test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If they had done this instead....

This scenerio keeps running through my old head.

Well we have to cancel subscriptions. How about we do this.

FF will be free, that way anyone can be whatever they want to be. We'll charge 500 zen for new slots. Hmmm the ATs.
Ah I know they gain passive bonuses. 10% increased effect of their Super stats and Exp, Resources increased 15% on the ones you get free. The ones you buy get bonuses 5% higher than the free ones.
Lifetime sub will unlock all the current cosmetics in the store, but will have to buy anything new added in the last 6 months and beyond. They will also get a passive 20% bonus to Exp, Resources, and Event $$ with 5 AT's of their choice unlocked.

(puts on a flame retardant suit)

What do you think would have happened to the game... instead of lower population?

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    5893D0EB-80B0-4228-8DB8-81FE1B626AEC.gif?fit=480%2C238
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    areee wrote: »
    This scenerio keeps running through my old head.

Well we have to cancel subscriptions. How about we do this.

FF will be free, that way anyone can be whatever they want to be. We'll charge 500 zen for new slots. Hmmm the ATs.
    Ah I know they gain passive bonuses. 10% increased effect of their Super stats and Exp, Resources increased 15% on the ones you get free. The ones you buy get bonuses 5% higher than the free ones.
    Lifetime sub will unlock all the current cosmetics in the store, but will have to buy anything new added in the last 6 months and beyond. They will also get a passive 20% bonus to Exp, Resources, and Event $$ with 5 AT's of their choice unlocked.

(puts on a flame retardant suit)

What do you think would have happened to the game... instead of lower population?

Population has not actually fallen as much as people think over the past few years. If they did what you proposed, no one would be spending a dime on the game really, they would lose more money following what you propose. And running a game with a higher pop costs more money than it currently does, thus, the game would have been closed following what you'd want. You also basically made LTS virtually pointless with your suggestion. No one would buy LTS for the costumes, bonuses to ATs (vast majority of LTS toons are FF after all), or the passive bonuses you suggested (well, maybe a small amount). LTS with your suggestion would only be worth around $50, and that would be pushing it.

As it is, people exaggerate how much the population has fallen. We need to remember, this game never had a very huge population, even when it launched. And the population has been going up and down around where it is now for several years. So, yeah, what you suggested would not have helped as much as you'd think it would.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    My take would have been to make FFs available to everyone from the start, BUT the powers you get to choose from are restricted. In order to get more power options you need to level ATs to 40 at which point those powers become available.

New power sets are introduced to the game in the form of premium ATs that you purchase from the zen store.

ATs are overly specialized into one single aspect (Melee/Ranged damage, Support or Tank) and gain the bonuses from those roles, whereas FF are locked into Hybrid role (that is, no bonus to any singular aspect in exchange for being Jack of all trades)

This way, the more you play the stronger and more options you get (unlike where we currently stand where someone whose played for 7+ years stands at exactly the same place as 5 years ago), it encourages the purchase of Retrain Tokens to turn your ATs into FF once you've unlocked their respective skills, and it would encourage more people to play ATs.

LTS should have never existed (I say this as a LTS player), and instead game should have stuck to either a sub model where you get monthly premium costumes, Zen and some monthly QoL items (a one-use retcon token for instance), or have Premium Packs that give character slots, costumes and maybe some ATs.​​
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    soulforger wrote: »
    As it is, people exaggerate how much the population has fallen. We need to remember, this game never had a very huge population, even when it launched. And the population has been going up and down around where it is now for several years.

