as ‘cosmic blocking’ with what they were able to do. But the nerf to it destroyed legit character concepts. Sure you can double in size but WE are *heroes*; some people loved completely dominating an enemy with their enhanced size and strength (as they see done by their favorite comic-style heroes). Even if it was temporary, it was fun and unique aspect distinguished the game from the multitude of mmos in the market, quite literally; only a handful of mmos allow the player to increase their size at will and play the game. It is usually under extremely tight and limited conditions for any mod scale to be allowed.

Firstly: Allow players to have a option to not see larger/smaller characters at all; I suggest tying this into the Fun Nullifier.

The overall challenges of size in games: The most common argument I hear is that it's hard to play; this solely depends on the engine. CO can (and has) handled “oversized” characters well despite some technical issues. A simple solution for this is to have the players camera scroll back depending on size; the command already exists in the game.

A harder, more involved, solution is to have the game detect the player’s size in accordance to the set boundaries (mainly the roof of the map) and dynamically have the character’s size change based on that. This would also mean stopping and undoing size increases while inside a small room.

All of this should be limited to max stacked Enrage at World bosses.

With that said, I come to a suggestion I would like to present, after going through the Hero games PDF, a power set or additional powers under the Brick Tree that allows players to grow to large (or shrink to small) sizes in both combat and general roleplay.

Travel Power
Giant Stride. ( Superspeed skin)

Tap
  • Greatly increases your run speed and size
  • While out of combat, your run speed and size will increase over several stages
  • While in combat, your run speed and size is reduced, but still greater than the default.
  • You chance to Dodge attacks is greatly reduced.
  • While active, the energy cost of all powers is increased

Charge
  • When fully charged, Giant Stride activates at maximum run speed and size.

Advantage
Big Time
  • You no longer immediately lose your size when this travel power is lost, instead you Retain your current maximum size for 5 seconds before slowly scaling down to match your corrected size.

Giant Characters usually have more Move Speed due to their Size. Basically Super Speed, but your character is effectively power walking.

Mechanically speaking, this shouldn’t be too hard to implement. The advantage of mini dive would work well here for the scale down. I believe the most challenging aspect is scaling the character up and having the animations play correctly.

Microflight (flight skin)

Tap
Grants flight
  • Greatest maneuverability of any flight power
  • While out of combat, flight speed gradually increases over several stages as well as your characters size is reduced.
  • While in combat, flight speed is reduced
  • While active, the energy cost of all powers is increased

Charge
  • When fully charged you enter flight at maximum flight speed and size.

Mechanically speaking, this should be the easiest ability to implement. The character becomes Tiny and flies. I understand there could be concerns in PvP, since small characters in any game is a method to avoid getting targeted.

Punt

Description
Brick - Tier 1
Melee AoE Damage - Knock
15 feet; 120 degree Cone
30 feet; 120 degree Cone

Effects
Tap
  • Deals Crushing damage to targets in front of you.
  • Knocks Back all targets.
  • Deals increased damage versus enemies that are immune to Knock Back, such as bosses.
  • Charge
  • Increases damage, Knock Back, and energy cost of the Tap effect.
  • If charged more than 50%, While Enraged. The Range is also increased.

Advantages
Challenging Strikes
  • This advantage increases the threat caused by this attack against all affected targets, making them more likely to attack you.
  • If this advantage is applied to a power that has a recharge time, it will additionally add a moderate amount of threat over time to all affected targets, for the duration of the recharge.
  • This advantage inflicts a 5% damage debuff against all affected targets. If an affected enemy attacks you, it will quickly reduce this debuff's strength. Conversely, any damage you inflict restores the debuff's strength.
Field Goal
  • On Full Charge hits ( Villains and below ) that have 20% hp or less are out right defeated. Enemies that are Immune to Knock effects take significantly increased damage.

Mechanically speaking: Functions like Roomsweeper.

Massive

Description
Brick - Tier 2
Slotted Offensive Passive

Effects
Slotted Passive
  • Can be slotted in an Offensive or Balanced passive power slot.
  • Increases all of your Physical Melee Damage (Piercing, Slashing) and all Crushing damage. This increase scales with your Super Stats.
  • Increases the Strength and Constitution characteristics and size. This increase scales with your Super Stats.
  • Provides a Light amount of damage resistance. This effect scales with your Super Stats and is greater in Balanced role.
  • Increases Knock Resistance. This effect scales with your Super Stats.
  • Generates a small amount of energy when you Knock an opponent. This effect scales with your Recovery.
  • Greatly Reduces your ability to Dodge attacks.
  • Cannot be placed in stealth ( treath wipes work normally)
  • Size bonus can be stacked with Enrage, Giant stride and Super magnifier.

Reading from the Hero games PDF, Growth power gives the player Strength and Body ( Constitution in this game ) while reducing their Ability to dodge, gives everyone a bonus to Spot that player, while increasing their durability, cost to maintain powers and Knockback resistance. Difficult, to say the least; I don't believe any passive increases the Cost of powers.

Mechanically speaking: A moderate versions of AoPM and Invulnerability with downsides due to size. I believe this fulfills the that fantasy of having a giant character.

Mass Compaction
Description
Brick - Tier 1
Slotted Defensive Passive

Effects
Slotted Passive
  • Can be slotted in a Defensive or Balanced passive power slot.
  • Provides damage resistance versus all attacks. This resistance scales with your Constitution.
  • Each time you are hit by an attack you gain a stackable Mass Compaction buff for 20 seconds, up to 6 stacks.
  • At Six Stacks you gain Density Shift, for 6 seconds you cause all attacks to Miss.
  • Density Shift prevents new Mass Compaction from being applied while active and for 12 seconds after.
  • The amount of defense granted by the Mass Compaction buff scales with your Constitution.
  • Each time you are hit by an attack you gain a small amount of Energy scaling with your Constitution.
  • Mass Compaction can only occur once every 4 seconds.

Advantages

Shrinking Dodge
  • You character now Shrinks with each stack of Mass Compaction.

Mechanically speaking: This is Defence with it’s own Uncontrollable AD built in, It takes 20 seconds to gain Density shift for the first time 18 seconds no Mass Compaction stacks. 38 seconds total in you can gain another stack of Mass Compaction and at 58 seconds the player has another Density shift and every 42 seconds after the player gain another shift. Roughly 1/2 the cooldown of a normal AD with ½ the duration.

Smash

Description
Might - Tier 2
Melee Damage - Knock Down
10 feet
10 feet, 15 foot Sphere

Effects
Tap
  • Single target Crushing damage.

Charge
  • Increases damage, Knock Down and Energy cost of the Tap effect.
  • Using a fully charged Smash on a target hits the area around the target.

Advantages
Crushed
  • Enemies that are Immune to Knockback effects take significantly increased damage.

Crippling Challenge
  • Increases the threat caused by this attack, making enemies more likely to attack you.
  • Places a 20% damage debuff on the target that persists for 15 seconds. If the affected enemy attacks the taunter, it will quickly reduce this debuff's strength. Conversely, damage the taunter inflicts on the taunted enemy restores the debuff's strength.
  • This advantage Taunts an AI controlled enemy, forcing them to attack you for 4 seconds. All taunts share a 10 second cooldown, and an enemy that has been taunted by any source cannot be taunted again for 10 seconds.
  • Crippling Challenge breaks through blocking and disables it for 10 seconds.

Mechanically speaking: This would use the same Animations / sounds as the Mega destroyer’s Autos.

Swat

Description
Might - Tier 3
Ranged AoE Damage - Knock Down, Snare
50 feet; 90 degree arc
100 feet; 120 degree arc Max:

Effects
Charge
  • Deals crushing damage to targets in front of you.
  • All targets are Knocked Down.
  • Snares all targets, reducing their movement speed for a short time.
  • The range and arc are increased based on your current size.
  • Must be Fully charged.
Advantages

Vacuum:
  • Instead of knocking the target Down, you now Draw them in

Challenging Strikes
  • This advantage increases the threat caused by this attack against all affected targets, making them more likely to attack you.
  • If this advantage is applied to a power that has a recharge time, it will additionally add a moderate amount of threat over time to all affected targets, for the duration of the recharge.
  • This advantage inflicts a 5% damage debuff against all affected targets. If an affected enemy attacks you, it will quickly reduce this debuff's strength. Conversely, any damage you inflict restores the debuff's strength.

Nailed to the Ground
  • Cancels and locks out travel powers for a short period of time.

Rage unending:

Description
Might - Tier 3
Active Defense

Effects
  • Cannot be brought below 1 hp.
  • If you were to be defeated you gain, “Last stand.” Buff
  • While last stand is active 15% of Damage Dealt will heal you over time this effect stacks.
  • While last stand is active Taking damage will apply enrage
  • Can be used while Held.
  • 15 second duration.
  • 90 second Cooldown.
  • This power is considered to be an Active Defense Activating this power imposes a 30 second cooldown on all other Active Defenses.
Advantages

Limit Break.
  • Enrage can be applied every .5 seconds for the duration of Last stand. Enrage stack limit is doubled for the duration of the Rage unending. All Enrage stacks are lost after the duration is over. For 15 seconds after You can not gain any stacks of enrage from any source.

Comments

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    I've always loved giant growth toons, I think I have 3 or 4 myself, but now they no longer function because the Devs said it was bad for some reason. A lot of cool things get taken away in this way. I'd love to see giant growth and super shrinking character back in the game someday but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • subesan#3467 subesan Posts: 15 Arc User
    guyhumual wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah, it just not fair for the Legit Characters. I would like to see my suggestions incorporated in some form at the least.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Yeah, it just not fair for the Legit Characters. I would like to see my suggestions incorporated in some form at the least

Please elaborate on what you mean by "Legit Characters". Thank you.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Snip

Please elaborate on what you mean by "Legit Characters". Thank you.​​

Sure, Thing. I believe legitimate character are the players that used enrage and mini drive in Non-Exploitative manner. Theses players had no intention in causing grief or drama toward others and were only using the mechanics given to them to fulfill the Characters role nor did they stack every item or bug effect in game to grow their character as large as a possible.

Some people just had fun with their giant characters.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 970 Arc User
    I just saw that you took a really big time suggesting these, so I'ma drop my opinion on this
    it's really obvious that I do like the concept, and I would support anything that helps to get this fun in the game again, because yeah, I have "Legit Characters" as well, I used it because is fun to play as a giant, and some of my chars are just that tall, it's fun and I did not mean to grief with these

that said, your suggestion should at least be heard and make devs think about it, I wouldn't ask them to implement them exactly as this, but if they give us anything that could give players the option to have fun again with this thematic without others crying about giants blocking the way and at the same time being friendly with open missions and team content. I'm thankful for the new magnifiers/shrinkers, but if you give us more options, hey I wouldn't complain at all​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    guys

really

guys

dont​​
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Microflight (flight skin)

Tap
    Grants flight
    Greatest maneuverability of any flight power
    While out of combat, flight speed gradually increases over several stages as well as your characters size is reduced.
    While in combat, flight speed is reduced
    While active, the energy cost of all powers is increased

Charge
    When fully charged you enter flight at maximum flight speed and size.

Mechanically speaking, this should be the easiest ability to implement. The character becomes Tiny and flies. I understand there could be concerns in PvP, since small characters in any game is a method to avoid getting targeted.

Personally, this is something I'd love to see.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Don't the new, personal magnifiers remain active during combat?​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    naciiito wrote: »
    Your suggestion should at least be heard and make devs think about it, I wouldn't ask them to implement them exactly as this, but if they give us anything that could give players the option to have fun again with this thematic without others crying about giants blocking the way

This is all i want. I agree i wouldn't implement them as is being largely pulled form a Pdf.
    warcanch wrote: »
    Yes, But they are Self only. A very nice jester on the Dev part. But and this is part that Kills it for most. Why dose my super hero have to pretend to be giant?
    edited November 2018
    warcanch wrote: »
    Yes, But they are Self only. A very nice jester on the Dev part. But and this is part that Kills it for most. Why dose my super hero have to pretend to be giant?

Because mechanically it's probably challenging to have giant characters turn up to fights alongside a bunch of other effects going on that players actually need to pay attention to rather than seeing your character's large foot, leg or bottom moving around on screen?

Players have coped with not being able to be super small or super giant in combat for a while now.

When you play, the game mostly matters from your perception and PoV, not everyone elses.

I think the self portions are probably great for combat situations because you can fulfill that fantasy without aggravating others...and when you want to take group photos or screenies outside of combat...pop a regular non combat version on.

Simple.

If you are overly conscious of other people having to know when your character is giant...then I think that's another issue altogether.

Personally, as someone who has wanted super shrinking in combat for ages...once a super shrinker version comes out for self...I'm grabbing it, because as long as I'm super tiny...I don't care what other people might see.

Because mechanically it's probably challenging to have giant characters turn up to fights alongside a bunch of other effects going on that players actually need to pay attention to rather than seeing your character's large foot, leg or bottom moving around on screen?
    Snip
    Firstly: Allow players to have a option to not see larger/smaller characters at all; I suggest tying this into the Fun Nullifier.
    Snip
    All of this should be limited to max stacked Enrage at World bosses.
    Snip

Everything is Mechanically challenging, A large character would have to have their Cam pulled (a command already in game.) have collision updated ( which the game kinda dose.) and Have their Fov update to match the size (again a command the game.)

I know more work would need to go into this, like any other power.
    When you play, the game mostly matters from your perception and PoV, not everyone elses.

That is solely on the player Some want to be seen. My grow-y character is large so she should be presented as such. If it bothers them let them turn the effect off.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Hello. I’m Gigabear; a fairly old troll. I’ve created an alt account for the sole purpose of requesting more growth effect bs.

It's easy to tell that you are Gigittybear, because of.. Identical: Text formatting, grammar, punctuation, overly cocky attitude, wannabe smartassery, level of delusion.

Nice try, though.
    That is solely on the player Some want to be seen. My grow-y character is large so she should be presented as such. If it bothers them let them turn the effect off.

If your character is so large that she needs to be seen...simply ignore your 'Theory of Mind' abilities and imagine everyone else can see what you can. Problem solved.

It should only matter to YOUR eyes, because that is the main source of input for seeing giant/tiny characters.

Unless you play in a room with other people who also play CO and need constant validation that your character is large?

It is simply problematic to implement what you are suggesting. And because of this, Devs have made a suitable change.

Granted, it's a change which has caused a small number of people to become annoyed, but there are rarely any changes which are fundamentally accepted by all.

In fact, the fact that the Devs have considered this issue and have provided a clear alternative, which actually trumps the current magnification devices (since it works in combat) should suffice.

If it doesn't...that's unfortunate for you.

Snip

I have no idea who that is, but I've been accused of being this person before. You didn't bother to read the post at all I've advocating for both growth and shrink but you were ready to accuse me of something for liking Something that this person also liked.

It very small minded of you. Thank you for adding your bias.

I would like to get this straight. I purposely left out the size values on both growth and shrink So the people would use their imaginations and few seem to have jumped to this conclusion that I am this person for simply liking larger characters.
    snip

While I get what you are saying. The 2.5 Mag works fairly well Imho. I believe that the choice should not have been taken away form the players that have the concept of a larger character. But given to the other players to allow them to see what they wanna see. I believe the screen shake on some powers should be also be turned off at the players choice. I like to be able to turn off some auras and sounds that players use too.

I see your still trying to say that it was a problem and i should just get over it. No. That's why I read through the Hero games Pdf to see to come up with suggestions.

That's why i would like them to implement in a why that's not cancerous and Annoying, I think the current solution goes against the spirit of the game, about being the hero you want to be. It goes a-little further than just "I need a larger character pay attention to me XD!"

If it truly hurt the game than why in the Kitchen sink patch so many years ago was it deemed fine. When it was a "issue" than For the players that have playing the game with character concepts that were size changing for years just to have it taken away, sucks.

What is problematic, are things like AoRP potentially basically disabling block on world bosses. ( I cant confirm this as I don't play tank but it what I'm hearing.)

Again! the magnifiers on Pts are a nice jester, ultimately i am happy with it. It just not satisfying to use and Fell that my Super hero has to pretend she a large person. Maybe if they became Self only in combat, and pulled the cam back on use id be a little happier.

On a personal note i hope they have shrink-er versions at some point.
  • ph0toncann0nph0toncann0n Posts: 113 Community Moderator
    It very small minded of you. Thank you for adding your bias.

Here's a major tip and a bit of a test: If you really want to put forth an idea that interests you, that you are passionate about, then don't carry on banter or respond to it. There's absolutely no way you won't be compared to someone else on this topic; heck I still am convinced you are an alt account, but I'm providing some advice because I'm freakin' odd like that. You've put work into this idea you've come up with; stick behind it. Don't go looking for trouble. You've made a statement for your concept and that's all that has to happen. Responding to the banter will both derail your powerset topic and further justify everyone's suspicions.

Stop commenting on the banter. Give us your point. Debate. It's for the sake of your suggestion.​​
    || Champion since Sept. of 2012 ||
    uD82dqy.png
    Endgame PvE - DPS Addict - Mature Roleplayer - Spectre - Storywriter - Perk Hunter - Altoholic - D.I.S.C.O.R.D.
    Engel auf der Hölle | Death Excell | Ebon Carcass | Orb Weaver Von Deo | Peridot
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    THAT person got banned from yet another MMO (Ashes of Creation) and got muted in ANOTHER MMO's forum (WoW).

Immediately after those events, you show up, claim to be a new player that just became a lifetime and yet posses copious amounts on mechanics now removed that in no way you could infer from reading patch notes or talking with your average player. No, that is knowledge that you could only have from actually using those powers in a knowledgeable way.

ONE DAY after this topic pops up, THAT person shows up ingame and makes a twitter post about being ingame and ready to stir some more crap up.

Do not let your narcissitic arrogance delude you into thinking you are smart enough to deceive anyone here. As soon as this topic came up a lot of people realised what was up and came here to greet you with a shut door. The forum mods deleted those posts because they know how volatile you are and want to avoid you stirring any more drama. But as your twitter posts indicate this is still your intent regardless of anything.

The doors are closed for you both here, and from the looks of it, in the communities of 2 other MMOs.

If you want to pretend you are someone else, then at least accompany that by a change in your behaviour. Who knows. Maybe people will react more positively to you that way.​​
    edited November 2018
    If you really want to put forth an idea that interests you, that you are passionate about, then don't carry on banter or respond to it. There's absolutely no way you won't be compared to someone else on this topic; heck I still am convinced you are an alt account.

Stop commenting on the banter. Give us your point. Debate. It's for the sake of your suggestion.​​
    ​​

I made an argument in the post below it. While you are correct and I should not comment on banter. I personally feel its Rude to ignore comments made in your own thread. (boy, I am gonna eat these words in the next post.) Anyway, Feed me a reason to debate. Provide me your Pov and I'll respond. I would love to say on topic.

lezard21 wrote: »
    Snip​​

Jesus Christ is that the person I'm being compared too.... I see you did your research. You either did a quick goggle search or follow this person around. Honestly I don't care either way, But i will agree with you on this. Just the links you provided and looking past Discord post size stacking was removed for a Good Reason. I will still argue for it to be re-implemented with Shrinking Powers.

At the very least I can understand your hostility and frankly rudeness toward me.

As soon as the topic can up, you ( and others ) did mental gymnastics and 4 - 5 negative post is what got it scrubbed.

I honestly don't believe I come off as that. The only thing the two of us have in common are that we both like Large characters, His entire profile is centered looks to be around it. But that's literately it. I would like to have small characters also.

I never really considered myself a smart person, I don't have a reason to device anyone and it seems the burden of proof to prove I'm anyone else but this guy has fallen on me. How dose one Do this over the internet. I suppose a Mod can look at the Two accounts IP, posting locations and billing. (Which I give permission to do.) and post anything overlaps.

i think my only question is, Why would a person with a 3.2K online following have to pretend to be someone else while posting on their main account?

Here's my accounts to compare. I changed the Tag line under my name to today's date to prove this is my account In order to do a name change Over DA you need Core membership and can only be done once ever 6 months. That account is 10 years old. This is just a screen shot of the account stats not the account itself.

But I don't this will be satisfactory for you.

The links were modded out. Id like to add they they were snips of screen shots of my accounts not links to the account.
    Post edited by subesan#3467 on
    edited November 2018
    Looking at your power suggestions, the "cannot be brought below 1 HP" on Rage Unending I cannot see getting a pass. There are certain things in this game, such as TA Medusa, where if you messed up, your team is wiped out. There are not other powers which work in this way. It would be such as exclusive ability that no other power from any powerset has, that I cannot see the devs permitting such crazy effects. Being defeated in most endgame content is also supposed to be a sort of punishment system--When you are defeated, it makes you look at what you did wrong, and check out how to correct it. You won't learn the hard way if you're given an easy way out.

Another thing was the power which makes the enemy also grow larger or smaller. This for a fact cannot fly at Cosmics, due to terrain and Cosmics' hitboxes. Positioning at Cosmics is extremely important; if the entity's size and hitbox are affected then it would throw things out of balance.

(EDIT: Realized they could make this one just not have that affect applicable to Cosmic-tier entities.)

These are the only two things which stand out to me from first glance as things which I do not see happening. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer!​​
    uD82dqy.png
    Endgame PvE - DPS Addict - Mature Roleplayer - Spectre - Storywriter - Perk Hunter - Altoholic - D.I.S.C.O.R.D.
    Engel auf der Hölle | Death Excell | Ebon Carcass | Orb Weaver Von Deo | Peridot
    Snips!​​

Rage Unending: Yeap is nuts, I admit it! It was just something off the top of my head. My reasoning is that i play alot of tanks in other games and this was an oh shat button. But, thinking about it and seeing how the game works, it's an abusive ability since Everyone could use it. Its an ingnore mechanic "button" that doesn't have a place. But seeing master of mind ability id love to retool that for an Might Ultimate. Maybe I'll draft one up later.

In it's defense, however, I think might needs it's own AD.

I don't have a power drafted that affects enemies scale. Never thought of one, It may be a typo on my part.
    I don't have a power drafted that affects enemies scale. Never thought of one, It may be a typo on my part.

Oh oof, I think I criss-crossed my topics. There is a thread similar to yours that I was also checking out. That's my fault, I'm sorry onion-67.gif

But--while we're on the topic of changing enemy size--There were some powers in-game that allowed you to affect lesser enemies' sizes. It would be interesting to see that spread into another powerset.

I do agree that Might needs some sort of AD. Tbf, a lot of powersets need a fixed-up AD worth using or a new one altogether, I'd love to see a new one for Might go through. Perhaps something on scale with Defiance's ability to build up resistance the more you are attacked (and gain stacks), but on a smaller scale.​​
    uD82dqy.png
    Oh oof, I think I criss-crossed my topics. There is a thread similar to yours that I was also checking out. That's my fault, I'm sorry onion-67.gif

It's all good.
    But--while we're on the topic of changing enemy size--There were some powers in-game that allowed you to affect lesser enemies' sizes. It would be interesting to see that spread into another powerset.

That would be awesome to see. Maybe even a entire Set that de-buffs, removes buffs, maybe even reduce stacks on a target, prevent the target for gaining stacks of a buff and provide areas where damage is reduced while keeping a theme that can reduce the targets size.