test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Envisioning an Archery Revamp

deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
It's that time again. Let's get on with it.

Strafe - T0
50 Foot, Single-target Energy Builder, Piercing Damage
+Unlike other energy builders, the first shot is fired quickly and subsequent shots are slower.
2-point Advantage - Critical Hits with this power grant Aversion, increasing Dodge and Avoidance scaling with Dexterity.

Straight Shot - T0
100 Foot, Single-target Blast, Piercing Damage
+Fully charging this attack grants Hawkeye, decreasing the time it takes to charge Archery attacks by 7.5% for each stack, capping at 3 stacks. This power does not refresh Hawkeye.
2-point Advantage - Applies Puncture on full charge, reducing the target's Piercing Resistance primarily, and all Non-Physical damage secondarily.
2-point Advantage - Applies or refreshes Clinging Flames on full charge.
2-point Advantage - Applies or refreshes Bleeding on full charge.
2-point Advantage - Applies or refreshes Deadly Poison on full charge.
2-point Advantage - Applies Illumination in a 15 Foot Sphere around the caster and Illuminated to the target on full charge.
3-point Advantage - Break through
1-point Advantage - Challenge
1-point Advantage - Accelerated Metabolism

Sonic Arrow - T1
100 Foot, 15 Feet Sphere Charged AoE, Piercing and Sonic Damage
+Deals Piercing Damage to the selected target and Sonic Damage to all targets. Disorients all targets based on charge.
+Stuns primary target on full charge.
-Short Cooldown.
2-point Advantage - Increases Sonic Damage and stuns all targets on a full charge.
2-point Advantage - Knocks Back all targets and snares them, negates stun effect of the power.

Torrent of Arrows - T1
100 Foot, 30-60 Degree Cone Charged AoE, Piercing Damage
+AoE Cone becomes wider the more the power is charged.
2-point Advantage - Deals more damage with less targets.
2-point Advantage - Knocks Back all targets and snares them.

Hunter's Instinct - T1
Energy Unlock
+Grants a large spike of energy when Critically hitting with Archery attacks. Energy gained scales with Intelligence, and is affected by Endurance.

Evasive Maneuvers - T1
60 Foot Reverse Lunge
+Grants the user moderate Dodge chance.
-Short Cooldown.
2-point Advantage - Functions as a Threat Wipe.
2-point Advantage - Restoration

Quarry - T1
Slotted Passive
+Primarily increases Piercing Damage, Secondarily increases all Non-Physical Damage.
+Provides a small boost to Dodge and Avoidance.
+Grants a small amount of healing over time when enemies within 50 Feet are defeated.
+Grants a small amount of energy when enemies Dodge your attacks.

Snap Shot - T2
100 Foot, Single-Target Tap, Piercing Damage
+This power gains +25% Severity.
+Refreshes Hawkeye.
2-point Advantage - Bonus damage to targets low on health.
2-point Advantage - Roots and Snares the target.

Taser Arrow - T2
100 Foot, Single-Target Charged, Piercing and Electricity Damage
+Paralyzes the target and drains energy.
2-point Advantage - Applies Negative Ions, targets already affected by Negative Ions will refresh it, utilizing a circuit.
2-point Advantage - Deals additional damage to targets with higher energy. Targets without energy will take additional damage without the condition needing to be met.

Gas Arrow - T2
100 Foot, 15 Foot Sphere Tap, Toxic Damage
+Creates a Gas Cloud that deals Toxic Damage and impairs the vision of enemies standing inside of it.
-Short Cooldown.
2-point Advantage - Snares targets, sometimes Paralyzing them in the cloud.
2-point Advantage - Targets inside have a chance to be Poisoned.

Archer's Jump - T2
50 Foot, 45 Foot Cone Tap, 60 Feet Reverse Lunge, Piercing Damage
+Jumps the user away from the location, leaving behind a quick pelting of arrows.
-Short Cooldown.
2-point Advantage - Grants the user additional Dodge and Evasion.
2-point Advantage - Roots all targets.
2-point Advantage - Restoration

Storm of Arrows - T2
100 Foot, 15 Foot Sphere AoE Maintain, Piercing Damage
+Has a chance to deal additional Piercing Damage up to twice each tick.
2-point Advantage - Grants the user additional Dodge and Evasion while maintaining.
2-point Advantage - The longer this power is maintained, the longer the power will persist after the user stops maintaining. (Akin to Snow Storm)
2-point Advantage - Roots all targets.

Audacity - T2
Active Offense
+Grants the user additional Damage and Penetration for the duration.
-Long Cooldown, shared among other Active Offenses.
2-point Advantage - Every second while this power is active, grants the user scaling Dodge Chance, persisting and fading a short time after the power ends.

