test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PLEASE Fix Save the Earth Alert its AWFUL

I can handle anything and everything CO has had to throw at me, but this alert is a joke. I can carry Fire & Ice or Gravitar by myself, I Main Tank every Cosmic, and Teleios Ascendant has a learning curve but as long as everyone knows what to do its fine.

But Save the Earth is a joke.

Trying to do a pick up group of Save the Earth is almost guaranteed to fail, even at just killing the Nemesis.
There's endless tough mobs that make it almost impossible to off tank to keep them under control.
The core has way too much HP to be able to DPS through especially in the face of stacks of escalating DoTs that force you to back out and wait for them to fall off before resuming DPS.
The consoles take way too long to activate and requiring your entire team to coordinate them perfectly, simultaneously, is impossible, LET ALONE trying to do so without a single enemy from a single one of the countless mobs looking in your general direction and screwing up the entire thing.

This is a JOKE. No one even BOTHERS to try and queue or form teams for the thing. Not to mention the alert is only up for a week at a time and the only source of Nemesis recognition left in the game for a shop of REALLY COOL STUFF, NOT TO MENTION all the REALLY COOL DROPS that you COULD get if you ever had a shot in hell of finishing the dang thing.

I can tell that the Devs put a LOT of time and effort into this alert, the rewards, the shop, everything. It'd be nice if people were actually able to play it, wouldn't it? Because I can't imagine you put a lot of thought into how feasible it is to actually pull any of this off. This isn't 'challenging', its ****-grindingly convoluted. Only a handful of players in the entire game have ever finished any of the alternate win conditions. Content should NOT only be for the top 5 players in the game.

PLEASE Devs, do something to tone this alert down and make it more feasible to actually complete. Otherwise, it'll just forever be dead content, which is a shame because its good content, its just really, REALLY stupid hard.

Comments

• svidovosvidovo Posts: 15 Arc User
    I hear that. Even with experienced, geared and tenacious players, all motivated to do it, most times any method besides nem kill fails. Multiple times. And then the group dissolves. I believe there should be content for all types of players. I wonder... is this alert designed for anyone at all?
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    On an unrelated note, where them cutscenes? Nemesis Alert was supposed to get cutscenes which would explain what you are supposed to do for each part, which would most certainly help reduce the number of failed pugs.

Most often than not I see people running all over the place PvEing mooks and dieing instead of focusing the turrets down while I kite the mooks in circles. I end up rolling my eyes and all the circling and rolling ends up making me dizzy.​​
    I wouldn't say that's unrelated at ALL. I think it's symptomatic. The alert is abandonware. When you offer 7000G and a DUC for a costume drop in there and STILL no one even wants to try to get it.. something is wrong.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Well I'm gonna solo queue for it right now and see how it goes. Almost missed it again and gotta do it for Vigilance on aaaaaaall my toons :o​​
    edited November 2018
    Oh well the undead heroes are up and stuff of course the queues are gonna be slow everyone is doing zombies o3o that's not a STE problem

I already got some STEs done anyways btw u3u​​
    edited November 2018
    Getting it done isn't the problem. I've done it over a hundred times. Yes, it gets completed. No one is saying it doesn't. What we're saying is that it's tuned way too tight to actually be any fun at all.

I get why there needs to be tough content that is designed for coordinated groups. I enjoy that kind of content in its proper place. However, I don't think it's proper place is in a random queue... with non-max level characters... as part of an otherwise trivial monthly quest.

How much fun do you think a level 30 AT new player in green quest gear is going to have in there? How likely is that person to try it again after the 15th failed run? How favorably are they going to look upon the rest of the game after seeing that it's required for Vigilance?

There's a reason TA isn't in the Custom Alert queue.
    svidovo wrote: »
    What we're saying is that it's tuned way too tight to actually be any fun at all.

Well I've had fun in it every single time I've ever played it, so I'll have to say that it's not tuned "too tight" to be fun.​​
    Then you're either incredibly lucky, a masochist, dishonest, or you just like to be contrary. I'm leaning toward the latter with your post history. The metrics of how many people bother to do it are what they are and neither of us have that information.

Saying what amounts to "nuh-uhn" to everyone else's opinion doesn't make yours more valid. You may be having fun in there, but if you honestly think most players do, I think you might be deluding yourself.
    edited November 2018
    Then you're either incredibly lucky, a masochist, dishonest, or you just like to be contrary.

