test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you were going to open 100 lock boxes ...

Just wondering what lock boxes people would open if they had a sudden windfall of 100 keys, and why they would open those in particular?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Collectors is probably the best way to make money, if that's what you're after.
    biffsig.jpg
  • collectors...always collectors​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Or sell them and get what you really want.......... you can get 8000g plus for them
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    giphy.gif
    EVERYWAAAGHTHING!!!!!!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    Probably Socrates' Data Cache or Forum Malvanum Lockbox, if I had 100 of them. Mostly because they have Become Device + 3xLegion drops and Vehicle + 3x Legion drops, there should be a decent chance of getting at least 2 of those drops with 100 opened. The Collector's is a close third option.

The Grav Bike and Hover Tank Lockboxes have worse drops than most other lockboxes. The Corrosive and Buccaneer Lockboxes are the only ones I can think of that are worse.

But if I had the Z to buy 100 Keys, I'd probably grab whatever costumes and travel powers I don't have yet before getting any Keys.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Well, it's more like I set myself the objective of seeing how long it would take me to acquire 100 keys by a combination of selling 1,000,000 Q and selling various things acquired in play for Gs and then buying keys with the Gs. Now I can splurge and see what I get for free.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Just wondering what lock boxes people would open if they had a sudden windfall of 100 keys, and why they would open those in particular?
    Depends on the timing in the lockbox cycle. If you're opening anything but collector's, you want to open when the box first comes out.
    I once opened 101 Takofanes II lockboxes. All I have to show for it is two Become Celestials and a buttload of dinosaur costume sets. Anyone need one? 😆
    biffsig.jpg
    I once opened 101 Takofanes II lockboxes. All I have to show for it is two Become Celestials and a buttload of dinosaur costume sets. Anyone need one? 😆
    The Become Celestials are pretty decently valuable. Dino sets, not so much.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Only suckers open lockboxes. Sell the keys buy what you want from the AH
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I don't think the collectors is worth it. The vouchers are SO rare that you're better off opening something like the arcane box that had the nice costume that everyone wanted, and the really nice flight and device, or maybe buccaneer's now is also worth it. Since those costumes everyone wanted.
    [NbK]XStorm

Yup. The Celestials are great, they make just about every XP alert winnable. I never do one without them anymore.
    biffsig.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Collectors. I actually have opened 100 of them in one sitting. I was trying to get that ticket. You know the one. I didn't btw.​​
  • i only open 20 at any given time and routinely get all manner of vouchers from any given session - last one was the other day, in fact, and netted me 3 gold vouchers; 1 costume b and 1 each special item a/b...and a bunch of purples that i didn't particularly care about enough to note what types i got

the fact that pretty much every opening of collector's boxes i've done since its release has netted me a minimum of 3 vouchers tells me that i am either INSANELY lucky (which is highly unlikely given my lackluster results of other game's lockboxes) the chances for vouchers to drop is fairly high (possible, but given the company that makes CO...highly unlikely is more probable) or it's something i'm doing when i open the boxes, because i always spam-click the **** out of them - i don't open one, look at what i got, open another one...and so on​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited October 2018
    Purple vouchers are pretty common. The one people seem to always be wanting and not getting is gold special A, as I recall.
  • not really sure why...loyal sidekicks aren't all THAT great, and TP unlocks and devices are mostly for specific theme flavoring - i would expect costume and vehicle vouchers to be the big-ticket gold prizes​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    TP unlocks are AWESOME for character flavor.... I can see why you wouldn't care if your flavor is hairball, but a lot of people like them.

Sidekicks may do less damage than your character, but they're pretty good for keeping you from getting overwhelmed by armies of mooks. Realistically you shouldn't need them, but they make things easier.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Yup. The Celestials are great, they make just about every XP alert winnable. I never do one without them anymore.

You can actually lose Alerts!??? Git Gud, Dood.
    Can't. I'm me.
    biffsig.jpg
    flyingfinn wrote: »

If you get teamed with a potato, a slightly wet pet rock, Mr. Ayy Effie Kay and Cat Who Hits Keys at Random in a timed alert.

If you get teamed with a potato, a slightly wet pet rock, Mr. Ayy Effie Kay and Cat Who Hits Keys at Random in a timed alert.
    None of the xp alerts are timed, but if everyone is so squishy they can't keep the boss in combat so his health resets (more likely if some people go afk or give up and quit) you can be unable to win.
    not really sure why...loyal sidekicks aren't all THAT great, and TP unlocks and devices are mostly for specific theme flavoring - i would expect costume and vehicle vouchers to be the big-ticket gold prizes

There's one that has devices, like the Draysha Super Charger. That's the one I'm always trying to get, so I can try to compete with Vixen Mighty's dps again.​​
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    ah the Draysha suicide device.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

chaelk wrote: »
    ah the Draysha suicide device.
    It makes being a healer a bit fun since it basically give me free healing credit. And by that I mean healing whoever is using it, not healing myself.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    This

Or really, this
    Or sell them and get what you really want.......... you can get 8000g plus for them
    Selling the keys will likely net you WAY more money than opening boxes. Also, don't play the Lotto, also a sucker's bet.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    Or do what I do, open a bunch of lockboxes and then just shove all the stuff you get into your bank and then just let it sit there cause you're too lazy to put it on the exchange.​​
    edited October 2018
    I don't mind playing the Lotto when I didn't put any real money into it. This is just excess in-game wealth I am spending.
    This

Or really, this
    Selling the keys will likely net you WAY more money than opening boxes. Also, don't play the Lotto, also a sucker's bet.

