test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Onslaught - Question

Well this morning I ran into "Grond", at the RC I saw some other players fighting it so I joined in! Well this is a prime example of looking before you leap, my little DS/AT at Level 18 did not do much damage.

So did I just PvP? Or is this different?
Tagged:

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Well, really you engaged in collusion (maybe without knowing it). OV pvp is not really a thing.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Well, really you engaged in collusion (maybe without knowing it). OV pvp is not really a thing.

Well I got 40 Onslaught Coins (I thnk that was the name), after he dropped. Then I saw two more Gronds change, but I had to log because of work.
    I will check the CO wiki, but thanks.
    This thread could fill up fast. Basically the devs who created the OV system were trying to create pvp content. It soon became apparent that it was much easier for all concerned for the OV to pop a few Until Guardians, then head to RC, state how many kills they needed, and once they got the kills go passive and/or turret dive.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    This thread could fill up fast. Basically the devs who created the OV system were trying to create pvp content. It soon became apparent that it was much easier for all concerned for the OV to pop a few Until Guardians, then head to RC, state how many kills they needed, and once they got the kills go passive and/or turret dive.

Well the 1st "Grond" just stood there, until the very end when "he" attack a turret outside the building. The other two started hitting each other, but like I said I did not stay for that.

And the Wiki page told me a little (that is not a knock), see I am not a PvP'er normally, so I was just curious. The Wiki page did me something the Player "Monsters" cannot attack a player until they have been attacked.

So I guess I have PvP now --- LoL
    The main reason to do OV is to gain enough tokens to get the OV purple secondary gear, which is pretty much the best around.
    JwLmWoa.png
    The main reason to do OV is to gain enough tokens to get the OV purple secondary gear, which is pretty much the best around.

Well I got a real silly question then - If I turn into Grond just stand there and not hit back I still gain tokens?
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    sgtken60 wrote: »
    Well I got a real silly question then - If I turn into Grond just stand there and not hit back I still gain tokens?
    No, to gain tokens as an OV you need to get kills -- 5 each for players or UNTIL defenders, about 0.5 for the extra minions around the UNTIL defenders. Daily mission requires 3 UNTIL defenders and 50 total tokens.
    No, to gain tokens as an OV you need to get kills -- 5 each for players or UNTIL defenders, about 0.5 for the extra minions around the UNTIL defenders. Daily mission requires 3 UNTIL defenders and 50 total tokens.

Okay thanks
    Note that for the next week OV missions are granting 40% more of each kind of token, so a good time to run some of these if you think you will later want the gear. Normally takes over 30 days to earn enough tokens for 3 pieces of gear.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Note that for the next week OV missions are granting 40% more of each kind of token, so a good time to run some of these if you think you will later want the gear. Normally takes over 30 days to earn enough tokens for 3 pieces of gear.

I am not sure, been sitting here at work thinking about it. I have never been a fan of PvP, and I am not very good at it. BUT I would like to have some better gear. So who knows, at least I would be a easy kill for everyone :)
    Onslaught isn't PvP most of the time (you can do the villain daily without ever fighting another player), but it's a pretty substantial grind.
    The trick is learning how to get the player kills as the OV. Those are the tokens you need for the gear. The tokens you get as a player for taking down an OV are not so useful.
    JwLmWoa.png
    The trick is learning how to get the player kills as the OV.
    You don't need to get any player kills as an OV.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Well this morning I ran into "Grond", at the RC I saw some other players fighting it so I joined in! Well this is a prime example of looking before you leap, my little DS/AT at Level 18 did not do much damage.

So did I just PvP? Or is this different?

OV is a pvp event where players use a device to turn into a large super villain with a limited number of attacks and a large amount of health. No matter what level or build you are your damage wouldn't be significant since these villains are meant to be taken down by a large group of players. However you do not need to defeat the villain to gain rewards, you will automatically gain them as the villain's health gets lower, and then one final time when they are fully defeated. If you are fighting an OV villain solo the best course of action is to announce which zone they are in in zone chat, and other players should show up shortly.

Due to various design issues and a general lack of enthusiasm for actual pvp in our community the OV event is generally not played as intended. OV villain players will generally come to rencen, announce to zone chat which zone they are in and that they are passive, and will then stand there passively as players dps them down. Occasionally the OV player will request that some players voluntarily get defeated by the OV so that they can get some tokens. The OV player gets Villain tokens, and the players attacking them get Guardian tokens. Through this arrangement everyone gets what they need and nobody has to deal with the awkward dynamic of actually trying to fight an OV villain.

You can use your acquired tokens to purchase rewards from the Onslaught Vendor up in the vendor building. Conveniently, OV villain players usually stand right in front of that building when letting people dps them. There isn't much on there, but there are some Offensive Secondary gear pieces that are pretty strong. The powers available on that vendor are generally not worth getting since they're generally quite under-powered.​​
    Well, as long as your hunt for Guardians isn't messed up by some other OV working the same turf. That's happened to me more than once.
    The trick is learning how to get the player kills as the OV.
    You don't need to get any player kills as an OV.

JwLmWoa.png
    Well, as long as your hunt for Guardians isn't messed up by some other OV working the same turf. That's happened to me more than once.
    Just take a side trip to a different guardian.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Might just take the prize for dumbest grind in the game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I am not sure, been sitting here at work thinking about it. I have never been a fan of PvP, and I am not very good at it. BUT I would like to have some better gear. So who knows, at least I would be a easy kill for everyone :)
    Here's an example of the gear:
    TanyaGear.png
    See the part that says "Onslaught Gloves of the Slicer"?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    the Onlsaught gear was going to be primaries but the people running rampages complained that people would stop running rampages... "oh and can you make it secondaries so we can use it with rampage gear." Because they wanted the extra powers from them.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    To be honest, if you had to choose between them it'd actually be a hard sell to choose the non-set items.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • dreadjaws2dreadjaws2 Posts: 58 Arc User
    I think this might be the place to ask this question. While I more or less know all the details about Onslaught only recently I started messing with it. Where can I get more info about it? Because there are a few things that still puzzle me. If you can answer them or direct me to a place with answers, I'd be thankful.

1) Sometimes when I attack UNTIL Defenders and their posse I have enough energy for other attacks, and sometimes I don't, even at the same starting point. How is energy gained?
    2) Sometimes an attack of mine will kill everyone in sight, and sometimes it'll barely make a dent. Do enemies not always have the same HP or it depends on another factor?
    3) Sometimes I can kill the entire Guardian team and have barely a scratch, and sometimes my HP will be drained by them to almost death. Sometimes I have a full bar and I can barely reach a second Guardian, while sometimes I can kill half a dozen with an almost empty bar without dying. All while using the same strategy. What determines my HP loss? Again, is it that enemies are sometimes stronger or is there an external factor that determines how much damage they cause?
    4) Sometimes I go passive OV and when I'm being attacked I suddenly die despite my HP bar only being half-down and no new attackers showing up. I thought it might be that my time for the OV had run out, but I checked and it happened to me when I had over 20 minutes left. Is there something that happens that makes the OV run out before time?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if anyone thinks these questions are silly, but the game itself doesn't seem to say anything about them.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    dreadjaws2 wrote: »
    I think this might be the place to ask this question. While I more or less know all the details about Onslaught only recently I started messing with it. Where can I get more info about it? Because there are a few things that still puzzle me. If you can answer them or direct me to a place with answers, I'd be thankful.

1) Sometimes when I attack UNTIL Defenders and their posse I have enough energy for other attacks, and sometimes I don't, even at the same starting point. How is energy gained?
    2) Sometimes an attack of mine will kill everyone in sight, and sometimes it'll barely make a dent. Do enemies not always have the same HP or it depends on another factor?
    How to gain Energy and how you can effectively deal damage depends on which OV you're playing as. Gravitar for instance needs to consume Gravity Well stacks from opponents without killing them to build energy, but Gravity Well stacks also increase the damage she deals to them. Some of her powers apply Gravity Well stacks and others consume them. Grond gains Energy from taking (and dealing iirc) damage, his "final" power consumes all his energy and deals massive damage. Can't remember how Medusa functions, but she does some stacking and spiking as well.
    3) Sometimes I can kill the entire Guardian team and have barely a scratch, and sometimes my HP will be drained by them to almost death. Sometimes I have a full bar and I can barely reach a second Guardian, while sometimes I can kill half a dozen with an almost empty bar without dying. All while using the same strategy. What determines my HP loss? Again, is it that enemies are sometimes stronger or is there an external factor that determines how much damage they cause?
    Guardians have certain attacks that deal massive damage to OVs, also sentry turrets will eat you alive.
    4) Sometimes I go passive OV and when I'm being attacked I suddenly die despite my HP bar only being half-down and no new attackers showing up. I thought it might be that my time for the OV had run out, but I checked and it happened to me when I had over 20 minutes left. Is there something that happens that makes the OV run out before time?
    The OV devices have two durations: One for the item to disappear after obtaining it (30 or 60 minutes iirc) and one for the amount of time you can be an OV (15 minutes).
  • dreadjaws2dreadjaws2 Posts: 58 Arc User
    How to gain Energy and how you can effectively deal damage depends on which OV you're playing as. Gravitar for instance needs to consume Gravity Well stacks from opponents without killing them to build energy, but Gravity Well stacks also increase the damage she deals to them. Some of her powers apply Gravity Well stacks and others consume them. Grond gains Energy from taking (and dealing iirc) damage, his "final" power consumes all his energy and deals massive damage. Can't remember how Medusa functions, but she does some stacking and spiking as well.
    A-ha! No wonder I can never do anything as Gravitar. I should have paid more attention.
    Guardians have certain attacks that deal massive damage to OVs, also sentry turrets will eat you alive.
    Oh, my God, the goddamn turrets! Why didn't I think of that? Must be because I'm an idiot, but I'm just gonna blame the flu.
    The OV devices have two durations: One for the item to disappear after obtaining it (30 or 60 minutes iirc) and one for the amount of time you can be an OV (15 minutes).
    Ah, thanks for that. I wasn't aware of it. I've never seen the second timer anywhere, but it'll be easy to note now.

Thanks for all the answers! You've been really helpful.