Or I'm just better than you. Some gamers are the type that blame the devs, the game, or other players for their failings. Then there's those of us that figure out what we're doing wrong, fix it, and move on. One type tends to be more successful than the other I've noticed, and have more fun.
    You may be having fun in there, but if you honestly think most players do, I think you might be deluding yourself.

Most players aren't on the forums complaining about it. As for whatever you think I'm deluded about, I'll just repost my comment with some bolding for emphasis.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Well I've had fun in it every single time I've ever played it, so I'll have to say that it's not tuned "too tight" to be fun.

So... from what I see... the only one here deluding themselves into thinking that they speak for "most players" seems to be you. FYI, making that claim doesn't make your opinion any more valid tiger-3.gif​​
    edited November 2018
    Oh good. Now we're to the "learn to play" part of the conversation. Look, I've completed it, using multiple methods... MANY times. It's no longer a concern for me. I've been unlucky with drops but whatever... RNG gonna RNG.

The alert is something I can write off... But everytime someone says that about the content in the game, it's bad for the game.

As for my claiming to speak for others: I don't. I apologize if I gave the impression that I thought I did. However, my personal experience is that people don't behave as if they enjoy it. I very well may be way off base here. I admit that. How about this: I won't bother doing it again except once a month for Vigilance. I'm sure that will make me enjoy the game more. No sweat off my back. I bet the devs will be thrilled and can high-five about it. Mission accomplished!
    edited November 2018
    Then you're either incredibly lucky, a masochist, dishonest, or you just like to be contrary

Yeah that sure sounds like someone who's had a lot of success in there. I know when I see someone enjoying something that I've beaten hundreds of times I think "Well there goes an incredibly lucky masochist who is probably only pretending to enjoy that because there's no way somebody could enjoy something I don't, they're clearly just pretending to have fun to gaslight me".​​
    edited November 2018
    Wow. That's quite the response. It's your prerogative not to believe me, I simply don't care. It boils down to this: in my opinion, it's overtuned. In your opinion it isn't. It doesn't matter one way or the other, because they are opinions. My only goal was to express that opinion and my concerns about what it means for the health of the game. Some will agree... Some won't.

Anyway, I wasn't posting that opinion and concerns for you. More for the people that can do something about it. I'm not interested in being drawn into an arguement about something that means so little. Have fun!
    It's your prerogative not to believe me, I simply don't care.

Can I say this about:
    Then you're either incredibly lucky, a masochist, dishonest, or you just like to be contrary

? fish-5.gif​​
    edited November 2018
    Hey @championsrper, you took off too early. We did console method some. No emote drops for you, though. :/
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    When they first added it the difficulty was tuned way too high and most teams failed, now though its fine, I always do it in pickup teams and for multiple chrs, even 1 weak one and have only failed it once.

This and cybermind are the only decent custom events - the rest are dull and auto win, may as well not exist, they only get done for vigilance and all they are is a very small dull time sink with no point and no chance of failure.
    > @serendipitynow said:
    > When they first added it the difficulty was tuned way too high and most teams failed, now though its fine, I always do it in pickup teams and for multiple chrs, even 1 weak one and have only failed it once.
    >
    > This and cybermind are the only decent custom events - the rest are dull and auto win, may as well not exist, they only get done for vigilance and all they are is a very small dull time sink with no point and no chance of failure.

That's awesome to hear! Honestly, I hope most people are having your experience rather than mine, or that of the OP. I would much rather think that I'm unlucky than to worry about the level of neglect for the game that everyone opting out of the newest alert with no dev action would indicate.

Out of curiosity, how have your experiences with alternate completion methods been?
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    It's OK. The lack of cutscenes still irritates, the other methods of completion are a bit complex and are only really viable with good teams using voice comms and the like. It can certainly be done with PUGs but I wouldn't be bringing a squishy DPS and going for the best, so I tend to play it most on my CC characters or the ones I use in the Q Zone.
    > @serendipitynow said:
    > When they first added it the difficulty was tuned way too high and most teams failed, now though its fine, I always do it in pickup teams and for multiple chrs, even 1 weak one and have only failed it once.
    >
    > This and cybermind are the only decent custom events - the rest are dull and auto win, may as well not exist, they only get done for vigilance and all they are is a very small dull time sink with no point and no chance of failure.

That's awesome to hear! Honestly, I hope most people are having your experience rather than mine, or that of the OP. I would much rather think that I'm unlucky than to worry about the level of neglect for the game that everyone opting out of the newest alert with no dev action would indicate.

Out of curiosity, how have your experiences with alternate completion methods been?

I will confess I have only done the nemesis defeat condition, i keep meaning to try the others but never gotten round to forming a team to try - doing them in a pug group isn't really an option as people in a pug group just want to complete the alert in a straight forward way.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I concur, I hate this piece of trash alert. I ran it twice or three times or some such when it first came out. Most were absolutely overwhelming failures. I hate the mechanics, I hate everything about it. I just bought the costumes off someone, and then wrote it off as ignored garbage.
    [NbK]XStorm
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I concur, I hate this piece of trash alert. I ran it twice or three times or some such when it first came out. Most were absolutely overwhelming failures. I hate the mechanics, I hate everything about it. I just bought the costumes off someone, and then wrote it off as ignored garbage.

If you only tried it when it first came out and never since you may want to try again. After a few days, maybe a week they toned it down as it was far too tough.

When they first added it there were far more mobs and they respawned at least twice a fast as now making it impossible for most groups to complete.

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Is it abandoned content? Yes.

Is it tougher than normal? Yes.

Can it be done by PUGs? Yes (I've only ever done them in PUGs)

Is it a dull fight? Sorta.
    Too much time fighting boring mobs, not enough time fighting the Nemesis.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    on an another note, you say it's the only source of Nemesis recognition.
    That's because i'm getting ti from doing the Nemesis missions
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Complaining about overly difficult content is futile. Nobody cares. You're just wasting your time bringing it up.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Not to mention the alert is only up for a week at a time and the only source of Nemesis recognition left in the game for a shop of REALLY COOL STUFF, NOT TO MENTION all the REALLY COOL DROPS that you COULD get if you ever had a shot in hell of finishing the dang thing.

I get most of my Nemesis Recog from regular ol'Nemesis missions. Tons of Nem Recog--much more than this alert gives.

Once you finish the Nemesis story arc a second, third time, you get piles of it, since the Recog award is based on how many times you've run through the entire arc.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It's good thing I quit farming for the Vigilante mission on multiple characters because If i tried to do that now with the addition of Save the Earth it would be a Suicide. If Cybermind drove me insane back in the days when was a broken mess the StE would finished me off

DEVs really shouldnt aim to make Alerts so difficult, Alerts are suppose to be casual levels of difficulty and not on the same level as EPIC Teleios Tower and cosmics. And that was pretty much why i wasn't looking forwards for yet another new alert (which screwed up the Vigilante)

Not to mention the Queue system of CO is horrible, it's not like Final Fantasy XIV where you can queue as specific required role and the game will put you in a organized team where your role is required. You PUGed the alert and there is no Tank or/and Healer? R.I.P

That being said, the original Nemesis missions are the best sources of Nem tokens​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2018
    Wait! What? You get more recognition each time you run the Nemesis arc with the same character? What's the upper limit of extra recognition? I.e. is double the base amount the max?
    Once you finish the Nemesis story arc a second, third time, you get piles of it, since the Recog award is based on how many times you've run through the entire arc.

I know I did StE this time with 5 DPSers. Everyone knew what to do and it was actually a fast run.
    avianos wrote: »
    Not to mention the Queue system of CO is horrible, it's not like Final Fantasy XIV where you can queue as specific required role and the game will put you in a organized team where your role is required. You PUGed the alert and there is no Tank or/and Healer? R.I.P

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • dwnside13dwnside13 Posts: 12 Arc User
    Drop rate and being only a week long is my only problem with the alert. (Suggestion) Maybe have 2 phases to Nemesis fight.... 1)Fight Nem as normal
    2)Nem goes inside core(Remove Antigravity) increases size and strength, Breaks out, Eats random hero, gains one of their powers, FIGHT FO YO LIFE!.... D End!
    edited November 2018
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Too much time fighting boring mobs, not enough time fighting the Nemesis.

I dunno... did they update Nems to actually do stuff now? They still seem kinda lazy.
    I know I did StE this time with 5 DPSers. Everyone knew what to do and it was actually a fast run.

Those are certainly the fastest runs. Burst damage serves just as well as a tank or healer in this alert \o/​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    To me, the core problem with StE is that it's a Custom Alert, and NOT something only for level 40 characters, but it's hard enough that you kinda NEED level 40 characters.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • firefly113firefly113 Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    The few times i attempted it were absolute failures. I just gave up and called it content intended for a premade. I play a pseudo tank with regen and i get evaporated. Seems intended more for the power player side of the community. Its a shame simply because i can never have too much nemesis content.

Edit: i wouldnt say its awful, im just sorely disappointed that some cool nemesis content feels a bit exclusive.
    Wait! What? You get more recognition each time you run the Nemesis arc with the same character? What's the upper limit of extra recognition? I.e. is double the base amount the max?

avianos wrote: »

I believe it is more than double. Short Nem missions, which take 5 minutes to do, in open world, award my main something like 20-30 Nem recog.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    You people saying you fail all the time must have the worse luck, even my unfinished 40 only half created chr (6 powers picked only) and heirloom gear has only failed once and I only pug it, never do on an organised team.
    Still pretty lazy, but slightly more interesting when you drag them off the upper platform and just fight them on the ground floor.
    I dunno... did they update Nems to actually do stuff now? They still seem kinda lazy.

JwLmWoa.png
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    I hear that. Even with experienced, geared and tenacious players, all motivated to do it, most times any method besides nem kill fails. Multiple times. And then the group dissolves. I believe there should be content for all types of players. I wonder... is this alert designed for anyone at all?

My guess is it is designed for the super hardcore elitists that want/need excessively hard content that would make Dark Souls seem easy. Beyond that...I don't think it really is.
    firefly113 wrote: »
    The few times i attempted it were absolute failures. I just gave up and called it content intended for a premade. I play a pseudo tank with regen and i get evaporated. Seems intended more for the power player side of the community. Its a shame simply because i can never have too much nemesis content.

Edit: i wouldnt say its awful, im just sorely disappointed that some cool nemesis content feels a bit exclusive.

The trick is to bring some support and some stunning / hold powers. The character I play STE on the most - because she makes the runs successful, most of the time - runs Seraphim in support mode with TK powers for fast charge stuns, Soul Vortex to debuff enemies with Fear, and lots of little incremental heals (she doesn't actually have a heal power per se). But if you can slow the enemies down, reduce their damage, lock them down with stuns and holds and still do some decent damage yourself, then the team has a chance. You can't really help if people don't understand the basic mechanics of the alert, though, and that's where the lack of cutscenes hurts. Imagine Cybermind without the explanation of each round's rules. Yeuch. As for the other methods of completing the alert... no idea, and realistically you're not going to have time to work it out in-game.

If Cybermind did not have an explanatory cut scene by now, there would be a sticky in the forums at least.
    Imagine Cybermind without the explanation of each round's rules. Yeuch. As for the other methods of completing the alert... no idea, and realistically you're not going to have time to work it out in-game.

JwLmWoa.png
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Now that it's been out for awhile and people have had time to learn it, I think it's safe to assess it as follows:

Enemies
    Honestly, this is probably the one thing that makes StE such a pain in the **** compared to other alerts. The problem with them is threefold:
    • They respawn, which is generally unheard of in these kinds of alerts. To top it off, they respawn really quickly which can make them impossible to manage for a pug missing a tank, healer, or especially both.
    • Their aggro radius is too big. Generally, enemies in CO have an expected radius at which they will engage players, but this takes everything we've all learned about enemy aggro radius mechanics and throws it out the window. Combined with the respawn issue, it means players near-constantly have to deal with respawns across the room running over to attack them while they try to complete the objective.
    • They're overtuned in general when they should be on par with the trash packs from other custom alerts. Unless there's plans to make this into GCR content at some point, there's no reason to tune it as such.

Mechanics and Objectives
    As others have said, the lack of cutscenes (which I'm actually thankful for) might leave players unsure of what to do (disable the cannon shields then destroy the cannons, attack the forcefield generators while blocking the death aoe, kill nemesis) but that could actually be solved without cutscenes. In STO, several of their "alerts" will pop up a dialog giving a brief explanation of what to do. Bonus points if it can be done with easy-to-understand pictures instead of a text wall.

Overall
    This alert is too hard for a typical pug for what it is--a weekly custom alert available to a wide range of levels. Anyone who isn't 40 pretty much needs to be carried through this, and that isn't really fair to them or the rest of the group. It pretty much requires a tank and a healer, however pugs don't guarantee either of these things. While a full team of rando dps can clear other alerts, it's almost always an automatic fail in StE.