Focused Shot - T3
120 Foot, 3 Foot Cylinder Charged, Piercing Damage
+Deals significant damage to all targets in a line.
-Must be fully charged. (But at least you won't be stopped by someone looking at you any more)
2-point Advantage - Knocks Down all targets and snares them.

Explosive Arrow - T3
100 Foot, 10 Foot Sphere Charged, Piercing and Fire Damage
+Deals Piercing Damage to the main target and Fire Damage to all targets.
+Applies Clinging Flames to all targets
2-point Advantage - Creates a Pyre Patch.
2-point Advantage - The Fire Damage portion of this power is delayed, but penetrates 10% Resistance.

Company of Archers - T4
50 Foot Sphere Charged, Uncontrolled Summon, Ultimate
+Once used, summons an Archer plus one for each target around you up to 5 total Archers.
+Each Archer will use Storm of Arrows constantly until they expire.
-Must be fully charged.
-Long Cooldown.
2-point Advantage - Each Archer will randomly apply one of the following with their attacks: Bleeding, Poison, or Clinging Flames.​​
Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I've added your thread to the master list of suggested set reveamps!

I like the spirit behind it! A few things I noticed:
    • Kudos to including the Challenge and Accelerated Metabolism advantages on applicable powers. I think many of these advantages are assumed to exist on power suggestions regardless of whether they are listed or not, so it might detract/clutter a bit from the main point you're trying to make about your set.
    • Hawkeye, a buff that shortens charge attacks, doesn't exactly have a powerful charge attack with which to utilize its gimmick with, other than Straight Shot itself. That could be a problem because Straight Shot's advantage loadout makes it better suited to be a defense-debuff utility. Speaking of which:
    • Straight Shot right now would be the only option in the set to apply the Puncture debuff.
    • I'm totally behind Straight Shot having the option to bleed/poison targets, it fits perfectly. Opens up some awesome doors for sword and bow builds.
    • I'm not keen on the changes made to Quarry, specifically its 'piercing damage only' change to its primary damage boost. At the same time I don't know if having it still provide only a marginal boost to all other damage types is preferable either if most of the upper-tier of Archery attacks are going to remain dual-type attacks. One thing I do like, however, is that at least from what I'm reading it takes away the requirement to use Int on the passive to get benefits.
    • That said, Hunters Instinct being Int-based is a bit curious when the current iteration of Archery here isn't particularly Int-focused anymore. What would the final stat loadout of an Archery DPS look like in this situation? If it's not going to include dex, the set would probably benefit a ton from having ways in itself to apply Furious (which, at least from the minor theming of the buff, isn't exactly an adjective you'd use to describe an archer. Kind of a shame because passive healing + crit chance fit it very well).
    • While having secondary, other-set debuffs and effects on attacks such as Taser Arrow and Explosive Arrow are useful for cross-set builds, I'd think a great feature to include are advantages that tie the use of these trick arrows back to Archery itself. Puncture Refresh? Maybe some secondary buff that makes targets move slower and become easier targets? Who knows?
    • Storm of Arrows idea: The snow-storm esque advantage is cool. What if it turned the power into a click that just causes it to rain arrows for a set duration though? Just fire a ton of arrows into the air and they gradually rain down in that radius. Now you have time to shoot the enemy with more arrows while that's happening!
    • Even with it being non-interruptable I'm not sure Focused Shot will be a popular choice, especially when the set already has access to more powerful and wider-area AoEs like Torrent and Storm of Arrows.
    • I know standards are kind of boring, but the biggest improvement you could give to Archery is some kind of strong, main option for single-target damage at tier 3. Focused Shot seems like it could be a good option for this considering it originally was a single-target attack.
    • Movement buffs such as Charged Up would help the set out immensely. With the current loadout/design logos of the set, note that Archery attacks globally have ranges of 100 feet or more (aside from Strafe) and almost none of them root the user.
    • The current way the set is going also makes me interested if there would be some possibility of an Archery ability that just refreshes all DoTs, considering how many it can potentially mix together with bleed, poison, clinging flames...
    Post edited by bluhman on
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User
    Like the ideas! But I think any archery revamp needs to include some aesthetic options for your arrows, so that high-tech/gadget isn't the only thing firing out of your bow (which looks weird from my wood elf themed toon or any non-tech origin). A generic fantasy arrow, stone age/flint arrow, light/psionic arrows, elemental variants (fire, ice, lightning bolt), etc - heck, even just the option to turn the "grenade/taser strapped to an arrow" into a regular arrow so we don't break character concepts would be great. Just my two cents.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    This set needs the most help out of all of them sans maybe wind. The dmg as the way's currently standing is abysmal at very best. It's got some decent CC stuff in there, but aside from that, it's a set to just pretend doesn't exist, same goes for wind, save for hurricane, which is the only decent power in that set. Let's hope that archery gets some love soon enough.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    bluhman wrote: »
    Hawkeye, a buff that shortens charge attacks, doesn't exactly have a powerful charge attack with which to utilize its gimmick with, other than Straight Shot itself. That could be a problem because Straight Shot's advantage loadout makes it better suited to be a defense-debuff utility.

The idea with Hawkeye was that players would build up its stacks and refresh them all using Snap Shot since Straight Shot doesn't do that. Once all the stacks are in place, the player could use Explosive Arrow or Focused Shot and cut the time it takes to cast either by a grand total of 22.5%. I thought about maybe Hawkeye being more potent, but figured that 10% Charge time reduction for a single stack would be a bit much.
    That said, Hunters Instinct being Int-based is a bit curious when the current iteration of Archery here isn't particularly Int-focused anymore. What would the final stat loadout of an Archery DPS look like in this situation? If it's not going to include dex, the set would probably benefit a ton from having ways in itself to apply Furious (which, at least from the minor theming of the buff, isn't exactly an adjective you'd use to describe an archer. Kind of a shame because passive healing + crit chance fit it very well).

I like the idea of doing a Dex, Int-X or Int, Dex-X setup for Archery instead of a more generic Ego, Dex-X or Dex, Ego-X setup. Something a bit more "off-meta", I guess you could call it.
    While having secondary, other-set debuffs and effects on attacks such as Taser Arrow and Explosive Arrow are useful for cross-set builds, I'd think a great feature to include are advantages that tie the use of these trick arrows back to Archery itself. Puncture Refresh? Maybe some secondary buff that makes targets move slower and become easier targets? Who knows?

Yeah, I kinda overlooked Puncture after I placed it on Straight Shot. I'm thinking Puncture Refresh would belong right along with Snap Shot as an advantage for sure, maybe application to all targets after a full maintain of Storm of Arrows with an advantage too. I'm not really sure, other than making a new power that might accidentally make the advantage on Straight Shot redundant.
    Even with it being non-interruptable I'm not sure Focused Shot will be a popular choice, especially when the set already has access to more powerful and wider-area AoEs like Torrent and Storm of Arrows.

I saw Focused Shot and thought to myself... "Man, I kinda wish it was more like Monster Hunter's Dragon Piercer move." Lo and behold, the original advantage makes it close to that, but there was also Focused Shot's main drawback of being interrupted the moment something looked at you funny. So I more or less decided instead of it being like Sniper Rifle, I'd want it more like Force Cascade, or Wind's Typhoon. It still keeps the long range and full charge requirement, but with the same capable satisfaction of an arrow piercing multiple targets.
    I know standards are kind of boring, but the biggest improvement you could give to Archery is some kind of strong, main option for single-target damage at tier 3. Focused Shot seems like it could be a good option for this considering it originally was a single-target attack.

Maybe something along the lines of an Archery version of Defile would be something to look at? Could call it "Impact Arrow" or something. Has a chance to apply that Puncture debuff, but not a guarantee of it. Maybe deal additional damage dealt for each stack of Hawkeye? There's all sorts of ideas to toy with.
    Movement buffs such as Charged Up would help the set out immensely. With the current loadout/design logos of the set, note that Archery attacks globally have ranges of 100 feet or more (aside from Strafe) and almost none of them root the user.

That does sound pretty interesting, maybe adding them as advantages on Evasive Maneuvers and Archer's Jump would be appropriate?​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Legit didn't catch the refresh on snap shot, my bad.

Actually now really seeing Hawkeye's buff alongside Focused Shot makes a lot of sense.

I think Snap Shot could be retooled into the single-target attack the set needs, which I mention since I'm not sure how one could sell "shoot an arrow but MORE POWERFULLY" any better for that attack type. Right now, on most of my DPS Archery Setups, Snapshot's the main attack I use when fighting single targets, which serves as this great stream of arrow shots that leads to an activation of Avenger Mastery, and then into a sudden rapid Straight Shot.

Given that setup, however, that has some issues since the main debuff of Archery is based off of Straight Shot's current workings which only provides defense debuff for like the next 2/4 archery attacks (and several Snap Shots counts as a lot more than that). That's certainly a way that Puncture could operate since that's just a time limit. Also consider how much a properly-functioning EB would help with this kind of attack cycle, as I usually find when I attempt it that I run dry of energy, even with that high INT statting.

Under the new setup the problem likely would be Hawkeye ending up overpowered or somehow broken when combined with stuff like Avenger Mastery. Now suddenly you have a blast that charges 77.5% faster.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))