test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How much does gear improve your DPS?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited August 2018 in Power Discussion
So long long ago I made another thread where I estimated that Justice improves your dps by about 10%. So today I decided to actually do parses while wearing various gear to find the actual improvements.

For this test I used Enraged, Cleave, and Unstoppable with a Strength Primary Brawler/Vindicator setup. I used a macro to just have my character spam Cleave for about five minutes so it would be nice and consistent ( and so I didn't have to sit there clicking for that whole time ). Here are the results:
YAwPw0i.jpg

So we can see that my earlier estimation of about 10% was pretty damn close. We also see that slicers gloves on their own are as big of an upgrade as upgrading all your mercs to GCR pieces, so that should make it clear why they're locked behind the OV grind - if they were on the GCR vendor they would need to cost as much as 3 GCR pieces. Also we see that the biggest increase comes from piling DUC and Slicers on top of GCR gear, where the multiplicative nature of these upgrades really starts to rocket things skyward.

Rando auction house gear -> Heroic & Determined 2ndaries
Switched to Annihilate for this
X9MZ6GR.jpg

Comparisons of dps for various tank setups ( stacking Con, in tank role ):
jRpEntL.jpg

Title says DPS but whatever, I'm throwing this comparison of mitigation in as well:
YGIi9Wp.png​​
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Interesting, thanks for the tests. I assume w/ the DUC you're referring to replacing a mod slot w/ it and not from adding it to an empty slot. If so, what mod did you replace w/ it?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Depends on mods too, esp if you can't get your DPS mod in there, I think my lightning character went from about 3100 in crap purple secs, and r5'd heroic, to about 6200 once I got all her ov/r9s/justice stuff on her.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for the tests. I assume w/ the DUC you're referring to replacing a mod slot w/ it and not from adding it to an empty slot. If so, what mod did you replace w/ it?

It was a R7 Gambler's gem.

nbkxs wrote: »
    Depends on mods too, esp if you can't get your DPS mod in there, I think my lightning character went from about 3100 in crap purple secs, and r5'd heroic, to about 6200 once I got all her ov/r9s/justice stuff on her.

I mean sure, someone could choose not to slot a damage mod in their mercs but that's not a function of the gear itself. All the mods I used were R7 for that added touch of realism, except the damage mod which was R9. I kept the mods the same rank across all gears so as to not muddy the results. R7-R9 mods do fit into mercs.

I could also do a test to see how much of an increase comes from going from R5 mods to R7, and from the damage mod. I was actually going to test secondaries too, I just forgot. For this test I had Determined secondaries in Defense and Utility slots, and swapped the slicers out with a purple str/crit rating secondary.​​
    edited August 2018
    did rando gear to heroic and determined cause someone asked about it elsewhere. At some point I may do the entire list from full rando up to justice+determined+slicers just to have it as one big thing... when I feel like sitting around testing again.​​
    edited August 2018
    More spreadsheets \o/ I look forward to this information quickly being made obsolete by changes to GCR gear stats o3o​​
  • thewinxfairythewinxfairy Posts: 70 Arc User
    What about virtuous with DUC with Slicers? Just curious
    What about virtuous with DUC with Slicers? Just curious

1% to 2% less than Justice with DUC + Slicers.​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    did rando gear to heroic and determined cause someone asked about it elsewhere. At some point I may do the entire list from full rando up to justice+determined+slicers just to have it as one big thing... when I feel like sitting around testing again.​​

Might as well do naked while you're in there.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.

Only if you can give me an example of a situation where someone would ever be naked.​​

Only if you can give me an example of a situation where someone would ever be naked.​​

I have some etchings...
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    YAwPw0i.jpg

Could you do Distinguished + DUC, Distinguished + DUC and Slicer, Virtuous + DUC and Virtuous + DUC/Slicers too plz.
    I'm lazy and you are just better than me and king of all​​
    No sorry I'm very busy sleeping in a basket of leaves.
    giphy-facebook_s.jpg​​
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Slicers seem more than a little overtuned to me. I mean sniper gloves aren't nearly as good. And the tank gloves generate less threat than then slicer gloves do, for a melee tank.

Where are my OP gloves for ranged maintains at?
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    Slicers seem more than a little overtuned to me. I mean sniper gloves aren't nearly as good. And the tank gloves generate less threat than then slicer gloves do, for a melee tank.