That's your impression maybe, mine is that it's fallen an enormous amount in the past 5/6 years and that's it's remained more or less at the same massively reduced amount for the past year or two. It's difficult to know what the sub changes have done to the population atm, but it will become apparent soon.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    My idea was unrealistic but... I want to see all the maps Full of people. This game should be well known, but it is not. :'(
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I think it ended up fine the way it turned out, especially with the ginormous sales they had on all of that stuff right after it came out, it was an absolute steal, the value was so good, that it was almost giving away half of the stuff for free, and then some. And maps full of people requires marketing, and addition of decent, replayable content. The large group of 'vets' are playing other games, etc atm because they're burned out on everything that the game has to offer. And until something new is released with a weight, and meaning to it, I doubt we'll see many of them back at all aside from the occasional poke in to say, hey; what's up? What's new? Oh, nothing? Ok, I'll check back in a couple months to see then! Later! The current state of the cosmic battles is a show of the wane in interest. When you spend 5-6 hours on one of them, you know there's a problem.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 722 Arc User
    I like it the way it is, just wish was not limited to 100 slots, now if they introduce a way to get more by buying or i per year above max slots. Example you maxed out 100 and it has been a year you would gain 1 extra slot so 101. this would have no limit and only effect those at max or more anyone below would not be effected.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    CO's F2P model is not ideal, but it's a pretty modest component in the (actually rather slow) decline in player base. There's a vicious cycle common to all small MMOs:
    1. Number of players does not justify the cost of content updates (which is relatively fixed).
    2. Lack of content updates causes loss of players.
    CO has been below that critical point for a long time; you'd probably have to go back to beta to have a real chance of fixing it.
    Post edited by pantagruel01 on
    My idea was unrealistic but... I want to see all the maps Full of people. This game should be well known, but it is not. :'(

It is well known, in the circle of people that like super heroes games. It is just, due to certain issues (lack of content for a long time, terrible balance, basic gameplay that is not very fun or rewarding (was, is better for the most part), and other stuff), people left. The people that left wanted more. There is more to this game, and people have actually returned, but, it will never return to launch numbers.
    lezard21 wrote: »
    My take would have been to make FFs available to everyone from the start, BUT the powers you get to choose from are restricted. In order to get more power options you need to level ATs to 40 at which point those powers become available.

New power sets are introduced to the game in the form of premium ATs that you purchase from the zen store.

ATs are overly specialized into one single aspect (Melee/Ranged damage, Support or Tank) and gain the bonuses from those roles, whereas FF are locked into Hybrid role (that is, no bonus to any singular aspect in exchange for being Jack of all trades)

This way, the more you play the stronger and more options you get (unlike where we currently stand where someone whose played for 7+ years stands at exactly the same place as 5 years ago), it encourages the purchase of Retrain Tokens to turn your ATs into FF once you've unlocked their respective skills, and it would encourage more people to play ATs.

LTS should have never existed (I say this as a LTS player), and instead game should have stuck to either a sub model where you get monthly premium costumes, Zen and some monthly QoL items (a one-use retcon token for instance), or have Premium Packs that give character slots, costumes and maybe some ATs.​​

If that was how they did things at the on-set, things might have been better. The biggest problem is the lack of content. Even with the additional stuff over the years, the game is still lacking.
    CO's F2P model is not ideal, but it's a pretty modest component in the (actually rather slow) decline in player base. There's a vicious cycle common to all small MMOs:
    1. Number of players does not justify the cost of content updates (which is relatively fixed).
    2. Lack of content updates causes loss of players.
    CO has been below that critical point for a long time; you'd probably have to go back to beta to have a real chance of fixing it.

Yep. So, we need a time machine...or a unrealistic money dump into CO.
  • jadejade3jadejade3 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2018

FF will be free, that way anyone can be whatever they want to be. We'll charge 500 zen for new slots.

People can just make new accounts and get extra FF slots for free. Given that there isn't any real currency sharing between alts to speak of either. The only reason for anyone to get a new slot would be to share costumes. For someone who isn't interested or doesn't mind missing some costumes on separate accounts would have no incentive to buy zen, for new slots/alts atleast.

The fact that they still allow questionite to be turned into zen is more than enough in terms of f2p, and is the saving grace for this game - in the endless sea of p2w games releasing these past few years. I wouldn't be surprised if even more jumped ship if they removed that.

jadejade3 wrote: »
    Given that there isn't any real currency sharing between alts to speak of either.

