test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What If? Champions Online: Battle Royale

What if they shut the main game down and turn it into a Battle Royle game concept?
With all the character customising, costume wise. And with limited "Free Form" powering selection.

Let's be nice and polite.
CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• Options
    sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    What if they shut the main game down and turn it into a Battle Royle game concept?
    With all the character customising, costume wise. And with limited "Free Form" powering selection.

Well for me, I would quit playing, I cannot stand PvP so the whole idea of a Battle Royale, is just not for me.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

{checks Cryptic’s record with PvP in their games}
    {checks the entire industry’s record with chasing trends after games with unassailable leads emerge}

Yeah, I’d throw this on the pile of discarded games marked “Doesn’t matter if they’re good or clever because they’re late to market” with Battleborn, Gigantic, DC Infinite Crisis, MxM, and Lawbreakers.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    You'd basically have to write a new game to turn it into a battle royale type game, and if you were doing that you'd use a newer game engine, would have no real reason to tie it to the Champions IP, and would have no particular reason to shut down the MMO since it's a totally different code stream.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I'm in agreement with the Sarge up there. I don't do PvP if I can possibly avoid it, and if that ever came to pass I just wouldn't play.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    ^^ Ditto
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Reminds me when OVs were made to get peeps into pvp. look how much of a joke it turned out. Also, I don't think it should be called "Freeform" if it is limited. How about "Specific Powerset"?

Anywho, if the game turned to another ego-flaunting-pvp-schtick, I'd probably just quit the game since I don't need more toxicity and salt in my life.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I would quit, CO has always been exclusively PvE game for me
    and most importantly because I despise PvP and I cannot stand the toxicity of the PvP community
    Following the Battle Royale gimmick would be the kiss of death for the game in a ridiculous oversaturated market of Battle Royale games with everyone and their mothers trying to cash in on that fad

{checks Cryptic’s record with PvP in their games}
    {checks the entire industry’s record with chasing trends after games with unassailable leads emerge}

Yeah, I’d throw this on the pile of discarded games marked “Doesn’t matter if they’re good or clever because they’re late to market” with Battleborn, Gigantic, DC Infinite Crisis, MxM, and Lawbreakers.

Along with Lawbreakers don't forget Radical Heights which was the death of Boss Key Productions studio :grimace:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I don't typically do well in PvP, but any big change would get me to start playing again.
    I haven't logged on in ages.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    So... turn the entire game into BASH? Well shoot, what could go wrong.​​
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    As I said I am not a PvP'er, never could stand it and I started playing online games with Ultima Online back in 90s before it had Trammel. BUT saying that I know there are players who enjoy PvP so maybe the Dev Team could make a Battle Royale like Event for those who love PvP?

Unless there is something like this already?
  • Options
    sgtken60 wrote: »
    As I said I am not a PvP'er, never could stand it and I started playing online games with Ultima Online back in 90s before it had Trammel. BUT saying that I know there are players who enjoy PvP so maybe the Dev Team could make a Battle Royale like Event for those who love PvP?

Yes, it's called BASH. It's in the Hero Games queue. It's a free-for-all pvp match. It's also a salt mine. BASH pvp in this game has a long history of degeneracy and scum-baggery. 2015 was the height of BASH deviancy, and anyone involved knows why a "battle royale" version of CO would be just awful.​​
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

Or they could remove PVP from CO and make a PVP superhero/villans game. Would make way more sense considering how uninspiring pvp is in CO. Plus, making a new game they would be able to fine tune the balance of things for PVP instead of PVE. Plus, a PVP game should not really be with this style of combat. If you want a true PVP game, you have to have free targeting and no target locking (except for specific powers that home in on their target, but, you'd have to paint the target first (so to speak)). CO's engine and the very small PVP community would not support this idea overall. Would have to be a different game altogether.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Yes, it's called BASH. It's in the Hero Games queue. It's a free-for-all pvp match. It's also a salt mine. BASH pvp in this game has a long history of degeneracy and scum-baggery. 2015 was the height of BASH deviancy, and anyone involved knows why a "battle royale" version of CO would be just awful.​​
    There's really nothing exceptional about BASH; that kind of stuff is standard for FFA PvP games. A battle royale version of CO would be ... a battle royale game. I doubt most of the current player base would be interested, and there isn't really anything about CO that would pull battle royale players away from more established games.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    soulforger wrote: »