Normalizing StE
    • Lower stats and aggro radius of nemesis minions to be in line with other alert mobs. Cybermind's would be a good template.
    • Cannon phase: Instead of random spawns, have some fixed, non-respawning trash scattered around each cannon. Make the cannons more shooty when their shield goes down, and once it goes back up, spawn a trash pack to attack the players. This still creates the sense of urgency when dealing with the cannons, but gives the player a bit more breathing room.
    • Forcefield phase: Static guard packs at every node. Additionally, spawn an enemy pack each time a shield is damaged to the following HP thresholds: 66%, 33%, and 0%
    • Nemesis: Without constant respawns mucking up the area, actually finding the nemesis should be less of a pain in the ****. Spawn in one extra pack every 45-60 seconds until nemesis is toast.

- - -

That said, I hate the fact that I feel pretty much obligated to play as a tank or healer in StE in order to make it work. Running my purely-dps character is always such an unpleasant crapshoot.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    The aggro is bugged. That's the real issue. The mobs are supposed to stick to their corner.

We thought it was healing auras, but I checked. If the healing auras are triggering the aggro, it is *before* the main room.
    aesica wrote: »
    Running my purely-dps character is always such an unpleasant crapshoot.

Here's what you do. Message your friend that has a tank and be like "Hey, run my DPS through STE and I'll bring my tank to run your dps through it". Profit! Community! Super Heroes! \o/​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    Running my purely-dps character is always such an unpleasant crapshoot.

Here's what you do. Message your friend that has a tank and be like "Hey, run my DPS through STE and I'll bring my tank to run your dps through it". Profit! Community! Super Heroes! \o/

You ask for the impossible. [insert Luke complaining to Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back]​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    Under some circumstances, it seems to spawn additional mobs when you enter the room, these mobs go utterly bananas with seemingly infinite aggro to everyone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J87F35g3c4
    I think you can see it in this vid.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I don't see anything particularly exotic about the aggro behavior there. You just managed to pull the entire room and their aggro never reset.
    I don't see anything particularly exotic about the aggro behavior there. You just managed to pull the entire room and their aggro never reset.
    Oh, guess that's the wrong one. Hmm. Anyways, it does demonstrate some very bizarre AI behavior.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Oh, guess that's the wrong one. Hmm. Anyways, it does demonstrate some very bizarre AI behavior.
    It looks like they are set to not chase people out of the room.

The solution to that situation is either a tank drags everything off, or you kill enough stuff that you can go on with your primary objective (they respawn, but not so fast that you can't control them). However, teams able to do either of those probably won't get into that situation in the first place.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I can attest to the fact that Spinny did indeed succeed in at least a couple of pug runs (in a row). I was there, getting my butt carried.

I was taking a break when the alert dropped, and it never seems to be around long enough for me to really master it. The long queue times don't help much tho.

It's not that difficult. The funny thing is that the rapid mob respawn mechanic punishes tryhard DPS teams more than it does PUG groups with a mixture of tanks and support toons.
    I don't think it's too tough, but it is harder than other special alerts.

That being said, I stopped farming Vigilance after STE went into the rotation. I could not reliably rotate 30 toons through it, like the other special alerts. I ran my five mains, which generally went okay, but then kinda gave up on Vigilance farming altogether.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Herding or controlling the mobs in STE is essential really. Which is usually the job of a support or tank. I did find my dps performed better when I swapped him to hybrid mode w/the Invulnerable passive. Tanks and healers are vital to this alert, and I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    I also wonder if a semi-intended design goal of Save the Earth was to add a special alert to the rotation that would actually cut down on Vigilance farming.

When I was at the height of my play time, spending Zen on lots of stuff, I would often get 40+ heroes through Vigilance. So. Much. Questionite.

Now, even if you can reliably do the alert, there is a longer wait time between runs, and some characters in a player's alt farm just aren't good enough.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It should be cut into pieces.
    I mean separate the different ways into a separate missions, do all 4 and you get the whole Save the Earth done.
    And simple and clear "tutorial" cutscenes like Socrates does in the defeat Cybermind mission.
    It cuts down team speak and inside mission strategy planning to minimum. Makes it pug friedly--ier.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!