test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help With An Infernal Tank Build

benoitseanbenoitsean Posts: 322 Arc User
I have an infernal tank that I have been playing with lately. Right now he's very good at survivability but I think the damage could use a little work. He's level 34 right now. Here is the build that I have been using:

Toxic Tank Tank
v3.11:30

Super Stats
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 12: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Infernal Bolts
Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
Level 6: Supernatural Power
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Pounce (Furious Rush)
Level 14: Frenzy (Fear Sense, Poison Tipped Claws, Challenge!)
Level 17: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
Level 20: Aspect of the Bestial
Level 23: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide, Ghost Fire, Challenge!)
Level 26: Nanobot Swarm (Rejuvinating Injectors)
Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
Level 32: Imbue
Level 35: Rebirth
Level 38: Toxic Nanites
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Ooze Tunneling (Earthen Embrace)
Level 35: Shadow Skull Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Only reason why I don't have STR in any of the talents is because I mainly got it for the Juggernaut Specialization. So to make up for it I chose to use DEX in its place. But I don't know now, should I go ahead and change DEX to STR in the talents or keep it the way it is? Do you think that would boost up the damage a bit? I do want to keep Energy Shield with the Laser Knight adv (he is a toxic cyborg). I am wanting to keep him in the Tank role which is why there are several abilities using the Challenge! adv. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Comments

• Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Aspect of the bestial gives a damage bonus based on your strength. Forms are where a good chunk of your damage comes from. So, you do want quite a bit of strength in this build.
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    I'd actually offer different advice: Use Form of the Tempest (preferably with the foxbatcon invisible melee weapons swords) instead of Aspect of the Bestial. Also, if you're going to stack dex, it should be one of your super stats.

As an example, here's a (slightly modified) version of one of my tank's builds: http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=30&n=&d=11230vdbAGKL0M3043N000OF00O3039A03B801OG03L9048O039D03LD002P03CC03CM00OO0011F00CAT3T3B100000000&e=
    It should be noted that the above build is, while highly effective, also partially a theme build; Hydra (and Dark Transfusion to provide the energy to use Hydra) could easily be dropped in favor of, say, Will-o'-the-Wisp. Similarly, if you don't feel a need to be able to swap to DPS, you can drop Night Warrior and Entrancing. Rank two on Form of the Tempest is also optional; I like being able to build stacks faster and there wasn't anywhere else I really needed those advantage points... but it's more of a convenience than anything necessary to the build.

Additional thoughts, in no particular order:

I'd strongly suggest having one of your travel powers be some variant on acrobatics/athletics/superspeed - the Eidolon fight, in particular, will be frustrating without that.

Energy Shield is a good block replacer, but you'll do much better with rank 3 than with Laser Knight - rank three offers both increased damage output, and less damage taken when you actually need to block.

You only need, at most, challenge on two powers: one single target, one AoE. Also, especially if you're taking Will-o'-the-Wisp with Guide, you may not need challenge on -any- powers; healing adds to threat, and between Devour Essence as a primary attack and the AoE healing from Illumination, you're likely set. (I mean, okay, you won't be using that to rip threat off other tanks that have invested in high-ranked confront mods... but there's nothing in game that requires any sort of tank swap, so that's fine.)

I'd generally advise going for Focused Strikes over Mass Destruction - there are very few situations where AoE dps matters much, but plenty of situations where single target dps / threat is important. (Exceptions exist, obviously, such as builds where you don't have/use single target attacks.)

If you're taking Warden spec as a tank, take Elusive. Almost all of the game's most dangerous attacks are AoE, and 20% resist is more valuable defensively than anything else you could put those points into.
  • Options
    benoitseanbenoitsean Posts: 322 Arc User
    Hey thanks guys.