JwLmWoa.png
    giphy.gif
    ??
    giphy.gif

JwLmWoa.png
    giphy.gif
    ??
    I think it's a representation of your odds of getting the top prize.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited October 2018
    ??

You might be confused because you assumed it was directed at you. Just a thought. Either that or you don't know what scratch off tickets are. Do they not have those in every western country?​​
  • darthmaxusdarthmaxus Posts: 12 Arc User
    Messing with lockboxes is a lot like playing the lottery. You win some and you lose some. Getting 100 keys and using them makes for some pretty nice Drifter Salvage though.

Possibly. I did start the thread. Also, I don't speak Finnish.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    ??

You might be confused because you assumed it was directed at you. Just a thought. Either that or you don't know what scratch off tickets are. Do they not have those in every western country?​​

JwLmWoa.png
    It was just about what the odds are in lottery. Nothing more.
    Also, I don't speak Finnish.
    And Finnish word for a 'loser' is luuseri. Now you speak Finnish. :#

It was just about what the odds are in lottery. Nothing more.
    Also, I don't speak Finnish.
    And Finnish word for a 'loser' is luuseri. Now you speak Finnish. :#
    Sorry, but everyone knows that the only Finnish word in existence is "perkele" :lol:
    perkele always makes me think of percolator, and then I want coffee.​​
  • Noob question here, how do you get lock boxes? In particular I only got this game after seeing the Shaolin lock box, I like that oni slayer costume and want to make an ironfist style character to play with... Where do I get those lock boxes from and how likely is it (on average how many keys do I need) to actually unlock the costume and the ultimate power?
  • fahrin1fahrin1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    Noob question here, how do you get lock boxes? In particular I only got this game after seeing the Shaolin lock box, I like that oni slayer costume and want to make an ironfist style character to play with... Where do I get those lock boxes from and how likely is it (on average how many keys do I need) to actually unlock the costume and the ultimate power?

Old lockboxes can be purchased on the auction exchange for resources. So you can buy the Shaolin ones there. It would probably take a lot of keys to get EXACTLY what you are looking for, however, you can also buy those items directly from the exchange as well. So there is a chance those specific pieces you are looking for are directly for sale already.
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited October 2018

100 keys!, heck I would be happy with just two key!
    =)=)=)=)
    If you play long enough you can acquire enough resources (Questionite and Gs) to buy vast numbers of keys without using any real money at all. Just takes time.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited October 2018
    If you play long enough you can acquire enough resources (Questionite and Gs) to buy vast numbers of keys without using any real money at all. Just takes time.

Yeah, I have been reading the web, I started Whiteout this morning :)

BUT it would be nice if a key would drop, like 1 in 1000 as loot, or something to that effect.
    The higher end/end game content will give you the most Q and most salable items. Just got to get up to lvl 40 for the most effective farming. Having multiple high end characters can also speed up farming if you start hitting daily caps.
    JwLmWoa.png
    The higher end/end game content will give you the most Q and most salable items. Just got to get up to lvl 40 for the most effective farming. Having multiple high end characters can also speed up farming if you start hitting daily caps.

Copy that, I only have two ATs at the moment one at LvL21 and one at LvL10, the level ten is my Savage which I just unlocked thanks to the Halloween Event, he is doing Whiteout.
  • fahrin1fahrin1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    As the story missions like Whiteout award 5k Questionite, if you have problems doing it, you can always try finding someone in zone chat to help. Sometimes you can find a high level to help since people can use the Q.
    fahrin1 wrote: »
    As the story missions like Whiteout award 5k Questionite, if you have problems doing it, you can always try finding someone in zone chat to help. Sometimes you can find a high level to help since people can use the Q.

Copy that and thank you.
  • mrfreakensteinmrfreakenstein Posts: 40 Arc User
    None, just sell the keys. The odds of getting the rare drop you wanted are just astronomically bad. I opened over 300 Collectors boxes on PTS to get one Gold Spec A.
    One.
    I dunno about you guys but I don't have hundreds of dollars to waste on a "chance" to get something.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Assuming I'm not allowed to just sell them, then yeah, Collectors just because it 1) lets me keep anything I might want, and 2) auction off stuff I don't want with a greater likelihood that it'll sell. I'm not exactly a fan of RNG lockboxes though, so yeah.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).