Or they could remove PVP from CO and make a PVP superhero/villans game. Would make way more sense considering how uninspiring pvp is in CO. Plus, making a new game they would be able to fine tune the balance of things for PVP instead of PVE. Plus, a PVP game should not really be with this style of combat. If you want a true PVP game, you have to have free targeting and no target locking (except for specific powers that home in on their target, but, you'd have to paint the target first (so to speak)). CO's engine and the very small PVP community would not support this idea overall. Would have to be a different game altogether.

We can have free targeting. Been using that for like 9 years.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Eh, we really only have 1 attack that qualifies for what he's asking for. Everything else is still lock-on targeting where once you've initiated an attack it's going to hit its target no matter what they do. He's talking about a system where you could move out of the way of attacks to avoid them. We could kinda have that if they made everything work like Plasma Beam. I mean hey we are talking about ideas that would be complete train wrecks so I figured I'd bring up that one.​​
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I would quit instantly.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    I would drop CO forever and ever. I barely log in now. That would be nail in the coffin.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    If CO turned into a pvp-only game, then...yeah bye.

As much as I love the tailor and customization, if GIT GUD NUB FITE ME was the only other thing to do, it wouldn't hold my interest.

Edit: After watching "certain pvpers" in ren center for the last few nights, I don't want to imagine all of CO being like that all the time. Gross.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »

Spinny understood what I was meaning. Basically, think your typical FPS.
  • Options
    There's really nothing exceptional about BASH; that kind of stuff is standard for FFA PvP games. A battle royale version of CO would be ... a battle royale game. I doubt most of the current player base would be interested, and there isn't really anything about CO that would pull battle royale players away from more established games.

Well I am petty new to the game, so I did not know for sure. But since it is PvP I most likely never looked, but thanks for letting me know.

And far as SALT, I used to play World of Warships, it is really, really salt heavy.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    And far as SALT, I used to play World of Warships, it is really, really salt heavy.
    enough to make the oceans crystalize and let people play World of Tanks on the Pacific Plain yet? :p

Seriously though, this thread is dumb. the devs have no reason to do any of this.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    enough to make the oceans crystalize and let people play World of Tanks on the Pacific Plain yet? :p

Seriously though, this thread is dumb. the devs have no reason to do any of this.

Yeah WoWs is BAD, the salt content in game would make Neptune sick. It is at times 24/7 of "you do not know how to play" or as they "Git Good".
  • Options

Yeah WoWs is BAD, the salt content in game would make Neptune sick. It is at times 24/7 of "you do not know how to play" or as they "Git Good".

hence why I play WoWarships infrequently and even when I do, it is against the bots. Freaking bots are way to good with torps though.
  • Options

Well I mean that game does take place on the ocean...​​
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Ocean made of salty tears!!!
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »

Well I mean that game does take place on the ocean...​​
    Ocean made of salty tears!!!

Yeah I know, but some of the outright hate that is spewed across the chat is just ridiculous. Heck I spend 8yrs in the USN and I can cuss like a sailor.

BUT I seen stuff said in WoWs chat that would make a sailor blush.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Posts: 68 Arc User
    Like many of you people here, I have many years of time and lots of money invested in CO. However (hypothetically speaking), if this turned into another MOBA or another Pvp-centric game, I would have to uninstall. I am not against PvP, per se, but I am against having a forced PvP environment. If we could "flag" ourselves and opt-in/out in open world... or have specific PvP zones in social areas, I would be fine with that.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Permanent -uninstal
    temporary- go play something else till the dick waving stupidity is over.
    Ixionveridian- OV was meant to be optin. I told them on the PTS exactly how people would get around it and they did.
    It still isn't fixed.
    We now have OV week and Thrash boss fights, let's see how long till people as OV's turn up for free kills.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg