test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Groups of Female Super Villains

Back in the hoary dawn of PnP Champions I had my own universe of villains, organizations, etc. One of these was a group of female super villains know as S.H.E. "The SisterHood of Evil." I was just wondering if in the regular Champions lore there was an actual group of female super villains? Really just a passing curiosity.
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Interesting question. I'm not aware of any all-female villain (or hero) teams in the current incarnation of the official setting. The closest to that is GRAB (Champions Villains Vol. II), a group of four super-thieves, three of whom are women. But that wasn't a deliberate choice by the team members, it just turned out that way.

I can think of one published all-female villain team from an earlier incarnation of the CU, but they're actually in service to a male. Another group of supervillainesses was written up for Champions/Hero System, but by another publisher under license from Hero Games, and belonged to a different, unconnected setting.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Well, that's curious indeed. Seems like an obvious thing that should have existed sometime over the 35 years of the game's history.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    As I mentioned, there have been such teams over the game's history. There have also been characters and even whole organizations with an explicit feminist agenda, e.g. the villainous Gremlin from Classic Enemies (for fourth-edition Hero System), who belonged to an all-female extremist group calling itself WITCH.

But remember that the current official setting was rebooted in 2002, by which point the underlying message of feminism -- equality for women and men -- had settled into the Western cultural zeitgeist. There wasn't the same perception of the "need" for such an obvious representation of women as an exclusive team, any more than for a team all made up of a particular ethnic group.

If you look at the major comics publishers, DC and Marvel, how many such teams can you think of over their even longer history? ;)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Given the current political climate in the USA these days maybe we will see an upsurge in female super villain teams in the comics and games ;) ?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Nothing scarier than super synced periods
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Given the current political climate in the USA these days maybe we will see an upsurge in female super villain teams in the comics and games ;) ?

Possibly, but that raises the risk of being accused of jumping on a band wagon and trivializing the issue, inviting ridicule. As witness,
    Nothing scarier than super synced periods

:smirk:
  • *cough* Knives of Artemis *cough*
    And the Birds of Prey, and Daughters of the Dragon. The concept isn't unknown, just very uncommon.

The Knives of Artemis always struck me as overkill, though. (No pun intended.)
    edited November 2018
    Oh, I should probably mention that there is an official Champions villain "team" calling themselves Smoke and Mirrors, composed of two mutant sisters, one who controls light, the other darkness. They're written up in Champions Villains Vol. 2: Villain Teams. But IMO the fact they're women is incidental compared to their being siblings with a shared tragic past. They could as easily have been either gender.