Well, there is. It is the hideout's shared account bank. In it, you can store your Globals. I heard you can also store drifter salvage...not sure about that though. It is only Questionite that is the problem.
    Given that there isn't any real currency sharing between alts to speak of either.

Well, there is. It is the hideout's shared account bank. In it, you can store your Globals. I heard you can also store drifter salvage...not sure about that though. It is only Questionite that is the problem.

Just to confirm.... yes, Drifter Salvage is shared via shared account bank too. You can also share questionite easily enough. You just put it in the exchange to trade for Zen, but at an unreasonably high level of conversion, then switch alts and cancel the trade and take the questionite.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Q can be moved between characters via the questionite exchange.

Just to confirm.... yes, Drifter Salvage is shared via shared account bank too. You can also share questionite easily enough. You just put it in the exchange to trade for Zen, but at an unreasonably high level of conversion, then switch alts and cancel the trade and take the questionite.

The ability to do this disappearing in 3... 2... 1...

[NbK]XStorm
    edited October 2018
    Every Resource is shareable, except Recognition and Event Favors/Tokens/Coins/Gears...etc. (correct me, too many Resources!!!)
    Questionite way just isn't easy enough, i guess, people to figure out. Don't know why it was made that way. I mean a simple 'Put all the Q in same slot' in Q Exchange would have been easiest way.
    Now you just:
    Zen To Buy: Doesn't really matter, it's automated when you fill 2 from below.
    Questionite Per Zen: Change this to 50
    Total Questionite To Sell: Put your Q here Max amount is 250.000Q (if i remember right)
    Hit Submit Offer To Buy
    Check the Your Outstanding Offers from right side, hit Cancel Offerer. The Q goes to your Exchange Balance, which is account wide. You can Withdraw, window pops open don't get scared, any amount of Q with any of your characters there.
    (this is the way i've done it)

Aaaand...The Exchange Balance have to be empty...So withdraw All The Q from there, then follow steps fom above...
  • jadejade3jadejade3 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2018

I obviously meant in terms of until/scr/gcr. You can simply log two clients at the same time and trade globals between the chars. For someone who doesn't bother with costumes, devices etc can be just bought on the main account and be traded similarly or even via SG bank. By this I'm trying to imply that the account bank is handy ofcourse, but not a killer feature without workarounds. Yeah trading questionite will be a pain, but since FF slots would basically be free, the only stuff reamining worth the hassle f2p would be r8/r9 catalysts, which can again be bought via globals with some patience.
    edited October 2018
    nbkxs wrote: »
    The ability to do this disappearing in 3... 2... 1...

It's been a thing for years and mentioned many times on the forums.
    For someone who doesn't bother with costumes

That someone is playing the wrong game to begin with ;)

zrdRBy8.png
    edited October 2018
    People can just make new accounts and get extra FF slots for free.
    Hah...People did that before. And the latest sub bombing pretty much destroyed those and...made people quit...
    And to think we had the ability to make free FFs like 9 years...
    :#
    And, your suggestion isn't a good one.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    I put in 400k Q for the Q trade. I think that is the current max per. And you can only have 5 "trades" out at once.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

And it never will be. There is no part of the plan that reads "Try to make CO a popular game". It's just "Try to keep it running".

Also the idea of FF being completely free has been brought up and debated for a long time here... less so lately cause most of us figured out that we're not getting that ever so debating it is a waste of time.

Aside from that, the idea you put forth in the OP is... well it's kinda bad. The numbers aren't just unrealistic, they're ridiculous. It looks less like you're trying to fill the servers and more like you're trying to get the game shut down.​​

Q can be moved between characters via the questionite exchange.

That sounds like more work than necessary.

I obviously meant in terms of until/scr/gcr. You can simply log two clients at the same time and trade globals between the chars. For someone who doesn't bother with costumes, devices etc can be just bought on the main account and be traded similarly or even via SG bank. By this I'm trying to imply that the account bank is handy ofcourse, but not a killer feature without workarounds. Yeah trading questionite will be a pain, but since FF slots would basically be free, the only stuff reamining worth the hassle f2p would be r8/r9 catalysts, which can again be bought via globals with some patience.