Where are my OP gloves for ranged maintains at?

How so? Defender gloves give you 10% more threat based on your damage and Slicer gloves give 10% more damage via a DoT. Seems to be the same. Except Defender gloves give you the shielding while Slicers give actual damage.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    warcanch wrote: »
    How so? Defender gloves give you 10% more threat based on your damage and Slicer gloves give 10% more damage via a DoT. Seems to be the same. Except Defender gloves give you the shielding while Slicers give actual damage.​​
    Defender gloves give you threat equal to 10% of your base (pre-mitigation) damage, unaffected by other threat mods. Thus, if you're doing a base of 800 dps and a real 600 dps to a target, it's adding 80 threat per second.
    Slicer gloves give you damage equal to 10% of your base damage, so in the above example it's +80 base dps, +60 actual dps. This damage is affected by other threat modifiers. Assuming you have a +80% threat modifier and 35% from Confronts, that works out to (60x1.8) = +108 threat per second from damage, and (80x0.35) = +28 threat per second from Confronts; total +136 threat per second.
    Slicer damage is effected by damage mitigation tho ye?​​
    warcanch wrote: »
    Defender gloves give you threat equal to 10% of your base (pre-mitigation) damage, unaffected by other threat mods. Thus, if you're doing a base of 800 dps and a real 600 dps to a target, it's adding 80 threat per second.
    Slicer gloves give you damage equal to 10% of your base damage, so in the above example it's +80 base dps, +60 actual dps. This damage is affected by other threat modifiers. Assuming you have a +80% threat modifier and 35% from Confronts, that works out to (60x1.8) = +108 threat per second from damage, and (80x0.35) = +28 threat per second from Confronts; total +136 threat per second.

Dammit, I REALLY do not want to do another OV farm to swap Slicers for my Defenders!
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Dammit, I REALLY do not want to do another OV farm to swap Slicers for my Defenders!

You only have to do it if you really really want to compete with other tanks for that main tank spot. My suggestion is to let the tryhards have it. Not like anybody other than them notices are cares.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Unless you're having trouble with threat, don't bother. Even if you are, well, you'd get as big a bonus out of increasing your dps by 4% as you get out of slicer gloves, and there may be easier ways to boost your dps that much.
    Unless you're having trouble with threat, don't bother. Even if you are, well, you'd get as big a bonus out of increasing your dps by 4% as you get out of slicer gloves, and there may be easier ways to boost your dps that much.

Ah cool, thanks for rationalizing me out of that!
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    did you look at cosmic fangs of rage and moding a critical core for secondary offense? It's actually better than slicers for dps.

I'd like to see some numbers on that.​​
    Cool cool. This definitely helps.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • phasestarphasestar Posts: 116 Arc User
    Thank you for this, very helpful to know how they compare. Do you have any idea how well the Aurum Gear compares to something like Merc?
    edited April 2019
    phasestar wrote: »
    Thank you for this, very helpful to know how they compare. Do you have any idea how well the Aurum Gear compares to something like Merc?

Is that that gear that levels with you? If so then it's terrible and should be abandoned the moment you can get some Merc o3o​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User

Is that that gear that levels with you? If so then it's terrible and should be abandoned the moment you can get some Merc o3o

To be clear, that "moment" should be upon reaching level 40. You can purchase Merc gear before 40 for the level you just purchased it at, iirc.

Aurum and other "gear that adjusts its' stats as you level" are pretty good for leveling. Some of the original gear just had stats. The "newer" gear gives some bonuses, such as minor healing, minor energy gain, during combat. So, it is better than "just stats" gear.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited April 2019

What Spinny means is that Aurum performs adequately in most content except end-game level, e.g. Cosmics and QWZ.

If you have an FotM build (basically most of the MA sets and Bestial), you will perform passably at all the non-Eido Cosmics. This means you can start gaining GCR and SCR.

So, you can get around on Aurum, but, if you actually want to see your hero shine, go ahead and upgrade.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    edited April 2019
    Even before 40, around the 30s you can get a pretty big upgrade to your damage output by getting a slotted Offensive Primary and slapping a crit gem into it - doesn't need to be merc, any ol' green primary at or near your level that has a stat on it that matches up with your Form and two slots is good. Dump that chump and get yourself a hunk!​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Also, there are story missions that have gear with really nice stats. Not better than SCR/GCR gear, but better than Merc.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters