test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP Stan

Excelsior, dad. Without you, there'd be no City of Heroes, no Champions, no Champions Online, no Marvel movies. Thank you for your gifts.
/CanadaBanner4.jpg

Comments

• mawaynemawayne Posts: 82 Arc User
    Excelsior, Stan! You lived to see your creations inspire new generations of fans across the globe.

I always make sure to point Stan out to my 9 year old whenever he makes a cameo in the movies. "That's the guy who..."
    Goodbye Stan, you really were a Superhero.
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2018
  • royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 165 Arc User
    I hope they forever continue to CGI him into every movie Marvel makes until the end of time. Farewell, Mr. Lee.
  • U8oi07c.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlA1vDJbOgc

Devs gotta make a tribute post about this soon.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Unfortunate that he passed away so close to seeing the culmation of the cinematic universe his comics created. The man will always be a legend. RIP
    royalflvsh wrote: »
    I hope they forever continue to CGI him into every movie Marvel makes until the end of time. Farewell, Mr. Lee.

I don't know wether it was a joke or not, but a couple of articles a few years ago claimed he had shot his cameos ahead of time for all the movies in the lineup in the eventuality that he passed away.​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I was wondering if they had filmed his scene for the next Avengers film. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    lezard21 wrote: »
    I don't know wether it was a joke or not, but a couple of articles a few years ago claimed he had shot his cameos ahead of time for all the movies in the lineup in the eventuality that he passed away.​​

I wonder if CO will do anything to commemorate his passing?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I knew he wouldn't live much after his wife Joanie passed. :(

Stan Lee lived a long, rich life full of love and fun, and left a legacy of bringing joy to millions. What more could anyone ask?
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Avengers movies were filmed concurrently, so I'd assume his cameo is in the can already.

He and his crew were a big inspiration to my friend and I. Kinda started collecting and redistributing comics at age 5 while we were in Germany. Got hooked about 5 years later, when I could buy some of my own. Lost the bug in the early 90s and then lost my collection. Damn glad when we finally started getting GOOD Marvel comics movies. Thanks, Stan, Jack, and Steve.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • brasston2501brasston2501 Posts: 45 Arc User
    I met my wife in an X-men themed RP chatroom online 16 years ago. We met, courted, and fell in love immersed in the universe of his mutants. We carried over to playing City of Heroes together, then transitioned to Champions when it shut down thanks to our love of comic books and the worlds Stan imagined.

Our first child together is named after an X-men character..

Without Stan Lee and his creations I would have never met the woman who became my wife. I would quite literally not be the man, the husband, or the father that I am today.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I was wondering if they had filmed his scene for the next Avengers film. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

CO better do something for him.
    edited November 2018

God, I hope so, and something major! Stan the Man was Superheroes - him and Jack Kirby brought the Comics alive for me. I was a very, very shy kid and a stutter and so did not have many friends.

So for me, Comics where some of my only friends (along with my books) now at 58yrs old I look back on those times and wonder how I made though the harassment of school.

It was comics and books, Stan showed me, even if you was a skinny kid you could do anything you set your mind too, even if you did not have the power of a Spider.

Just think of the Comic Heroes that came about under his lead, and think how many Spiderman - like Characters you have seen in game. Or the Hulk, Ironman, etc..

So yes PLEASE do something in game for Stan the Man Lee.

Excelsior!
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »

Stan Lee lived a long, rich life full of love and fun, and left a legacy of bringing joy to millions. What more could anyone ask?
    I am more amazed that he lasted this long, 95 years is well above the average lifespan.

It is sad that he died, but he also got to live a long and eventful life. And he got to see the comic book universe he helped create expand into a very successful series of solid movies.
    bulgarex wrote: »

I am more amazed that he lasted this long, 95 years is well above the average lifespan.

It is sad that he died, but he also got to live a long and eventful life. And he got to see the comic book universe he helped create expand into a very successful series of solid movies.

Well that part does not amaze me, since I come from a family that lives a long time, my own Father made it to 92yrs young. What always amaze me was how open he was to his fans at Comic-Cons. While I never to got to meet him, I did one time meet Gary Gygax at a gaming convention years ago.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    The father of modern mythology.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    finnish-excelsior.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Excelsior, dad. Without you, there'd be no City of Heroes, no Champions, no Champions Online, no Marvel movies. Thank you for your gifts.

