test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween Costume Contest

From the news section:
Spooky Scary Champions, Send Shivers Down My Spine! It's a Halloween Costume Contest! Head to the Powerhouse Theater on Wednesday, October 31st at 4pm PT, and we'll be having a live stream with all of you! The theme is spooooooooooky. Whatever you do, make sure you show up dressed in your spookiest outfit, and you could win a ton of in game rewards, and some original Champions Online concept art!

Our Grand Prize will be a Gold Costume Voucher A, 2 developer tokens, Therakiel's Sword and a piece of original CO Concept Art!

Second Prize will be a Gold Costume Voucher A, 2 developer tokens, and Therakiel's Sword!

Third Prize will be a Gold Costume Voucher A, 2 developer tokens, and Therakiel's Blade!

And 10 Honorable Mentions will receive a Purple Costume Voucher A, and 1 developer token!

We can't wait to see what you bring to the party!

If you want to watch the show live, make sure to tune in to our Twitch Channel or our Facebook Page!
​​

Comments

• lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    BTW, I'm willing to buy that Therakiel's Blade (that's the dual blade costume right?) from whoever wins​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Wednesday, October 31st at 4pm PT
    giphy.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    well I have a costume I'd like to enter but I'll be at work at that point. 7am.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• shortbus#4297 shortbus Posts: 100 Arc User
    For the Devs.

Please make sure that you share your screen with us when you are looking at the costumes.
    - We missed out on several of the costumes in the beginning of the last CC.

Please be quick efficient.
    - Many have work and/or school the next day and still want to have fun in participating in this event.
    - Not everyone is in the Pacific Time Zone.
    - Please don't make a fun event go beyond its limits by wasting time showing us the backsides of characters.

I post this in response to many of the comments I have seen in conversations with friends and in zone chat. Contrary to popular belief, I am not posting this to make things harder on the devs.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Wednesday, October 31st at 4pm PT
    giphy.gif

They don't have Halloween in Finland anyway u3u​​
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Please make a Megalodon fight after the CC and make it reward dev tokens. It's the only thing non-winners look forward too.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    spinnytop wrote: »
    They don't have Halloween in Finland anyway u3u​​
    Those are from the 20BC.
    kekripukit.jpg

• soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    For the Devs.

Please make sure that you share your screen with us when you are looking at the costumes.

- Many have work and/or school the next day and still want to have fun in participating in this event.
    - Please don't make a fun event go beyond its limits by wasting time showing us the backsides of characters.

I post this in response to many of the comments I have seen in conversations with friends and in zone chat. Contrary to popular belief, I am not posting this to make things harder on the devs.

As a frequent CC judge, I will tell you this right now, none of that is doable. Except maybe the screen shots.

To the point, on the three things you wanted about "efficiency".
    - Even with the small sized CC's my SG holds it can take half an hour with up to an average of 30 people in attendance. Given the track records of Dev Hosted CC's, it is near impossible for a "quick" CC to happen, this is due to the huge number of attendees (Contest Goers, Judges, and Bystanders) creating multiple Theater Zones (I've seen FOUR at once, and last I checked, these zones can hold more than 50 each, might be wrong though), even the largest non-Dev Hosted CCs I've seen had only one zone, and they still took up to an hour to complete. This part also has to do with the judges, do they judge quickly and sloppy? Or, do they do a thorough job on judging? Quick and sloppy leads to bad picks that get people to complain about rigging and biases. On the other hand, thoroughness leads to time being consumed. Is there a middle ground? Nope, there is not. But, that also depends on the judge, if the judge is quick and gathering details on what they look at and be thorough at the same time, than, that is cool. But, most judges are not like that.

- Well, sucks to be them. I'd be in the same boat if they hosted the event at a time that would work better for people in Europe or Asia. And, I doubt they will hold TWO CC events. So, this in truth, is just pointless to even ask for them to take in consideration. This is why bigger games (like WoW), typically have servers all over the world, so that events can happen at a time you would like them to happen at. But, CO does not have that luxary, so, for those not in the Americas, plan ahead. That would be what I would do if I saw an event I wanted to partake in but was scheduled at an odd hour that is inconvenient to me, I'd plan ahead. I have no idea when they actually announced the Halloween CC, but, if it was really recent, than, you should be complaining that they did not give you time to plan for the event and that next time, if they plan on holding a Dev Hosted CC, that they announce the event a month in advanced. That way, you and others on the other side of the Earth can plan ahead for it (take time off basically).

- Limits are put into place by the judges, not the crowd overall. If the judges are showing you the backsides, that means they find the backsides to be important in their judging. Do not ask them to not do their best at judging by cutting corners. In truth, when judging a costume, EVEN THE BACKSIDE IS IMPORTANT TO THE OVERALL LOOK! It is not just the front we judges look at. Which is why certain things work...and others don't.

TL:DR: What you are asking for is not possible to change. Plan ahead, especially for Dev Hosted CCs. And learn to respect the judges.
    For the Devs.

To continue from above (double posting due to Arc having a tendency to eat my posts when I edit them), what you asked for would actually lower efficiency.
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    Things we need to know:

1) Does Therakiel Blade come with a TK/ID Blade option?

2) Showing backsides during the CC? So... are bikinis allowed or are we having unwritten, unnecessary, censorship rules?

Only 1 is a serious question... my char rocks her bikinis and would win by default if she were to wear one! =D
    Pics pls.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Better start making spooky humorous costumes because that's what devs fancy the most~!
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    soulforger wrote: »

As a frequent CC judge, I will tell you this right now, none of that is doable. Except maybe the screen shots...

TL:DR: What you are asking for is not possible to change. Plan ahead, especially for Dev Hosted CCs. And learn to respect the judges.

As someone who has hosted, judged, attended, and provided music for many costume contests (some of them to be the most complicated and fun events in this game) (and I guarantee more than you have) I know that all I said can be done.

To put it another way, your excessively long and point is invalid.
    Further more, I believe the Devs would like to treat their costumers-- regardless of time zone-- with more respect than you do.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    I sure wish they'd post shots of the winning costumes on the forums.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    hmm, yes I can just hear my Manager's response to asking for a day off, so I can enter a costume contest in a game.....

Whoever won the 3rd place prize, if you are willing to sell it pm me either here or ingame. I'll make a generous offer​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    @shortbus#4297 his post is Just as valid as yours. You speak for you, not the masses. It runs as well as it can and if it doesn't work for your schedule, don't come.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks all!

Sorry about the stream going off for a bit, the keyboard we were using apparently has a button that actually tries to shut down the computer when pressed that was located right next to the print screen button (and where the print screen button typically is on most keyboards). Why such a key exists on a keyboard is beyond me! But I did press it, and it shut down everything.

Prizes will be handed out tomorrow!​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    spinnytop wrote: »
    They don't have Halloween in Finland anyway u3u
    Those are from the 20BC.
    kekripukit.jpg

I mean I could find some garbage in my backyard and glue it together too u3u​​
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Thanks all!

Sorry about the stream going off for a bit, the keyboard we were using apparently has a button that actually tries to shut down the computer when pressed that was located right next to the print screen button (and where the print screen button typically is on most keyboards). Why such a key exists on a keyboard is beyond me! But I did press it, and it shut down everything.

tenor.gif?itemid=5690420
    can you post the pictures of the winners for people who weren't on.

That was a good CC! =)
    Started at 4pm Pacific. Had 3 zones. Was done before 6pm. Heck, some people were wondering if Fate was hosting their CC (they have not held one in months).

The post-judging PvP was a nice break. Over on Dawn Radio, we had fun playing music for the PvP session.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    Thanks, all, for the costume contest. They seem to get better and better. Really like the idea of something to do while the judges meet and compare their scorecards. The free-for-all brawl was really hilarious for me, I hope others enjoyed it too, even if they didn't normally PvP, because watching the rest of us go berserk was probably pretty funny. Actually, next time, may we fight the giant shark maybe or some other giant creature?
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Thanks all!

Was it made by ASUS? because I see that on Asus keyboards...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    The random PvP was super fun cause I was running around and suddenly I noticed "the heck, I can target this player?" and started hitting him, then more people started realising that PvP was on and all chaos broke loose bear-2.gif

I hear that some oversensitive people did not like it though​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    The random PvP was super fun cause I was running around and suddenly I noticed "the heck, I can target this player?" and started hitting him, then more people started realising that PvP was on and all chaos broke loose bear-2.gif

I hear that some oversensitive people did not like it though​​
    I know I lit a whole lot of people on fire and punched several of them. Yes, this was my Regen tank with Cosmic gear.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    Prizes have been sent out!​​
    Me buy! Me buy! Pm forums or ingame bear-2.gif​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    100k global
    soulforger wrote: »

As a frequent CC judge, I will tell you this right now, none of that is doable. Except maybe the screen shots...

As someone who has hosted, judged, attended, and provided music for many costume contests (some of them to be the most complicated and fun events in this game) (and I guarantee more than you have) I know that all I said can be done.

To put it another way, your excessively long and point is invalid.
    Further more, I believe the Devs would like to treat their costumers-- regardless of time zone-- with more respect than you do.

Oh no, you disagree, so, my point is "invalid". In reality, no, it is not. On a programming and logical scale, what you asked for is just simply not possible. For you personally, it might be, but, on the scale you are asking for, it is not. You did not even provide examples of how to implement what you ask for. Just made demands. If you want to truly invalidate what I say, provide actual easy things (or maybe not easy things) that could be implemented to make what you want to be doable. You started this, the burden of proof is on you, you have to prove to me your ideas are doable. Otherwise, do not go "I disagree, so, your point is invalid." It doesn't work that way. I gave actual reasons why it wouldn't work. You did not do the same to back up what you want. So, either back up your claim, or admit you have no idea on how to implement those things and admit that I actually made a very good point.

And, I apologize if I am coming off really strong there, but, I really hate it when someone just basically says "I disagree, thus, your point(s) are invalid." Like what you basically did here. The burden of proof is on you.
    @shortbus#4297 his post is Just as valid as yours. You speak for you, not the masses. It runs as well as it can and if it doesn't work for your schedule, don't come.

Thank you.