Well, there is a reason they don't allow those to be shared. It is not a really good reason, but, it exists. Simply put, they want you to play those characters. Also, there is a fairly small cap on the resources.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    yeah you can only hold 1k SCR at a time. Some unlocks cost 950!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    975, not 950. Wish it was balanced though between gold, and silver. End up getting stuck with 1000 gold on many characters with nothing to spend it on.
    [NbK]XStorm
    If I had extra GCR I'd burn it on mods.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    This seems relevant.
    from "Perfect Ten: Failed MMOs that could have succeeded with more love" at massivelyop.com on October 3 2018

"3. Champions Online
    Unlike a lot of other titles on this list, Champions is still running and presumably will be for a while yet to come. Even so, it’s hard to argue with the notion that the game failed to live up to its pedigree and potential. This was especially evident when City of Heroes shut down and those refugees didn’t swarm en masse to Cryptic’s follow-up superhero MMO.

What could have made Champs a success? A better free-to-play model that would allow anyone to build a character they wanted, for starters. Can we agree that this archetype stuff is nonsense? The pace of combat was a sticking point for others, especially with so many powers that were hard to sort out and use properly. I would say that ultimately this game needed a really good coating of polish and didn’t get enough of it, and that hurt it in the long run."

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited October 2018

Not really. Just stick your Q onto the exchange anytime you log on a toon that isn't your Q-Mule. When you log on your Q-Mule, pull it out. Admire large number.
    Well, there is a reason they don't allow those to be shared. It is not a really good reason, but, it exists. Simply put, they want you to play those characters.

What a terrible reason, I don't want to play my characters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)​​
    spinnytop wrote: »

Not really. Just stick your Q onto the exchange anytime you log on a toon that isn't your Q-Mule. When you log on your Q-Mule, pull it out. Admire large number.

​​

Yup, it's pretty quick and easy :)

zrdRBy8.png
    Mods cost scr as well as GCR, it's easily possible to wind up with more GCR than SCR. Only thing that cost GCR and no SCR is phoenix tear.
    massivelyop.com
    Since when do they know anything? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Mods cost scr as well as GCR, it's easily possible to wind up with more GCR than SCR. Only thing that cost GCR and no SCR is phoenix tear.
    Mmm... depends on your grinding strategy. Alert dailies are enough SCR to offset that.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    massivelyop.com
    Eh, they aren't totally wrong; the free to pay conversion was kinda botched. However, most of the basic problems predate F2P.
    But Champions Online is still the longest running superhero mmo of all time.

Well, there is a reason they don't allow those to be shared. It is not a really good reason, but, it exists. Simply put, they want you to play those characters.

What a terrible reason, I don't want to play my characters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)​​

Did not say it was a terrible reason, just, not a good one.
    edited October 2018

​​

Yup, it's pretty quick and easy :)

Still more work than it should be. Though in a way, I guess that is not much different than storing it in a shared bank.
    massivelyop.com
    Eh, they aren't totally wrong; the free to pay conversion was kinda botched. However, most of the basic problems predate F2P.

Correct, as I pointed out, there are/were other problems. Clunky/boring battle system, lack of content, missions are rather boring...though, to be fair, some of this stuff is up to the individual to determine if they agree on those points or not.
    edited October 2018
    Did not say it was a terrible reason, just, not a good one.

Mmm, semantics. Good times. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User

Champions needed a parent company which had a stake in the IP and which would provide money for investment. The inconsistency in the game and the content is down to the constant switching of developers and intention.

The funny thing about it now, of course, is that it's in the steadiest dev state it's ever been, and the lack of parent company demanding big money results is almost certainly the reason why it's still running while so many others have folded.

• Eh, they aren't totally wrong; the free to pay conversion was kinda botched. However, most of the basic problems predate F2P.

Champions needed a parent company which had a stake in the IP and which would provide money for investment. The inconsistency in the game and the content is down to the constant switching of developers and intention.