While Stan was huge, an incredible driving force in comic narrative, he didn't build the superhero genre. I think what Stan did was bring the genre to a greater audience. Before Stan I think comics were mostly seen as something for kids, but Stan made comics that interested teens and young adults. Later in life he became a face for the industry and that's something we no longer have. I'm sure there would have been a City of Heroes, a Champions RPG, a Champions Online without Stan, however there may not have been as great of an audience without him, and certainly there is no doubt that Marvel comics wouldn't be anywhere near the level of popularity it now enjoys without his genius and drive behind it. He is the father of modern comics. He didn't invent superheros but he helped make them far more popular than they'd ever been.

Excelsior
    guyhumual wrote: »

While Stan was huge, an incredible driving force in comic narrative, he didn't build the superhero genre. I think what Stan did was bring the genre to a greater audience. Before Stan I think comics were mostly seen as something for kids, but Stan made comics that interested teens and young adults. Later in life he became a face for the industry and that's something we no longer have. I'm sure there would have been a City of Heroes, a Champions RPG, a Champions Online without Stan, however there may not have been as great of an audience without him, and certainly there is no doubt that Marvel comics wouldn't be anywhere near the level of popularity it now enjoys without his genius and drive behind it. He is the father of modern comics. He didn't invent superheros but he helped make them far more popular than they'd ever been.

Excelsior

Well I can see what you are saying, and I agree with most of it. And Stan did put a face on comics, I know there was other greats - Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Jerry Robinson, Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and so many more.

But Stan just seemed more approachable? I guess.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    But Stan was probably the last of the people who created comics during the Golden Age of the 1940s. His career spanned practically the entire superhero era, from pulpy dime books to billion-dollar movies.

He also gave all us nerdy guys hope that we might one day win a girl like this.

180538.331154-Joan-Lee.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I was wondering if they had filmed his scene for the next Avengers film.
    Upcoming cameos have been confirmed for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4; Spider-Man: Far From Home is unknown, X-Men: Dark Phoenix is a confirmed no. Most likely Avengers 4 will be his last cameo.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Stan Lee...RIP.

My first introduction to superheroes was Fantastic Four and then X Men...all those years ago...urgh, my heart broke a little when I heard the news this morning. :cry:

As for CO, I'd like to see an NPC who stands outside a comic book store in game...dedicated to Stan Lee, perhaps?

Similar to Dancing Bowie in Vibora Bay
    Stan Lee...RIP.

My first introduction to superheroes was Fantastic Four and then X Men...all those years ago...urgh, my heart broke a little when I heard the news this morning. :cry:

As for CO, I'd like to see an NPC who stands outside a comic book store in game...dedicated to Stan Lee, perhaps?

Similar to Dancing Bowie in Vibora Bay

Now that is a great idea! 100% behind this idea.
  • kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
    He could replace the Defender Fanboy who's outside the Comic Book store in Westside.
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    RIP legend. :heart:
  • blazeingdragoonblazeingdragoon Posts: 65 Arc User
    godspeed stan lee. let the legend be remember till the end of time.
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    029efc70ae193bae2e6ac8f07abc0cc71469465c.jpg
    EXCELSIOR FOREVER
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    1ud1fnrq75y11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=62aa1c9c8df3f3a4d2c5c0c6ea114c1fc1a2dd9b​​
    That one made me smile :)
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    sgtken60 wrote: »

Well I can see what you are saying, and I agree with most of it. And Stan did put a face on comics, I know there was other greats - Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Jerry Robinson, Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and so many more.

But Stan just seemed more approachable? I guess.

Oh, just to be clear, I'm not saying that Stan did more than anyone else, but he was someone that put himself out there to talk comics. Usually back in the days of letters to the editor that'd be answered in the back of the comic it was Stan that was answering them. Later as a lot of those older creative genius died off Stan continued to promote comics even if he was no longer part of the creative team. When the marvel movies started coming out and he began making cameos the fans of comics knew who Stan Lee was because Stan Lee had become the face of Marvel comics, people who'd never read a comic before in their lives began to recognize Stan and so he became the most famous comic book creator, and thus the face of comics. The only one even close is Todd McFarlane. There's just not going to be another person that can fill the hole that Stan Lee is leaving.
    Post edited by guyhumual on