The funny thing about it now, of course, is that it's in the steadiest dev state it's ever been, and the lack of parent company demanding big money results is almost certainly the reason why it's still running while so many others have folded.

There's no pressure on the devs because CO has no competition.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

There's no pressure on the devs because CO has no competition.

And the parent company is okay with maintenance mode, since it literally costs nothing to maintain it. If that cost ever goes up . . . well it probably won't ever really, as I don't expect anything big coming. And that's fine for what this game is at this point.

Most mmos don't last this long.
    Mmm... depends on your grinding strategy. Alert dailies are enough SCR to offset that.
    Not when you spend 975 scr on a rare costume unlock.
    Not when you spend 975 scr on a rare costume unlock.
    Yellow flag! Illegal movement of goalposts!

You were talking about earning an even balance of SCR and GCR. :p

I would personally like a feature that lets you convert GCR to SCR though.

But seriously... I've done that. On Tanya I ground to get Moonstruck and then was like, OK, next up is getting GCR gear! Oh wait, I spent all my SCR... Realistically I can't use all of my characters for Cosmic hunting enough to max their GCR gain each day. So I usually end up with more SCR. but that's due to my play habits.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • theanothernametheanothername Posts: 35 Arc User
    For additional income they could add a "upgrade existing class to FF" token similar to the existing FF token already in the shop. depending on price and when I'm in a "must play CO" heat phase I might even buy it.
    edited October 2018
    For additional income they could add a "upgrade existing class to FF" token similar to the existing FF token already in the shop.
    Um...it already exists? You can use a FF token to make an existing character FF, and all ATs are legal FF builds, so if you like your AT, you can just take the same powers in the same order (you'll have 3 extra power points to use however you prefer). You'll have to manually select the powers, which is a slight hassle, but not really significant.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    For additional income they could add a "upgrade existing class to FF" token similar to the existing FF token already in the shop.
    Um...it already exists? You can use a FF token to make an existing character FF, and all ATs are legal FF builds, so if you like your AT, you can just take the same powers in the same order (you'll have 3 extra power points to use however you prefer). You'll have to manually select the powers, which is a slight hassle, but not really significant.

plus add on the 2 extra powers you will have as a FF
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• I'm a new player here with a question. So does this mean I have to buy a free form character slot for 3000 zen if I want to play with a single free form character? lol that's $30 per free form character and I was planning on creating 2 of them and buying some keys to open lock boxes... now I'm not planning on playing at all. Did I understand this correctly or do you get like 1 freeform character for free at some point? Personally I think it's disgusting to charge people $30 per character...
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    Game has to make money some how.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    I'm a new player here with a question. So does this mean I have to buy a free form character slot for 3000 zen if I want to play with a single free form character? lol that's $30 per free form character and I was planning on creating 2 of them and buying some keys to open lock boxes... now I'm not planning on playing at all. Did I understand this correctly or do you get like 1 freeform character for free at some point? Personally I think it's disgusting to charge people $30 per character...

30$ per or take the buy 2 get 1 free deal for 60$
    So does this mean I have to buy a free form character slot for 3000 zen if I want to play with a single free form character?

No it doesn't mean that. It means you can pay 3000zen for a slot, or 6000 for two, or you can farm questionite and convert that to zen and depending on how much you do that you can reduce these prices anywhere from what they are now down to 0.

now I'm not planning on playing at all.

Considering the chances that you're a sock puppet account you shouldn't really expect anybody to care about that. Even if you're not, you need to realize that there are over 7 billion people not playing this game, and we didn't care when any of them decided not to play either.​​
  • dreadjaws2dreadjaws2 Posts: 58 Arc User
    The one thing I would have liked is that they had given old players a FF slot for free when they made the change. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the Premium Pack, but still...
    dreadjaws2 wrote: »
    The one thing I would have liked is that they had given old players a FF slot for free when they made the change. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the Premium Pack, but still...
    They kinda did, all players who had ever subbed got PP free.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters